Misguided_Kerbal's Closet

Misguided Kerbal

I might have forgot about this. Not that I've maken much progress though, either. Anyway, here are more pics that nobody will ever see

CswSpp4.png

Ywn0N0M.png

JmNqJkX.png

dk8bXcW.png

D3Ic6Ec.png

amx1xJr.png

fSjFDso.png

PEhw98O.png

CzkcjaQ.png

2UBaKJ6.png

OboPMlD.png

e5VHKUS.png

hvfwYNI.png

YpcfKwp.png

7ZsEQIm.png

gIwcUtP.png

cYf55FJ.png

9XD0Nzv.png

gVmK86G.png

K03WGly.png

UjVvSbh.png

WTRrfUH.png

FMJ7Wrx.png

C1fuoi3.png

mLdsd1R.png

CzZDccb.png

gIzf8wX.png

To summarize - The old Mungate Station (launched in Year 2 of the save, it's currently Year 9) is upgraded with a new fuel module in preparation for the new Percheron series lander. The venerable Pegasus Heavy is also pulled out of the shed to launch a new rover design to Homestead base, which I am quite proud of.  I totally didn't crash the rover into the side of a habitat due to loss of power, nope, not me. Finally, the new Percheron lander takes to the skies, and for some reason the poodle's plume doesn't work.

Edited by Misguided Kerbal
Oh wow new page

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been busy (too busy, in fact, to even post here apparently).  

So uh, let's try something new: time to turn this into a mission report (ish). I've always wanted to do a finished mission report, but of course you can't really just go ahead and start a mission report in the middle of a save (unless you're doing a Jool-5 or something, which hopefully will be soon). But anyway, why not do it here?

First up, GalaxyComm, a new super powerful relay system:

uiYMHWD.png

Spoiler

It's a pretty standard, typical mission. A HUGE (I mean HUGE) relay sat to HKO. The new Thunderbird II launcher is pretty slick though, if I do say so myself.

hC7vUKl.png

IJGddQj.png

6uZ5PdQ.png

aAWRpw1.png

ZwE2qpX.png

WmOZPSF.png

8IHQ1Td.png

The sat isn't very heavy.

7YP5Ium.png

QnGnHQT.png

uJUeQN1.png

Not the cleanest fairing deployment, but it worked

nJykSSI.png

And just look at that. Absolutely massive reflector arrays (paired with transmitters, of course)

6IMgLEa.png

C8AVeoE.png

(is shiny)

However, that's not high enough. Let's move it to a higher orbit.

cUag2ro.png

bgr03Y9.png

esUEBV2.png

qFriMix.png

And, final orbit. GalaxyComm will go a long way to supplementing the existing StarComm relay network.

The EV-3 Scorpius leaves Duna after a long and productive expedition, being the first crew to successfully land on Duna (it's all in here, just a while back. The pain of running parallel programs.)

GqOJcqM.png

Spoiler

Cf8dYyv.png

Kerbal Alarm Clock is a lifesaver.

7nS9rtJ.png

FLrpNKZ.png

NuLZ4I2.png

Goodbye, Duna. Kerbin, here we come! 

Of course, the Koviets are not to be left behind. Meet the Leonov, the Koviets' (admittedly, inferior) response to the ANTS nuclear tug:

4wwZ6nL.png

Spoiler

Stereotypical Moniya Launch from Kojave Sands (the desert really is beautiful though, with the land shaders)

EEYuKOF.png

BnXZRux.png

v8U3ZZC.png

2FlvoHF.png

yi7jNnn.png

Beautiful separation. However, without the boosters the thrust goes into a sharp decline. The Moniya simply just isn't powerful enough to loft such a heavy payload (by Koviet standards)

PGzETB4.png

However slowly, the core stage pushes on.

WqO28Ty.png

LHRc9rC.png

With some uh.. creative maneuvers (radial out), the upper stage barely manages to pull an orbit.

IWRYev9.png

HgmCm37.png

4wwZ6nL.png

Meet Leonov 1, the first of the Leonov tugs (hopefully with more to come). Of course, this isn't all for nothing...

However late the response may be, the Koviets aren't willing to simply sit around while the other united KEC nations march on forward. Meet Lunik, the Koviet Mun landing project.

ZZwLRIZ.png

Spoiler

First, a Komrade spacecraft is launched from Kojave Sands, with 2 crew members onboard.

ZqwL0Mx.png

9oUhXGs.png

JKgV1hF.png

78NVDoY.png

Unlike the heavy Leonov, the Moniya has no problem putting the lightweight Komrade into orbit (the basic Komrade was, after all, originally designed for the Korolev launcher)

yVuwY2z.png

N2E4wmo.png

The Komrade is placed into orbit, and heads to meet its ride to the mun, Leonov-1.

ScGACIF.png

LnYhFUp.png

uP1hUqk.png

Hi, too much images you say? Sorry, I'm a sucker for plumes.

OLOECP7.png

Rendezvous and Docking is relatively straightforward, as to be expected from a spacecraft as proven as the Komrade (2nd generation, of course.)

rMFKfSr.png

The stack awaits its sibling, ready to head to the mun.

Spoiler

A little oversight here: I meant to launch the lander first, but I forgot. 

Next up on this launch campaign, Leonov-2. One thing to note, this launch was during an eclipse so it looked pretty cool. (maybe the eclipse is bad luck, just saying...)

V3aPrtR.png

5OuKJm1.png

A1heNNp.png

oZSxJM3.png

UVaVWGX.png

hT1NsFj.png

RoATU1x.png

U5lmeyj.png

Leonov-2, ready for departure. One more launch to go, the Grasshopper mun lander.

8NZ88OF.png

I'm pretty proud of this design. For one, it's compact, and it's also quite unique. This was born out of a vision to share some sort of common infrastructure with the Komrade. (In actuality, there was only one 1.25m 2-person pod and that was more spacex themed.)

AyYjLnZ.png

As light as it is, the Molniya practically leaps off the pad (with 4.5 twr, it's bound to do so.)

ZbC9NXb.png

(It was so fast, I couldn't even catch booster sep)

nA3aVfj.png

qu2VBHg.png

Somehow, the first stage ends up in orbit as well. 

5h8I1Zd.png

As the Lunik has no onboard control, this second stage has been specifically outfitted with a drone core to allow rendezvous with the Leonov-2.

Mt2dMT9.png

PNIcCzP.png

Zei9MpF.png

fQ7NdVI.png

And, docked. Both vessels now await departure.

First to go is the Grasshopper-Leonov 2 stack, dubbed Lunik 2 (the other stack is Lunik 1)

Z2b8fom.png

VUie8m1.png

X8sXg06.png

It settles into orbit, awaiting the Komrade and its crew.

xFRlJ0K.png

veXFrHT.png

9kushlg.png

OF6Y4ke.png

The Komrade leaves the Leonov tug, and heads to dock with the Grasshopper.

YSEFZEg.png

4mNKSGm.png

ShE8NYG.png

5yDdyrp.png

Fully docked, and ready to go. Time to land.

Bl0ulDE.png

hBGz3kn.png

jRIPh67.png

8LcEZQY.png

aE9RPT4.png

utZOkg3.png

ZZwLRIZ.png

Tlf6eJb.png

Turns out, without the comforting hand of mechjeb, I've been getting pretty rusty (for reference, the last fully manual landing I did was the landing of Ares 3 on Duna). This was the fifth attempt. However, we made it!

Spoiler

bhS83dH.png

are you kidding me.

I tried reloading quicksaves, and even doing some weird stuff:

atcyf4v.png

for some reason, nope.

what a disappointment.

However, there was an issue with the airlock systems and after a few hours of trying, controllers at Kojave gave the order to abort.

F749l1K.png

0Q82lLW.png

If nothing else, I really do like the design of the Grasshopper, especially the upper stage.

BIs14kN.png

I told you it's cute.

amAjUHj.png

Look at the little thing go!

TfFlH1r.png

JC0sxwg.png

T2D9SH1.png

WK1yeNJ.png

After merely a day on the Munar surface (so close, yet so far), the crew of Lunik (1?) are ready to leave.

o6VM8J0.png

A quick visual inspection is performed. No problems are found, other than the annoying airlock.

NZPp52j.png

LYc1hHM.png

The tiny upper stage is left to deorbit.

6HE26zR.png

UADxOYT.png

Meanwhile, Komrade rejoins Leonov. Time to head home.

F51E5zf.png

mceXweR.png

zerJX3u.png

Wb1T8Dq.png

MvW06zm.png

U6fDS4u.png

YAkGnBf.png

1lSydZB.png

mVe1J1Q.png

FoSlG6Z.png

gmmYK3U.png

Lunik 1 lands, surprisingly close to the KSC.

Of course, the Koviets aren't going to just let the Lunik disappointment forever hinder their progress. Officials claimed it was 'just a test of the surface hardware.' Meanwhile, the Koviets have a new surprise up their sleeve:

9QhnBGL.png

Spoiler

HkJY0kh.png

Meet the new Pletsek launcher. Using the same 2.5 m core technology as the KEC alliance, but retaining the traditional 1.875m cores as boosters, Pletsek is finally a challenge to the KEC's stable of launchers, particularly the Thunderbird line.

QNAW1K2.png

3nl7eqg.png

Lf980eH.png

For the simple task of lifting the new ACTS spacecraft (intended as a successor to the cramped Komrade), Pletsek is simply overbuilt.

7KpoMab.png

YnrNpRz.png

JnFH9J3.png

dpJ8gHa.png

R1na3Pk.png

9QhnBGL.png

The new ACTS spacecraft uses a state of the art Pandora command pod, seating up to 4 kerbonauts. Using the same monopropellant engine technology as the Grasshopper, ACTS promises a cheaper and more efficient way of powering a spacecraft.

A1pxj24.png

6e9mWVw.png

After a few orbits, the ACTS is ready for deorbiting (a new station for the ACTS is yet to be constructed, as Kerbin Station, a project led by the KEC, is still in the works. Who knows, maybe a new Koviet station? Koviet expeditions to Duna or Eve? Do note that the EV-4 tempest Gilly mission, which still hasn't left yet, is a joint KEC-Koviet project.)

z7TUUYV.png

0J3XtRp.png

IUesfZk.png

JvEhbdx.png

BdjCyzV.png

WXohUqF.png

3KQWohJ.png

bd3eQBG.png

And, splashdown! 

somehow I accidentally pressed enter and submitted the post before I was done.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, it's been a while eh? But in the pursuit of documenting the history of my save, I shall continue on my quest of uploading to imgur albums and copy pasting links.

And boy, have I been busy. Really busy. I don't think I've ever had this many pictures (I had 705 items in my screenshot folder before the usual cleanup, which is translated into 21 imgur albums of screenshots. They could be consolidated into less, but I split them up into missions/parts of missions. Mods, if you have a problem with all these images, please let me know.

Anyway, here's a quick recap of what happens:

- Voyager Station, Molniya Station, and the KISS all get deorbited. They've been in orbit in a long time (look back through the pages, everything has been documented here).

- The Koviets finally land on the mun (for reals this time). 

- Kerbin Station, and the Koviet counterpart Molniya II are constructed and brought to full operational capacity.

- A new crew shuttle is designed, tested, and flown, and subsequently used for Kerbin Station.

- The Koviets construct Nauka station, a station in a highly inclined Munar orbit. (Soon they'll also build one at Minmus).

Jeez even that quick recap seemed long. Let's get on with it. (Everything below will be in chronological order).

First, probably the most minor thing, a quick rover excursion. (I was inspired after reading some of @king of nowhere's delightful mission reports)

ywbtuzE.png

Spoiler

Using the MMEV already stationed at Homestead Base, Roddock and whoever the other guy was (I forgot their name) go for a quick drive. 

YfbJtr0.png

If you look, you can see Homestead base in the background. It's located at the bottom of a crater, so there are steep walls to climb. 

TWlEusY.png

The (short) trek continues.

ywbtuzE.png

The MMEV is purpose built for such a task. You can't really see it here, but there are two spark engines attached to the rear, which gives it a boost when needed (especially for someone impatient like me). However, the MMEV can climb the walls on motor power alone, going at 5 m/s. The engines push that to 21 m/s.

w8XFvMt.png

Cresting the edge, we're at the top!

91AOEsq.png

Ka4tCGe.png

Roddock goes outside to simply plant a flag and admire the sights. it's quite a view, though you can't see Homestead base from here (it's not within render distance, as the rover climbed nearly 2km).

3HZhgtw.png

Flying is fun.

0ARYU4S.png

vTKZ5l5.png

And that's it for the short trip, we'll get back to them later. Now there's the problem of going downhill on a 45 degree slope...

Next up, Voyager Station is deorbited. 

L4o49al.png

Spoiler

Voyager Station has been around since pretty much the beginning of the KEC's space program. It's got a lot of history, (so much, in fact, that I forgot about it after the construction of the KISS.) 

However, it's been a good run, but it has to go. No need to contribute more space junk to the ever growing collection of it, since it'll be decommissioned anyway.

Mg9cKmp.png

First up, the crew pack up into the Traveler capsule, almost ancient by current standards, a relic. However, it's still functioning and there's no point in throwing away a perfectly good capsule. The remaining 5 crew stay onboard Voyager Station, awaiting a crew ferry.

L4o49al.png

c8md5Cd.png

32fW50X.png

0pDkqDg.png

VHF3kup.png

1U6poi9.png

The Traveler endures its travels safely and lands west of the KSC, the last of its kind. 

Meanwhile,  the KEC hires a Kraken to ferry down 3 more crew, hoisted up on an Eagle booster.

iKK4E4A.png

OBuzJuc.png

SLP9XB5.png

veEXDJn.png

(did I mention the plume?)

YIHmC0Y.png

GE64Dt0.png

L59PUnN.png

CtZ3DW5.png

pggEf9x.png

P4zPZ4A.png

However, the Traveler wasn't the only relic still onboard. In fact, Voyager Station still contains a Pioneer capsule intended for emergency use. It just so happens that with 3 crew allocated to the Kraken, the remaining 2 fit perfectly into the Pioneer. Due to my laziness proper maintenance of the systems, the Pioneer was perfectly usable. So away they go.

N1fU8pA.png

ssjhNew.png

DOnF85n.png

lkCqTnw.png

XkroXdX.png

The Pioneer safely makes it back to Kerbin, not too much of a surprise.

Meanwhile, the Kraken deorbits Voyager station using its hefty service module, and undocks with the final remaining crew.

Y92jV3B.png

(you can't really see anything)

QPgdyj9.png

HsGHsxf.png

b5cZoxK.png

sqyB9VW.png

f1hua7N.png

bEtZNvI.png

HmjzaE2.png

The Kraken safely brings the crew back to Kerbin.

Spoiler

funnily enough, I had a kraken attack while descending with the Kraken under timewarp (I accidentally engaged the monopropellant engines with the parachute active. I managed to recover, but as a weird side effect about 200 or the 300 debris was deleted. Weird side effect, but unfortunately no pictures.)

We're only getting started. Next up, the assembly of Molniya II.

BtVYUSz.png

Spoiler

First up is the core module, with the main solar panel arrays, the airlock, and a few other things like communication and radiators.

JlGvVez.png

P9TGBTg.png

gHaDXte.png

ueaqYwi.png

Gt5OIis.png

y2MHaaD.png

MVEAndw.png

zespnDb.png

Everything is deployed with little issue, the massive solar arrays unfolding perfectly.

Next up, the first Zvezda service module is launched.

vQeENJp.png

USWUV5j.png

CMgx9HQ.png

TMZhX0q.png

DdbtTnh.png

The Zvezda is a neat little module. In fact, I might even repurpose it for future Koviet interplanetary missions. Hmmm...

E52pGy0.png

jpGHUn2.png

I just really love the aesthetic of this tiny little service module. 

43tLeyH.png

8GkJEf4.png

2Hh87vJ.png

And, docked. One down, three to go. I'll spare everyone (well, the two people that are reading this) most of the nearly identical screenshots of the 3 more launches (4, including the crew launch.) The only real thing of note is that during launching of this station, I discovered that the Pletsek launcher was simply too powerful with all 4 boosters for this meager payload, so the Pletsek Light (one core), Pletsek-2 (two boosters), and the full Pletsek Heavy are developed. You'll be seeing those in the future.

9XtUCYi.png

SpqvlZj.png

5BqBvfI.png

6Ff9WD8.png

POA03eS.png

saxqY6O.png

9Lf2G48.png

LlogQVu.png

cfm5gDL.png

You see this module? I call it the Domoy (I'm sure everyone can pick up on the naming scheme now). Anyway, it's heavy enough that I can't include a service module (CoM problems with the Pletsek). The Leonov tugs already in LKO will be used to push these to rendezvous and docking.

QU3DhDl.png

IxJaFTS.png

j4OZpqj.png

HCuCQoN.png

pVMu6LE.png

Bh0Fpe0.png

TBdsYnE.png

kkkzJ8I.png

8osaD03.png

JIIBrjE.png

An ACTS (actually, two) are launched to fully crew the station.

jipAPyA.png

kZRtICn.png

S4JWRM9.png

mFwKnXn.png

xVJgBo0.png

IpuKmbk.png

yBfioaw.png

Oy8irAW.png

hTw4447.png

ALQJ1pr.png

XhRJQIy.png

gwubqcQ.png

QHL6eF8.png

CcDuuEn.png

BtVYUSz.png

And Molniya II is fully complete. It can easily accommodate two more ACTS, and I'll probably dock them in time. But for now, Molniya II is at full operational capacity.

Of course, with its successor in place and fully operational, the original Molniya Station can now be decommissioned and deorbited.

GuzPb1p.png

Spoiler

And with Molniya II complete, the Koviet Union temporarily has 2 fully operational stations in LKO (beating out the KEC, with an unimpressive 0. Don't worry though, they'll come back soon enough.)

However, it is only temporary, as now Molniya Station can be decommissioned and deorbited. First, the 3 remaining original Komrade modules leave with their crews, one by one.

WwJ8mTT.png

BObvhaC.png

a2XjHZM.png

ge0Ob8m.png

V87lm0Q.png

mGEfrNe.png

aMI6zar.png

Rlg3dC7.png

Os0Kzy1.png

(The original Komrades have no floats)

zt85kPv.png

NmVLO65.png

1utUyuK.png

RvsD4DW.png

MYTizFp.png

t2x3nbr.png

WlaA1Bd.png

qKj2Kox.png

vK3zEOr.png

NbmeFHQ.png

BKfQX3Y.png

JJW3QTU.png

DaW86V7.png

fFYBMXr.png

UsnW8QO.png

Finally, Molniya itself is deorbited using the service module of the remaining resupply ship.

kYz3pND.png

mU0fdfs.png

Ahiw4hH.png

GuzPb1p.png

rmKg4Jk.png

(wow look, a cross!)

Now let's get to arguably the most exciting stuff here, the Lunik campaign.

yD6KZOP.png

Spoiler

It's time for the Koviets to finally land on the mun for good (at least, after the forgotten landing of Komrade 10 and the disappointment that was Lunik 2), following a clean sheet redesign of the original Lunik design and hardware, with everything only tied together by name.

First up, the Cricket lander is launched on a single-core Pletsek Light.

Tb2FPkf.png

Y4BElCW.png

Js7R7Ry.png

eSwo9as.png

QtdDJXw.png

H1vH6zz.png

uMkzuwM.png

hk3BRNO.png

p2dKWo2.png

Being such a lightweight vehicle, it's fits perfectly into the payload capability of the Pletsek Light (at one point, I thought of just swapping the whole thing out for a single core Glushko.)

Next, the Solokov, or 'falcon' tug is launched.  Finally, the Koviets have a formidable rival to the KEC's ANTS nuclear tug, with a Wolfhound engine packing loads of punch.

3jCG7aB.png

nZwaJWR.png

8Mgf4bP.png

xrir2fs.png

LRAlKZv.png

Tl0d7oM.png

6pw0Awj.png

GQUDfxe.png

Looks absolutely amazing.

Next, an ACTS-L, the uprated version of the ACTS for lunar operations, was launched with the 3 crew onboard.

OF86iOs.png

F7D0sUz.png

VFJvken.png

bOam5wl.png

tb0vV8L.png

yrHlkm5.png

8dyRAms.png

79VYBza.png

E5jw1KJ.png

The ACTS has multiple jobs. First, it maneuvers to dock with the Cricket, and then the whole stack proceeds to dock with the Solokov tug.

8Ul33PV.png

eXwipfV.png

gl8lsng.png

Gf5TVXO.png

LAMnPGl.png

VrS4Wsd.png

bw53nCO.png

The Lunik stack is now fully assembled and ready for departure.

CkVHL2N.png

Moskow, Lunik-3. You are go for Munar injection.

BG82LRJ.png

Z5zUmsu.png

iKRNS5M.png

ltwW1qD.png

TidAUrL.png

Lunar Injection was flawless, and the stack easily settled into a stable Munar orbit.

Time for the landing. Thomplan and Lesby board the lander, while the remaining crew member (I forgot their name) stays aboard the ACTS.

ZkJs0vN.png

sfYWeea.png

TmoUYvK.png

yD6KZOP.png

7fiUO9F.png

iAu9VDH.png

The Cricket makes its landing on a gentle slope, just on the rim of a large crater.

a7VE1Wd.png

Z1uiK6l.png

Thomplan descends the ladder.

CqeCBqZ.png

43qUV1w.png

Lesby follows suit.

eSVkH2S.png

vxt5j16.png

Thomplan plants the flag.

GdvQOnf.png

Obligatory photo op.

751iHSY.png

B9Nyfve.png

Woah, what's that thing?

VhmUfOM.png

cey85t4.png

X4swJP7.png

A very cratery crater.

RSAbrfO.png

I'm too lazy to walk Thomplan all the way back, so he flies.

M1kBpdm.png

9qrnet7.png

Thomplan and Lesby get to work deploying the surface science.

SVFT0Ut.png

47FJkZx.png

It's Lesby's turn to see the sights.

13MmJuZ.png

vLjIJKA.png

3hWjvrr.png

She makes her way to the edge of the crater. What a view!

7OX4IT7.png

u8Mwhi3.png

UrAgk13.png

More cool rocks!

Is7yPfe.png

rIwGhD1.png

h0nhW9J.png

The footprints left behind almost look real.

8tQJUdb.png

LSPr0XO.png

Spoiler

9w9kQXf.png

An unexpected kraken attack kills Thomplan. Turns out my last quicksave was right after the landing... let's repeat that process again.

r7rsT4E.png

QATdPBT.png

The crew will stay overnight in the lander before taking off. After all, they are exhausted from the extensive EVA (and they need to wait for the optimal rendezvous window.)

b8R6Q4M.png

Liftoff!

7oye93f.png

LfTVtzj.png

BVrQy4i.png

ntH6Kks.png

9COAoFM.png

aJPdgoR.png

The Cricket makes its way to rendezvous with the ACTS stack.

EBkQ0Zf.png

4qipjTW.png

With the crew safely back onboard, the lander is jettisoned. In future operations, the Cricket lander will be docked to a station, refueled, and reused.

1wcZrYK.png

Os3eOVB.png

ml6LvIf.png

Time to leave.

xiiVWGv.png

wvo6OCz.png

mRr4C40.png

I uh.. managed to accidentally get the stack into a retrograde orbit.

m6d9OOQ.png

mbWoZCr.png

Eq2OF59.png

Due to the retrograde orbit though, the reentry is relatively gentle.

vDVsmA7.png

4A6fHK2.png

Not to be outdone by the Koviets, the KEC presents their latest project: Kerbin Station.

KqvaFwU.png

Spoiler

Kerbin Station has been a long time coming, so it's great to finally get all of this out of my head. Let's get to it. Using cheap, expendable Thunderbird-2 launchers (not to be confused with the Thunderbird II launcher), the modules were cheaply and inexpensively launched. 

H1mcLk5.png

Ert4e6u.png

U08iLQw.png

23sWNb5.png

VIDMmQs.png

e7y3YMU.png

The first, and also the simplest launch, the central connecting node, Unity. Followed by the node, the Command Service Block Challenger is launched.

vMdP4Zn.png

dEd4aEb.png

2cAfaxh.png

OScJo0m.png

dBgcrfU.png

zdprFdl.png

BbTVmfQ.png

pAKrjOK.png

s8gP5Qp.png

2skQzqw.png

yEAqP8K.png

lkadKod.png

eaATfjp.png

Next, the central docking module Gateway is launched.

qfFI3vM.png

zXJG6Wi.png

9HSKzdh.png

A docking port was lost due to Mechjeb automatically deploying the fairing, but otherwise a flawless launch.

Followed by Gateway, the identical truss sections are launched.

rHwzN8t.png

Ox0apGp.png

PnDz8jh.png

nQ0x6eJ.png

kGwunbW.png

iW9EnIn.png

6y22Qaw.png

RJqXQFV.png

PVP1gtP.png

IEgJJi5.png

Now this is starting to look like a real station. 2 more modules to go, the Destiny habitation module and the Quest airlock module.

E4wPiAn.png

mmSLU3u.png

5IyrN1l.png

VQc4qRR.png

vfROmhQ.png

The modules arrives on the usual expendable tug.

ESSV2Yk.png

yvVzioy.png

LXF9DWF.png

woTZHmb.png

Xf6K7Sp.png

m7OY0T6.png

pIZmCj4.png

6fq1gNC.png

phYV6RY.png

H7Nd8q8.png

M13mMCL.png

hYXXZa4.png

bMKnzxO.png

Finally, the station is complete. A Callisto spacecraft is launched to man the station to bring it to IOC.

K96S4f4.png

IEx5k1o.png

w275jUb.png

MeJwzJ3.png

TxXskvU.png

kcVsEAF.png

jIkOFgB.png

The routine task of transpositioning is performed, with an effortless extraction of the orbital module.

XNg7ngX.png

Ic4WSpQ.png

0gyzS8d.png

dbgr4g5.png

i0rMsnS.png

oBAixkL.png

Npom2LR.png

Egq5wM2.png

Spoiler

Finally, with crew onboard we can admire the beautiful IVAs by Nertea. They never get old.

570y8da.png

MtW4auL.png

RIyQqR7.png

NxBOT6J.png

A quick spacewalk is performed to admire the space station.

zFXn5Rd.png

5GEfrEg.png

yfXVXzi.png

Not bad, if I say so myself. 

N42DrHJ.png

Due to Kerbin Station having an unprecedented crew capacity, the KEC debuts its next spacecraft: the falcon.

DbclRVr.png

Spoiler

The revolutionary shuttle design, with a crew capacity of 6 is inspired by the original Phoenix SRLS spaceplane. Using a recoverable tank and cheap expendable SRBs, the new spaceplane, dubbed Falcon, is a new paradigm in crew launch.

After multiple unmanned test flights, a crewed test flight is cleared for launch, with just 2 kerbals onboard.

1PDIDLf.png

DbclRVr.png

EVRKRrm.png

X5AMYnw.png

AhP7NJV.png

SUeTsFt.png

aT7XTjN.png

MKaLTTM.png

pzZt35w.png

w3TjWpB.png

0kqCnDT.png

The launch is flawless and the Falcon easily makes it to orbit.

96mUFLA.png

xOvfAtQ.png

qtrnaP7.png

Its next job is to rendezvous with the KISS, performing a fly around of the soon to be retired station.

eHoBlvN.png

2qIWdRk.png

acDZFJ6.png

Like all new spacecraft, an obligatory EVA is performed.

cO5IkJb.png

twDFQgo.png

WMLAHaw.png

IhUOfzp.png

ZJDayoY.png

pKc7NF5.png

Time to go.

SQeHQvy.png

xkgkpMy.png

iIc2khq.png

G74VsCM.png

iBW5h9b.png

(Since I overestimated my reentry profile, I had to ditch the falcon in the ocean. But overall, a successful flight!)

With the success of the Falcon, a fully crewed mission is cleared for Kerbin Station.

xg0hE3z.png

ls0wuO2.png

DpqtoV9.png

EzkNcDT.png

jtuAlce.png

oNUlKyd.png

wkUY9Y6.png

5QDmAPM.png

hcBLg5e.png

2PoyO9q.png

The Callisto is moved from the primary ports to one of the ports on the Multiple Docking adapter (The Falcon can't dock with those ports)

XpfkdBj.png

Because of the need for symmetry even more crew (Currently the Station has 9 crew onboard, 6 from the Falcon and 3 from the Callisto-Thunderbird), another Callisto-Thunderbird is launched.

uiAyZtg.png

oWl6Ttz.png

8PBNcYk.png

gMbmkbe.png

pnQGBLq.png

FMU9YLs.png

gej28F8.png

b49o0MH.png

5ultupc.png

PZRQP4h.png

BV2FJsV.png

KqvaFwU.png

JzXEHjh.png

The KISS is now officially at full operational capacity. Whoo!

With Kerbin Station completed, the KISS is decommissioned and deorbited, to befall the same fate as its cousin Molniya.

eOSBDOQ.png

Spoiler

8emitck.png

V6lFt2Q.png

First up, the last of the Komrade I generation departs the KISS. It's even a Komrade-A, featuring the Docking Port Jr. 

ep9v7e8.png

bhPIPzw.png

2W2oVnc.png

N0IQjF0.png

vCarAyb.png

4qWF68R.png

Another routine process for a reliable generation of spacecraft. Finally, I can say with confidence that this is truly the last of the original Komrade series.

Next, another Traveler. I thought I had gotten rid of all of them, but I'm pretty sure this is the last one.

tgRgBxC.png

3VkC6iB.png

ojUfLMm.png

irsJ1x8.png

Another routine process, with the last Traveler spacecraft recovered. I really hope this is the last one.

45bPlET.png

Finally, the Kraken departs the KISS as well.

8pR5QbC.png

wQQduSi.png

Ubb2ff1.png

With all the crew gone and safely back on Kerbin, the KISS itself is finally deorbited using an old resupply module.

o5GnH53.png

eOSBDOQ.png

Funnily enough, the solar arrays caused so much drag there was minimal atmospheric heating, and most things stayed perfectly fine.

HlcPFUz.png

0Au3MJ6.png

Finally, the solar arrays are sheared off in the lower atmosphere, and the rest of the remaining KISS disintegrates in ocean.

With the new generation of Kerbin space stations complete, the Koviets launch a new station.. to the Mun.

ekO6jva.png

Spoiler

In an effort to outpace the KEC and build their own munar base and infrastructure, the first step is now to establish a new station in low munar orbit.

Using slightly modified Zvezda modules from Molniya II and a custom core module, Molniya is relatively inexpensive and easy to construct, while lacking no capability.

3cun6dQ.png

oeO4kMD.png

RLJQy6R.png

AWhZp76.png

LFs5fGR.png

speaDaw.png

7IxWhYa.png

npaeHEv.png

The remaining fuel in the second stage is used to place the stack into a Munar injection, while the service module attached to the core does the rest.

FoC44Dy.png

dA0WZRq.png

IjqKbCm.png

half eclipse? Not sure what that is.

L73rCKE.png

CajwESr.png

4kVGgKl.png

PPuBBc1.png

Zi8bt2W.png

hQ6xaRO.png

The new station, christined Nauka, is placed in a lower orbit at ~70km for a more scenic view better efficiency for the Cricket landers. It is also placed in an almost-polar inclination. Unlike the KEC's equatorial Mungate Station and the corresponding Homestead Base, the Koviets plan to one-up that by building a base near the poles to take full advantage of the water ice and possible ore located there.

QmhuPmO.png

PmTFnju.png SMEvGv0.png

fvTQBx5.png

qJfgwDJ.png

The boosters are staged a tad bit early.

odUI0VY.png

SUBzEy7.png

uGGn3q4.png

oMc9ak9.png

wxaI99a.png

znyTxFN.png

ZSC6y5r.png

BRUl4On.png

kQbVCA7.png

8i39B73.png

YpLwv99.png

5D43kCF.png

One down, one to go.

sQkpr5C.png

kkEnFMv.png

WnmIuyM.png

mwJC3RI.png

WaUekv9.png

7uNgYlF.png

DVBr9QL.png

A munar eclipse occurred, putting the Mun in total darkness.

Z1yR6mb.png

Y56y9SH.png

Pretty neat sight.

zmKGMH7.png

klVpeS8.png

6ifs3Ed.png

gilbCKt.png

ekO6jva.png

X2wuJ3T.png

Nauka is now complete.

If you somehow read through all of that (or just didn't bother to read everything), then wow, thank you for making it down here. I've been wondering if maybe I should turn this into an actual mission report, if the two people that read this think that's a good idea. Anyway, that's it to probably my longest ever forum post. More will come soon (and in much shorter amounts).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.