The Great Migration

RoninFrog

@RoninFrog is doing another challenge!  So he needs a spot to dump all his stuff so it doesn't clutter the challenge thread!  This challenge is the...

It is a pretty intense challenge covering the first ten years of the game, with launch mass limits, life support, rocket construction time, and transfer window management.  Hm!

First, I need to create the save I will be using.  "Game difficulty settings: 'Enable Comm Network' ON, 'Re-entry heating' 100%. Advanced settings: 'Part pressure limits' ON, 'Part g-force limits' ON, 'Kerbal g-force limits' ON."  Okay, I've never played with part G-force limits and I don't even know what 'Part pressure limits' does, so here goes, I guess!

Unexciting screenshot of game settings:

Spoiler

55CIoL4.jpg

Edit: I check "Require Signal for Control" when I launch the "Positive Uplink" relays.  All crafts before them are manned.

Z1LvSq9.jpg

Here's a collection of all the crafts launched:

Spoiler

Payloads:
SLV              -   The fully reusable SSTO SLV I used to launch 30 ton NPM's.
Launch 1    -   Minmus ISRU
Launch 2    -   13-kerbal base segment
Launch 3    -   Minmus ISRU
Launch 4    -   Duna station and space bus core
Launch 5    -   Space bus tanks, relays, LS, and probe tanker
Launch 6    -   13-kerbal base segment
Launch 7    -   13-kerbal base segment and probe tanker
Launch 8    -   Crewed tanker and probe tanker
Launch 9    -   Large probe tanker and 16 rovers
Launch 10  -   7-kerbal segment, stabilizers, and LS
Launch 11  -   Lab, narrow band, chute pack, LS, and tanker
Launch 12  -   23-kerbal segment and tanker
Launch 13  -   ISRU, manned tanker, and probe tanker
Launch 14  -   Tanker and LS

Crew Shuttles:
Standard Shuttle    -   6 kerbal SSTO, Rapier free
Large Shuttle          -   36 kerbal SSTO, Rapier free

So here's what's up next.  I need a Standard Launch Vehicle to loft my payloads to orbit.  "One prototype of the heavy lifter ... will be ready with payload for launch pad roll-out on Day 40. New lifters will be delivered on a regular, fixed schedule."  The schedule is calculated as one launch vehicle every "NPM (Nominal Mass Payload) * 6" days.  The first Duna launch window is in 220 days, so if I want to launch two payloads, I will nead a NPM of 30 tons.  Now it's time for designing!

Spoiler

Bam!  Here's what my SLV is going to be.  It has a calculated 3450 m/s with a 30 ton payload and a bigger fairing then I ever plan on using.

fL45kum.jpg

I gotta prove it's 30-ton capability, though.  To test it, I loaded it up with three large ore tanks, two at 1200 ore and one at 0 for a total of exactly 30 tons.  I also slapped a massive fairing on.

tkgdoiL.jpg

I can technically launch payloads up to a 180x180km orbit, so I'm gonna need to save on dV to get there.  It's gonna be a long, fiery ascent.

70w84o5.jpg

Oh boy!  I hope this marshmallow doesn't turn out like a lot of my real-life ones!

bA8H6SQ.jpg

Looking pretty good!  I doubt I'll need all 633 m/s to circularize.

5DPVJOR.jpg

In orbit, just under the max:

8SdbAMB.jpg

Payload separation:

eQ8iZO8.jpg

Gonna lower my Pe first so the reentry is less abrupt.

jH8QYB7.jpg

Here we go!

vo4eMrk.jpg

Oh dear!  It's getting hot now!

xEwJUun.jpg

I had to slow down with the Mammoth to avoid destruction, so I'm gonna be a little short of the KSC.

YZnrTYT.jpg

Chutes are out successfully, no poofing today!

Azs9GYb.jpg

Landed!  First test successful!

bMO216Y.jpg

First two payload designs:

Spoiler

I can launch two 30 ton payloads, one early and one at the launch window.  So here's what I'm gonna do with that.  Launch one is gonna be this thing.  It's gonna take a pilot and engineer to Minmus, load up the mostly empty tank, come back to LKO, and bring the second payload out to Minmus.  The living quarters are an Mk2 Lander can and a Mk1 Crew Cabin, 4 kerbal capacity. "Habitation space is modeled by providing one extra kerbal seat for each kerbal."  The ore tank has 7.5 ore in it for life support on the trip to Minmus. "Life support mass for each kerbal is calculated as: 0.04 Ore / day / kerbal."  I'm only gonna need less than one unit, but 7.5 is the minimum I can put in the tank.

MCfBCuT.jpg

And launch two is gonna be this, the first part of the actual Duna base.  It has space for 26 kerbals (13 with the habitation rules), a drill for life support on Duna, a fuel tank on the back to refuel the Curdie, two full ore tanks for the trip, and some PB-NUK's for for electrical needs. "This is modeled in stock by having ... fuel cell/PK-NUK generators with minimum output of 2.2 EC/minute."  Oh, I need to add an OKTO2 for scanning biomes and get rid of one of the lights so I'm under 30 tons.  Don't let me forget.

23pGpp9.jpg

First launch setting out for Minmus:

Spoiler

Ok, it is now 40 days into the game, and it's time to launch the Curdie to Minmus!

0zIra2N.jpg

I waited 22 minutes to get aligned with Minmus' inclination, and then I loaded up Geneul and Derfel into the Curdie and loaded the Curdie onto the extravagantly named SLV.  Geneul is going to be flying, and Derfel is going to be keeping an eye on the drills, rover wheels, and parachutes.

CQFuQTW.jpg

I'm gonna take the gravity turn a little gentler than last time since I had a lot of fuel left over.  Also, I will be trying to align with Minmus.

WBtz7yM.jpg

Engine cutoff is around 8 km higher than the test launch.  I feel a lot better about this one.

urldLX3.jpg

We will go to space today!  Let's try to remain there, Geneul.  The Ap is technically 500m above the max, but air resistance should fix that.

Zy2vPZL.jpg

In orbit, and the Curdie has separated from the SLV.  I have got to think of a better name than "S-L-V".  Maybe Mallow Stick.  Yeah, I like that a lot better.

FPKpiw6.jpg

We will cut a long story short and say I landed the SLV in the foothills near the KSC, near a couple weird toadstool things that I'd never seen before.  They looked like ground scatter trees, but they were like two feet tall and ground scatters are off.

8HZtTpg.jpg

The Curdie burns for Minmus, which required less dV from a 180km orbit than a Mun transfer usually does from 70km.  I might just save those droptanks for later.

z3IaXHP.jpg

Gonna need a slight correction as my inclination was so accurate that I am actually on an impact trajectory. :cool:

XmzcC8S.jpg

Well, that's all for today!  Tomorrow I will hopefully land on Minmus and refuel, if all goes well.

Edited by RoninFrog

Arrival at Minmus and return to LKO:

Spoiler

Up next is Geneul and Derfel landing on Minmus!

8 days later, Geneul and Derfel have consumed 0.81 units of ore (technically supposed to be 0.64, but they were hungry) and are performing the capture burn.

SMhTsrK.jpg

At 80% cutoff, Minmus has several vastly different options for mining, ranging from steep mountain slopes to deserted polar highlands to one tiny frozen lake.  I'll take the lake.

rGupyDJ.jpg

Lake!

cfVXHoJ.jpg

Oh yeah!  Jackpot!  Look at that ore!  Plunge those drills into the nearly edible surface, Derfel!

6WKqWIm.jpg

Flag time!  I'll definitely be coming back here in 180 days, so flag marks the spot!

yPddUsm.jpg

The tanks were refueled by evening, and Geneul and Derfel were ready to head home.  Now I get a chance to show off the fancy gadgets I have on this thing. :cool:

wS3LDXv.jpg

My rovers and spaceplanes have always been prone to getting stuck on flat surfaces due to the fact that they can't nose up.  Not this one!  I put a Twitch engine cluster on the bottom of Derfel's pod, and it worked beautifully.

wnEcBnQ.jpg

Minmus orbit:

8JZONGh.jpg

I'm gonna bring Geneul and Derfel back to Kerbin until the launch of the Alkaline.  The Curdie will remain in LKO.

c1ftIyP.jpg

Back in LKO, Geneul and Derfel have eaten 0.85 units of ore.  It's really hard to nail a specific number with the drain valve.

By heading out to Minmus for a brief refuel, I have approximately doubled the fuel in the Curdie.  Why launch extra fuel to orbit in the precious NPM when there's already a lot out there?

BA1lDvT.jpg

Return to Kerbin on crew shuttle:

Spoiler

The rules are kind of loose about the crew shuttle requirements, so I'm gonna be using this one early on in this challenge.  Valentina is going to get Geneul and Derfel and bring them back until day 220.

7CBCazU.jpg

This shot of the launch somehow reminds me of one of the loading screens.  I don't really remember which one.

RzcVZsE.jpg

Oof!  Valentina's more than a little bit early!  I'm used to performing LKO rescues, and there's a huge difference between 70 and 180km.

XHDLg5i.jpg

Separation of the first stage:

VdYdKyv.jpg

The intercept is lined up:

W3NAJhO.jpg

Rendezvoused!  I didn't see anything in the rules against EVA transfer, so I assume it's okay.

8rH1xcl.jpg

I seem to always be a little short, so I'm gonna aim long.

QiDZv8Q.jpg

Ooooo dear!  Looks to be way, way short!  I just hope I clear the mountains!

0tZtc0P.jpg

Well, I didn't really clear the mountains.  At least everyone survived!

BmtVuTU.jpg

Edited by RoninFrog

LKO crew delivery:

Spoiler

Alright folks, it is now day 218 and the Alkaline is just getting the last touch-ups.  So it's time to tell the first to colonists to say goodbye to their families for possibly the last time, because they're going to space!

lRakpba.jpg

This time, Sanberry Kerman will be flying the Curdie, Serena Kerman will be monitoring the ISRU, and Tidrin will be sending them on their way.

59IBlmD.jpg

Less than 10km intercept before adjustments is plenty close.

nFsCAKy.jpg

Rendezvoused, hopefully all the supplies are still there after several months and Jeb hasn't snuck aboard and gobbled them.

3PVvIKW.jpg

Tidrin returns to Kerbin alone:

isjbQP6.jpg

Landed just off the coast!  Nice!

hI4Njhy.jpg

The next launch is gonna be big...  It's the Duna base, scraping by the NPM at 29.998 tons!  After all the gluttony performed by Geneul and Derfel, I'm not sure they will be able to come!

Edited by RoninFrog

Setbacks and considerations of life choices:

Spoiler

There was a recent report from Serena on the Curdie that the ore mined from Minmus was poisonous and therefore inedible!  Not good at all! 

So the poison ore was jettisonned...

ZDL8FBJ.jpg

...the base was redesigned...

aQGhbQ5.jpg

...and Geneul and Derfel were scratched from Duna crew roster for their incompetence on Minmus!  They won't be coming to Duna, at least on the first mission.  There will only be 13 kerbals going to Duna now.

Edited by RoninFrog

The base is sent off to Duna!

Spoiler

A day and a half later, it was time for the launch of the actual base.  I'm going to be bringing 675 units of LS ore which should last me until the next round of crafts arrive on Duna.  The Duna crew will consist of 13 kerbals, and the plan is for Sanberry and Serena to pick up the base in LKO, take it to Minmus and refuel, and then immediately head out to Duna.

TaW2iiX.jpg

Intercept:

VLCRfWJ.jpg

Docked!  There was a little extra room in the payload, so I added a small fuel tank to give the Curdie a little bit of a dV boost.

0pyq7J0.jpg

Successful booster splashdown just to the south of the KSC:

6giiKlY.jpg

Burn for Minmus!  The base is finally on its way!

6AdyOtP.jpg

The transfer window has already started, so we gotta move!  A few m/s of dV cut down the transfer time by 2 days.

KzgRIca.jpg

Braking burn at Minmus, the crew has eaten their ore.

uZsqFAU.jpg

After capturing, Sanberry and Serena split off again to land and refuel the tanks.  But not the LS tanks. :)

PhHnVu8.jpg

Back in Minmus orbit, 1775 m/s is definitely enough to get to Duna!

t26glF0.jpg

The transfer burn was performed successfully and without a screenshot, giving a transfer time of 264 days.

FKn7i83.jpg

93 days later, the encounter was refined... 

PqoqxDg.jpg

...and 48 ore was consumed.

smYkqeo.jpg

But before the kerbals get to Duna, there's other things to do!

Edited by RoninFrog

Minmus ISRU launch:

Spoiler

It's day 400 now, so time to launch something again!  Here's a slightly upgraded version of the Curdie.  It has a Wolfhound instead of a Poodle and double the LS, but it doesn't have a M700, the side droptanks, or those two ISRU-clipped dumpling tanks.

0d9XxYL.jpg

Launch!  Tidrin and Lizly will be flying the ISRU refueler this time.

8jAhYHG.jpg

Oof!  That was a little close to the limit, there!  Gonna have to be really careful when decoupling!

LTiW7Bf.jpg

The booster recovery was pretty close to the KSC.

eOzZCop.jpg

Here's the Peter in Minmus orbit.  0.9 ore was consumed on the journey, about 40% more than the right amount.

XWpgP1t.jpg

Landed at night, 30m from the flag marker.

utJnF8y.jpg

Return trajectory:

QO6QE6J.jpg

I forgot to take a picture back in LKO.  You'll have to imagine it.

Here's Arield on the pad in a crew shuttle, getting ready to go grab Tidrin and Lizly so they don't eat all the precious LS ore!

hps04hJ.jpg

Intercept plotted:

JgQ8j8g.jpg

Transfer of crew:

NFmNQ1X.jpg

Splash!

rhSEHi6.jpg

The next item on the agenda is to put kerbonaut boots on Duna's dirt!

Edited by RoninFrog

Base arrival at Duna:

Spoiler

Hey...  Look at that...  We're almost there!

xMMzkeG.jpg

The capture burn is being performed.  Note that the journey's LS ore has been consumed.

XFIV81h.jpg

Ok, I didn't know a 90% cutoff was possible on default settings.  Apparently it is!  Duna's got some seriously amazing ore!

MJs6g27.jpg

The Pe has been lowered into the atmosphere.  It's time for the first Duna landing!

7PW2zpy.jpg

That is a lot of parachutes!

hS8zFle.jpg

Landed!  A little short of the good ore, but this base is mobile!

RUZM1ic.jpg

13 kerbals have landed on Duna on Year 2, Day 65!  Start the clock!

KIX7gTR.jpg

Edited by RoninFrog

• 1 month later...

Surface sample collection:

Spoiler

After 2 months of neglect, it's time to get this mission back on track!

The first item on the list is to accomplish this achievement:

Biome diversity: Return surface samples from at least five of Duna's biomes. (+3) *This can be done all at once or separate. If scored, "Early Mission Prestige" sample does not counts toward the five.

So the plan is to get 5 different Duna samples, and then I will return them, a pilot, an engineer, and an Ike sample on the Curdie at the next Duna -> Kerbin Transfer window.

The base is in the Midland Sea, so that surface sample is easy.  Next it's time to do some rovering in the Curdie!  According to a map I found of Duna's biomes, the Lowlands should be that lighter colored patch on the horizon to the left.  There are less obstacles in the air than on the ground:

dYVkLVI.jpg

There isn't much ore in the Lowlands or Midlands, so I stopped just short of the Lowlands to grab some fuel before journeying into such barren wastelands.

QWD3oWS.jpg

I got a sample from the Lowlands and Midlands, and began ascending a very perilous slope up to the Highlands.  This is probably the worst rover terrain I've ever seen.

urT1rHc.jpg

Going down a hill in the Highlands so steep that the brakes aren't enough:

kE0JZnN.jpg

While descending from the Highlands, I drove over a cliff that resulted in an unsurvivable plummet.  So I gave a brief punch on the engines and flew the rest of the way to the Western Canyon:

4b1Q63K.jpg

5 surface samples collected, fuel tanks refilled, and flying back to base:

1Q7yrY0.jpg

Arrived!  I collected samples from Midland Sea, Lowlands, Midlands, Highlands, and Western Canyon, as well as grabbing a blueberry pile and the other BG rock along the way.

PraWmNX.jpg

Station & Space Bus launch:

Spoiler

It is now Year 2, Day 156, time to launch another 30 tons of equipment!  In order to be able to leave my kerbals on Duna longer than 4 years, I have to complete "Contingency Plans", defined as

• "Contingency Plans": Complete achievements "Backup plan", "Duna Space Station", "Duna Space Bus", and "Positive uplink". Note that the spacecraft for each achievement must be unique, or for modular designs must remain viable, at all times.

The Backup Plan will be the Peter, already launched and able to ferry four kerbals at a time from the surface to LDO without any assistance from the base.  (I hope that counts)  The next one-and-a-half items will be launched next.

Here's the payload.  The Duna Space Station is everything from the docking port up, capable of holding 3 kerbals and half of a Jumbo-64, as well as having 6 docking ports of various sizes and being able to perform rather large orbital adjustments with the 4 sparks on the bottom.  The bottom half of the payload is the core of the Duna Space Bus, capable of holding 4 kerbals.  I'll be launching the tanks, drills, radiators, and fuel cells separately.

AqqvJVR.jpg

The fairing was abnormally long, but surprisingly didn't need to expand to accommodate the payload.  Geneul and Derfel are taking another attempt at a Minmus mining mission, and Arfield is being brought along to take care of the station.

7juk9OO.jpg

Burn, burn, burn!

ajGVDpN.jpg

Orbit:

6gCPzhL.jpg

Docked to the Peter 2 hours later.  The station will now be taken to Minmus and filled with fuel, the booster will return to the KSC, and the space bus will be left in LKO to await the rest of its components.

TTVIc3W.jpg

Off to Minmus!

ViQBaPP.jpg

No adjustment burn necessary:

gVP7jHX.jpg

Here's an attempt at a lifting reentry for the booster:

vZAKxMa.jpg

Nailed the KSC!

CJ9Na67.jpg

Edited by RoninFrog

Station delivery to Minmus:

Spoiler

The Peter has successfully brought the Duna station into Low Minmus Orbit, where it will remain until the next Duna transfer window:

6p4aW2O.jpg

The Peter goes down to the surface to grab some fuel:

VLiePIX.jpg

Tank full!  Gonna save half an NPM here in a moment:

DJCsKzU.jpg

Fuel was transferred to the station, and Arfield was transferred from it.  Unfortunately, quarters are cramped on the Peter now (3 kerbals/4 seats), giving me only 10 days to get the kerbals back to Kerbin.

rvS9s3d.jpg

Another fuel grab before the return journey:

BmDZqL3.jpg

Orbiting into the station's orbital plane:

dFOi4u8.jpg

Fortunately, the return journey will only be 7 days, so there won't be any habitation problems on this mission!

KWEAGuF.jpg

Gonna dock to the space bus core so all the hardware is in one spot:

6jQpCqe.jpg

Docked!  Now it's time to get the crew back down to the KSC.  Honestly, a "crew shuttle" has a lot cooler connotations to it than just a boring old rocket.  Gonna have to make some improvements.

ntqjU4g.jpg

Brand new crew shuttle:

Spoiler

Here's the latest crew shuttle technology from the Kerbal Federation!  It looks really stable on the runway, but everything else looks a little risky...

So the basic idea is a 6-kerbal SSTO.  Nukes aren't allowed so basically all of my SSTO designs (LF-only) are illegal. ;.; So I came up with this Rapier-free monstrosity (I hate Rapiers for some reason and have never used them).

uNraDc1.jpg

Off into the sunrise!

CGxt9wX.jpg

Orbit with 700 m/s left!  Better than I expected for a rough design without any optimizations!

nKbANCB.jpg

Rendezvoused.  The shuttle really looks like an X-wing from this angle.

RwcbjyX.jpg

Coming back down with 3 more kerbals:

YkKUE2j.jpg

Weee!

1yx1ymI.jpg

Wow!  It really is stable on the runway!  I slammed into the pavement slightly sideways and falling like a brick, but it didn't even give the slightest hint of instability.

kyyIOyH.jpg

I calculated I'll have 3 more launches before the transfer, so the plan is to launch the rest of "Contingency Plans" next, and then launch 2 more base modules like the first one.

Edited by RoninFrog

Payload Design Session:

Spoiler

Okay, folks!  The next three payloads before the next transfer have been designed!  Now all that's left is to throw them all into space and then pull a whole bunch of fuel out of Minmus!

Payload number one!  It has 4 RA-15 relays, 3 side tanks for the Ike transport, a fuel tanker probe (the first of 4), and enough supplies to run the current colony for 1400 days.  All crammed into 30 tons.

4YRPFtP.jpg

The second!  An 11-kerbal colony segment with enough ore in the tanks to last 1500 days.  There are also two more tanker probes.

61X4Tz8.jpg

The third!  Another 11-kerbal colony segment, with the fourth tanker probe.  This probe has a wolfhound instead of a docking port.  Wolfhounds are heavy!

cP4hvC5.jpg

Payload deploying:

Spoiler

First payload ascending to the heavens:

jD9xVDp.jpg

Gonna meet up with the Peter for some orbital assembling.

jqP2O7M.jpg

Hello, Peter!  Why aren't you responding to input?

nyAbryT.jpg

Oh, that's right!  You don't have a probe core!  Problem easily solvable since shuttle missions are free!

6ToNtba.jpg

Lebus and Lalin are coming to the rescue!

Xf4sX9s.jpg

After an uneventful flight, Lebus and Lalin transfered to the Peter and Ikeway.

fPsABX1.jpg

It was here that I realized that my Ikeway side tanks didn't have any yaw control.  However, the RCS ports were just off-center enough for SAS to recognize them as yaw control, causing the probe core to floor the thrusters any time I turned SAS on.  No yaw control or SAS?  How could it get any worse? 

If you can't see a thing, that's how!  What a nightmare.

I0ut6Aj.jpg

When day dawned, I aligned the side tanks as much as I could, and called it good enough.  The Ikeway transport is complete!

tyGiLBw.jpg

Launch the probes!  Each of those things has 3900 m/s, which is definitely enough to get them where they need to go.  Ion thrusters are amazing things.

XzmsdIq.jpg

The LS ore and tanker probe have been docked to the Peter, ready to be delivered to Minmus.

hZCEvbO.jpg

What a day!  Time for some sleep.  Tomorrow I will find out about everything I did wrong.

Edited by RoninFrog

Booster and Shuttle return:

Spoiler

After all the docking and maneuvering in LKO, the Mallow Stick has literally zero extra fuel, so this descent is going to be 90% unguided, just deploying brakes and chutes at the proper times.

iEqXGDv.jpg

The longitude is looking pretty good, but I can't really do anything about latitude.

XzqRAHS.jpg

Yep, missed to the south by a good bit.  Landing could've been a lot better, but at least nothing broke.

K6yprkr.jpg

The shuttle speeds down after the booster.  Dive bombing the KSC is always "exciting", especially with "kerbal G-limits" on.

obcguXR.jpg

Hang in there, Geneul!

AUQhVLy.jpg

See?  Everything's fine!

CHKhNVi.jpg

Another Minmus fuel run:

Spoiler

Meanwhile, back in LKO, the Peter sends the supplies and empty tanker to Minmus.

ebXSIUS.jpg

Setting up to dock with the station:

H2toyv0.jpg

Docked!  Gonna leave the LS here until whatever will be delivering it arrives at Minmus.  It'll probably go with either the Wolfhound tanker probe or the Ikeway.

jEg2aTT.jpg

The Peter drops down to the surface to grab 50 tons of fuel:

ghZvIH5.jpg

Refueled.

Od0L6wV.jpg

Flying a semi-truck through Minmus' mountains is really fun, especially suborbital with kerbals on EVA.  You should try it some time.

mZoQgeR.jpg

Burning for LKO:

7La3LMZ.jpg

I have it set up so the retroburn gives an intercept with the Ikeway:

taFzFoq.jpg

Docked with the Ikeway!  With the fuel transferred from the tanker to the main tank, there should be plenty of dV to get to Minmus.

lvGdlt4.jpg

I think the last thing to do with this NPM is fill up the Ikeway and then return the Peter to LKO.

Edited by RoninFrog

Ikeway delivery to Minmus:

Spoiler

The Peter and Ikeway are on their way to Minmus!

sRIKRPO.jpg

By launching everything into the orbital plane of Minmus, it eliminates the need for correction burns.  Pretty sweet, huh?

PIkzUWQ.jpg

...and Minmus orbit a week later.

ojGCgjk.jpg

Let's throw some excitement into a routine Minmus mining mission, eh?  Landing two crafts at once should be fun...

lSCBlaM.jpg

SUICIDE BURN!!!

OmzGazL.jpg

Another less exciting suicide burn:

GtudYjB.jpg

Not bad, I think it could've been a couple dozen centimeters closer! :cool:

siCxBoW.jpg

After refueling, the Ikeway returns to orbit autonomously:

ovS83TR.jpg

...and docks to the station.

suWNwqh.jpg

While the probe tanker returns to the Peter...

DhZSAfB.jpg

...to be refueled.  Houston, we have a problem!

G06oatU.jpg

Houston, I have a solution!

Spoiler

Nose up the Peter...

ueUHmqd.jpg

Careful, now!

tJQrNNJ.jpg

Tada!

0Qt4RAt.jpg

Now for the hard part.

H6Mem8o.jpg

Okay, getting closer!

XWnnLWB.jpg

Come on!

iy0a2QT.jpg

Docked!  Now to nose back down without smashing anything.

jKoXaQy.jpg

Behold!  I have done it.

FILolFK.jpg

Refueled and blasting off:

vhZkR5a.jpg

Fortunately, I don't plan on visiting the station, so a plane change is unnecessary.

4SBgfCz.jpg

The last Kerbin return for this payload:

EGBHlvI.jpg

Circularizing:

NFjk3iN.jpg

I bet Lalin and Lebus are more than ready to get back home after all that mining and shuttling back and forth between LKO and Minmus!  Time to bring them back home!

pgZSlot.jpg

I must say, nearly burning up on ascent is not unique to spaceplanes.  It's just a whole lot more common.

3MqaZm8.jpg

Orbit:

qhJr4na.jpg

Lebus and Lalin have transferred to the shuttle:

uVhstXe.jpg

Landing gear make some seriously powerful airbrakes.  It nearly konked out everyone when the wheels came out at mach 3.

01ixiUe.jpg

Well... It wasn't the best landing.  But at least nobody died!

26wPLZd.jpg

Now to wait for the VAB crew to get the next payload loaded up.

Edited by RoninFrog

Another Minmus fuel mission:

Spoiler

It is now Year 3, day 88, and the next section of the actual base is burning into the sky.  Geneul and Derfel will be handling Minmus ISRU missions this time.

AiREyTy.jpg

Docked to the Peter.  What a long, pool noodle of a craft!  And it doesn't even have half the modules! :P

I did put the bottom tanker on top of the payload to make the tankers easier to manage.

9jbcszt.jpg

Booster return! :cool: I don't know what the VAB crew are going to do about this situation.

uIwlI87.jpg

The equipment sets out for Minmus.

06c7R1w.jpg

Minmus orbit!  Now to find that station...

8mFY3JZ.jpg

Rendezvoused with station, doing some part rearranging:

Z0WgwMg.jpg

After about 15 minutes of docking and undocking, I think that it's finally time to go down for some refueling.

dFxVd1a.jpg

Oooh...  I have a brilliant idea...   It's Minmus; it'll probably work...

97zV2by.jpg

Tada!  Refueling and taking off will be waaaay easier now!

jXac67I.jpg

Edited by RoninFrog

Peter return to LKO:

Spoiler

A whole lot of fuel is entering Minmus orbit:

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-3-56-29-PM.png

Rendezvoused with the station.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-4-12-22-PM.png

After some maneuvering, everything has been docked in the correct order.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-4-18-35-PM.png

While the Peter was refueling (background right), Derfel went rock collecting.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-4-31-51-PM.png

Blastoff!

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-4-35-58-PM.png

Orbit.  This time, I don't care about matching the station's inclination.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-4-39-39-PM.png

Geneul and Derfel return to LKO from Minmus for the last time!  After the next launch, they will be banished to the wastelands of Duna.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-4-44-20-PM.png

Hello again, Kerbin!

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-4-49-21-PM.png

LKO established.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-4-57-28-PM.png

Crew return:

Spoiler

Exciting times in the molten cockpit of the Flappy Bird shuttle!  I can only imagine how many alarms are going off in there.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-5-02-09-PM.png

Rendezvoused and transfered:

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-5-15-49-PM.png

Drag-maximized reentry:

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-5-21-58-PM.png

Oh yeah... Forgot about that...

At least Arfield is still awake!

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-5-25-22-PM.png

I'm getting a little sloppy with my landings since the landing gear setup can take pretty much anything.  I landed really hard, was swerving all over the place, skidded sideways at 100 m/s for a couple seconds, veered off the runway (and then back on) a couple times, snapped a fin off, and nearly went off the end of the pavement.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-5-27-25-PM.png

Edited by RoninFrog

Return trajectory for "Biome Diversity" and "Early Mission Prestige":

Spoiler

Far away, on a distant planet, 13 kerbals have lived in a tiny colony for exactly 600 days.  It's time to bring 2 of them home.

tapMIjI.jpg

The engines blast exhaust across the dusty valley.

wDPolLZ.jpg

Into the sky!

VZICtN5.jpg

LDO with 1373 m/s left.  My dV map tells me that's enough to get to Ike.

rVIpAYr.jpg

Burn for Ike:

RxOCojA.jpg

Going for a polar scanning orbit:

maZpdxf.jpg

Hmmm...  No ore at 80% cutoff...  This situation is one of the two main reasons it's nice to have a Narrow Band scanner.

jBq4Z50.jpg

Shooting for a decent looking 70% patch at the south pole:

3FdmPrA.jpg

Landed.  Ore isn't too bad, but if only it was equatorial!

rhTpmRC.jpg

Surface sample to bring back for "Early Mission Prestige".

eQP2ZVw.jpg

While the Curdie is refueling, Sanberry goes rock collecting!

M3gs0CJ.jpg

Let's go hooooome!

LQUMBoi.jpg

Burning for Kerbin intercept:

42G0WvH.jpg

Planning for a Minmus intercept after 265 days of travel.  The 53 units of LS are good for over 600.

tt0YYwj.jpg

Edited by RoninFrog

Peter and base segment set out for Minmus:

Spoiler

It is now day 268, 180 days after the last SLV launch.  Time to launch 22 kerbals to LKO!

7fGHGjJ.jpg

It's not a real ascent if it's not on fire.

8pEehgs.jpg

LKO established.

VAb2wBS.jpg

Docked with the Peter two orbits later:

VAb2wBS.jpg

The Flappy Bird brings the last two kerbonauts who didn't fit in the SLV launch. 

Blast!  I just now realized it was supposed to bring the last four kerbonauts, and the modules have already set out for Minmus! :mad: Oh, well.  The Duna transfer window isn't for another 40 days, so I'll get last two kerbals later.

InueiYS.jpg

The final payload sets out for Minmus:

iPgLuzZ.jpg

It's going to be nine days of very close quarters.  Every seat (except two :rolleyes:) is filled.

5nibV8S.jpg

Arfield returns the Flappy Bird to the KSC with a standard divebombing reentry.

smAQeOo.jpg

Upon landing, the Flappy Bird stalled right as it got even with the SPH, landed at a 45° descent, and then skidded sideways while turning 120 degrees.  I'm starting to think this plane is indestructible (other than that bottom fin).

xNsaNLe.jpg

Practicing my pinpoint landing skills. :cool:  The booster didn't even fall over this time.

QG2NHGM.jpg

Edited by RoninFrog

Modules prepared for Duna:

Spoiler

The Peter rendezvouses with the rest of the modules:

C3mH95S.jpg

The base section has been added, and all the empty fuel tanks have been collected.

4HpVPef.jpg

Refueling approximately 2 Jumbo-64's:

GSAvJHS.jpg

Takeoff!  4 Twitches somehow managed to lift 70 tons of fuel and a bunch of ISRU equipment off the surface.  On Minmus, anything is possible!

gcxsPMy.jpg

Rendezvoused with the rest of the fleet.  There will be four individual crafts leaving to Duna, so I am assembling them here:

77f2FVv.jpg

Everything is basically ready to leave for Duna!  Besides the individual craft achievements, the four LKO relays will be achieving "Positive Uplink", and all crafts have at least 2 kerbals, achieving "Interplanetary Expertise".  The only other achievements are "(Advanced) Deep Space Transit", "Deep Space Laboratory", "Kerbin Space Station", and the basic rovers.  Here are the four individual crafts. 

1. The Peter and Alkaline III.  26 seats, 9 kerbals (should be 11), and 2354 m/s of dV.  It will be achieving "Backup Plan" and "Emergency Evac".

lTdKhRa.jpg

2. The R&D B&B (research and development, bed and breakfast).  6 seats, 2 kerbals, and 1860 m/s of dV.  If it's only enough to capture, then ISRUs can handle the rest.  It will be achieving "Duna Space Station" and part of "Deep Space Laboratory".

kkEKvx9.jpg

The Alkaline II.  22 seats, 11 kerbals, and those engine plates messed up the dV reading.  I calculated it beforehand, it will have enough.  I don't remember the exact value.

k1Wx2Ts.jpg

The Ikeway (with snacks).  2 kerbals, 8 seats, and a messed up dV reading.  I hope it's enough to get to Ike.  It will be achieving "Duna Space Bus".

eO3cWDz.jpg

Getting 2 more kerbals:

Spoiler

Gotta go grab those two forgotten kerbals!  The Peter burns for LKO:

OJ5TPU5.jpg

Circularizing:

hmF3GOr.jpg

Here come Tanemy and Tamvis!

xJgPRmP.jpg

Lining up the intercept:

h7quxYW.jpg

Rendezvoused and kerbals transferred.

j4bCNfi.jpg

You know, I believe this is the first time I've seen the desert airfield in-game!  I've only ever launched things from the KSC.

kierY67.jpg

A nice, gentle landing without any fin-snapping shenanigans.

d4NtyAG.jpg

Heading back to Minmus:

jI2zI4k.jpg

Minmus orbit:

CGQwkiL.jpg

Woah!  Derfel, are you sure you're doing the ISRU right? :o  Don't touch that thing, it's as hot as Kerbol!

rsLYB6W.jpg

Takeoff:

gyK42Fr.jpg

Docked with the Alkaline III again.

VKbTLhS.jpg

Edited by RoninFrog

Modules sent to Duna:

Spoiler

It is time.  Everything is going to Duna today.  The general plan will be this:

5pawM1z.jpg

8 days after the crafts leave Minmus, the Peter and Alkaline III burn for Duna:

1sMZ9WM.jpg

The Alkaline II burns for Duna:

76epCfy.jpg

Now for some probes:

fFO6U3L.jpg

It was here I realized that although the TWR was not a problem (even though I'm using ion engines), the electric supply was only enough to last for a minute at a time.

MxdzJjh.jpg

Spoiler

Still burning.

pU4NQDW.jpg

...aaaand, still burning.

VDth9w1.jpg

I haven't technically beaten my record burn length of 11 minutes, since the burns are split up between four probes.

Time to take a break from probes to send the Ikeway (and snacks) to Duna.

j18vAkP.jpg

Back to the probes.  They are much further from Kerbin now.  I really should've moved the probes into a higher orbit months ago.

u8wirRd.jpg

The R&D B&B burns for Duna:

oEZbfy4.jpg

Back to the probes again.

Iw2plQn.jpg

Last burn!

HKDOL5f.jpg

Done!  Now that is proper mission architecture!

n9rDJbX.jpg

50 days, later, the Curdie performs its correction burn.

A8T44Uc.jpg

Encounter acquired.

RDXroGD.jpg

Of course, the fleet also did their correction burns, but I won't post all those images.

Edited by RoninFrog

"Deep Space Transit" Launch and Kerbal return from Duna:

Spoiler

At Year 4, Day 22, it is time to launch some more stuff!  Here's what's going up next.

This is my "(Advanced) Deep Space Transit" capable of carrying 7 kerbals with enough life support for over 2000 days.  It can also double as a fuel tanker, far more powerful than the Peter.  It's got about 4000 m/s of dV fully fueled, and if that's not enough to go from Ike to LKO and back, I'll just tack some probe tankers on.  Speaking of probe tankers, there's one going to be launched with the Kronos.  The Curdie isn't powerful enough to lug this behemoth out to Minmus, so the probe tanker will be filled first.

LQvnLPK.jpg

Burn, burn, burn!

DmGMTSl.jpg

LKO established.  Now this hunk of metal will sit until the Curdie gets back.

orEKkWb.jpg

Another VAB booster landing! :cool: I'm really on a roll.

5ab5432.jpg

Good ol' Minmus.  This craft hasn't seen you in nearly two years!  Sanberry and Serena are ready to do some refueling after 273 days of just floating in space.

BUN8A8O.jpg

Capture burn:

jXT5lmf.jpg

Landed.  Note that the correct amount of LS ore has been consumed.

wwmHYzi.jpg

After a brief refueling, the Curdie burns for an intercept with the Kronos in LKO:

994grhm.jpg

Coming in fast!

DSkU6xH.jpg

Docked.

yF1usQY.jpg

Arfield is flying Handon and Lashel up to replace Serena and Sanberry.

UTDBgia.jpg

Rendezvoused and kerbals (and science) transferred.  The crafts have drifted slightly between the transfer and the screenshot.

sCzkAvn.jpg

Reentry.  Hmmm...  I'm gonna try something...

YyvubwF.jpg

The events which followed:

Spoiler

You can do it, kerbonauts!  Don't pass out yet!

AOiotbA.jpg

Eeeee!

TM1lcIj.jpg

So far, so good.

usf3geS.jpg

Landed!  I have now officially been to the Desert Launch Site.

UkQsYmx.jpg

"Early Mission Prestige" and "Biome Diversity" have been achieved.

The science recovered is:

• Surface sample from Duna's Midland Sea
  • Surface sample from Duna's Lowlands
  • Surface sample from Duna's Midlands
  • Surface sample from Duna's Highlands
  • Surface sample from Ike's South Pole (Poles?)
  • Duna Blueberries
  • Duna Stone
  • Duna Ejecta

6GcP9qL.jpg

Edited by RoninFrog

Another Minmus mining trip:

Spoiler

The Curdie (and tanker) burns for Minmus.  And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

ShfUl8X.jpg

Captured at Minmus 6 days later.  I've found that it's possible to cut over 3 days off the transfer time with only about 10 m/s of dV.

ng8sNiF.jpg

Landing next to the flag marker:

eNZTHE7.jpg

Taking off again:

K7HJn3m.jpg

Burning for a direct intercept with the Kronos in LKO from low Minmus orbit.

4aditod.jpg

Coming in screaming fast!!

s3bQi6S.jpg

Docked!  Now for another fuel run... :rolleyes:

xOASiQM.jpg

Wolfhounds are just infinitely better than Poodles.  One massive reason to get Making History.

SAhQc2y.jpg

Six day travel time:

eBUYNV5.jpg

Capturing:

uhXa6VE.jpg

Landed and refueling.  If I had launched that 64 tons of fuel with the Kronos, it would've hogged more than two more payloads.  Even if these refueling missions are tedious, they really pay off!

6TWTLpO.jpg

The Kronos takes off, leaving the Curdie on the surface.  With each transfer window, the Minmus tankers get more powerful.  This one carries 50% more fuel than the last one and doesn't need to lug around a bunch of ISRU gear!

gzi6vsz.jpg

Fast forward, 'cause nobody cares about the details of these routine missions!

Spoiler

Ok, read it if you really want to.

1YHt1Bm.jpg

Burn for Kerbin:

NESL5Xl.jpg

Shooting for a sub-180km orbit.

Y1AavAc.jpg

Capturing:

8t8a5ii.jpg

Arfield is coming in the Flappy Bird to retrieve Lashel and Handon:

GHVjgfz.jpg

Rendezvoused and kerbals transferred:

t6rtpBZ.jpg

Whoops.  Overshot by just a tad bit. :P

iUoxvFC.jpg

Cruising back to the KSC on the leftover fuel:

QFtW1Pu.jpg

Successful landing.

VgPSMJR.jpg

Yay!  Now with the tedious Minmus missions out of the way, I can land my new modules on Duna next time! :)

Edited by RoninFrog

Base modules land on Duna:

Spoiler

Ah.  There is the red planet.

Pyhf8DF.jpg

Alkaline II capture burn:

bm6RJXl.jpg

Peter and Alkaline III capture burn:

7FezQPD.jpg

The Alkaline II eyeballs a base landing:

UDPgUXM.jpg

The probe tankers undock and return to LDO:

BHjTpTr.jpg

The Alkaline II plummets unguided through the atmosphere.

9Q9ONpJ.jpg

Parachutes deployed, and descending at 7 m/s!  Perfect!  One thing I have noticed is that the base modules go through a lot of parachutes.  I wonder if a reusable parachute pack would be possible...

1zcvGZ4.jpg

Landed 2.8 km from the base.  Fortunately, this base is mobile!

REvW6To.jpg

Goodbye, parachutes!

LFCrDmn.jpg

Docked.  The base now holds 20 kerbals.

UReieYT.jpg

Here come the Peter and Alkaline III after jettisoning the tanker:

vAsXwVT.jpg

Chutes!

kxZXPt0.jpg

Landed.  Geneul does a quick inspection to make sure nothing's broken.

DJmsiLA.jpg

Docked.  The base now holds 31 kerbals.  Year 4, day 140.

6oc3WtH.jpg

Edited by RoninFrog

Probe and Ikeway:

Spoiler

Time for some probes!  Yay! :rolleyes:

C2a2SVN.jpg

If Ike can't troll me through extremely helpful gravity assists, it's gonna find some other way to make my life miserable.

CQLEM96.jpg

*time passes*

Got a good Pe here.  I have learned the hard way in career playthroughs that "close enough" is not "close enough" with relay sattelites.

efm1dNC.jpg

Orbit!  I hope that errors within 1 meter aren't enough to mess up the sattelites' orbits in the next six years.

F1JZqyz.jpg

The Ikeway is next up.  About 5 days from the encounter, I switched to aim for a direct Duna capture since I don't actually need to refuel at Ike.

Y5SGCXE.jpg

Capturing:

vPxGESf.jpg

It was right before the descent that I realized there was a problem.  The Ikeway has no way to dock with the base, so the LS can't be transferred.  I think that means it's time to get the "Emergency Evac" achievement soon!  The Ikeway leaves the LS and tanker in LDO before landing.

k03Lbcc.jpg

Hard deceleration in progress!

0adKEF7.jpg

Landed!

6Ae0IaH.jpg

Refueling and LS ore jettisoned.

AYuAC36.jpg

Edited by RoninFrog

Probe and R&D B&B arrival:

Spoiler

Probe time!  Gotta capture with one ion engine at a quarter thrust.  I didn't circularize completely, but put it on a trajectory to be exactly opposite the first probe.

cMgbrYs.jpg

Okay, next time I'm gonna do a mothership.  Managing eight separate crafts is a total pain.  Here's the R&D B&B coming in:

FHIrXa0.jpg

The station managed to capture on four twitches.  It took a while, but not as long as those stupid probes.

AHKnznG.jpg

Perfectly equatorial orbit:

kaKoWHz.jpg

...and the second relay probe has been put into a good orbit.  They will hopefully stay like that for the rest of time.

0cofD5j.jpg

Base relocation:

Spoiler

The base is about 25 km south of the equator, which is a real problem.  Since it's mobile, it's an easy problem to fix.  Making good time at over 90 miles per hour!

smINNL2.jpg

There's some good air!

f4RPibt.jpg

A souvenir from Kerbin was found in the Peter's snack drawer, much to the delight of the crew.

jXgVLpf.jpg

Getting closer to the equator:

Z4TprLr.jpg

Arrived!  I won't have to worry about inclinations, now.  I only wish there was some good equatorial ore on Ike.  I might have to haul out a Narrow Band scanner on the next round.

cJZBeTq.jpg

Food and kerbonaut delivery:

Spoiler

The LS probe flattens its orbit to prepare for docking with the Peter.

FZPZLan.jpg

Alright, it's time to get the "Emergency Evac" achievement by testing the Peter's ascent capabilities with Geneul and Derfel on board!

Bt7JEnt.jpg

Intercept with the LS:

8D5Rpva.jpg

Docked.  The probe tanker has been jettisoned.  After the Peter gets back to the Alkaline, the Ikeway is gonna come up, round up all the tankers, take them to Ike, and refuel them.  Before descent, the Peter has to grab the two kerbals in the R&D B&B.

eyvTf94.jpg

Intercept with station:

gvvzssm.jpg

Blast!  I have been interrupted by another relay which proceeded to burn for the following six minutes!

GEDtvcr.jpg

...in which time, I missed my station intercept.  My hatred for ion engines grows more and more.  I have a lot of spare dV, so I'm just gonna brute force an intercept with the R&D B&B.

LosHs42.jpg

Docked.

F2aVThm.jpg

Coming in for a landing back at the Alkaline.

fKjsTsw.jpg

So many parachutes!

C6YLvmC.jpg

Landed.

EHEZDqP.jpg

Docked.  So on Year 4, Day 162 there are now 35 kerbals on Duna's surface.

OiAebb5.jpg

@Death Engineering, have I inadvertently broken any rules so far?  Have I done anything else like trying to mine for LS ore? :)

Edited by RoninFrog

Refilling tankers at Ike:

Spoiler

The last thing to do before everything is deployed at Duna is to refuel all the tankers.  The Ikeway's capabilities will be tested along the way.

iAoB0EV.jpg

Blasting into the heavens!

HArlz6S.jpg

Intercept with the first tanker:

3ik3GXf.jpg

Number one!

n3aLpUq.jpg

Numbers two and three!

jm8IWsa.jpg

Number four, and ready to go to Ike!

ER25Y14.jpg

Burning for Ike encounter.  I'm going to see if there's any good ore at the equator, because I do not want to have to worry about inclination changes.

xVIA67b.jpg

There is actually a very faint pink glow on the far side of Ike.  I hope that means great things!

TfOvL1c.jpg

Landed.  The Ikeway is refueling in all its ISRU glory.  I actually haven't a clue about the actual ore percentage, but it was high enough to fill the tanks in about four hours, which is good enough for my purposes.

n625Bab.jpg

Refueled, and hauling over 100 tons of chemical potential energy off of Ike's surface.

3mPmYcu.jpg

Burning for LDO:

O3vX3ZJ.jpg

And circularizing.

yIos0DJ.jpg

The general plan here is for the Ikeway to go down to the base, and for the stack of tankers to go dock with the station to await some future use.  I don't actually know what I'm gonna do with all the fuel, but 70 tons ought to be useful for something:D

YuUlOM2.jpg

Oof, overshot by more than a bit.  dV margins were slightly alarming.

Yjc9wHX.jpg

Refueled and relocated.  All the kerbonauts are done with their duties and ready to just sit around for the next 600 days.  There are still a few probes that need to finish up their work, though.

ex9gI98.jpg

Edited by RoninFrog

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.