Show and Tell

Firstly woah, and secondly... but how can you model something that doesn't exist?

Edit: Just wanted to say what an amazing job Sung Campbell has done on this, it legit looks like a real life model being hung up, I can't wait to explore these amazing planets!

Edited by FrozenFirework

Ooh, that equatorial ridge is coming dangerously close to interesting! I wonder what could cause such a thing - I doubt tectonic activity would form a ridge around the whole planet, and I don’t think Dres is the type to have a lively core. I’m inclined to think it was an external source, something like the Dresteroids, but more finely ground so that it can be accreted instead of just blowing chunks off of the planet. But a collection of dust and rocks around Dres in a single plane?

I’m not saying it’s a ring, but if there were a ring around Dres this looks a lot like what I’d expect. Anyone have a spare tinfoil hat?

Edited by RyanRising

It's cool that their adding Dres from opm. Does this mean we will get the rest of the opm planet's (if you didn't know Dres is the Ceres analogue added by opm that orbits between Duna and Jool.)

9 minutes ago, catloaf said:

It's cool that their adding Dres from opm. Does this mean we will get the rest of the opm planet's (if you didn't know Dres is the Ceres analogue added by opm that orbits between Duna and Jool.)

Fun fact: Dres's surface was added in an April fools update (if you didn't know which you don't from not visiting dres, Dres does not have a surface but instead has a sphere of death like Jool in stock ksp.) Dres is implemented properly by opm and does not require save file editing to see it (you can get the sphere of death Dres with save file editing in stock, but it has no textures.)

Edited by catloaf

4 hours ago, RyanRising said:

Ooh, that equatorial ridge is coming dangerously close to interesting! I wonder what could cause such a thing - I doubt tectonic activity would form a ridge around the whole planet, and I don’t think Dres is the type to have a lively core. I’m inclined to think it was an external source, something like the Dresteroids, but more finely ground so that it can be accreted instead of just blowing chunks off of the planet. But a collection of dust and rocks around Dres in a single plane?

I’m not saying it’s a ring, but if there were a ring around Dres this looks a lot like what I’d expect. Anyone have a spare tinfoil hat?

Thats a great and interesting question:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equatorial_ridge_on_Iapetus

This would be great as a moon of a gas giant (GP2 for Kerbin system, or in another system)... but I'm not such a fan of replacing a Ceres analogue with this.

Where is the old dres canyon? you can't get rid of that... Why is there what appears to be ice on the surface? Assuming solar irradiance at kerbin = solar irradiance at Earth (seems to be that way based on Kerbins appearance, and values in the game files), the Kerbol system's frost line should be around 5 "KU"s. No ice on the surface of Dres (you've previously called minmus icy too... wth?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frost_line_(astrophysics)

The body itself does look great, I'm just not happy with its placement.

6 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

This would be great as a moon of a gas giant (GP2 for Kerbin system, or in another system)... but I'm not such a fan of replacing a Ceres analogue with this.

Where is the old dres canyon? you can't get rid of that... Why is there what appears to be ice on the surface? Assuming solar irradiance at kerbin = solar irradiance at Earth (seems to be that way based on Kerbins appearance, and values in the game files), the Kerbol system's frost line should be around 5 "KU"s. No ice on the surface of Dres (you've previously called minmus icy too... wth?)

Minmus i can forgive partially because it's such an odd duckling with no clear real world analogue, and is constantly referenced as being seen as "Minty" colored. Ideally you'd move Dres and Minmus out and allow them to be their own weird little system out in the frost belt, or orbit around jool. But they're stuck with keeping the Kerbol System as-is.

That all said; perhaps Dres could now have an atmosphere? Something tenuous with a strong scattering effect enough to lower the temps enough to allow ices to form on the surface? (This would also make it more interesting also *Wink Wink*)

Edited by Incarnation of Chaos

12 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

Dres is coming along nicely, isn't it? Courtesy o f our talented environment artist, Sung Campbell. 

dres1.jpg

dres2.jpg

isn't that just Iapetus? :o

932_PIA11690.png

tho it's pretty cool.

Edited by KSPFanatic102

1 hour ago, KerikBalm said:

Where is the old dres canyon?

Just by looking at what they did with the surface of Duna, I can safely guess that there will be multiple canyons on Dres. These bodies for ksp2 are not getting a simple revamp, they're getting a remake.

This looks really neat. I always think, if I can easily and quickly identify 4 landing spots that I'd like to explore on a body then its a winner and this definitely has that, whist still retaining the topographical feature scaling to make it look like a Kerbal-sized body (sometimes hyper-realistic looking bodies lose their Kerbal charm).

I'm super excited to see how this 'scaled space' view is replicated down on the actual surface and I can only hope that, by release, it has a similar fidelity! :D 

EDIT: Also to echo the above, the Dres Canyon/Valley was one of the coolest topographical features of any KSP body... it'd be cool to see it featured somewhere.

Edited by Poodmund

On 7/3/2020 at 1:01 PM, Incarnation of Chaos said:

That all said; perhaps Dres could now have an atmosphere? Something tenuous with a strong scattering effect enough to lower the temps enough to allow ices to form on the surface? (This would also make it more interesting also *Wink Wink*)

Dres having an atmoshpere would be great and would really help to differentiate Dres from the Mun and stop it from being just a generic looking rocky planet, although that new terrain and snow already does a lot of that for me, it's the first time I've actually wanted to check out the surface of Dres and not just ignore it after I went to Duna.

Edited by FrozenFirework
Spelling

10 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Does it have to be frost? Could just be lime, feldspar, or quartz

Edited by mcwaffles2003

55 minutes ago, FrozenFirework said:

Dres having an atmoshpere would be great and would really help to differentiate Dres from the Mun and stop it from being just a generic looking rocky planet, although that new terrain and snow already deos a lot of that for me, it's the first time I've actually wanted to check out the surface of Dres and not just ignore it after I went to Duna.

Depending on what atmospheres allow you to do in KSP2, it may or may not really have any point to it. 

7 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Does it have to be frost? Could just be lime, feldspar, or quartz

There are several features that suggest its meant to be some sort of ice of q volatile, and co2 and nitrogen ices would make even less sense