Show and Tell

On 7/3/2020 at 5:01 AM, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Minmus i can forgive partially because it's such an odd duckling with no clear real world analogue, and is constantly referenced as being seen as "Minty" colored. Ideally you'd move Dres and Minmus out and allow them to be their own weird little system out in the frost belt, or orbit around jool. But they're stuck with keeping the Kerbol System as-is.

That all said; perhaps Dres could now have an atmosphere? Something tenuous with a strong scattering effect enough to lower the temps enough to allow ices to form on the surface? (This would also make it more interesting also *Wink Wink*)

I think that Minmus has a mineral like quartz or salt on its surface, Ceres has it so why can't Dres.

2 hours ago, catloaf said:

I think that Minmus has a mineral like quartz or salt on its surface, Ceres has it so why can't Dres.

Just having a very reflective material on the surface wouldn't be enough; you would need an atmosphere to provide sufficient insulation and pressures for water/ammonium ices to form.

But i guess if you're thinking they could just be gigantic sploches of quartz left over from it's formation, then that could also work.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

I would like an realllllly thin atmosphere like mercury

I'm not sure how that would be handled in all honesty; since Mercury's "Atmosphere" isn't that far off from vacuum. Like i guess there wouldn't be anything preventing you from defining such a tenuous atmosphere, but at that point i would kinda question why unless the entire reason was "LEL MOAR KERBAL".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 7/11/2020 at 8:08 AM, linecrafter said:

thank you for this. Ive been wondering how they would handle the positioning. To bad they cant add that into KSP 1. Prolly to late into development to change all that might break some mods as well. But if they did we could have a very precise multiplayer mod in KSP 1

I'm trying to get excited about this, Nate, but I don't think still more flights to Duna and Jool are going to motivate returning players.  I truly feel that rehashing the KSP 1 solar system as the starter zone was a design misstep, as we won't be blazing exciting new trails until very late in the progression tree.  Adding the original system as an interstellar destination would have been a fun homage and adventure, but each time I see these new models, all I can think is, "oh boy, Eloo... again."

A possible compromise would be to offer a choice of two different starting zones to give returning players some interesting new destinations to shoot for right out of the gate.   I understand the difficulties in making something like this happen, but I think a lot of players are going to have a hard time finding anything special about yet another "first landing" on Mun.

Edited by Chilkoot

1 hour ago, Chilkoot said:

I'm trying to get excited about this, Nate, but I don't think still more flights to Duna and Jool are going to motivate returning players.  I truly feel that rehashing the KSP 1 solar system as the starter zone was a design misstep, as we won't be blazing exciting new trails until very late in the progression tree.  Adding the original system as an interstellar destination would have been a fun homage and adventure, but each time I see these new models, all I can think is, "oh boy, Eloo... again."

A possible compromise would be to offer a choice of two different starting zones to give returning players some interesting new destinations to shoot for right out of the gate.   I understand the difficulties in making something like this happen, but I think a lot of players are going to have a hard time finding anything special about yet another "first landing" on Mun.

I think you're forgetting the fact that we can set up actual colonies on these planets now. In KSP 1 its "oh boy, I landed here, guess I'll leave now' and in KSP 2 it will be like "ok, I landed here, time to setup a huge independent colony on this planet with problems I have to solve in my own creative way". Besides, the whole game is getting a crazy graphics overhaul, so it won't feel like the same exact destination again. And if you want to start in a different system, mods will have you covered.

9 minutes ago, Vinhero100 said:

I think you're forgetting the fact

Definitely not forgetting - I still feel it was a bad design decision to recycle existing content.  I could use the same argument to suggest those who want new textures (we just got those) or to explore old content in the new game can install mods to do that.

5 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

Definitely not forgetting - I still feel it was a bad design decision to recycle existing content.  I could use the same argument to suggest those who want new textures (we just got those)

Wait, wait, wait.

It's not recycling content or "just new textures", they're remaking everything, only the overall geography is the same.

Think about it like GTA SA Los Santos Vs GTA 5 Los Santos, same place but completely different redone map.

1 hour ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

Will the controls be the same in KSP2 from KSP1? 

Most of the ui we have seen so far has suggested the same. Problem is, we don't know just yet, that's something devs for games usually don't reveal and we as players just see what they are when the game comes out.

Also, I just notice your new! Welcome! Glad to have you here on the forums!

10 hours ago, Master39 said:

It's not recycling content or "just new textures", they're remaking everything, only the overall geography is the same.

Think about it like GTA SA Los Santos Vs GTA 5 Los Santos, same place but completely different redone map.

So... are we talking all new solar system layout with new dV maps, and things like a whole different atmosphere profile on Duna and Eve, new landmass layout on Laythe, etc?  Have we even heard that level of detail yet on the redesign?

Don't get me wrong - I am over the Mün excited about bases, functional launch-pads, new fuel types/engines, and interstellar travel (the first things I mod in for any playthrough), but the rehash of the solar system has been like a bucket of cold water.  I can only hope you're right about the overhaul being far more fundamental than simply new textures, visuals and terrain maps.  Landing on a prettier Duna in KSP2 with essentially the same launch, transfer and descent is going to be a serious buzzkill.

@Chilkoot Nate Simpson did say the kerbol system would stay untouched (except for graphical improvements) so yes, the transfer window, deltav requirements, and atmosphere layouts will likely be the same/very close. And I totally agree with you on the interstellar and colony functions...It’s going to be incredible!

4 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

So... are we talking all new solar system layout with new dV maps, and things like a whole different atmosphere profile on Duna and Eve, new landmass layout on Laythe, etc? 

No, the goal is to have our old Kerbol Sytem back, just better, like Los Santos in GTA V compared to GTA SA. They're just not recycling assets, this is the KSC from KSP2:

kuywg8asivh31.jpg

What assets you think they could have reused to make that Kerbin?

Honestly I don't want a different Kerbol system, I wouldn't mind an expanded one (like adding Gas Giant 2), but not a different one, I don't want to explore in KSP2, I've already done that for more than 2000 hours on KSP1, I don't want a new home solar system to explore, I want to build things in the one I already know.

4 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

Landing on a prettier Duna in KSP2 with essentially the same launch, transfer and descent is going to be a serious buzzkill.

I want that mission starting not from the KSC, but from Artemis Spaceport on Mün (I know, it's not original) and doing a rendezvous with my new shiny mothership built at the Mün orbital shipyards with resources mined on Minmus, and then I when I finally land on Duna I want to do something more than picking up a sample, plant a flag and go back to home.

Also having the ability of basically building new KSCs anywhere I would bet that one of the firsts mod will be a "alternative start: start from a planet/moon of your choice". 

1 hour ago, Master39 said:

No, the goal is to have our old Kerbol Sytem back

Which, sadly, I think is a poor design decision and misses out on the opportunity to instill an all new sense of wonder for returning players.  Reskinning what was there before feels like an appeasement to a very small, very hardcore base - though apparently very vocal, so they may be hedging against the "extremely vocal minority" who would cry foul and flood forums with negativity, impacting sales.  They're pretty gutsy to even *touch* a sequel for a game with such a cult-like following, so I'm sure they're researching the audience very carefully before making these decisions.

You note that you want GTA SA -> GTA IV, where I want GTA IV -> GTA V,  meaning a similar underlying playstyle, but with all new content and expanded mechanics.

All of this is easily solved by game options. 

Select "Klassic Kerbal" to start on Kerbin, or "Exploration Extravaganza" to start on a life-viable planet or moon of your choice in a different star system. Just make the alternate starts more challenging for resources and expansion than the default system.

No reason to have a forced choice, especially for veteran players.