Show and Tell

35 minutes ago, Chilkoot said:

Reskinning

It's not reskinning, it's remaking, just like GTA IV and V are not reskins of Liberty City and San Andreas.

You said it correctly, it's a game design choice, one we can agree with or not, but surely not made to recycle assets.

37 minutes ago, Chilkoot said:

an appeasement to a very small, very hardcore base - though apparently very vocal, so they may be hedging against the "extremely vocal minority" who would cry foul and flood forums with negativity, impacting sales.  They're pretty gutsy to even *touch* a sequel for a game with such a cult-like following, so I'm sure they're researching the audience very carefully before making these decisions.

They did the research and discovered that something like 90% of the players never left Kerbin's SOI, so basically if you have explored enough to become bored with the starting system as a whole you're already in a minority, basically this whole forum is just the voice of that specific minority of players.

32 minutes ago, TLTay said:

All of this is easily solved by game options. 

Select "Klassic Kerbal" to start on Kerbin, or "Exploration Extravaganza" to start on a life-viable planet or moon of your choice in a different star system. Just make the alternate starts more challenging for resources and expansion than the default system.

No reason to have a forced choice, especially for veteran players.

I hope for a stock gamemode, but even if it isn't there and no modder show up to add it we will probably be able to start a sandbox and cheat a colony where we want to start.

2 hours ago, TLTay said:

Select "Klassic Kerbal" to start on Kerbin, or "Exploration Extravaganza" to start on a life-viable planet or moon of your choice in a different star system. Just make the alternate starts more challenging for resources and expansion than the default system.

This is a really good idea, but the problem is the new progression system is going to be carefully tested and "calibrated" against a particular star system to make sure gameplay is accessible and rewarding, esp for new players.  A relatively easy solution (nothing is as easy as it sounds when making a game) would be to have two starter-friendly systems that new players can choose from.  Maybe it would be the difference b/w "easy" - the old Kerbolar system for new players, and "challenging" - a new system, harder, for veterans.

Even two new-game-ready systems would take a lot of extra work, and may not be feasible given time and resources.  I do like your idea though, and it's reminiscent of Stellaris when choosing a random, habitable starting point that could be anywhere from forgiving to very punishing.  Regardless, your idea of some kind of difficulty setting in Kerbal's new Adventure Mode sounds pretty interesting.

Edited by Chilkoot

7 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

Semantics.  If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck...

Nope, there's a huge difference.

You said they're recycling the system, which is objectively wrong.

It's a gameplay choice, not a budgetary one.

11 hours ago, Master39 said:

It's not reskinning, it's remaking, just like GTA IV and V are not reskins of Liberty City and San Andreas.

Sure KSC was remade, as it's a totally different place now.

But the system? No that's a reskin.

KSC 1 : KSC 2 :: GTA3 Liberty City : GTA4 Liberty City

Kerbol System 1 : Kerbol System 2 :: Saint's Row's Stillwater City : Saint's Row 2's Stillwater City

For those that don't know, the 2nd game's Stillwater had basically the same map as the first, with an extra (fairly large) area and some significant changes to another area to account for a large corporation essentially purchasing an entire neighborhood. And then of course the entire city got a facelift.

44 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

No that's a reskin.

A reskin is what we're seeing with KSP1, I wouldn't call remaking the planets from scratch while keeping them recognizable "a reskin'

Edited by Master39

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2020 at 10:32 AM, FrozenFirework said:

but how can you model something that doesn't exist?

Dres actually does exist. It's just not recognized by the majority like the real-life Ceres, which I think should stop. Ceres is sometimes recognized as an asteroid, which I also think should stop.

Edited by probe137

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/2/2020 at 8:57 PM, RyanRising said:

I’m not saying it’s a ring, but if there were a ring around Dres this looks a lot like what I’d expect. Anyone have a spare tinfoil hat?

this is kind of like 10199 Chariklo, in the sense that it is a dwarf planet with rings.

Nicola+Bagnardi.jpg

Edited by determinationmaster
a

On 9/13/2020 at 1:23 AM, Master39 said:

They did the research and discovered that something like 90% of the players never left Kerbin's SOI, so basically if you have explored enough to become bored with the starting system as a whole you're already in a minority, basically this whole forum is just the voice of that specific minority of players.

I do agree with one thing they said, that adding some new goodies to the Kerbol system would give a sense of wonder for returning players.

40 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I do agree with one thing they said, that adding some new goodies to the Kerbol system would give a sense of wonder for returning players.

Yep, I agree and they said that they won't "change things too much" not  that the system is going to be the exact same, but the point he was expressing was about having the Kerbol system being the same meant they were recycling assets and that's simply not true.

Ḩ͔̯͇͓̇́A̼̺͖̞̹̭̗̻̐̋̒̕Ḣ̖͓̼͓̙̻ͫ͝A̙̱̞̖͌͟Ḩ͔̯͇͓̇́A̼̺͖̞̹̭̗̻̐̋̒̕Ḣ̖͓̼͓̙̻ͫ͝A̙̱̞̖͌͟Ḩ͔̯͇͓̇́A̼̺͖̞̹̭̗̻̐̋̒̕Ḣ̖͓̼͓̙̻ͫ͝A̙̱̞̖͌͟Ḩ͔̯͇͓̇́A̼̺͖̞̹̭̗̻̐̋̒̕Ḣ̖͓̼͓̙̻ͫ͝A̙̱̞̖͌͟Ḩ͔̯͇͓̇́A̼̺͖̞̹̭̗̻̐̋̒̕Ḣ̖͓̼͓̙̻ͫ͝A̙̱̞̖͌͟Ḩ͔̯͇͓̇́A̼̺͖̞̹̭̗̻̐̋̒̕Ḣ̖͓̼͓̙̻ͫ͝A̙̱̞̖͌͟what if ksp 2 is just recycled assets of ksp 1?