Show and Tell

10 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

There are several features that suggest its meant to be some sort of ice of q volatile, and co2 and nitrogen ices would make even less sense

Go on...

Its neither concentrated at the poles (rotating planet) nor is it clumped on the dark side (tidally locked).

Earths moon is white, should we tell the creator that the moon shouldn't be an ice world as well?

Edited by mcwaffles2003

@mcwaffles2003

Well, there are caps at both the poles. At latitudes closer to the equator,  it only seems to occur at high elevation (granted, this would only make sense with some atmosphere.

It seems rather smooth, which would come from a bit of sublimation and reaching equilibrium with the vapor pressure of (even a very thin) atmosphere. A number of features suggest substantially more relaxation than the (presumably) loose grey rock and gravel surface.

There are also some sinuous features suggesting glaciers that have moved.

Then there is the very strong resemblance to iapetus that has been pointed out, where the white areas are water ice. Since its obviously an iapetus analogue, that makes it seem very likely that the white areas are supposed to be water ice.

Matt Lowne will probably be excited that people *might* start acknowledging that Dres is real...

But he might be an insane nutter who says it's real......We all know it's not. :wink:

Edited by Lewie

On 7/3/2020 at 4:55 AM, KerikBalm said:

Where is the old dres canyon?

It's right there, south of the ridge. Must be a trick of the lighting or something, as we would never do something as silly as forgetting to add Dres' most recognizable feature!

dres_canyon.jpg

That canyon looks really good, especially from this view.  Will the dimensions of the canyons remain the same, or are they going to be expanded?

Edited by Entropian
eengllish

Dres looks amazing, simply amazing. As have all of the planets/moons we've seen so far. The artists have done an amazing job. I can't wait to explore these gorgeous masterpieces! 

Edited by Lewie

I'm guessing since the whitish patches were on KSP1 Dres, and they didn't want to break too much with the traditional solar system.

Even with trying to stick to KSP1 lore, I feel like this planet is begging for a tiny moonlet with a very low orbit around the equatorial ridge. This would make for some awesome moonlet-rises for a base situated on the ridge. I guess I could just capture an asteroid...

On 7/4/2020 at 1:27 PM, KerikBalm said:

@mcwaffles2003

Well, there are caps at both the poles. At latitudes closer to the equator,  it only seems to occur at high elevation (granted, this would only make sense with some atmosphere.

It seems rather smooth, which would come from a bit of sublimation and reaching equilibrium with the vapor pressure of (even a very thin) atmosphere. A number of features suggest substantially more relaxation than the (presumably) loose grey rock and gravel surface.

There are also some sinuous features suggesting glaciers that have moved.

Then there is the very strong resemblance to iapetus that has been pointed out, where the white areas are water ice. Since its obviously an iapetus analogue, that makes it seem very likely that the white areas are supposed to be water ice.

When did caps start to connect through and spread along the equator? This is news to me

@mcwaffles2003

Caps at the poles doesn't mean that there can't also be ice elsewhere.

Again, this is the exact situation with iapetus, where even the poles of the "dark hemisphere" ate bright and ice covered, because the light color is from ice, and it doesn't sublimate away at the poles -the two tone leading and trailing hemisphere is more complicated to explain... (go to Wikipedia for that) but it is still suggestive of ice or some other volatile... And volatiles other than ice make even less sense given Dres' distance from kerbol and the solar irradiance at kerbin

3 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Again, this is the exact situation with iapetus, where even the poles of the "dark hemisphere" 

Dres isn't tidally locked like iapetus though... nor is it a moon for that matter

10 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Again, this is the exact situation with iapetus, where even the poles of the "dark hemisphere" ate bright and ice covered, because the light color is from ice, and it doesn't sublimate away at the poles -the two tone leading and trailing hemisphere is more complicated to explain... (go to Wikipedia for that) but it is still suggestive of ice or some other volatile... And volatiles other than ice make even less sense given Dres' distance from kerbol and the solar irradiance at kerbin

I don't get why you can't just believe its something like quartz instead of deposited remains of sublimated ice as if that's the only possibility for a white landmass... Should we complain about the equatorial mountain ridge too seeing as this didn't develop in the same environment around a gas giant as well? They're trying to model the original solar system after the first game... Should we start moving Jools moons because principia proved that their orbits are actually unstable and impossible? Heck, maybe the surface was non-homogeneous and there was a generally darker side that retained more heat, and over time more ice sublimated from the darker side and a muddy briny ice culminated on the other side. At some point you have to just let some fantasy in man.

But hey, if gettin mad over the color of a planet because your head canon says it shouldn't be that way floats your boat then float as much as you like.

3 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

But hey, if gettin mad ...

I want to be clear: I'm not mad. I can criticize and disagree without being mad. Granted, I did say that "I'm not happy with its placement", but maybe I should have phrased that differently. Overall I thought my first post was balanced, as I said "The body itself does look great"

I also said "This would be great as a moon of a gas giant (GP2 for Kerbin system, or in another system)... but I'm not such a fan of replacing a Ceres analogue with this"

I'm actually reconsidering that last point... I guess because everyone forgets Dres, or if they don't, focus on the canyon. I vaguely recalled that Dres has some light and dark terrain (as does Mun, Ike, and our moon), but now that I look at the color map... Ike and Mun's darker terrain could be like lunar maria from impact basins... but Dres... not sure how to explain that pattern, and the new pattern does look fairly similar to the old one (light terrain at both poles, with a band of light terrain connecting them). I never gave much though to Dres' color, because I never gave much though to Dres. I thought the old Dres was just a lighter type of rock, but the new one does look more like ice in its texture and distribution.

Still, its actually a fairly good match for the old Dres.

I realize that KSP 1 had some unrealistic bodies (minmus, Laythe, Tylo, perhaps Eve - def its color, and the color of Jool [still want that april fools orange retexture :p ]), so if they get grandfathered in, fine

Dres isn't tidally locked like iapetus though... nor is it a moon for that matter

Well, the tidal locking of iapetus isn't so important now, it may have been important with setting up the dichotomy, but it seems sunlight is responsible for maintaining the feedback loop that keeps it the way it is, and iapetus isn't tidally locked to the sun. Also, its unclear precisely what started the dichotomy - its the only body we've observed with that pattern, so we don't know if that is a pattern that would be limited to moons. The only obvious problem I see with that pattern is that it would be formed by volatiles on the surface, and Dres is too close to the sun to have those.

I don't get why you can't just believe its something like quartz instead of deposited remains of sublimated ice as if that's the only possibility for a white landmass...

As I said previously: "There are several features that suggest its meant to be some sort of ice of volatile", you asked me to elaborate, so I did.

Its not about it being a white landmass, its the distribution of the white color

The texture of it (sublimation and redoposition tend ot make it smooth),

sinuous features suggesting glaciers

Paucity of craters on the white terrain suggesting it is young, and thus composed of fresh deposits (seemingly mostly at higher elevation/the poles), suggesting volatiles that have sublimated elswhere and recondensed were it is colder.

All The features are very hard to explain by something other than a volatile, while a volatile explains all of it (evidence in support: iapetus)

Should we complain about the equatorial mountain ridge too seeing as this didn't develop in the same environment around a gas giant as well?

Its unlear what caused that ridge, and it its related to 2 (or mmore) other very odd "ravioli" looking moons around saturn. One hypothesis for Iapetus is that it had a ring system, which formed the ridge by collisional accretion... Dres has dresteroids, which is kind of like a ring... so... I dunno, so far it doesn't seem overtly wrong to me.

They're trying to model the original solar system after the first game... Should we start moving Jools moons because principia proved that their orbits are actually unstable and impossible?

Yes, and I hadn't realized just how close that pattern was to the original Dres... but in my modded system, I do change jools moons, so that they are stable... I don't move them around so much as modify the relative masses. Scale everything up by 3 generally, but the large Joolian moons by just 2, then modify Jool's surface gravity to 2.5 (from 0.8), and lower the surface G's of laythe and Tylo... the system becomes stable.

Heck, maybe the surface was non-homogeneous and there was a generally darker side that retained more heat, and over time more ice sublimated from the darker side and a muddy briny ice culminated on the other side. 

That is fairly close to a proposed explanation for Iapetus... but it requires ice to be stable at the surface, and at Dres' distance, it shouldn't be.

Edited by KerikBalm

On 7/2/2020 at 8:12 PM, Nate Simpson said:

Dres is coming along nicely, isn't it? Courtesy o f our talented environment artist, Sung Campbell. 

dres1.jpg

dres2.jpg

Found Eeloo on reddit:Eeloo in KSP 1 Vs KSP 2 : KerbalSpaceProgramIiiii

Are all of the planets getting reworkings this great!!!!!:D

On 7/12/2020 at 9:11 PM, boolybooly said:

Some say it looks like a walnut, I think it looks like a sherbet fizz ball, probably cola and vanilla.

Does it make your tongue tingly when you lick it?

You’ll just have to send some Kerbals out there to find out :sticktongue: and Minmus is minty so why not?

Just make sure they take the samples inside first though, taking helmets off in space doesn’t end well.