Why is nobody talking about 'inter-Galactic'?

Pc gamer came out. Started reading, and saw that they mentioned intergalactic travel and i theorised: ' in that context, a spelling mistake is likely to occur. '

But then, near the end, i get very confused by the following statement: 

There are multiple solar systems, then, and tech and science advancements that continue well into the intergalactic phase of the game. 

I do not understand. Can someone clarify this for me?

Probably a typo or misunderstanding. There's no reasonable non-physics breaking way to achieve inter-galactic travel, and there's not really any point. Travel millions of years just to arrive at a place that only has more of the same stars you left behind.

Edited by afafsa

11 minutes ago, AntINFINAIt said:

Pc gamer came out. Started reading, and saw that they mentioned intergalactic travel and i theorised: ' in that context, a spelling mistake is likely to occur. '

But then, near the end, i get very confused by the following statement: 

There are multiple solar systems, then, and tech and science advancements that continue well into the intergalactic phase of the game. 

KSP 2 will probably take place in a anywhere between 100 to 400 years from now based on our current technology advancements but inter-galactic travel is thousands of years ahead of us.

3 minutes ago, afafsa said:

Probably a typo or misunderstanding. There's no reasonable non-physics breaking way to achieve inter-galactic travel, and there's not really any point. Travel millions of years just to arrive at a place that only has more of the same stars you left behind.

Just as i suspected. 

One word to describe this topic : ignorance. 

It is surprising that someone could make the same mistake 3 times and create new context in the process. There's been a massive communication issue between the 2 parties.

23 minutes ago, AntINFINAIt said:

99.9% of humanity doesn't understand the difference between a galaxy and a solar system. The reporter, proofreaders, and editor were merely all in that large group.

13 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

The reporter, proofreaders, and editor were merely all in that large group.

For how journalism works these days the reporter, the proofreader and the editor are all the same person.

2 minutes ago, Master39 said:
13 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

The reporter, proofreaders, and editor were merely all in that large group.

For how journalism works these days the reporter, the proofreader and the editor are all the same person.

The reporter, proofreader and editor are the same person. But that said person doesn't bother to check what they're talking about. Besides, we're talking about PC gamer, of course the articles are going to be poorly written.

16 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

99.9% of humanity doesn't understand the difference between a galaxy and a solar system. The reporter, proofreaders, and editor were merely all in that large group.

Couldn't have said it more concisely myself. The Avengers franchise is a highly visible recent example of this: frequently characters will talk about the universe and the galaxy as if they are the same thing, for example (I believe) Rocket's assertion that Thanos cannot be stopped from destroying the universe because he has the largest army in the galaxy.

Indeed, 100% of humankind thought the galaxy and the universe were the same thing until the 1920s when Hubble (I think... names and dates aren't my forte) measured the distance to the famous Andromeda nebula and discovered that it was outside the universe and also twice the size of the universe - thus the known universe at the time was re-dubbed "island universe" and eventually "galaxy," a word derived from a Latin term for milk in honor of the Milky Way.

The guy who wrote the PC gamer article is just a video game journalist, he doesn't have to know about astronomy. We love space but some people don't care. People have different fields of expertise, they are not "ignorant" because they don't know what you concider the basises.

The article covers the features in good details and the guy seems to have tried to understand the game mechanics as well as he could... Peace

44 minutes ago, Kaerbanogue said:

The guy who wrote the PC gamer article is just a video game journalist, he doesn't have to know about astronomy. We love space but some people don't care. People have different fields of expertise, they are not "ignorant" because they don't know what you consider the basises.

The article covers the features in good details and the guy seems to have tried to understand the game mechanics as well as he could... Peace

Yes, let's get a guy with no interest in orbital mechanics or rocket science to review a game with the word "Kerbal" in it. The least a game journalist can do when looking at a game is to do some basic, surface-level research on the topic of the game and do some proofreading, otherwise you get game journalists that mislead entire fandoms and cause disappointment as fans realise said game isn't getting galaxies, or just flat-out ignorant game journalists that bash a game they don't understand. Unfortunately that's most PC Gamer journalists, so why PC Gamer gets all the screenshots is beyond me.

Edited by Bej Kerman

1 hour ago, Kaerbanogue said:

The guy who wrote the PC gamer article is just a video game journalist, he doesn't have to know about astronomy. We love space but some people don't care. People have different fields of expertise, they are not "ignorant" because they don't know what you concider the basises.

Your response is the most neutral in terms of subjectivity. You are right. 

But, if i were him, i would have surely reached out to somebody to help me write it. But you cannot codemn him of not doing that.

I am certain that 99.9% of all children, and, to some extent, adults, think that you point your 'spaceship' up,then fire exist whoosh trough the rear end and you get strapped to your chair, then boom! you are in space. Then you point at mars, go there and you turn your rocket around and land on the planet, etc. Heck, there are millions who think the earth is flat.

The article did what it was supposed to do : deliver information to us, the fans. Those minor discrepancies did not really affect the delivery of information much.

On the contrary, one might belive, one might hope, that it was not a typo. My approach would be procedural generation, when reaching beyond the default systems.

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

...mislead entire fandoms and cause disappointment as fans realise said game isn't getting galaxies...

What are you talking about? Nobody thought the game was getting galaxies. In fact, as soon as someone read "intergalactic" they posted this thread and all of us said "yeah, they meant interstellar"

24 minutes ago, Meecrob said:
2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

...mislead entire fandoms and cause disappointment as fans realise said game isn't getting galaxies...

What are you talking about? Nobody thought the game was getting galaxies. In fact, as soon as someone read "intergalactic" they posted this thread and all of us said "yeah, they meant interstellar"

Well it's just a good thing we're not stupid.

12 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

That or they meant intragalactic.     Let's not be so harsh on a person just because of a typo or misnomer. 

20 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

99.9% of humanity doesn't understand the difference between a galaxy and a solar system.

Every time stirring my coffee with milk, I think about the galaxy in it.

It's a Milky Way, literally.

21 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Especially when a bunch of think "the galaxy is on Orion's belt" and that is their only exposure to using the term

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

That or they meant intragalactic.     Let's not be so harsh on a person just because of a typo or misnomer. 

Did I totally read this incorrectly? All I am saying is that entire fandoms were not misled or disappointed by a word in a PC Gamer article.

For the record I was replying to this comment:
"Yes, let's get a guy with no interest in orbital mechanics or rocket science to review a game with the word "Kerbal" in it. The least a game journalist can do when looking at a game is to do some basic, surface-level research on the topic of the game and do some proofreading, otherwise you get game journalists that mislead entire fandoms and cause disappointment as fans realise said game isn't getting galaxies, or just flat-out ignorant game journalists that bash a game they don't understand. Unfortunately that's most PC Gamer journalists, so why PC Gamer gets all the screenshots is beyond me."

5 hours ago, Kaerbanogue said:

People have different fields of expertise, they are not "ignorant" because they don't know what you concider the basises.

Well they are still technically ignorant. Everyone is ignorant about pretty much everything expect what they specialize in though so that’s okay. 
A wiseman knows what they don’t know. 

Edited by MechBFP

54 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

Did I totally read this incorrectly? All I am saying is that entire fandoms were not misled or disappointed by a word in a PC Gamer article.

Ah yes, I was agreeing with you in the first sentence, and speaking to the masses in the second.   In hindsight, I see how that can be misread by you.   :D

On 7/5/2020 at 2:56 PM, SpaceFace545 said:

KSP 2 will probably take place in a anywhere between 100 to 400 years from now based on our current technology advancements but inter-galactic travel is thousands of years ahead of us.

Interestingly, the leap from interstellar travel to intergalactic travel  is not as big as one would expect.  

Distance from Earth to Pluto ~0.0004 light years

Distance to nearest star (proxima centaru) ~4 light years.  This is also roughly the average distance between stars in the Milky Way.   Increase by factor of 10,000 vs. Pluto trip.

Milky Way diameter  ~100,000 light years   Increase by factor 25,000 vs trip to nearest star or average trip between stars..  

Distance to Andromeda  (nearest galaxy)   ~2.5 million light years.    Increase by factor of only 25 vs. traversing the Milky Way

Average distance between galaxies ~10 million light years.  Still only a 100x increase. 

So any civilization that would be able to traverse its own galaxy, there would not be much of a leap to get to the next one.    For example, lets say they could traverse their own galaxy in a month.  Well in a little more than two years, they could probably get to the next galaxy over.  Of course this is assuming there's not some barrier preventing it, like some weird dark matter/dark energy phenomena 

Intergalactic flight even with the Warp Engine looks tough, not to mention flying at a speed of light of 99%. Even in Star Wars, the intergalactic flight was fantastic)))

Edited by OOM