KSP Missions

maple51

I was thinking of making a thread where people post a mission there about to attempt and at the end of the mission, say if it was a success or not like this:

Upcoming Missions:

BRING HOME THE BACON-nhnifong-83% complete

Operation Gearheads-air805ronin-80% complete

SSTO Grand Tour-bsalis-28% complete

Completed Missions:

Green=Success

Blue=In Progress

Red=Failure

Hope this catches on.

Edited by maple51

I've been working on a series of Kethane missions, if anyone is interested, go ahead and try them :D

MISSION BRING HOME THE BACON

Phase 1, exploration. Complete

Place a Kethane detection satellite in a 45° inclined orbit around each body, Kerbin, Mun, and Minimus.

Phase 2, pinpoint locating. Complete

Design a light cart with a kethane detector, miner, and a small tank. This cart does not need to be able to lift off again. Land it on the mun or minimus, whichever you find more kethane on, and land/dirve it into the middle of a large kethane deposit to mark the spot. confirm that the kethane is there by drilling.

Phase 3, exploitation Complete

Build a large miner than can hold at least 5000 L of Kethane and land it near your cart, fill er up!.

Phase 4. placement. Complete

Transport all that Kethane (by way of delivery shuttles or by flying your miner) to a refueling station in Munar orbit.

Phase 5. delivery. Failure

Bring home at least 2000 liters of Kethane and land it next to KSC, where you can use it to fuel up test vehicles on the pad and do experiments with it. Leave the rest in orbit at the refueling station(s)

OPTIONAL Phase 6. Quality Service In Progress

Design and lunch a Kethane AAA service which can dock with your refueling station, fill up, and depart from KLO to bring 1000 liters of Kethane to any stranded kraft in the Kerbin system in under 24 hours. This vehicle must be fully reusable and able to power itself with converted kethane. It must have enough capacity to perform a round trip from the fuel depot to the stranded kraft and still deliver 1000L of Kethane. The stranded craft may be landed on Mun or minimus, or may be in orbit anywhere in the system.

Edited by nhnifong

Operation Gearheads (orbital construction)

Phase 1, Setup. Complete

Place an orbital construction craft in orbit around the Mun.

Phase 2, liquid fuel and engine delivery, Complete

Design a delivery craft that will deliver fuel tanks, engines, and stack decouplers to the orbital construction ship. Ensure there is a return stage to deliver the pilot safely home

Phase 3, fuel and radial decouplers delivery, Complete

Design a delivery craft that will deliver fuels tanks and radial decouplers to the orbital construction ship. Ensure you have a return stage to deliver the pilot safely home. Swap pilots from the orbital constructor to the delivery craft so simulate changing shifts.

Phase 4. rcs, rcs blocks, and landing leg delivery . Complete

Design a delivery craft that will deliver rcs, rcs blocks, and landing legs to the orbital construction ship. Ensure you have a return stage to deliver the pilot safely home.

Phase 5. Build craft, land on minmus, mun, and then return home to Kerbin. In progress.

My next operation will be a Kethane adventure, much like nhnifong. I've been planning it all day at work. I'd add, I've already done the land on minmus, land on the mun, and then return to kerbin using a stock rocket. This is just to see how small I can make the lander by not having to launch from the surface. The goal is to space lift supplies and build my inter-planet ships.

Uses Mod/Plugin: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/9283-0-16-0-Plugin-Orbital-Planetary-Construction-V9-3

Edited by air805ronin
spelling

My current mission is the most ambitious to date. Using the new docking & fuel transfer mod, I'm planning a Grand Tour using an SSTO that doesn't have enough delta-V to get to the Mun and back. I thought this would be more interesting then a reproduction of an Apollo style Mun laning with this mod.

Step 1 - Build a huge tanker and place it in LKO. - Complete (but orbit needs to be circularised and fine tuned)

Step 2 - Retro-fit medium SSTO with docking parts and RCS system, test and refine balances - Mostly Complete

Step 3 - Build another tanker then land it on the Mun at the equatorial Arch. I already have one of these tankers, I just need to refit with the docking fuel transfer mod and remove the old transfer mod. - TODO

Step 4 - Launch SSTO, dock and refuel in LKO - TODO

Step 5 - Transfer to Minmus, then land - TODO

Step 6 - Launch, transfer to Mun (somehow) and land at Arch n Go. Refuel (if needed) and buy a Mun Slurpee. - TODO

Step 7 - Launch, transfer to Kerbin, land at KSC on runway - TODO

Some of the other missions in that thread are nifty, but I like that there's a bit more formal style to this one...

In any case, I'm game for this. (Though note I've played KSP for a grand total of 7 or so hours now...so I'm probably still very lost on specifics of orbital mechanics. Notably, I need to tackle the issue of transfer to Mun and Minmus with target inclination, inclination changes, and positioning geostationary satellites with specific longitude.)

COMSTAR Project

Project goal: Establish RC (mod) data network that is capable of providing 100% coverage of Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus surfaces and surrounding space.

Phase 1: Testing of COMSTAR designs.

Phase 1 Progress:

18/09/2012: Development of COMSTAR satellites is necessary, as well as an appropriate payload delivery system. After experimenting with an engine-less RC satellite (COMSTAR-A; it did have RCS thrusters), I found that MechJeb threw a fit and seemed to have no idea what to do. So I'm going to try adding a small ion engine and solar panels. Besides, it'll make it look cooler. Solar panels make everything look cooler. Payload delivery system was initially two-stage with boosters. I'm now considering a Saturn-like liquid-fuel-only design, with probably 3 stages, the goal being to minimize leftover debris that is put into orbit. The final stage that delivers the payload contains an MMI command-doohicky (technical term), allowing it to be moved to the graveyard after deployment. (The satellite itself contains the RC controller units and a MechJeb 9000 for good measure. I need data for my brain to chew on when I'm piloting.)

19/09/2012: Okay, so after a lot of headache and annoyance, I've scrapped the idea of having the comm sats completely RC-based. They've got an MMI satellite command module now. It became infuriating dealing with KSP's staging; decouplers didn't stay where I wanted. The RC bits don't seem to be getting renamed as they should either. Maybe that's something that broke with the 0.17 update. *sigh*

Phase 2: Establish Kerbin COMSTAR relay system of geostationary satellites (alt. 2870 km).

Why geostationary? Because in my imagined world of Kerbin, those poor sods don't have satellite communications yet. They really could use some satellite TV for entertainment, and space program propa...er...public service announcements.

Will consist of 5 satellites in geostationary orbit around Kerbin in a star-pattern...ish. I'm still not clear on the specifics of getting the darn things exactly where I want them in space, but the addition of an ion engine should help matters in that orbit will be correctable later...somewhat. Will try to make the design somewhat realistic, in that any extra (more than one) microwave dishes will have robotic thingamabobs to target them. (No it's not actually necessary. No, I don't really care that it isn't. :P )

Phase 3: Establish Mun COMSTAR relays.

I figure this'll take about three satellites placed fairly high though not so much so that they are recaptured by Kerbin. Preferably, this will have all three satellites in the same launch vehicle, with the single vehicle ferrying each satellite to it's intended position before being ditched into deep space. Then deployment should be as easy as one, two, three...with a lot of maneuvering in-between. (This delivery vehicle might even be of the 1.75-2m variety. Haven't thought that far ahead yet.)

Phase 4: Establish Minmus COMSTAR relays.

Probably three satellites as well. Similar delivery to Mun relays. I'll ponder this later.

Will update this post as things progress.

(Yes, I'm a MechWarrior fan.)

Edited by phoenix_ca

Phoenix_ca, may I suggest that you place a "sanity check" satellite in orbit around kerbin, just outside the orbit of the mun, and then perform your munar sat placement missions while it is behind the moon? The latency is bad, but it's better than nothing, and you may be surprised how often this backup satellite will save you when you would have otherwise been left in the dark!

Karolus10: Double posting, second post has been removed and merged bellow - please using "Edit Post option", thank You.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ok, since we have no vanilla missions and I love this thread, heres one to chew on. Hopefully you will find this hard, because I see that you are all seasoned kerbonauts.

Create a single craft that can deliver a research kerbal intern to BOTH poles of Kerbin. It must get into orbit, land at a pole, drop off a kerbal, take off again, land at the other pole, and drop off another kerbal. After that? who cares. I say orbit because I am impatient. I know you could do it with a plane, but it would take hours.

Edited by karolus10

Current Missions:

(1) Crew replacement mission to JEBLAB-1 station

Launch vehicle: OrbitStar III

Mission: SUCCESS

Notes: Rendezvous is always a pain. JEBLAB is in a 151 km circular orbit and has a couple Kerbals I swap in and out. I put it up prior to the docking mods, which makes it even harder.

(2) Orbital test of MoaR IIb booster for future Duna missions

Launch vehicle: MoaR IIb

Mission: MARGINAL SUCCESS

Notes: Moar IIb is the second largest (in terms of mass) booster I've ever flown, a lag-inducing beast which can put ludicrous loads in low Kerbin orbit. I messed up the ascent some and did a poor insertion; the poor orbit and accidental waste of fuel made me mark this as a marginal success. The success part is that it did in fact put the whole huge trans-Duna insertion/Duna lander stack into orbit.

(3) Mun mission: Munolith search with Munskimmer.

Launch Vehicle: Munhopper

Mission: IN PROGRESS

Notes: Munskimmers are one-man landers with sufficient fuel to do high speed, extremely low altitude zooming over the Mun. This allows me to search large areas quickly... also, it's a good test of reflexes and piloting skills. Basically, land, take off, do a burn to give yourself sideways velocity, and then put the lander in a vertical orientation to 'hop' over uneven terrain and gain altitude to avoid a crash.

Phoenix_ca, may I suggest that you place a "sanity check" satellite in orbit around kerbin, just outside the orbit of the mun, and then perform your munar sat placement missions while it is behind the moon? The latency is bad, but it's better than nothing, and you may be surprised how often this backup satellite will save you when you would have otherwise been left in the dark!

I take it you mean it would be used as a "just in case everything goes to hell and we lose comms because we're dumb and put something on the wrong side of that big rock" satellite? :P It's an idea, though not sure how much use it'll be if I can get all three comsats in one go.

Are you trying to put all your comsats up with ships that must be controlled by radio link? if so the first one is really hard, as well as the first one around the moon sometimes. You pretty much have to put up a geostat first with a weird and expensive launch profile.

Nah, the launch and orbital transfer stages can handle themselves. I stick some sort of normal command module on them. I'm still working-out the fineries of how to use the RC mod correctly to get the desired effect (lone spacecraft that do indeed go out-of-contact when they can't relay a signal back home). Slapping a MechJeb module of any kind on the darn things anywhere seems to make them always-pilotable (please correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe there will be time for that...after I make a launch vehicle that doesn't have such a tendency to explode...either on the pad, or tear itself to pieces later...or wobble into a mess and create impromptu fireworks. :P (It's kinda silly how much fun I have just watching my not-so-well-laid plains go horribly awry in this game.) Seems my satellites are rather heavy.

This is my first thought through mission so maybe it will go better. Im exploring Kerbin before I decide to go back to the Mun

--------

Mission: To get camera sattelites in different orbits around Kerbin to scan to take high quality pictures of its surface.

Name in my Space Program: KEC (Kerbin Exploration Cameras)

Color Key:

Purple: Not Attempted Yet

Blue: In Progress

Red: Failed Mission

Green: Mission Success

Sattelite Names: C-SAT (A, B and so on)

--------

Phase 1: Design (Status: In Progress)

- Make a launch vehicle that should be capable of bringing a payload to orbit.

- Get a mod that gives you payload fairings and adapt the launch vehicle with it.

--------

Phase 2: Testing (Status: Not Attempted Yet)

- Test the launch vehicles capability and see what needs changing before the sattelites are sent into orbit.

- See how high the launch vehicle can orbit with enough fuel left for de-orbit and record it for the C-SATS.

- Test the sattelites camera capability on the ground and the test flight.

--------

Phase 3: Planning (Status: Not Attempted Yet)

- Plan the sattelites orbits higher up each time to provide a variety of different pictures.

- Plan launch times for each sattelite to take pictures of different areas of Kerbin quicker.

- Find out how many sattelites are needed for the mission.

--------

Phase 4: Launching (Status: Not Attempted Yet)

- Successfully launch (an undefined amount at the moment) of sattelites.

- Test all systems on the sattelites.

--------

Phase 5: Science Mission (Status: Not Attempted Yet)

- Take pictures of specific features to be analysed and potentially visited by future missions.

--------

Phase 5.5: Data Evaluation (Status: Not Attempted Yet)

- Look at all pictures accumulated and decide where a future rover is to explore.

- Pick up all the interesting photos and delete the rest so the sattelites can take more of them.

--------

Phase 6: De-Orbit (Status: Not Attempted Yet)

- Once the newer versions of the sattelites are launched, the old will have 2 more days of it's science mission before being de-orbited.

- The sattelites will burn up in the atmosphere (Until this actually gets implemented, I'm going to have to crash).

Edited by mustwinfull

I've got quite the project made of multiple missions.

Project Mun Base

Aim: To create a mun base.

Green - Completes/Success

Orange - In progress

Red - Failure

Blue - Not started/minimal progress

Mission 1: Scouting missions

Stage 1: Planing

-1 man lander picked for scouting.

-3 locations along the mun's equator picked for landing at.

----

Stage 2:Scouting

-Landers to scout out locations to ensure their suitability.

stage 2A: Scouting mission Alpha.

-Lander works flawlessly.

-Location picked is flat and easy to land at.

--

stage 3B: Scouting mission Beta.

-Location picked is heavily inclined, Not suitable for heavy landers.

--Site Alpha preferred so far.

stage 3C: Scouting mission Gamma.

-Location picked is inclined, Suitable for heavy landers. Rovers would need to be fitted with legs for parking.

-Location close to Mun Arch.

--Site Gamma selected due to significant scientific interest in Mun arch.

----

Stage 3: Testing of heavy lander on site Gamma

-Lander is perfectly suited.

-Low fuel reserved questioned. Future redesigns may add drop tanks.

Mission 2: Mun base establishment

-Establish Mun base at Mun arch.

----

Stage 1: Development of Mun base modules

Stage 1A: module Alpha

-Habitat module.

-Crew tank

Stage 1B: module Beta

-Storage module

Stage 1C: module Gamma

-Power module

-Solar panel mod required

1D: Module Delta

-[CONFIDENTIAL]-

-Mods needed

----

Stage 2: Development of Mun base Support vehicles

Stage 2A: Mun shuttle

-Vehicle to get Kerbals to and from the mun.

-Needs significant fuel to improve ability to choose landing site.

Stage 2B: Mun Personnel Transport

-Vehicle to move Kerbals around the Mun.

-Preferably reasonably fast and easy to handle.

Stage 2C: Cargo Lander

-Modified heavy lander to 1 kerbal.

-returning not required.

-must be able to land; Module Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta and MPT.

----

Stage 2: Landings

-Land modules at location.

Stage 2A: Land Module Alpha

-Test individually.

Stage 2B: Land Module Beta

-Test individually.

Stage 2C: Land Module Gamma

-Test individually.

Stage 2D: Land MPT

-Test individually.

Stage 2E: Testing and adjustment

-Ensure all systems work together and modify designs for any unseen failings.

----

Stage 3: Crewing

-Land Mun shuttle near base.

-Use MPT as a bus to take new kerbalnauts to base.

Stage 4: Land Module Delta

-Deploy Module Delta.

-Shuttle Kerbalnauts to Module Delta.

-[CONFIDENTIAL]-

/mission

Then I plan to go to a diffrent planet because 0.17 is NOW OUT! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAY /dies.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.