YHNYC (You're Hot 'N You're Cold) Planet Pack

halleyyy

Hello everyone! This is the new thread for my *HEAVILY* WIP Kopernicus mod:

You're Hot 'N You're Cold

This mod, as of this edit, has been COMPLETELY restructured.

YHNYC aims to add in new and unique worlds to challenge your spaceflight technologies, reaching absurdly close AND far distances from Kerbol.

There will not be an absurd amount of objects as originally planned, only a few overall.

Object Concept List Below:

Spoiler

-Kerbol, intact
-Stock worlds, out to Eeloo, intact

• VARNIK- This little rock only half the size of Eeloo was ejected during the Kerbolar system's early days. It achieved a highly elliptical and inclined orbit after a very close pass to Jool. Its former moon of Bop was left behind, while the poor little world journeyed outwards to its new home, nearly twice as far from the sun as Eeloo is. The dwarf planet is largely pristine white snow and ice, with some dark soot showing through. Some craters dot its surface.
    • ORMMA- Assumed to be the 'brother moon' to Bop, this world only 6 km in size hosts a very lumpy, very colorful surface. No fissures or craters are very prominent here.
  • OLMIE- A large iceball nearly half of Kerbin's mass, this world is the remains of a now-heavily-glaciated once-habitable terra.
  • BOEKKA- A small, boiling world covered in a nearly-global metallic ocean. It sits nearly 2/3 closer than Moho to Kerbol. You MIGHT be able to survive here...
  • -REST WIP-

ALERT! CRUDDY CONCEPT ART BELOW THIS LINE. --------------

Spoiler

VARNIK

Map-838-1.png

Edited by Noah the Smol

11 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Mark my words, this is going to be vaporware in a couple of versions.

...What in the actual heck is "vaporware"?

14 hours ago, ssd21345 said:

dres doesn't exist

It's just a scam to sell more rocket parts.

8 hours ago, Noah the Smol said:
20 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

...What in the actual heck is "vaporware"?

2 answers

Long answer: Something being developed that never reaches release.

Short answer: Google

In this case, your mod will probably be updated to 1.11 and 1.12 then die on the spot. There's probably 150+ planets on that list and most modders could only dream of being able to get to 30. If you want my advice, don't share news on your big goals because you could set yourself and others up for disappointment, something Sean learned the hard way.

Edited by Bej Kerman

I like this-- I can't wait for it to release! In the meanwhile I'll share my experiences with how planets and moon systems generally work, to aid you in your journey and help add a tad more realism into where you place your planets as you create the list.

Greatest apologies if you've heard any of these-- I'm just trying to provide as much helpful information I can. Please correct me if any of these are not correct-- these have been learned with observations of our solar system, as well as certain simulations.

The list may get long so I'll package it neatly in a spoiler.

Spoiler

The closer a planet is to a star, the less moons it gets due to tidal forces. Ergo, the further out, the more moons. This is why Pluto has 5 moons, but the much more massive Venus has none.

Orbital resonances are very common in moon systems, especially if the moons are massive.

Try not to pack too many massive moons into systems, or massive planets too close together. In reality they would fling the bodies apart swiftly.

Tidally locked planets have one burning day side and one frigid night side, and occur more often the closer they are to the star. 

Tidally locked moons do exist, but do not have the same features as a tidally locked planet, as the planet is not the source of heat.

Binary planets should be tidally locked with eachother.

In binary planet systems or star systems, moons can orbit either really close to either one, or far away around the more massive one. (This is assuming you simulate binary planets with having the smaller one orbit the bigger one.)

Oceans require atmospheres.

Atmospheres work a little like moons do: the bigger the planet, the bigger the atmosphere; but distance from the parent body also helps. Though for atmospheres distance from parent bodies matters comparatively less.

Rings should only appear in planets with moon systems, and shepherd moons will determine where gaps go.

The more atmosphere, the less craters.

Remember to have thought in your oceans: if it's water, provide some explanation as to why it hasn't evaporated or frozen, or simply choose a liquid that isn't water. Similar rules can apply to atmospheres if you want to go in depth, but it doesn't matter nearly as much.

sorry if that seemed lengthy, I just wanted to make sure you knew as much as possible about how these things go.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:25 AM, Bej Kerman said:

As harsh as this is, i kinda have the same feeling. Like I'm glad the dude is enthusiastic and all, but i can go and find 3-4 "Planet packs" from them in various states of completion. I get being a bit ADD and never being able to sit down and focus on one thing for long, but it would really be nice if there was more than just an outline here.

Regardless; i wish you luck Noah on actually completing this monster. It would be a sight to behold when completed.

On 7/13/2020 at 6:37 AM, Bej Kerman said:

2 answers

In this case, your mod will probably be updated to 1.11 and 1.12 then die on the spot. There's probably 150+ planets on that list and most modders could only dream of being able to get to 30. If you want my advice, don't share news on your big goals because you could set yourself and others up for disappointment, something Sean learned the hard way.

Bingo.  The best advice I ever received was do *not* talk about your plans unless forced to in order to actualize them.  *Do* them.  Makers make.  Put away the cheerleading pom-poms, break out the blood, sweat, and tears, and *work*.  Let your ideas emergence and actual existence do the talking after you have actually done something tangible enough to make it real for others.  Imagine an egg that started talking about the chick it was going to grow inside, but with every flap of its strange egg-shell lips yolk and egg white scatter to the wind leaving an empty shell.  Don't say and spray your chicks to the wind before they hatch.  Don't dissipate your creative energy by using it to power mere flapping jaws.  You don't need the crowd's approval to make something and the true reward comes from making it, not from talking about it

On 7/6/2020 at 2:15 PM, Noah the Smol said:

Way Too Big Solar System Revived

"The most UNREALISTIC planet pack you ever did see!"

It will add who-knows-how-many planets, moons, and other objects just to crowd the solar system up, for those hungry for new places to land and new challenges.

Yes I know, "But Noooooooaaaaaaaah!!!!! You've never even FINISHED a mod before!!!!"
Things called concepts exist, and so do things called plans.

There will likely be a total of at least 35 new worlds, in Kerbol's system alone.

Currently, the system list is:

(with red for too hot, orange for warm, green for habitable, cyan for chilly, blue for cold, and violet for frozen), with a @ for a star(with the text color as a star's color), # for a terrestrial, $ for a gas planet, % for a dwarf planet and ^ for an asteroid/comet. Moons currently with undecided names are the host planet's first two letters plus a number [ex. Kr1/2/3/4/5 for Krannus].

Kerbol@

Krannus$- Gas giant, Hot Jool. All sorts of fiery reds, oranges and yellows.

• Kr1
  • Kr2
  • Kr3
  • Kr4
  • Kr5

Moho#

• Branstin- Small chunk of rock captured in a short elliptical orbit

Stillmar#- Chunky megamoho with cracks in surface

• St1
  • St2

Marstel%- Reddish-grey minikerbin with dried up seas and lakes

• Ma1
  • Ma2

Milkedred$- Pink, tan and yellow gas giant with small moons

• Mi1
  • Mi2
  • Mi3
  • Mi4
  • Mi5
  • Mi6

Dremild%- Blue/White Rock

• Dr1
  • Dr2

Kran$- Almost Rainbow gas giant

• Rethde- Red moon with maroon craters
  • Orne- Orange moon with scarlet craters
  • Yenlew- Yellow moon with brownish cracks
  • Grinne- Green moon covered in trees w/ atmo
  • Bloue- Blue ocean moon w/ thick atmo
  • Ivrie- Teal-ish ice moon with plains of grey
  • Vilet- Purple moon with seas of Explodium like Eve, grey land

Serble$- Pinkish purple gas giant with thin rings

• Ce1
  • Ce2
  • Ce3
  • Ce4
  • Ce5
  • Ce6

Golnde#- Golden and greenish rock

• Go1
  • Go2
  • Go3

Kilford%- tan and grey cratered rock

• Ki1
  • Ki2

Namis#- Orange and grey rocky world

• Na1
  • Na2

Eve#(New moons, Ellstin and Limdres as well as thin rings)

• Ellstin- Grey and red moon covered in cracks
  • Limdres- Elliptical asteroid moon, greenish blue

Dramil#- Red and white rock moved out from inner system

• Dr1
  • Dr2
  • Dr3

Stiplik$#- Habitable gentle giant with thin rings

• St1
  • St2
  • St3
  • St4
  • St5
  • St6

Kelbren#- A mostly rocky world with pools of water, habitable

• Ke1
  • Ke2
  • Ke3
  • Ke4

Stellsen$#- Superhabitable gentle giant with SUPER RINGS

• St1
  • St2
  • St3
  • St4
  • St5
  • St6
  • St7

Krisser#- small kerbinlike with equatorial and polar continents, small rings

• Kr1
  • Kr2
  • Kr3
  • Kr4

Kerbin#(Lots of new moons, thin far out rings)

• Lisden- small green munlike
  • Kildess- Mini-Kerbin with atmo and ocean, mostly islands
  • Liken- Tylo-like, red
  • Clichen- cratered blue minmus-like
  • Ilson- large moho-like brown and red world
  • Leidon- Mini-kerbin with atmo and small seas
  • Neidess- Green/grey cratered Eve-like with thin atmo

Kreet%- Red and purple world with grey craters

• Kr1
  • Kr2

Minmar#- Mint and red colors, resource rich dwarf planet

• Mi1
  • Mi2

Stilmar#- a small, greyish terra like kerbin with red water and small islands

• Sti1
  • Sti2
  • Sti3
  • Sti4

Marstier$- a red/brown/black gas w/ thin rings

• Ma1
  • Ma2
  • Ma3
  • Ma4
  • Ma5
  • Ma6
  • Ma7
  • Ma8
    •  Ma8I
  • Ma9

Gilsten$- a red and grey border-brown-dwarf

• Gi1
  • Gi2
  • Gi3
  • Gi4
  • Gi5
  • Gi6
  • Gi7

Milfress#- green and brown rock with purple craters

• Mi1
  • Mi2
  • Mi3

Minsauna#- green land grey ocean planet with thin rings

• Mi1
  • Mi2
  • Mi3

Colaina$- Large Superjool with small bands of grey on top of large green-brown bands, thin rings

• Co1
  • Co2
  • Co3
  • Co4
  • Co5
  • Co6
  • Co7
  • Co8
  • Co9
  • Co10

Hayleiy$- Large pink and blue gas giant with immense rings

• Slasse- Large green and red cratered object with very thin rings of its own
  • Minnah- Pink chunk of rock with many craters and cracks

Jaq#- A Duna-sized rock pastel green and purple in color with thin rings

• Ja1
  • Ja2
  • Ja3

Micahe$- Small blue and purple gas giant with thin rings

• Mi1
  • Mi2
  • Mi3

Minstess#- Pink and red terra with grey oceans

• Mi1
  • Mi2
  • Mi3

Loknis#- Yellow and green object covered in flats

• Lo1
  • Lo2
  • Lo3

Drimdel#- Red and orange rock with a thick atmosphere toxic to Kerbals

• Dr1
  • Dr2
  • Dr3

Duna#- with thin rings

• Ike- unchanged
  • Eki- 1/3 Ike size, light grey with heavy cratering, orbits in reverse of Ike

Drellsden#- Chilly Kerbinlike covered in mostly grassy plains, thick atmo makes up for distance, medium rings

• Dr1
  • Dr2
  • Dr3
  • Dr4

Filsin$- Salmon and green colored gas giant with thick atmo

• Fi1
  • Fi2
  • Fi3
  • Fi4
  • Fi5

Minmunst#- Mint and grey Kerbin-size

• Minmoon- Mun but minty, Minmus sized
  • Moonmin- Minmus but grey, Mun sized

Gillike%- Spherical Gilly-colored dwarf planet Ike size

• Illy- Lumpy Ike-colored object Gilly size

Laylbol#- Large Kerbinlike with thin atmosphere and crater calderas, tall plateaus

• Laythell- Large object between Laythe and Vall size, oceans in Vall-like 'craters', thick-ish atmo
  • Tylall- Large grey-cyan object Tylo-Vall in size, with grey-blue calderas
  • Bylo- Halfway between Bop and Tylo in size, greyish with deep brown craters
  • Pop- Half between Pol and Bop, tan and brown smeared on surface
  • Polythe- Halfway between Pol and Laythe's sizes, tan sandy land with brown murky oceans, thin atmosphere

Dres%

• Strylmore- Dres-colored object with white craters and cracks
  • Milsoore- Bop-sized object, covered in red splotches with mostly grey land

---DESCRIPTIONS OF THE OTHERS ARE WIP FOR NOW, IN SPOILERS BELOW---

Hide contents

Kinford#

Fornma#

Ilken#

Dreindres$

Kelmdres$

Limthe$

Kaythe#

Jool$

• New Moons and Rings

Skayne#

Steilu#

Ereox#

Eilon#

Keeloo$

Strenloo$

Eeloo%

• Kirrem$
  • Rex$
  • Lydron$
  • Kilstre$
  • Yilmere$

Kemloo#

Looie$

Merrbal#

Eirlieu#

Borbin#

Kemstrillus@(13 planets, blue dwarf)

Jarvus@(16 planets, yellow G type)

Remsie@(22 planets, red dwarf)

WHAT HAPPENED TO MÜN AND MINMUS!!!!???????

On 7/21/2020 at 1:04 PM, Relonsk said:

WHAT HAPPENED TO MÜN AND MINMUS!!!!???????

(shhhhhhhh i forgot)

On 7/13/2020 at 5:37 AM, Bej Kerman said:

2 answers

ngl thats sorta rude

1 minute ago, Noah the Smol said:
On 7/13/2020 at 11:37 AM, Bej Kerman said:

2 answers

ngl thats sorta rude

The consequence of having a massive mod is that the one person developing it gives up on it because they have to update over 100 planets. Don't say the truth I've learnt from ages of browsing mods to find most of the larger planet packs have been stuck on one version for several months or years is "rude". Unfortunately having your dreams crushed is a part of life. They're dreams and you can't expect to maintain this mod and keep it on versions people still play on. Scale back your dreams and make them realistic and manageable because otherwise maintaining this mod is going to be an absolute chore.

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2020 at 3:42 PM, Bej Kerman said:

The consequence of having a massive mod is that the one person developing it gives up on it because they have to update over 100 planets. Don't say the truth I've learnt from ages of browsing mods to find most of the larger planet packs have been stuck on one version for several months or years is "rude". Unfortunately having your dreams crushed is a part of life. They're dreams and you can't expect to maintain this mod and keep it on versions people still play on. Scale back your dreams and make them realistic and manageable because otherwise maintaining this mod is going to be an absolute chore.

I mean its technically possible, but people developing that would have to work full time as if they were developing a game.

On 7/6/2020 at 2:15 PM, Noah the Smol said:

Way Too Big Solar System Revived

This mod, as of this edit, has been COMPLETELY restructured.
WTBSSR aims to add in new and unique worlds to challenge your spaceflight technologies, reaching absurd distances from Kerbol.

There will not be an absurd amount of objects as originally planned, only a few that are going to be quite far from home.

Object Concept List Below:

Hide contents

-Kerbol, intact
-Stock worlds, out to Eeloo, intact

• VARNIK- This little rock only half the size of Eeloo was ejected during the Kerbolar system's early days. It achieved a highly elliptical and inclined orbit after a very close pass to Jool. Its former moon of Bop was left behind, while the poor little world journeyed outwards to its new home, nearly twice as far from the sun as Eeloo is. The dwarf planet is largely pristine white snow and ice, with some dark soot showing through. Some craters dot its surface.
    • ORMMA- Assumed to be the 'brother moon' to Bop, this world only 6 km in size hosts a very lumpy, very colorful surface. No fissures or craters are very prominent here.
  • OLMIE- A large iceball nearly half of Kerbin's mass, this world is the remains of a now-heavily-glaciated once-habitable terra.
  • -REST WIP-

Well Rip all the planets on the previous list. But a Solar system with 10/20 additional planets still epic if you still are developing the mod.

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2020 at 12:47 AM, LittleBitMore said:

I like this-- I can't wait for it to release! In the meanwhile I'll share my experiences with how planets and moon systems generally work, to aid you in your journey and help add a tad more realism into where you place your planets as you create the list.

Greatest apologies if you've heard any of these-- I'm just trying to provide as much helpful information I can. Please correct me if any of these are not correct-- these have been learned with observations of our solar system, as well as certain simulations.

The list may get long so I'll package it neatly in a spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

The closer a planet is to a star, the less moons it gets due to tidal forces. Ergo, the further out, the more moons. This is why Pluto has 5 moons, but the much more massive Venus has none.

Orbital resonances are very common in moon systems, especially if the moons are massive.

Try not to pack too many massive moons into systems, or massive planets too close together. In reality they would fling the bodies apart swiftly.

Tidally locked planets have one burning day side and one frigid night side, and occur more often the closer they are to the star. 

Tidally locked moons do exist, but do not have the same features as a tidally locked planet, as the planet is not the source of heat.

Binary planets should be tidally locked with eachother.

In binary planet systems or star systems, moons can orbit either really close to either one, or far away around the more massive one. (This is assuming you simulate binary planets with having the smaller one orbit the bigger one.)

Oceans require atmospheres.

Atmospheres work a little like moons do: the bigger the planet, the bigger the atmosphere; but distance from the parent body also helps. Though for atmospheres distance from parent bodies matters comparatively less.

Rings should only appear in planets with moon systems, and shepherd moons will determine where gaps go.

The more atmosphere, the less craters.

Remember to have thought in your oceans: if it's water, provide some explanation as to why it hasn't evaporated or frozen, or simply choose a liquid that isn't water. Similar rules can apply to atmospheres if you want to go in depth, but it doesn't matter nearly as much.

sorry if that seemed lengthy, I just wanted to make sure you knew as much as possible about how these things go.

thank you very much for this, ill take it into account in the new YHNYC revival! :3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.