What Annoys You Most About KSP

Just the lack of features. Particularly planets. Luckily Kopernicus exists. Even if it can be fairly buggy. Also its rather annoying to get the most efficient routes to whatever planet, so I usually end up hugely overbuilding my crafts. It hurts a bit given I see all these youtubers going to far away places with 3 parts or somthing meanwhile I can't even get an encounter with minmus without extensive timewarping. Ultimately i just need to git gud, but the difficulty curve is way too steep IMO. It should be more gentle but also get harder once you go further into the game. Beginners should be able to do somthing, and proffessionals should have some difficulty with some things. Again, luckily there's mods for this. (Namely planet packs combined with part mods)

Edited by InfiniDelta

On 8/14/2020 at 1:26 AM, aSgardw0lf said:

The early career contracts. First you have progress by doing a FlyBy at EVE. The next one is to dock two Vessels around the Mun ... then you should enter the athmosphere on EVE just to rendevouz two vessels around Mun or Minmus.

The World Firsts contracts autocomplete even if they aren't accepted or even offered.  You shouldn't have to go to Eve to do Mun and Minmus missions.

I play stock only so far. My top three grievances are:

1. Why does "Maneuver Mode" always change back from orbital parameters to the (completely useless) Roll/Yaw/Pitch display, every single time I switch between vessels? Incredibly annoying! Same thing with time display: why can't it remember that I want absolute time (UT) instead of mission time (MET)?
  2. Save game sorting. Save games are alphabetically sorted rather than sorted by game time, which makes it really difficult to find the save I want (even finding the last save can be a struggle!). (Also I'd like save game slots where I can easily save over a previous save without having to type a save game name every time, while not having to rely on a single quicksave.)
  3. Why do I constantly have to endure the long load time (AND the maneuver mode and time display resets) to go to Tracking Station to check if I have to switch craft? Why can't we have a list of vessels, sorted by "time to next event" (maneuver node, SOI switch, atmospheric entry) that I can check at a glance and use to directly switch vessel if needed?

Then there are lesser things, like why can't I save or even time accelerate with a kerbal on a ladder? Why did the Kraken blow up my command pod? Why does my surface craft/bulding creep along te ground even though it's firmly planted? Etc, etc...

The fact that user interface/experience is not important to the developers is incredibly annoying all by itself! These minor bugs/problems are known since many, many versions ago and are simply not fixed, even the easy ones (I say this as a programmer with many years of experience). Why do they ignore these issues?

4 minutes ago, Entropian said:

Did you make a bug report?  If not, they likely won't hear about it.

Well, I reported the savegame sorting issue 2019-05-29: link. It still has status "new". So that's not exactly encouraging. Together with what's written in this thread, I think I'm justified in concluding that they ignore these issues.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, EduardoS said:

the aerodynamic model is the most annoying for sure.

No, the need for autostruts, kraken hotfixes, asteroid claw loading physics, breaking ground´s filmsiness on servos and not having enough power, physics time warp, THE LANDING GEAR CLIPPING INTO THE FUSELAGE DESTROYING WINGS, and lack of big efficent engines.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2020 at 3:43 AM, Demordrah said:

How unstable and unoptimized the Enhanced Edition on consoles is.  Of the 114 games in my PS4 library, KSP is the only one guaranteed to crash every single time I play it.  In fact, crashes with other games are so few and far between that it's barely worth mentioning.  KSP is king of that hill by a long shot, and reigns supreme as the only PS4 game I have ever had corrupting save data (which has been an ongoing problem for years with this game).

I back up my PS4 saves to the Plus cloud as a matter of routine, but this is the only game where I have ever needed to download one of those backups.  Funny thing is, you never really know if the file being backed up is already corrupted (I had that bite me in the backside recently).

I would gladly volunteer my free time to play test the console patches if it meant we could actually have a stable and unbroken game for a change.  I mean, that is what we expect as paying customers after all.

Hell yea

On 8/19/2020 at 9:06 AM, Entropian said:

Did you make a bug report?  If not, they likely won't hear about it.

Yes, folks, please do this. This is perhaps the most important way you can help the KSP development team at @SQUAD is to report your bugs and make a feedback report of features you'd like to see added to KSP (Original). Please do not post your comments or ideas for KSP2 or be rude or ugly to game developers. It's free to sign up and be sure to tell them what platform you use to play KSP. If they need more information they will contact you. And you can further do them a favor by searching the bug tracker for issues similar to what you are experiencing before you make a report. You can always add your own observations, screen shots, and error logs to your comments or your entry. 

You can access the KSP bug tracker here: https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

On 9/1/2020 at 6:00 PM, EduardoS said:

It's a fun game with a few caveats, the aerodynamic model is the most annoying for sure.

Am I the only one to be annoyed by it?

Hahaha, if it had realistic aerodynamics, three quarters of the junk we design would never get off the ground, much less, land safely!

The most recent annoyance (and quite a strong one) is that when I have a scientist on EVA, I'm just is about to click "Log temperature" (or similar), but in the meantime Bob drifts away, so that the option disappears, and the next one - "Disassemble part" replaces it, but my brain already sent the "press" command to my fingers... You know what happens, right?

This is not strictly the fault of KSP, because that dangerous option is being added by some mod (I don't exactly remember which one - one from Umbra, most probably. A very good one.)

However, something could be done with the user interface. I'm a backend programmer, so you would better not ask me about the solution. :D

An annoyance belonging strictly to the KSP may be that with each new release (even minor) it is much safer to start the career game anew, instead of continuing an old one. That's the reason why I have never been to Duna, even that I started playing KSP somewhere around 2013, if my memory serves. And this also is the reason why I have Bob doing manual experiments on EVA. :P

Well, doing science in space while not being tethered is not really the best ide. Add some ladders next to your science stuff, for Bob to grab'em and stop drifting away.

Also, adding scales is a good thing to do. That way you won't starnd a kerbal in a gravity field because their EVA pack is not powerful enough for him to get to the hatch (ok, does not apply for Mun and Minmus, still, a good habit)

Edited by Okhin

18 minutes ago, Okhin said:

[...] Add some ladders next to your science stuff, for Bob to grab'em and stop drifting away.

Nay, ladders are way to advanced concept at my current technology level. I am able to launch 3 Kerbals into orbit, but building a ladder is yet far beyond the capabilities of my engineers. :D

Edited by Kazkar
The winking emoji is way too serious. Replaced with another to avoid being misunderstood for being grumpy. ;)

On 9/10/2020 at 1:31 PM, adsii1970 said:

Hahaha, if it had realistic aerodynamics, three quarters of the junk we design would never get off the ground, much less, land safely!

Hahaha, but my semirealistic fighters might work. and I wont have to work with phantom drag with the props in game. Disclaimer: Phantom Drag of the props occurs on Xbox and PS4 when the props arent spinning, because you cant feather them. It also doesn't help that the prop engine doesn't spin at a fast enough rate to counter the drag it causes. I end up hiding a few Junos in my "prop" planes. and the drag that the Junos cause because they are clipped using girders causes the planes to reach speeds of 75m/s. If I pitch up, it stalls, if I pitch down, it crashes, if I roll it, Im in a flat spin. I cant catch a break.

On 7/6/2020 at 4:32 PM, Little Kerbonaut! said:

What annoys you most about KSP? For me it’s when I am on a EVA on a moon and I go up but I end up going down and hitting the surface and bouncing back up and have to wait for the kerbals to stop bouncing. Another thing is when I am trying to get a encounter with a moon or planet and I get the encounter but it keeps glitching back and fourth to a encounter to no encounter. I am able to get around this with time warping but it still is annoying.

The fact that Eve has 5 atmospheres of atmospheric pressure, not 90 as i would like to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.