What Annoys You Most About KSP

On 8/9/2020 at 6:44 AM, katateochi said:

This
haZ2r4u.png

THIS
This bit of UI design makes me irrationally angry every time I see it, It offends me on several levels.
If I accidentally open the contents of a science container (especially one with that many results in it) I then have to click through every single result just to close the window.
It's actually easier/faster to do a quicksave and reload or switch to another craft and back again just to close it.

@katateochiI agree but there is a better workaround: open the "edit action groups" window and close it. That closes the science window. :huh:

On 9/10/2020 at 3:31 PM, adsii1970 said:

Hahaha, if it had realistic aerodynamics, three quarters of the junk we design would never get off the ground, much less, land safely!

We design such junk mostly because of the weird aerodynamics...

KSP aerodynamics is frustrating in several ways, my personal worst experience in KSP was when I unlocked Mk2 parts for the first time, he description said:

This airframe fuselage features the latest in lifting technology. Not only does it stay together during flight, it's sleek design makes your plane just that much speedier!

Which is a terrible lie, I feel myself compelled to fill a bug about Mk2 parts, if I had been warned before, if at least the description was like:

This airframe fuselage minimizes lift while maximizing drag, your plane will be slower but with an awesome look!

And then I unlocked Mk3 parts, which are about as bad as Mk2, I was expeting it this time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 11:44 PM, SJC_Hacker said:

How so?

Yes its seems annoying not having access to simple parts earlier in the game, but that forces you to design around it.  For example, the fairing solves so many aerodynamic issues on the upper stage.  If its available early, then you never hare to worry about upper stage aerodynamics.

I think he is talking about going right into manned launches instead of, for example, sounding rockets then a sputnik launch and then going to manned launches. I see what you are saying but I also agree with him as well. 

- Maneuver node does not take into account the maximum acceleration of the ship, so long burns are very inaccurate. Yesterday I did an ejection burn with ion engines that lasted 70 minutes six times over (with time acceleration 24x). These burns are super hard because when you go faster your trajectory gets straighter, It would be great if the burn time could get integrated into the trajectory. It would be nice to be able to tell the editor the Gs you can pull, and that you want to do prograde, (so not pointing exactly were the maneuver node points during the entire burn). I just want to be able to do long suicide-oberth-ejection-burns like this without too many retries: https://youtu.be/w3sfH1D5CQc?t=501

- Landing legs make your landed spacecraft jump a 100 meters into space, crashing it, when restarting physics. So using landing legs is more dangerous then just landing on the engine bells. And leaving the landing legs at home is less heavy anyway!

- Heat shield attachment location. I have to manually move the heat shields to unclip them from the part they are attached to each time. This is also an easy thing to fix.

- The unimpressive sounds; super loud staging. IIRC an update log for breaking ground says the rotors make a nice brrr sound but they are silent for me.

- The science messages are all the same, which is especially boring after you've put so much work into getting to a new place. I just want funny or scientifically plausible unique messages for every location. Maybe those messages could even be crowd sourced (& voted on with a google doc or something?) like the new loading screens? I'm sure people can come up with great ones.

Edited by kedrednael

Just now, kedrednael said:

- Maneuver node does not take into account the maximum acceleration of the ship, so long burns are very inaccurate. Yesterday I did an ejection burn with ion engines that lasted 70 minutes six times over (with time acceleration 24x). These burns are super hard because when you go faster your trajectory gets straighter, It would be great if the burn time could get integrated into the trajectory. It would be nice to be able to tell the editor the Gs you can pull, and that you want to do prograde, (so not pointing exactly were the maneuver node points during the entire burn). I just want to be able to do long suicide-oberth-ejection-burns like this without too many retries: https://youtu.be/w3sfH1D5CQc?t=501

There is a way you can see the estimated length of a burn - you have to turn on 'Extended Burn Indicator' in the settings. It's not on by default because it's relatively computationally expensive but the losses are well worth the gains in terms of accuracy.

11 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

There is a way you can see the estimated length of a burn - you have to turn on 'Extended Burn Indicator' in the settings. It's not on by default because it's relatively computationally expensive but the losses are well worth the gains in terms of accuracy.

That only tells you an estimate of when to start the burn right? But it doesn't tell you how your trajectory will change throughout the burn. So if you point prograde during a long burn, in the beginning you will already straighten out your orbit, taking you very high above the planned maneuver node position and in a very different direction than planned. Or if you point towards the manouvre node you will collide with the planet because you are lowering your periapsis. Even when you point in between maneuver node and prograde to keep your desired periapsis your direction will be off from what's planned. 

Wait it can actually calculate the trajectory through the burn?

Edited by kedrednael
added hope

Just now, kedrednael said:

That only tells you an estimate of when to start the burn right? But it doesn't tell you how your trajectory will change throughout the burn. So if you point prograde during a long burn, in the beginning you will already straighten out your orbit, taking you very high above the planned maneuver node position and in a very different direction than planned. Or if you point towards the manouvre node you will collide with the planet because you are lowering your periapsis. Even when you point in between maneuver node and prograde to keep your desired periapsis your direction will be off from what's planned. 

Really the only solutions to this problem are:

• Point above the maneuver marker - This loses you efficiency and accuracy as you aren't pointing directly at the node, but at least you won't crash into the planet.
  • Position your parking orbit high enough to avoid collision - Once again, this prevents you from hitting the planet during your long burn, but as you're higher up you benefit from the Oberth effect less.
  • Do your burn over multiple orbits - this is probably the most efficient way to do it, as it limits the amount of time you spend pointing away from prograde, but it takes much longer and is more difficult to plan.

Generally I prefer either positioning my parking orbit higher or splitting the burn over several orbits. But there's always going to be some kind of trade-off, no matter what you do - you'll always lose a bit of accuracy and/or efficiency, depending on your method.

I agree with many issues mentioned in this thread but Im most annoyed about the EVA controls: I don't like rescue Mission before getting the Claw since I always end up in misding the target of the EVA Transfer. My solution: Rendezvous via chat menu

Edited by jost

Just now, jost said:

Im most annoyed about the EVA controls: I don't like rescue Mission before getting the Claw since I always end up in misding the target of the EVA Transfer. My solution: Rendezvous via chat menu

It's easy. Get as close as you can using the manuver nodes, and then switch to target speed, this shows how fast you are going relative to the target. Then set up a maneuver node that gets the orbit as close as you can to the craft, and commence with docking or whatever you need.

On 10/8/2020 at 6:10 PM, GuessingEveryDay said:

It's easy. Get as close as you can using the manuver nodes, and then switch to target speed, this shows how fast you are going relative to the target. Then set up a maneuver node that gets the orbit as close as you can to the craft, and commence with docking or whatever you need.

It's not Deckung or rendevouz but Controller Kerbsls on EVA with aktivsten jet pack

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.