What do you during those 20+ minute burns?

fragtzack

Turn the physics warp up as far as I can without the whole ship either folding in on itself and exploding or tearing itself apart, then leave that running on mute and fire up the next episode of [insert TV box set here] on another device entirely- I don't do anything else with the PC to avoid running out of RAM (I regularly hit 97% use with over 10GB from KSP and many mods)- and let MechJeb's maneuver execution thing throttle back at the other end. Then I plot the correction burn to fix the trajectory that the hideously long burn made a mess of, and possibly a correction burn for the correction burn after that.

And if you think 20 minutes is bad, I once had a nearly 3 HOUR burn which took almost an entire day as the game was running at 1/4 speed and I was going to OPM Neidon with an efficient but low thrust plasma thruster (and I didn't know you could physics warp under acceleration back then).

16 minutes ago, SJC_Hacker said:

What kind of manuevers are requiring a 20 minute burn?  

High-efficiency, low-thrust LV-N ships. It's the way to move large cargos without prohibitive fuel consumption. 

6 hours ago, catloaf said:

Ion engines.

I'm a big "booster" for ion engines (see avatar).  I only discovered quite recently that Alt-period will engage physics warp in space, which permits engines to keep operating.  You can only get a 4-fold speed-up but that helps.

I've had 2-hour burns and longer.  I set a timer on my phone and go do something else for a while.  It's worth it.

Edited by Hotel26

On 7/7/2020 at 8:11 PM, SJC_Hacker said:

What kind of manuevers are requiring a 20 minute burn?  

Longest I've had I think is 3 minutes.   Anything longer and I will tack on more engines

One tips is rescue missions well inside Moho orbits, perfect for ion engines with their low TWR

Retrograde rescue outside dress. Granted it was multiple burns but still. 
Youtube or some site on screen two helps, even done burns while working from home 
vpanshPh.png

Edited by magnemoe

On 7/8/2020 at 5:55 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

And if you think 20 minutes is bad, I once had a nearly 3 HOUR burn which took almost an entire day as the game was running at 1/4 speed and I was going to OPM Neidon with an efficient but low thrust plasma thruster (and I didn't know you could physics warp under acceleration back then).

I am horribly embarrassed to say I did not know about it until today. Don't know how I missed that. Anyway, how does it work?

37 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

I am horribly embarrassed to say I did not know about it until today. Don't know how I missed that. Anyway, how does it work?

Alt + .(>) turns physics warp on in space and on airless bodies. Just be careful with it, it can also cause unintended side effects like your ships turning inside out, parts breaking, parts getting twisted out of shape and general kraken-y stuff like that. Autostruts help with some of it but just make sure your ship is stable and increase the warp gradually to make sure it can take it.

Grow up, start a family, return to the PC. /s

In all seriousness, when there's a particularly long burn I just stick on Strauss and listen to The Blue Danube. I have a fairly beefy PC - even my 350 part Duna mothership had a flashing yellow/green clock. Anyway, I'm patient, I can wait :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.