What mods will you miss?

I think we can expect a lot of functions currently provided in mods for KSP1 to be in stock KSP2 in some form or another, such as upgraded textures, Kerbal Engineer, colonization, etc.  So my question is, what non-core gameplay mods will you miss, and can't wait until KSP2 versions come out?

For me, I'd have to say Kerbal Operating System.  Learning to program rockets has added a whole new layer to the game for me.  Now way do I see that being in stock KSP2.

1 minute ago, shdwlrd said:

For me it would be:

MechJeb, KER (primarily for the positional info), NavHub, Pilot Assistant, and the various part mods I use.

With confirmation that colony resupply missions can be automated once you do it manually, I'd hope something like a built in MechJeb would still go through the launches (that you could even watch if interested), instead of simply changing a number in the savegame file.  This would require the game engine do different physics instances (not sure how that would work with time-warp), but I'm expecting different physics instances already with multi-player being a thing.

14 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

With confirmation that colony resupply missions can be automated once you do it manually, I'd hope something like a built in MechJeb would still go through the launches (that you could even watch if interested), instead of simply changing a number in the savegame file.  This would require the game engine do different physics instances (not sure how that would work with time-warp), but I'm expecting different physics instances already with multi-player being a thing.

With MJ, it just to do the stuff I don't want to do anymore. (Rendezvous, docking, launches) Plus MJ is a bit more accurate when planning, and doing maneuvers than I am. 

I know automation of supply lines will be in KSP2, but that doesn't mean I actually want to do the above activities again manually, even if it's only once. I've launched hundreds of rockets, rendezvous and docked dozens of times manually over the past several years. I prefer to use MJ because it's quicker, cleaner, and I'm tired of doing it manually.

I suspect most of the mods we all use that aren't implemented in stock will find their way to KSP 2. At least the ones that are still regularly updated. Also, some older mods that were abandoned but couldn't be adopted due to licencing will be open game (looking at KS3P...) and may make a resurgence 

I will buy, but won't really play it till Mech Jed and ReStock are added in... can't imagine playing this game without them.

Side note - in FarmSim, Almost all the 'useful' mods are updated 4 months after new game version (every 2 years) So expect similar for Kerbal in 2022

Edited by Atlas Gaming

Buying day one, but going to try not to play until:

MechJeb and Kerbal engineer. The two that I can maybe kind of enjoy a stock playthrough with. Not going to do a career without these or some kind of similar functionality, basically.

As for a more serious career:

Gravity Turn - Efficient ascent. Way better than MJ.

Ferram aerospace - Stock aerodynamics in KSP1 is no.

Deadly reentry - Really adds to the challenge.

Real Chutes - Customize parachutes to fit particular needs and planets.

TAC-Life Support - Life support style is a preference thing.

And the other 75 mods I have installed...

Seems like many people can agree on MJ, though.

It may seem a dumb response but: I don't know, I will know when I'll have tried the game and tested its gamemodes. 

I dont know.

i use mechjeb, chatterer, planetary base systems, kis/kas, proc fairings, reentry

given we will be able to build ground bases, planetary base systems or its function may be stock, if so, then im good.

given the point i just made, kis/kas functionality may be in game stock. If so, im good.

will we have as stock mechjebs functions? If yes, im good.

proc fairings type functionality (not the stock attempt ksp1 has) as stock? If so, im good.

will we have radio chatter? If so im good. 

plasma on entry? If so im good.

will need to play or see real gameplay of these aspects/lack there of to know.

Hopefully none.

I don't use many mods anyway, and with any luck the few I feel I do need will be addressed in the base game.

Mostly organisational...  Alarm clock, Transfer planner, Craft and Tracking Station organisers etc.  

Then for gameplay just Docking Port Alignment.

And SVE for the clouds.

9 hours ago, mattinoz said:

Why would you miss mods?

Surely those that are popular and not made obsolete by stock would be quickly recreated equal or better with new mod support.

I mean during the lag time between the release of the game and the release of your favorite mod.  Some mods, are a great, but not exactly popular.  I'm still specifically thinking about kOS, as that seems like it would be quite involved and really changes the gameplay.

19 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

I mean during the lag time between the release of the game and the release of your favorite mod.  Some mods, are a great, but not exactly popular.  I'm still specifically thinking about kOS, as that seems like it would be quite involved and really changes the gameplay.

I’m still curious as to new scripting support devs have talked about and how close that is to making a k2OS out of the box.

29 minutes ago, mattinoz said:

I’m still curious as to new scripting support devs have talked about and how close that is to making a k2OS out of the box.

If they're going through the trouble of building a powerful automation system, giving us access via some sort of console right out-of-the-box would make me very happy. That would open up so many doors for the community to start writing/sharing scripts.

kOS is pretty intimidating for beginners, but if your first experience is no more complicated than "paste this script to do a Brachistochrone trajectory," I'd bet you'd have a lot more people getting interested in it. Same thing with robotics. That didn't become a major part of KSP until it was an out-of-the-box feature, even though it was a mod for years.

On 7/8/2020 at 6:15 AM, Superfluous J said:

Probably none. I expect most of the things I like mods for fall into 2 categories:

1) Will be in KSP2.
2) I can happily live without indefinitely.

Yep. MechJeb should not exist as that functionality should be in game.

On 7/8/2020 at 6:21 PM, TLTay said:

Deadly reentry - Really adds to the challenge.

I remember killing off all my Jebs because I got the re-entry wrong. Almost doesn't seem possible to do now :(

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, for me I'd say the most I'd miss is BD Armory since blowing stuff up intentionally is too much fun. The man's work is now on Service Mode and has gone to work on VTOL VR soo someone else will have to take the torch on to the 2nd game. 

It's really something game changing for me, especially since now with multiplayer and the possibility of inter-planetary or interstellar wars.