Steering with RoveMax Model XL3

I have a largeish mining crawler, driven by the also largeish MoveMax Model XL3, and steering works fine some times, and not at all others. I can't figure out a pattern.

I know it steers with differential motor power, since they don't turn. But when I've been testing the thing, in some circumstances I can turn just fine, if slowly. The turning radius is a couple of times the length of the crawler. But in other seemingly identical sitiations I can't get it to deviate more than a degree or two from its course, for kilometers.

It can be even or uneven, sloped or flat, it just sometimes does not work. Is there some trick to these guys that I'm missing?

Edited by Tokamak

Does the mining crawler's Center of Mass move (much)? The wheels always turn about the CoM. If the center is on or near an "axle", that pair of wheels won't steer much.

This test vehicle has a large turning radius:

Spoiler

zALP97R.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.