I would like to be able to hear  the signature chopping sound from the helicopter blades. It would really add to the immersion, it feels kind of weird to have a massive chopper flying around that makes no sound at all. Bonus points if the chopping sound becomes quitter on Duna and disappears in a vacuum. Here's a concrete list of additions I would like:

1. Blades make "chop" sound effect that depends on the speed and atmospheric pressure
  2. Electrical engines have a slight electric hum, bigger engines could hum louder

I was actually really surprised when I discovered this wasn't in the game already

Thanks for reading

I think the problem with adding propeller sounds is to what part do you add the sound? As the engines are not one part, each component can be used for many different purposes. If I built a rover with rotor driven wheels, it would be peculiar to have it making chopper sounds. Likewise, a lander with unpowered blades on it for descent also shouldn't be making those noises. Not a simple piece of logic, I think.

22 hours ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

I think the problem with adding propeller sounds is to what part do you add the sound? As the engines are not one part, each component can be used for many different purposes. If I built a rover with rotor driven wheels, it would be peculiar to have it making chopper sounds. Likewise, a lander with unpowered blades on it for descent also shouldn't be making those noises. Not a simple piece of logic, I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like I already properly addressed this in my post:

1. Blades make "chop" sound effect that depends on the speed and atmospheric pressure
  2. Electrical engines have a slight electric hum, bigger engines could hum louder

This means that since only the engines hum, a rover with wheels that are driven by electrical motors would also just hum. There no blades to make chopping noises. This also means that a lander with blades that are not powered also wouldn't make any humming noise. The motor is turned off and is just acting as a bearing so the hum noise shouldn't be there. The blades will make a chopping noise which is to be expected since it's autorotating (i think). Here's an example of a helicopter descending with no engine. There's still chop chop sounds even though there is no engine humm:  

Finally here's some pseudocode to show how this could be implemented: 

//calculate engine sound 

if(motorEngaged == true){
        engineNoisePercentage =  max(100, enginePower);
}

//calculate blade sound

bladeNoisePercentage =  max(100, rotationalspeed* atmPressure); //atmPressure is the amount of Kerbin atmosphere's from 0 to 1 and above. 

The real code will off course be more complicated but I feel like even this would be better then 0 noise inside and outside the cockpit. (situation now)

On 7/8/2020 at 5:46 AM, kerbiloid said:

Probably because the chopping sound appears far outside, while the only active Kerbal sits inside, where it's roaring and buzzing.

Are you saying there are engine sounds but only inside the cockpit? I tried that in the heli I just build and my electrical rotors are still dead silent? Is my game bugged?

1 hour ago, Zwartekop said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like I already properly addressed this in my post:

This means that since only the engines hum, a rover with wheels that are driven by electrical motors would also just hum. There no blades to make chopping noises. This also means that a lander with blades that are not powered also wouldn't make any humming noise. The motor is turned off and is just acting as a bearing so the hum noise shouldn't be there. The blades will make a chopping noise which is to be expected since it's autorotating (i think). Here's an example of a helicopter descending with no engine. There's still chop chop sounds even though there is no engine humm:  

Finally here's some pseudocode to show how this could be implemented: 

//calculate engine sound 

if(motorEngaged == true){
        engineNoisePercentage =  max(100, enginePower);
}

//calculate blade sound

bladeNoisePercentage =  max(100, rotationalspeed* atmPressure); //atmPressure is the amount of Kerbin atmosphere's from 0 to 1 and above. 

The real code will off course be more complicated but I feel like even this would be better then 0 noise inside and outside the cockpit. (situation now)

Sounds like you should make a mod!

On 7/10/2020 at 1:24 AM, BigFatStupidHead said:

Sounds like you should make a mod!

I feel like the addition of sound to a motor is just a really basic feature that should come with the Breaking Ground DLC. If the sound from engine nozzles had to be downloaded from a mod I also wouldn't be OK with that. The DLC parts are less used but are a really important part of the game for me. I'm a university student and I have to study for my finals. If I have time I would probably give it a shot. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.