Comet Neowise 2020! [August Hubble photo update]

This morning was cloudy. Here was tonight's attempt

c2002-f3-neowise-13jul20.png?w=1024

More in focus but with light pollution still hard to see. We will see what we can get tomorrow night.

It looks like Wednesday is the last day to see it for us as clouds move in again. Nice that we got around a week of clear clouds. I mean we live in a desert :P.

Edited by Guest

Oh for.... like seriously? I get up for work at 3:30 am, which should have been great to see this thing, but it's been cloudy for, like, ever. Finally, a break in the weather, it's nice and clear when I got up today, and you're telling me it's moved to the evening sky?!?! When I go to bed stupidly early, before it's dark out? :mad:

It has been quite cloudy here recently, but this morning I got pictures of the comet. It has moved quite a bit since the 7th, and the tail direction has shifted. The sky conditions weren't as good on the 14th. Here are two comparison shots at the same scale (and a Moon photo for scale reference). Both are 8-second exposures (Nikon D-90, 300mm lens, ISO 1600, f/6.3).

July14.jpg

Edited by Brotoro

Nice.  Those are some good photos.  I've been stuck with cloudy skies nearly all week, unfortunately.

21 hours ago, KerbMav said:

But Jupiter is quite visible these days as well

We're at the Jovian opposition.

Edited by Entropian

Clear view tonight! I saw about 2 degrees of tail clearly, but it looked like 3-4 might be seen from a really dark location. Easily visible to my eye with the coma arcing away from the sun. My first comet! I had a very Kerbal thought while contemplating the nature of the coma: I wonder what it tastes like! :) 

I have seen the comet in both morning and evening sky today. Here's some evening pictures:

We had trouble with clouds. I spotted the head with binoculars when it was still fairly light out, but then it went behind a cloud that just followed it down for a while. But it finally came out the bottom of the cloud. Nikon D-90, 300 mm, ISO 1600, f/6.3, 8 second exposure:

July14eve1.jpg

And below here's another 8-second exposure with an airplane flying through the picture...

July14eve2.jpg

Below is a 30-second exposure, trying to get more tail. And another airplane photo-bombing:

July14eve3.jpg

And next we have a comet-set sequence (30-second exposures)...

CometSet.gif

36 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Clear view tonight! I saw about 2 degrees of tail clearly, but it looked like 3-4 might be seen from a really dark location. Easily visible to my eye with the coma arcing away from the sun. My first comet! I had a very Kerbal thought while contemplating the nature of the coma: I wonder what it tastes like! :) 

Congratulations on your first comet. May you have many more.

In my binoculars (7 x 50 that have a 7.2° field of view) I could easily see the tail filling 1/3 of the field (so about 2.4 degrees). But I could imagine seeing about half the field filled with tail.

Binoculars helped alot for our last view for now. So when we see it edited I will post it. Weather has gotten more in our favor so we will see what we get. 

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

It tastes like rock and ice ;)

You know what. Even though we didn't get great photos I am still impressed by comets. Seeing them with my own eyes give an amazing thought of wondor. I have learned more about comets this last week and previous week than I ever had in my whole life. Really cool objects

9 hours ago, Brotoro said:

Congratulations on your first comet. May you have many more.

Thanks! 

8 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

It tastes like rock and ice ;)

Yeah but...there's like salt and sugar and stuff in it...you'd wonder if it actually tastes sweet, or like bread or something.

Canon EOS Rebel T6 with a 75-300mm lens

c_2020-f3-7_14_2020.jpg?w=1024

We traveled to the shore of a large lake (Great Salt Lake to be exact) to get this photo. And this is what we got. And I am actually okay with this photo. So that closes it for me.

Cool thing actually if you add a blue filter you get more tail

comet-neowise.jpg?w=965

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

I have gone looking 3 nights in a row and seen nothing. The whole thing is a hoax, I say. 

Felt the same TBH at first. Look with binoculars! It helps a lot. Also using a star tracker help us know where to look

2 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Going to Observatory Park tonight with the nephews to try to capture this sucker. 

**Jealous noises intensifies**

Unfortunately, I live in a townhouse complex, where all the garages are flanked by two lights hardwired to be permanently on. It makes stepping outside and viewing faint objects... challenging. No luck so far. I may have to force myself to leave for work early (earlier than 4:15am) to find a dark spot before pre-dawn really gets going. If it's even still visible then. Unfortunately, at this time of year, I'd really like to be asleep before it gets really dark out, so evening viewing is not much of an option....

Edited by StrandedonEarth

9 hours ago, cubinator said:

Yeah but...there's like salt and sugar and stuff in it...you'd wonder if it actually tastes sweet, or like bread or something.

Salt adds a punch of flavor. So I would bet it would taste like some kind of bitter cake

Just now, StrandedonEarth said:

Unfortunately, I live in a townhouse complex, where all the garages are flanked by two lights hardwired to be permanently on. It makes stepping outside and viewing faint objects... challenging. No luck so far. I may have to force myself to leave for work early (earlier than 4:15am) to find a dark spot before pre-dawn really gets going. If it's even still visible then. Unfortunately, at this time of year, I'd really like to be asleep before it gets really dark out...

It is no longer great to see in the morning and has become more of an evening comet now. I live in a simmilar situation where all the light pollution stacks in the valley. So I traveled out of town to view yesterday

ALSO MAKE SURE YOU BRING BUG SPRAY IF YOU HEAD TO A LAKE!!!!! YOUR HANDS WILL BE COVERED IN RED DOTS THAT ARE EXTREMELY ITCHY!!!

I would actually show you a pic but it's gross

Wisdom from me. No joke, Binoculars are nukes

comet-neowise-meme.jpg?w=518

My binoculars are a 12x25 with a Field of 4.8 degrees and 84m/1000m

Edited by Guest

Wb3tMLI.jpg

Caught it last night! 300mm/f4 full frame, 2 second exposure, ISO 12800. Also looked awesome through 12x36 and 20x50 binoculars.

Also, some Starlink sats crossed the frame during this shot but I kind of like having them in the frame too :P You can just barely see the second tail. I'm going to have to go farther out of town soon and try again...

Edited by aspacecephalopod

Changed our settings and got some beautiful shots last night. We are thinking about heading out of town again with the better settings :)

comet-neowise-71520.jpg?w=1024

Conditions are also clearing up so we will get a few more chances to photograph

1 hour ago, aspacecephalopod said:

Also, some Starlink sats crossed the frame during this shot but I kind of like having them in the frame too :P You can just barely see the second tail. I'm going to have to go farther out of town soon and try again...

Nice! What camera

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.