Comet Neowise 2020! [August Hubble photo update]

C/2020 F3/Comet Neowise (No longer visible But HUBBLE UPDATE)

comet-neowise-71520.jpg?w=1024

The stuff:

If you want a cool poster here is a link to one

Find some selected twitter photos here (click on post that is the link to the comment):

And of course, look through the pages to see some other people's photos:

Edited by Guest

54 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

So far when I get up at 3 am it’s been cloudy. And by 4am we’re in pre-dawn here :(

I feel you. I live in a valley with mountains all over. I hope to find a flat spot for tomorrow

I was up at the right time this morning (wife came home from hospital (she was on call and had to operate on someone)). Was too lazy to drive someplace where I could see without a mountain in the way.

30 minutes ago, tater said:

NorthWEST?

Should be visible right before sunrise, near the sun (NE).

Location: Central Europe. Poland. :) Sun sets at about 9 PM now. But i work afternoon shifts, so I'm home closer to 10 PM. I went to take a look at the sky after drinking my well deserved cup of Earl Grey :D

Here's some pictures I took on the morning of July 7. The Pleiades, Moon, and Comet NEOWISE all at the same scale (full 300mm zoom of my lens). The comet looks really good through binoculars. It's visible naked eye if you know what to look for...but much better in binoculars.

PleiadesMoonNeowiseToScale.jpg

Nikon D90, ISO 1600, f/6.3, 300mm lens. Comet exposure was 2 seconds.

Edited by Brotoro

I went out with my telescope this morning, but there were clouds on the horizon and it obscured the comet.  I got a few glimpses of it in between the clouds though, so I'm going to try again tomorrow morning.

I went outside right before dawn, but there were clouds to the northeast and they completely obscured ~15 degrees of altitude.  Luckily I can see a wide azimuth, so I can look at dusk and dawn.  I got some blurry photos of the moon though:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ibwlmqjq2gty6u/IMG_5705.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qy1tyy6tfl9vwj/IMG_5727.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fat1yboro5pqlhr/IMG_5734.JPG?dl=0

Edited by Entropian
NORTHeast

neowise-6.jpg?w=1024

I beat the light pollution and the mountains!!!!

Here is our photos (I was with someone else that had better gear)

You can see in the photo there how faint it is already at 5:00 AM.

This was our photo from the telescope earlier

neowise-7.jpg?w=414&h=

Here was our canon

neowise-3.jpg?w=737&h=

We want to try again with a better tripod this sunday!

Well peeps I tried again and light pollution beat us. We where able to see it but none of our cameras could. BUT now the comet will be visible after sunset. So it will be easier to see now

Finally weather improved. I was able to see the comet low above the horizon just before midnight. It's quite faint, though binoculars helped a bit :( Certainly not even close to comets Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp.

But hey - after 23 years of dry spell on Northern hemisphere, any visible comet is welcomed :)

I saw it yesterday! It took me days because of bad weather. I got a look at it through binoculars around 4:45 AM. I actually gasped when I finally saw it. It was faint, but I could make out the tail. I ran and got my telescope, but by the time I got it set up, it was too bright to see anything but a blur around the comet. I did get a look at Venus as a crescent, which I had never seen before. That's something. I also took an awesome photo of the moon using my phone held up to the eyepiece. I'm just blown away that it came out this well, considering the method.

ZhHXwjA.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.