Space Telescopes in KSP 2?

Interesting idea.  I'd imagine interstellar distances will also be scaled down, like planetary distances, so the closest star will be, say 0.4 light years away.  At that distance a big James Webb style space telescope could probably get quite a bit more detail on exoplanets than we could imagine. 

Something like Kepler, or since this is Kerbal Space Program, "Kepler," would be able to find hundreds or thousands of exoplanets.  I'm pretty sure the devs will only be modeling at most a hand-full of other planetary systems.

6 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Interesting idea.  I'd imagine interstellar distances will also be scaled down, like planetary distances, so the closest star will be, say 0.4 light years away.  At that distance a big James Webb style space telescope could probably get quite a bit more detail on exoplanets than we could imagine. 

Something like Kepler, or since this is Kerbal Space Program, "Kepler," would be able to find hundreds or thousands of exoplanets.  I'm pretty sure the devs will only be modeling at most a hand-full of other planetary systems.

Totally. We have also seen how we need certain resources to build certain parts. Maybe if we had gold, we could build a larger sail. It could be a nice little mechanic especialy in the scaled down solar system neighborhood. 

14 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Gunna plug this in, its a thread where I talked about a similar concept with a broader system encompassing it,

Thanks! The flaw with Science in KSP in my opinion is that it feels very empty (not as bad as contracts, but still empty). Telescopes and space station experiments are the types of science that they need to add. Eventually graphics for experiments would be cool too.

57 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

Thanks! The flaw with Science in KSP in my opinion is that it feels very empty (not as bad as contracts, but still empty). Telescopes and space station experiments are the types of science that they need to add. Eventually graphics for experiments would be cool too.

It's why I really enjoyed SCANSat as a way to figure out biomes (which is nerfed a bit by KER) and elevations.  It made you work to get that information to know where to land to hit other biomes.

7 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

It's why I really enjoyed SCANSat as a way to figure out biomes (which is nerfed a bit by KER) and elevations.  It made you work to get that information to know where to land to hit other biomes.

Hopefully satellite missions are still important, even with OP engines.

11 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Another lovely thing about scansat you could get enough info to narrow down the areas you wanted to land. Then send a probe or two to get more detailed info.

There's a ton of interesting stuff to talk about if a telescope feature is introduced. Including my favorite, launching a probe way out into the Kuiper belt to use the sun as a giant gravitational lens in order to directly image exoplanets.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20180002197.pdf

If the point of KSP2 is to go interstellar, those would be some pretty cool missions to launch before picking a star system to visit.

34 minutes ago, afafsa said:

There's a ton of interesting stuff to talk about if a telescope feature is introduced. Including my favorite, launching a probe way out into the Kuiper belt to use the sun as a giant gravitational lens in order to directly image exoplanets.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20180002197.pdf

If the point of KSP2 is to go interstellar, those would be some pretty cool missions to launch before picking a star system to visit.

Totaly. With scaled down distance with the kerbal equivalent of hubble/James Webb we could probably get a somewhat clear image of a body, and determine if it has a atmosphere, liquid, or has any other features we can find using telescopes IRL.

11 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

I felt that science was empty as well and started this thread a while back:

It details on an idea I had for an interactive in game wiki dependent on science data gathering. I think it would really add to the overall experience in KSP giving tangible gains beyond tech points for science and would act in a way science acts in real life... by creating real and useful data to help the player as they progress.

I'm not a programmer but I have dabbled and I dont think setting something like this up would really be that difficult for something like a development studio. Hell I bet 1 or 2 amateur modders could dev something like this as it would just be a data table that makes graphics based on conditions dependent on research

6 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I felt that science was empty as well and started this thread a while back:

It details on an idea I had for an interactive in game wiki dependent on science data gathering. I think it would really add to the overall experience in KSP giving tangible gains beyond tech points for science and would act in a way science acts in real life... by creating real and useful data to help the player as they progress.

I'm not a programmer but I have dabbled and I dont think setting something like this up would really be that difficult for something like a development studio. Hell I bet 1 or 2 amateur modders could dev something like this as it would just be a data table that makes graphics based on conditions dependent on research

There are 30 plus experienced devs on the team. I have faith in the new adventure mode, but scraping science, or data collecting would truly be a shame. We have mods, but what about console players? Shouldn't some things be stock? We are paying the premium for this game.

Just now, PlutoISaPlanet said:

There are 30 plus experienced devs on the team. I have faith in the new adventure mode, but scraping science, or data collecting would truly be a shame. We have mods, but what about console players? Shouldn't some things be stock? We are paying the premium for this game.

Well I would hope this feature would be stock, I was simply saying that the difficult to make this happen, in my inexperienced opinion, wouldn't be that high. Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems pretty simple. It would definitely help the longevity of the game and really bring an extra sense of adventure and discovery that I believe would keep people playing longer and give them a goal to expand on as they see fit.

6 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

I just wanted to drop this here, it seems like it might be along the lines of what you're suggesting.

Research Bodies

I use it, it's pretty good.

research bodies is a good starting point with A LOT left to be desired. Tarsier Space Technology compliments it but the fact that it costs money to take a picture is insane... Should be based on exposure time and telescope specs. Would be cool if you could set up long duration "surveys" of the sky.

Perhaps build up an atlas of whats been surveyed to what resolution, at what wavelengths, and to how long of an exposure. Mimicking real life telescope capabilities would be simple as well. Increased apertures lead to greater resolutions based on Dawe's limit:

ef9c03c085e47a5897712c18cfb5898802b98b7a

and greater focal lengths linearly decrease the field of view making more "zoom" while sacrificing light causing a linear increase in needed exposure times. It could go as far as having an assortment of CCD/CMOS sensors with different efficiencies and  pixel sizes to further finesse the building of these telescopes. With this we could have parts to create our own telescopes to send into space to conduct our own surveys with ease and the player would "accidentally learn" a lot about astronomy and astrophotography. Hopefully the game will include exotic bodies in space instead of just solar systems, planets, and moons... This could include many types of nebulae, black holes, exotic stars, globular clusters, and more.

I feel the lack of telescopes in KSP has been somewhat shameful as a lot of what we put into space is cameras/telescopes and this is a desperately needed feature within the series and at the least an amazing feature to include.

6 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Hopefully the game will include exotic bodies in space instead of just solar systems, planets, and moons... This could include many types of nebulae, black holes, exotic stars, globular clusters, and more.

I hope so, but in my search for hints or conformatiions I have found zilch. The ksp background of stars in space has no character. Giving us the ability to view and study beautiful formations in the surrounding space would be really awesome. BTW rogue planets would be cool.

6 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

I hope so, but in my search for hints or conformatiions I have found zilch. The ksp background of stars in space has no character. Giving us the ability to view and study beautiful formations in the surrounding space would be really awesome. BTW rogue planets would be cool.

To be fair most of the large objects mentioned are pretty dim. A few nebulae are visible with the naked eye (orion nebula for example) but are small enough to appear as just smudgey stars. It always amazes me though that the Andromeda galaxy is about 4x bigger than the moon in the sky but only the core is bright enough to see with the naked eye so it also appears as a smudgey star.

A big part of the joy of astrophotography though is seeing whats revealed in long exposure images. Keep in mind the moon and sun are about 1/2 a degree in the sky while the orion deep fields and angel nebula are much bigger

Spoiler

OriondeepfieldM_gendler_c2.jpg

The Orion Deep Field: 4.2 x 5.7 degrees.

AngelNebula_mandel_f52a.jpg

The Angel Nebula: 3 x 4 degrees.

MoonAndM31.gif

M31 - The Andromeda Galaxy
The true extent is shown in the ellipse - the image is just the central part.

I feel like being able to unveil things like this would give players a greater desire to venture out and discover. They would further impress us with the vastness and scale the universe offers and call to us to go out there and see what it is like. Finally, I really think this would get more people to put their laptop down and just go outside at night and see what's out there. Doing astrophotography I spend a lot of time with the sky and I've been lucky enough to see several fireballs, one of which was right overhead and lit up the parking lot I was in like the daytime sun for a full 2 seconds. I will never forget that moment.

Edited by mcwaffles2003

On 7/8/2020 at 4:31 PM, PlutoISaPlanet said:

With new solarsystems, space telescopes could be implemented into the game (James Webb partnership with NASA). To have new systems on your map, you can locate them via a orbital telescope. Just a idea.

Maybe in career mode you can get contracts wanting you to make telescopes and exploring new systems 

18 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Finally, I really think this would get more people to put their laptop down and just go outside at night and see what's out there.

Unless you live in or near a large metropolitan area. You're lucky to see the brightest stars with all the ambient light.

8 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Unless you live in or near a large metropolitan area. You're lucky to see the brightest stars with all the ambient light.

You'd be surprised.. I live in a bortle 6 zone only 5-10 minutes from an inner city and on occasion take a 20 minute trip to a state park where the skies are a bit darker. This was taken from my bortle 6 balcony

WAY0W6x.gif

Planets are visible even in the deepest of cities. For most people a decent pair of binoculars will open up a lot of the sky and for enthusiasts I suggest looking up astrobackyard (astrophotography youtube channel) where the host is in a bortle 7 taking pictures like this:

astrophotography-by-trevor-jones.jpg

He's a bit better at this than me but hes got a few more years exp with him... Ill catch up. Here's his gallery:

https://astrobackyard.com/astrophotography-images/

Edited by mcwaffles2003

57 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

To be fair most of the large objects mentioned are pretty dim. A few nebulae are visible with the naked eye (orion nebula for example) but are small enough to appear as just smudgey stars. It always amazes me though that the Andromeda galaxy is about 4x bigger than the moon in the sky but only the core is bright enough to see with the naked eye so it also appears as a smudgey star.

A big part of the joy of astrophotography though is seeing whats revealed in long exposure images. Keep in mind the moon and sun are about 1/2 a degree in the sky while the orion deep fields and angel nebula are much bigger

Hide contents

OriondeepfieldM_gendler_c2.jpg

The Orion Deep Field: 4.2 x 5.7 degrees.

AngelNebula_mandel_f52a.jpg

The Angel Nebula: 3 x 4 degrees.

MoonAndM31.gif

M31 - The Andromeda Galaxy
The true extent is shown in the ellipse - the image is just the central part.

I feel like being able to unveil things like this would give players a greater desire to venture out and discover. They would further impress us with the vastness and scale the universe offers and call to us to go out there and see what it is like. Finally, I really think this would get more people to put their laptop down and just go outside at night and see what's out there. Doing astrophotography I spend a lot of time with the sky and I've been lucky enough to see several fireballs, one of which was right overhead and lit up the parking lot I was in like the daytime sun for a full 2 seconds. I will never forget that moment.

When I was on vacation I saw a fireball over my head in a parking lot, but it was night. That event totaly sparked my curiosity. The crazy things in are universe are so cool and wild, and they are all happening above us. I have a very weak telescope but I am starting to pick up the hobby. KSP really helped enforce my inrest in space also, so I really hope this game exceeds expectations.

2 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

When I was on vacation I saw a fireball over my head in a parking lot, but it was night. That event totaly sparked my curiosity. The crazy things in are universe are so cool and wild, and they are all happening above us. I have a very weak telescope but I am starting to pick up the hobby. KSP really helped enforce my inrest in space also, so I really hope this game exceeds expectations.

Off topic but what kind of scope are you using? I do my pics with a 6" ritchey chretien. When I get a house Im hoping to build myself a nice fat newtonian on a dobsonian mount.

8 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Off topic but what kind of scope are you using? I do my pics with a 6" ritchey chretien. When I get a house Im hoping to build myself a nice fat newtonian on a dobsonian mount.

My friend has a older model resembling  a celestron next star (I think). I want to get more into the hobby, but I'm not craking 1.5k for a telescope like that. I have a cheap 50 60 dollar telescope from Amazon. The reason I have not upgraded from a starter scope is because I live in a area very close to NYC, so I am afraid of how good picture would be looking at nebula and clusters. I am thinking soon though to upgrade, but for now I'm happy.

14 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

My friend has a older model resembling  a celestron next star (I think). I want to get more into the hobby, but I'm not craking 1.5k for a telescope like that. I have a cheap 50 60 dollar telescope from Amazon. The reason I have not upgraded from a starter scope is because I live in a area very close to NYC, so I am afraid of how good picture would be looking at nebula and clusters. I am thinking soon though to upgrade, but for now I'm happy.

Well for when you do upgrade, I dont know how much you know on the subject but if nebulae and clusters are what you are looking for dont go for something like a nexstar as they are high zoom low brightness scopes, instead look for something like a low f# (around 4 or under) newtonian and if you are looking to do imaging stay away from alt/az mounts and get a german equatorial.

30 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Well for when you do upgrade, I dont know how much you know on the subject but if nebulae and clusters are what you are looking for dont go for something like a nexstar as they are high zoom low brightness scopes, instead look for something like a low f# (around 4 or under) newtonian and if you are looking to do imaging stay away from alt/az mounts and get a german equatorial.

Thanks! I'm definitely not a telescope expert, but I will remember this advice. I love space, so seeing it is very important to me. Again, highly appreciated!