There is a secret command pod?

minerbat

if you use the advanced search options in the VAB, you can find a command pod that is not in the normal command pods tab. it has exactly the same properties as the MK1 command pod (even the name is the same) but it looks like the mercury capsule. is this an easter egg or something like that? are there any more of these hidden parts?

I think what you found is the old model for the Mk1 command pod.

Command_Pod_Mk1.png

It was deprecated around... two years ago, I think?..., but it's still in the game for compatibility purposes with older craft. Same with the old SRB models and some old decoupler models that aren't in the game anymore.

Edited by Fraktal

Deprecated parts (old versions replaced by new ones) like that Mk1 pod and some rockets e.g. skipper and terrier, are still kept in the game to avoid breaking save games from old versions if the user updates to a new version of the game. You can still use them if you want as they're probably almost identical in performance terms to the new versions, but they're old models and don't look as nice as the newer versions.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

22 minutes ago, minerbat said:

yes that is it. sorry english is not my main language what does deprecated mean? that it has been removed? are there more things like this?

i actually think that is look kinda cool! :)

They are old parts, they were replaced but kept in secret to make sure saves don't have things go wrong.

On 7/9/2020 at 7:20 AM, minerbat said:

sorry english is not my main language what does deprecated mean?

Probably not what the original author meant:

verb (used with object), dep·re·cat·ed, dep·re·cat·ing.

to express earnest disapproval of.
to urge reasons against; protest against (a scheme, purpose, etc.).
to depreciate; belittle.

Obsolescence is what he seems to have meant.

adjective

becoming obsolete; passing out of use, as a word: an obsolescent term.
becoming outdated or outmoded, as machinery or weapons.
Biology. gradually disappearing or imperfectly developed, as vestigial organs.

The part that you found is obsolete but has been left in game for backwards compatibility.

The term Deprecate is used a lot in software development to describe exactly this situation, you put in a new feature or way of doing something, but leave the old one in place so any old code that used it still works, but you discourage people from using the old method deliberately.

Deprecated and  deprecation are also terms used in accounting to describe the reduction in value of items over time, for example if a van was bought for 10,000 new and was worth 5,000 5 years later it would be deprecated by 1,000 per year.

Source: trained as an accounts clerk.

27 minutes ago, Star-Eagle said:

Deprecated and  deprecation are also terms used in accounting to describe the reduction in value of items over time, for example if a van was bought for 10,000 new and was worth 5,000 5 years later it would be deprecated by 1,000 per year.

Source: trained as an accounts clerk.

I’d say that was Depreciated (with an I) not Deprecated. But, we’re going off topic a bit with the semantics of the wilfully confusing and contradictory trainwreck that is the English language.

Back on topic- old parts are still there to not break old saves if someone updates to a new version of the game, but you probably shouldn’t use them because they were replaced for a reason.

10 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I’d say that was Depreciated (with an I) not Deprecated. But, we’re going off topic a bit with the semantics of the wilfully confusing and contradictory trainwreck that is the English language.

You're right, it's been a long day and I didn't catch the spelling difference. And to further avoid derailing the thread a quick search shows that deprecate/deprecated/deprecation are indeed terms used to indicate an older item or part that has been replaced by something newer. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.