KNS stock roundel/decal pack

Roundel/decal pack

Being a model builder since i was about 6-7 years old, i have really learnt to appreciate the impact something as simple as a roundel can have in the looks of a model airplane, or in this case a KSP build. So a long time ago i installed a couple decal mods and started to decorate my aircraft to make them a little more exiting.

And i couldn't be happier about the fact that now it's possible to do that in stock...yes it may be more limited than Nebula decals, witch is the mod i have been using for years now, but it's still pretty fantastic.

So, i went ahead and modified and pretty heavily updated my existing list of custom decals so that they work with the new stock decal parts.

Here is the list so far.

DISCLAIMER: None of these decals (except for the RAF tail-stripes) where made by me, i just pulled them off the internet and edited them to make them work, so credit goes to the original creators.

b1ph6gU.png

Your basic list of roundels from a bunch of different countries that saw action in WWII: Britain, USA, Germany, France, Italy, Russia, Poland, China, Japan and Finland.

I also included some modern roundels as-well to use in your shiny new jets.

Now that i have a better grasp of the mess know as Gimp, i will likely be adding quite a few new decals as time goes on as i want this pack to be as nice and diverse as possible, with all kinds of military related decals, all the way from basic roundels to nose art, squadron markings, code letters/numbers, inscriptions, stuff like that.

Make this a sort of one stop shop for this kind of stuff, or something similar.

Help in achieving this would be greatly appreciated.

So, if you have any decals of this type and would be willing to share them, please feel free to send them my way and i will add them as part of this pack and will of-course give full credit to whoever shared it.

Instructions:

What you need to do to make these work, is to first locate your KSP folder (Steam - Steamapps - Common - KerbalSpaceProgram, for steam users) and there locate the Flags folder (Gamedata - Squad - Flags)  and copy the decals there.

NOTE:

All the flags get slightly stretched for some reason (round decals become more elliptical) even tough ive made sure each and every decal has the same 2:1 proportions as the official flags, so things are gonna look a little wrong.

Download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5l0s6bg9nqqoyu/Roundel_decal pack 1.zip?dl=0

And there you have it, a bunch of lovely decals to decorate your plane with. I hope you enjoy them :).

• 4 weeks later...

Time for a little update.

I went ahead and did a little extra searching around for some additional decals, and believe it or not, i now have near 400 new decals waiting to be edited so they work.

Most of that stuff comes straight from War Thunder.

So, be patient, as it's going to take some time for me to get trough all of them, especially now that school is starting. I will of-course segment it to smaller packs.

First thing im gonna focus on, is the rest of the national markings.

I couldn't find the thread where I've learned this, but you don't need to make the flags in 2:1 ratio like the stock flags. I'm using a 512x320 Roundel of Germany image and it works fine, without the distortion as well.

On 8/9/2020 at 12:47 AM, Ezero said:

I couldn't find the thread where I've learned this, but you don't need to make the flags in 2:1 ratio like the stock flags. I'm using a 512x320 Roundel of Germany image and it works fine, without the distortion as well.

Interesting, every-time ive tried to use an image whose canvas isn't in the 2:1 ratio, the game has stretched it to that.

15 hours ago, dnbattley said:

I've found it quite useful to create "catalogue pages" of decals which are then easily shared via Imgur (e.g https://imgur.com/AgJXcIw ), but a side effect of this process is to automatically resize decals to the preferred size of 512x256, if you want me to assist you on that.

I think we could give that a go and see what the end result is.

Update for everyone: just finished editing the national markings side of the decal pack (over 90 decals), just need to rename them and ill be ready to put them in-game and then release them.

I'll probably work on the tank-numbers next.

Edited by kapteenipirk

3 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

I think we could give that a go and see what the end result is.

Just point me in the direction of the flags!

In the meantime, I created a catalogue page for the army stencil font decal set I generated to use recently:

Spoiler

9Icc6MI.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.