Why don't we ever see kerbals blink?

KerbalChamp2006

We know kerbals have eyelids because in one of the loading screens (the one where jeb, bill, and val are posing in front of a cardboard cutout of the mün) one of the kerbals has his eyes closed. (The one facepalming on the left) so my question is why don't we see them blink anywhere else in the game? (P.s. i know this is a silly question but im just wondering)

I guess in this sub-forum the appropriate answer would be: because it isn't implemented (yet?) by SQUAD.

If you want a more general discussion about why we don't see Kerbals blink while they are flying spaceships, then I'd suggest to ask the question in the KSP Discussion sub-forum. ;)

On 7/9/2020 at 3:20 PM, KerbalChamp2006 said:

We know kerbals have eyelids because in one of the loading screens (the one where jeb, bill, and val are posing in front of a cardboard cutout of the mün) one of the kerbals has his eyes closed. (The one facepalming on the left) so my question is why don't we see them blink anywhere else in the game? (P.s. i know this is a silly question but im just wondering)

The official KSP Wiki says Kerbals do not have eyelids but in the KSP2 cinematic trailer I spotted a quite few blinking many times but none in game are seen blinking so i dunno really but here is the trailer for those of you who are curious:

On 7/9/2020 at 3:20 PM, KerbalChamp2006 said:

my question is why don't we see them blink anywhere else in the game?

They blink when you do.  You see it in the cinematics and still photos because those are recordings.  But when you're playing the game with 'live' kerbals, they blink when you do.  Don't try to catch them doing it; they'll know.

On 7/9/2020 at 9:20 PM, KerbalChamp2006 said:

in one of the loading screens (the one where jeb, bill, and val are posing in front of a cardboard cutout of the mün) one of the kerbals has his eyes closed.

Well, loading screens and recorded video are just artistic representations; they're not real.

On 7/9/2020 at 9:20 PM, KerbalChamp2006 said:

why don't we see them blink anywhere else in the game

Because in the real, Kerbals know the terrible truth.

The Kraken only moves when you blink. Everytime you blink, the Kraken moves a little bit closer.

23 hours ago, swjr-swis said:
On 7/9/2020 at 8:20 PM, KerbalChamp2006 said:

in one of the loading screens (the one where jeb, bill, and val are posing in front of a cardboard cutout of the mün) one of the kerbals has his eyes closed.

Well, loading screens and recorded video are just artistic representations; they're not real.

This makes 0 sense.

35 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:
43 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

This makes 0 sense.

As opposed to expecting pin-up Mr Potatohead 'eyes' with no visible eyelids to blink.

I love this forum.

What about the images in the loading screen and the KSP 2 trailer makes them non-canon?

35 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

What about the images in the loading screen and the KSP 2 trailer makes them non-canon?

'Canon'... oh dear. Let's for a moment pretend like

• 'canon' is something clearly defined and widely agreed upon (which it isn't)
  • KSP has an exhaustive body of documentation detailing everything that is or is not canon (which it doesn't)
  • and the game authors have given consistent and authoritative support to the One Truth of the Kerbal Universe (which they haven't)

.. sure, let's do this.

With 'canon' being such a fluffy term, and since we don't have any documented authoritative source for anything being official and/or authentic to the game, let's define canon by 'things that actually happen, can actually be seen, or are actually possible in the game'. Now back to your question:

35 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Actually.... not much of what is in the loading screens or the trailer is canon. Most of the loading screens show prepped scenes that you cannot get to or see anywhere in the game, in lighting conditions that are not possible in game, with Kerbals doing things they are not capable of in game, parts/engines being differently sized or textured or doing things they don't do in game, and generally showing a lot of graphics effects that are not actually in the game.

The KSP2 trailer even explicitly warns us by showing a 5 second warning at the start: "NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY". Which is the disclaimer equivalent for 'we took some liberties in what we're showing - this is not official - do not expect this to be in the actual game - marketing made us do it!'.

Even in the context of a completely fictional game universe, it is quite safe to state that loading screens and trailers are 'not real'. And that's saying something.

Now please stop taking everything I say so seriously and making it into a debate. It's a game.

1 minute ago, swjr-swis said:
1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

'Canon'... oh dear. Let's for a moment pretend like

• 'canon' is something clearly defined and widely agreed upon (which it isn't)
  • KSP has an exhaustive body of documentation detailing everything that is or is not canon (which it doesn't)
  • and the game authors have given consistent and authoritative support to the One Truth of the Kerbal Universe (which they haven't)

.. sure, let's do this.

With 'canon' being such a fluffy term, and since we don't have any documented authoritative source for anything being official and/or authentic to the game, let's define canon by 'things that actually happen, can actually be seen, or are actually possible in the game'. Now back to your question:

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Actually.... not much of what is in the loading screens or the trailer is canon. Most of the loading screens show prepped scenes that you cannot get to or see anywhere in the game, in lighting conditions that are not possible in game, with Kerbals doing things they are not capable of in game, parts/engines being differently sized or textured or doing things they don't do in game, and generally showing a lot of graphics effects that are not actually in the game.

The KSP2 trailer even explicitly warns us by showing a 5 second warning at the start: "NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY". Which is the disclaimer equivalent for 'we took some liberties in what we're showing - this is not official - do not expect this to be in the actual game - marketing made us do it!'.

Even in the context of a completely fictional game universe, it is quite safe to state that loading screens and trailers are 'not real'. And that's saying something.

Now please stop taking everything I say so seriously and making it into a debate. It's a game.

I think I saw a Kerbal blink in a KSP 2 gameplay video...

Besides that, despite the Kerbals not having any in-game origin or evolution, I think it's safe to say they didn't just come out of nowhere, which is where your logic falls apart.

45 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I think I saw a Kerbal blink in a KSP 2 gameplay video...

Besides that, despite the Kerbals not having any in-game origin or evolution, I think it's safe to say they didn't just come out of nowhere, which is where your logic falls apart.

Good god, this probably falls into the "self moderating" territory, but can we please not turn this into an argument.

The short answer is the other trailers are artistic representations, such as the KSP2 trailer. I think we all know that that's not what KSP2 would literally look like.

I can imagine it going something like this:

Squad: version 1.11 is now live, featuring Kerbals that blink! Just like you wanted!

Everyone: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH IT’S HIDEOUS MAKE IT STOP!!!

Squad: but...

Everyone: they keep blinking in all my screenshots MAKE IT STOP!!!

Squad: 1.11.1 is now live, and Kerbals don’t blink any more. Just like you wanted!

Everyone: BUT WE WANTED KERBALS TO BLINK! Y U DO DIS!!?!

Squad: ...

I suspect it was either too difficult to implement or nobody thought of it at first, and the lack of demand means it hasn’t been done since as other things have taken priority.

On 7/15/2020 at 1:28 AM, Zhetaan said:

They blink when you do.  You see it in the cinematics and still photos because those are recordings.  But when you're playing the game with 'live' kerbals, they blink when you do.  Don't try to catch them doing it; they'll know.

That is uber immersive.

On 7/16/2020 at 4:04 AM, The Aziz said:

They don't have to. They lick their eyeballs to keep them moist when nobody is looking.

Gosh, that is hilarious!

In the ksp2 pre-alpha gameplay you can see kerbals blink. To be honest, it’s somewhat odd, I’m so used yo kerbals just staring ahead...reliving the traumatic events they have had to experience...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.