Realism, Fun, Nostalgia, and Quality of Life Features for KSP2

@KerikBalm isn't the only one. KSP is a simulator; not perfectly realistic given sizes and densities (and ability to build silly contraptions), but balanced accordingly to keep everything on more-or-less realistic efficiencies with believable power sources. Tossing in a pseudoscientific method of propulsion and/or power undermines that to an extent.

It's also not all about current and near-future tech. KSP is rooted in a Cold War era Solar System exploration theme. This is why I think prototypes like NERVAs, LACEs, aerospikes, and HARP cannons (which were actually built and tested) should be prioritized over massive interstellar vessels. Not saying that we shouldn't have the big interstellar stuff or a nice big mass driver facility, but I'm a smaller-scale builder and thinker with a love of nostalgia.

Edited by JMBuilder

I'm fine with the interstellar drives,you won't be setting up supply lines using those. I worry for gameplay too: hydrogen should be abundant, so the psm drive fuel should be available on most bodies.

So with psm engines, what happens to airbreathers? NTRs? Metastable metallic hydrogen would be so potent that you can ignore energy gained from combustion. Radiation concerns? Gone.

Its simple easy mode for SSTOs. The psm engine would be monotonous gameplay. FWIW, I didn't even come up with the name of "purple space magic", I just liked it and am trying to get a consensus around that name if @Nate Simpson won't have it at least renamed to something generic like "ultra dense energy fuel"

I really want to have ramrockets/air augmented rockets... Like the Soviet Gnom.

Ntr jet engines like project Pluto would also be awesome

26 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

I'm fine with the interstellar drives,you won't be setting up supply lines using those. I worry for gameplay too: hydrogen should be abundant, so the psm drive fuel should be available on most bodies.

So with psm engines, what happens to airbreathers? NTRs? Metastable metallic hydrogen would be so potent that you can ignore energy gained from combustion. Radiation concerns? Gone.

Its simple easy mode for SSTOs. The psm engine would be monotonous gameplay. FWIW, I didn't even come up with the name of "purple space magic", I just liked it and am trying to get a consensus around that name if @Nate Simpson won't have it at least renamed to something generic like "ultra dense energy fuel"

I really want to have ramrockets/air augmented rockets... Like the Soviet Gnom.

Ntr jet engines like project Pluto would also be awesome

We don't know anything about the Metallic Hydrogen Engine in the game... it's probably safe to assume that there will be restrictions on it or to make it extremely end-game.

6 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

We don't know anything about the Metallic Hydrogen Engine in the game... it's probably safe to assume that there will be restrictions on it or to make it extremely end-game.

From what I recall there are multiple engines using metallic hydrogen - some are mid game and some are late game. I think the performance regime could be taken over by other propulsion systems though, so it’s not even strictly necessary.

I second some type of mass driver / electromagnetic launch facility.   Would be cool to build StarTram!

It would be a bit of a departure from what they normally do, because the focus would be on building very long structures, potentially going up mountain sides.   I would hope we had some control over individual sections, similar to how the rockets are designed.  We could then customize how it works, such as hhow each section connects to the other, the power delivery and timing , etc. 

It should have a high cost, as it would in reality, and require some more advanced tech. 

On 7/12/2020 at 11:17 PM, SJC_Hacker said:

I second some type of mass driver / electromagnetic launch facility.   Would be cool to build StarTram!

It would be a bit of a departure from what they normally do, because the focus would be on building very long structures, potentially going up mountain sides.   I would hope we had some control over individual sections, similar to how the rockets are designed.  We could then customize how it works, such as hhow each section connects to the other, the power delivery and timing , etc. 

It should have a high cost, as it would in reality, and require some more advanced tech. 

I do like the idea of modular facilities like this. We could make rocket sleds or even V3-style cannons. Better yet, we could have smaller versions of these for aircraft catapults on custom carriers.

I’m editing the original post as I go, so this is an ongoing brainstorm. :cool:

Another thing that would be extremely convenient is a system that would allow separate vessels to land themselves while the player focuses on the main vessel. This would be perfect for easily deploying probes and securing those reusable stages.

Edited by JMBuilder

Another potential discussion point...

Maybe another near-future propulsion system for the game? I'm a fan of the fancy but more-or-less conventional engines like this, along with aerospikes.

1 hour ago, Hallahan said:

I just want my career mode. Though it also be cool to do contract missions like someone will pay me to launch their satellite in space with my rocket 

Yeah, advanced career mode where we can send off stuff for other people and we get to develop our own science/rockets. Too bad it's not something for launch. Maybe they'll do something post-launch? I'm just hoping since Career was fun, but somewhat lacking after seeing Commercial Space Programs take-off and not just State-owned Space Agencies.

I seriously hope that the starting tier in career mode is at KSC2 (starting as "Jeb's Junkyard" before being upgraded) with the old parts. Talk about a retcon. No "outdated" skins; just older tech slapped together from Jeb's trash picking.

I think I love nostalgia a little too much. :D

Yet another cool thing:

All the more reason to start venturing into the more explosive aspects of science. Project HARP, Operation Argus, this...

It's a must.

Also, crew hatch parts. These are needed for letting Kerbals step out into more confined areas of a vessel.

Edited by JMBuilder