• Laythe
    • Bop
    • Tylo
    • Pol
    • Dres
    • Eeloo

50 minutes ago, eee said:

i have no idea how to get to even duna, let alone jools moon

Don't worry about that, someone who is confident at interplanetary transfers will be responsible for transporting the station components (it is a collaboration after all). Just build the components you want and maybe get them to LKO first.

So far only 9 people have voted. The destination with most votes may change as more people vote.

12 hours ago, eee said:

i have no idea how to get to even duna, let alone jools moon

Get mechjeb.

Also, Jool is a lot easier to get to than Duna because it's sphere of influence is much larger. If you don't want to use mechjeb this is an excellent guide (remember to do all burns with maneuver nodes.)

I hope Laythe gets picked because it was already gorgeous in spectra, and the revamp makes it ten times better.

Also transporting 30 modules differing size and weight to Laythe is no mean feat. If people who know how to get to Laythe did it themselves it would probably be a lot easier since the person who builds the tug will only have to transfer 8-10 modules (assumption, probably wrong.) It would also be helpful for people who can't get to the destination to make their modules attachable in a linear fashion (docking port on front and back, one can be detached for final assembly, maybe also attaching the jettisoned docking port to a large part like a fairing base and strutting the module to that (screenshots will be provided tomorrow.) 

However, as you can see by this rapidly rising wall of text, the variations from module to module almost necessitate people to transport it individually, either manually or mechjeb.

Edited by catloaf
Of course, I'm open to the possibility of just putting it in LKO.

On 7/13/2020 at 7:35 AM, eee said:

last time i got mechjeb it crashed my game

Make sure you followed the install instructions correctly. Other than that maybe try an older version or use ckan. If none of this world head over to the technical support modded installs sections of the forums. I have never had this issue because I don't use mechjeb.

Edited by catloaf

On 7/13/2020 at 4:35 PM, eee said:

last time i got mechjeb it crashed my game

I think it is very important to learn how to do interplanetar transfers and not just use an autopilot for it. Autopilots can be useful sometimes, but I believe that they can't replace basic KSP knowledge.

I recommend you to watch a tutorial how to make interplanetar transfers and try to get something from Kerbin in a Duna orbit (and to Duna's surface if you want) because Duna is in my opinion the easiest planet to reach.

On 7/11/2020 at 8:00 AM, catloaf said:

If people who know how to get to Laythe did it themselves it would probably be a lot easier

I think that's a good idea. I could transfer my modules to Laythe (or wathever the destination will be) by myself.

38 minutes ago, s_gamer101 said:

I think it is very important to learn how to do interplanetar transfers and not just use an autopilot for it. Autopilots can be useful sometimes, but I believe that they can't replace basic KSP knowledge.

I recommend you to watch a tutorial how to make interplanetar transfers and try to get something from Kerbin in a Duna orbit (and to Duna's surface if you want) because Duna is in my opinion the easiest planet to reach.

I think that's a good idea. I could transfer my modules to Laythe (or wathever the destination will be) by myself.

Actually Duna is much harder to reach than Eve or Jool. Duna has a much smaller soi so it's harder to get an encounter with. Another advantage of Jool is that transfer windows happen much more frequently.

Yeah agree, Jool is easier. To add to that, you don't have to worry about phase angles since for Jool that is always around 90 degrees. You don't have to hold a protractor up to the screen when planning to go there! :)

The most intimidating thing about interplanetary transfers for me when I was a beginner was that.

56 minutes ago, Aniruddh said:

Yeah agree, Jool is easier. To add to that, you don't have to worry about phase angles since for Jool that is always around 90 degrees. You don't have to hold a protractor up to the screen when planning to go there! :)

The most intimidating thing about interplanetary transfers for me when I was a beginner was that.

Luckily you don't have to do that anymore thanks to maneuver nodes:)

38 minutes ago, catloaf said:

Luckily you don't have to do that anymore thanks to maneuver nodes:)

How do you do that with manuever nodes??? Unless the new maneuver node editor changed it to make it easier. I started ksp in 0.90 so it wasn't that different to today.

2 hours ago, catloaf said:

Actually Duna is much harder to reach than Eve or Jool. Duna has a much smaller soi so it's harder to get an encounter with. Another advantage of Jool is that transfer windows happen much more frequently.

Okay, yes, Jool is actually easier than Duna, but Eve isn't, because of its inclination.

1 hour ago, Aniruddh said:

Yeah agree, Jool is easier. To add to that, you don't have to worry about phase angles since for Jool that is always around 90 degrees. You don't have to hold a protractor up to the screen when planning to go there!

I think there is actually a mod called "protractor" that helps you with the transfer window. I don't use it myself, but a friend told me about it once.

I use Transfer Window Planner together with Kerbal Alarm Clock, this works pretty good. You could also use this: https://ksp.olex.biz/

• 2 months later...

Minmus - very far outside Kerbin SOI, very low gravity, has a nice inclination to it.

Jool is a close second contender, but then you're stuck to doing mostly Joolian missions. Somewhere close to Kerbin (assuming w/o mods like EPL) is best IMO.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.