Orbital Relay Race

Okay okay, 

We've done the SSTO challenges and the races around the world. But how about a staged/relay race? 

How many times can get a single ship around Kerbin, landing back at (or near) KSC after each orbit? 

Just take off in any ship you want, orbit, then land at (or near) KSC. Then do it again in the same ship without refueling, then do it again, and again... maybe again...

Rules: 

This is a single ship challenge, no docking, or switching ships. 

I know lots of people are bad at landing on the runway, don't worry about that. Just land close to KSC, this keeps the distance traveled level for everyone. 

Also, as a nod to those who are landing impaired; no need to come to a stop, touch-and-goes are fine. 

This is NOT an SSTO challenge, stage all you want. 

No Parts mods or physics mods, DLC is fine. 

Videos are always best. If you are doing screenshots, you need to show your fuel and staging in each orbit and at each landing. 

Hall of Fame: 

(1) Amateur Hour

(2) Want a Cookie?

(3) mmmmm mmmhmmmm

(4) Okay, I get it. 

@ralanboyle

(5) Hot Damn

(6) You Have My Attention

(7) I Might Watch Your Whole Video

@camacju

(8) I'm Thoroughly Impressed

Edited by ralanboyle
Edit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

So just to clarify, I interpreted the "landing" rule to mean a full-stop but ralanboyle just did touch-and-gos. So that's OK? Touching one wheel on the grass near KSC at any speed is good enough?

On 7/10/2020 at 8:22 PM, ralanboyle said:

Also, as a nod to those who are landing impaired; no need to come to a stop, touch-and-goes are fine.

• 5 weeks later...

I know I'm a bit late to this challenge, but here's my submission. 7 orbits

https://imgur.com/a/wAWNXAS

I had a plane that could do 4 orbits so I strapped two more planes with slightly more fuel to the wings. I could definitely get 8 or 9 orbits if I added two more side boosters but this is a good proof of concept.

Also: If I were to build a craft that can get the triple plane to orbit N times, then would I be able to have a score of N+7 since the triple plane can orbit 7 times? This will make it way less grindy to add on additional orbits.

@ralanboyle

Edited by camacju

On 9/29/2020 at 5:05 PM, camacju said:

I know I'm a bit late to this challenge, but here's my submission. 7 orbits

https://imgur.com/a/wAWNXAS

I had a plane that could do 4 orbits so I strapped two more planes with slightly more fuel to the wings. I could definitely get 8 or 9 orbits if I added two more side boosters but this is a good proof of concept.

Also: If I were to build a craft that can get the triple plane to orbit N times, then would I be able to have a score of N+7 since the triple plane can orbit 7 times? This will make it way less grindy to add on additional orbits.

@ralanboyle

Great job on 7 orbits! Where did you land on that last orbit? 

Yes, now that you have proven that ship, you can add a mothership to get it to orbit and count the 7 orbits that we already know it can do. Just show that it is full of fuel after separation. 

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.