The Lunex Challenge for KSP 1.10 (Now with badges!)

2 Questions: The description of lunex 1 first class say that I need to land at the KSC, which is understandable for the first mission to get extra challenging. But the other first class descriptions don't have this requirement. So I don't need to land at the KSC every time? I hope so because it would just get tedious while the actual first class extra challenging part comes from some other requirement and I did prove i can land at the runway, I just don't feel like spending al that time on such a small detail because it costed about half of my mission time (I am very proud on myself for pulling it off :)). Also, is the breaking ground DLC allowed?

Edited by minerbat

This is great! Just yesterday I was watching a Lunex vid by space historian Amy Shira Teitel and I thought "let's make a KSP challenge out of it!" To make things extra challenging, the original LUNEX proposal did not mention any parking orbits, instead proposing direct Moon shots. If I'm giving this a go I will attempt to do just that. Which will be interesting in combination with a runway landing.

Amy's video, for those of you interested:

4 minutes ago, vyznev said:

Impressive! That was a very… kerbal landing. :DNice craft, too.

Mun landing or runway landing? which one are you referring to?

I REALLY want to know the answer to my question about landing on the runway because my second craft is on its way back right now.

I don't feel bad. Now that I look at it this post may sound like I am but it was proudness, not upsettiness (yes, upsettiness will be a word from now on :P)

1 hour ago, minerbat said:

It was my first ever runway landing!

Edited by minerbat

5 hours ago, minerbat said:

Trying to find a way to get my base for mission 3 back into the ship... Of course this is what magnetometers where actually intended for :D. Dont know yet if they will be included in the final design though.

That  has to be the most Kerbal thing I've seen in a while. :sticktongue:

8 hours ago, QF9E said:

To make things extra challenging, the original LUNEX proposal did not mention any parking orbits, instead proposing direct Moon shots. If I'm giving this a go I will attempt to do just that. Which will be interesting in combination with a runway landing.

I'm attempting the same thing. Although, I'm not sure if direct ascent means no Lunar/Munar orbital insertion or if it just means there is no orbital rendezvous. The PDF linked by Death Engineering mentions launching on a free return trajectory in case of an abort on the way to the Moon, so I don't see why they wouldn't insert into a Moon orbit before landing. Maybe they could control their landing better that way? I did it in the way you describe though, without any Mun parking-orbits.

Anyways, I recorded my attempt today and I should have it uploaded soon. This was my first time recording and editing a video like this so fingers crossed.

Soon:

Spoiler

plBlpNc.png

Here is my complete Lunex 1 mission report. I used the DLCs, the various Near Future mods, and various visual and utility mods. Full album here

launch and LKO

Spoiler

FdO8gAb.png

bhuw9TT.png

50rDgI2.png

GJoqTz9.png

Munar transfer

Spoiler

yzNJ1VA.png

SigunKa.png

LCmXqWt.png

kwJCqt0.png

Munar landing

Spoiler

EY5FnGO.png

ZjFzxDg.png

6BjZI3m.png

Munar takeoff and return transfer

Spoiler

BfWJb8I.png

K93di1x.png

6ZHF8Su.png

6JL9agi.png

1MRwSl9.png

reentry and landing

Spoiler

cLhlfyi.png

ZJ3rymp.png

JbowdDR.png

LM47Kpe.png

hdX4urR.png

oBtHcC2.png

I completed the second challenge. I did land on the runway just in case but I REALLY want the OP to answer my question about the runway landing. Video will come once I am done editing.

Edited by minerbat

Also, a rocket with this craft on top really likes to flip even with 4 very big fins, anyone any tips to improve that? Because of it I need to do the noob thing of burning straigt up and once above about 60 km turning 90 degrees and burning sideways...

After many failed attempts, here is my Level 1 entry. 

This could be easily improved, such as the ascent but I will work on it. 

This was good fun. Does my landing count as KSC on the of-chance maybe?

Also if anyone does know why I lost pitching up controls please let me know.  

"unstable and slow in the atmosphere, flipping quite often"... Where have I heard that before?... ;)

I am not to decide, but the rules say at the KSC, not the runway specifically. I would count the entire beach the KSC in on as landed at KSC, but again, not my rules.

Edited by minerbat

6 hours ago, minerbat said:

Also, a rocket with this craft on top really likes to flip even with 4 very big fins, anyone any tips to improve that? Because of it I need to do the noob thing of burning straigt up and once above about 60 km turning 90 degrees and burning sideways...

I used a fairing.

12 hours ago, minerbat said:

When bigger fins fails, try EVEN BIGGER FINS!

Spoiler

onvSOjc.png

I've also been disabling control surfaces on the glider during ascent like @MrThomnnus mentioned. I also coast with the first stage until ~25km for the extra stability from the fins in the lower atmosphere before starting up the second stage. The hold prograde SAS helps a lot to keep the angle as low as possible too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.