The Lunex Challenge for KSP 1.10 (Now with badges!)

After doing the Mun Lunex 2, sending a whole base to the mun seemed like a bit of a hassle, so here's my submission for the Duna Lunex 1 FC. I had to change my ship design for this mission because, depite it looking nice, it was the most unstable plane I've ever flown:D.

Something went wrong during recording and I don't have the part of the video when I do my Duna capture burn and the satellite deployment. Is it ok if the video doesn't include those parts? I do have footage of the satellite getting into its final orbit.

5 hours ago, minerbat said:

Something went wrong during recording and I don't have the part of the video when I do my Duna capture burn and the satellite deployment. Is it ok if the video doesn't include those parts? I do have footage of the satellite getting into its final orbit.

I feel you @minerbat. I am missing several key sequences in my captures of my Dunex 1 FC attempt. I deduced, after I discovered the gaps in filming, that I had Bethesda's game client popping up notifications that stopped the video from being captured. Of course this was AFTER I made a beautiful landing at KSC! It sort of broke me. I am working up the gumption to try it all over again, or maybe just try to recreate footage......

@minerbat losing some of your footage is a certified bruh moment. It happens to everyone unfortunately, for example I didn't record my launch from Ike and only noticed after completing the mission, so I had to re-do the whole thing. On another topic, here's my Duna Lunex 2 FC which is actually smaller than my Duna Lunex 1 because I aerocaptured at Duna.

a crazy lunex also needs a crazy rover...

20200915200209-1.jpg

Here are a few images you can choose from for duna lunex 2. I hope there is something you can use but it was pretty difficult as this mission does not use a "traditional" lunex craft. I do plan on using a normal lunex with the lunex 3 so maybe I can make some generic pictures when doing that one if you decide not to use any of these.

Spoiler

20200915183211-1.jpg

20200915183435-1.jpg

20200915200622-1.jpg

@KingDominoIII What is the criteria for "returns to Kerbin horizontally?" I'm designing craft for a JNSQ entry, and reentry from the Mun in JNSQ is very hard without an ablative heat shield. In other words, can I attach an inflatible heat shield to the back of my craft, reenter retrograde, shed it, and land as a glider?

15 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

@KingDominoIII What is the criteria for "returns to Kerbin horizontally?" I'm designing craft for a JNSQ entry, and reentry from the Mun in JNSQ is very hard without an ablative heat shield. In other words, can I attach an inflatible heat shield to the back of my craft, reenter retrograde, shed it, and land as a glider?

It must land horizontally, but you can reenter however you like. I would advise you, however, that it is going to be extremely hard to flip around, assuming you mean to land forwards. Fairings have a heat tolerance of 2600K IIRC so you might want to consider trying one. 

5 hours ago, KingDominoIII said:

It must land horizontally, but you can reenter however you like. I would advise you, however, that it is going to be extremely hard to flip around, assuming you mean to land forwards. Fairings have a heat tolerance of 2600K IIRC so you might want to consider trying one. 

That’s not going to be enough for JNSQ. Temperatures are more like 3.5k. Thanks for the advice and clarification, though! I think I’ll design it to slow down by 40 kilometers or so, then use rcs to flip around into a gliding position.

Lunex Habitation Mission:

Had a lot of fun with this, assembling a habitat with a rover and ISRU solely with DLC robotics, and all in a single launch.  Also demonstrates refueling of the Lunex Lander on the Mun.  The design could easily have landed at the south pole as proposed for the Artemis mission (for mining water for fuel).  The habitat is not realistic for long term habitation due to crew radiation exposure -  the original Lunex program proposed an underground habitation which isn't possible to simulate accurately in KSP.  (or is it? ... idea for future mission?).

Duna Lunex 3 Pilot:

More awesome fun.  Used the hardware as the previous Mun Habitation Mission, adding a second rover and heat shields for aerobraking at Duna and Kerbin, and relay satellites.  The mission includes two launches - the first autonomously lands a habitat on Duna along with setting up a reliable communication network, and a second launch of a USAF Lunex style shuttle craft with a crew of three, landing at the habitat and returning to Kerbin, landing at the Kerbin Space Centre.

Edited by jinnantonix

On 9/5/2020 at 1:58 PM, Wojjy said:

After doing the Mun Lunex 2, sending a whole base to the mun seemed like a bit of a hassle, so here's my submission for the Duna Lunex 1 FC. I had to change my ship design for this mission because, depite it looking nice, it was the most unstable plane I've ever flown:D.

<snip>

Congrats on completing Duna Lunex 1 First Class, @Wojjy!

On 9/6/2020 at 6:10 AM, minerbat said:

<snip>

Lunex 5!

Congrats on completing Duna Lunex 1 First Class, @minerbat!

On 9/6/2020 at 8:56 AM, Wojjy said:

@minerbat losing some of your footage is a certified bruh moment. It happens to everyone unfortunately, for example I didn't record my launch from Ike and only noticed after completing the mission, so I had to re-do the whole thing. On another topic, here's my Duna Lunex 2 FC which is actually smaller than my Duna Lunex 1 because I aerocaptured at Duna.

<snip>

Congrats on completing Duna Lunex 2 First Class, @Wojjy!

On 9/12/2020 at 7:15 PM, sturmhauke said:

Here's a video of my Lunex 2 mission:

<snip>

Congrats on completing Lunex 2 First Class, @sturmhauke!

On 9/14/2020 at 8:51 AM, jinnantonix said:

Excellent challenge, awesome fun.  Just to spice it up, I have done the challenge in one shot, with no saves.

Lunex 1 (in hard mode)

Congrats on completing Lunex 1 First Class, @jinnantonix

On 9/27/2020 at 10:00 AM, jinnantonix said:

Lunex Habitation Mission:

Had a lot of fun with this, assembling a habitat with a rover and ISRU solely with DLC robotics, and all in a single launch.  Also demonstrates refueling of the Lunex Lander on the Mun.  The design could easily have landed at the south pole as proposed for the Artemis mission (for mining water for fuel).  The habitat is not realistic for long term habitation due to crew radiation exposure -  the original Lunex program proposed an underground habitation which isn't possible to simulate accurately in KSP.  (or is it? ... idea for future mission?).
<snip>

Congrats on completing Lunex 2 First Class, Lunex 3, and Lunex 4, @jinnantonix! I can't tell if Lunex 4 qualifies for First Class; can you send a screenshot with the inclination to me?

On 10/1/2020 at 4:37 AM, jinnantonix said:

Duna Lunex 3 Pilot, First Class:

More awesome fun.  Used the hardware as the previous Mun Habitation Mission, adding a second rover and heat shields for aerobraking at Duna and Kerbin, and relay satellites.  The mission includes two launches - the first autonomously lands a habitat on Duna along with setting up a reliable communication network, and a second launch of a USAF Lunex style shuttle craft with a crew of three, landing at the habitat and returning to Kerbin, landing at the Kerbin Space Centre.

<snip>

Congrats on completing Duna Lunex 2 First Class and Lunex 3, @jinnantonix! While it is a very cool base, it doesn't quite qualify for Lunex 3 First Class- you need another pressurized rover, room for 2 more kerbals, and I'm pretty sure more relays- I don't see one. 

On 9/15/2020 at 2:18 PM, Clamp-o-Tron said:

I'm designing craft for a JNSQ entry, and reentry from the Mun in JNSQ is very hard without an ablative heat shield.

I'm a bit late to the party, but I managed to do a return from the Moon (RSS) without heating problems.  The solution is to have a higher angle of attack (AoA) and do multiple passes.  The Trajectories mod can help you with landing at specific locations.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.