The Lunex Challenge for KSP 1.10 (Now with badges!)

6 hours ago, KingDominoIII said:

Congrats on completing Lunex 2 First Class, Lunex 3, and Lunex 4, @jinnantonix! I can't tell if Lunex 4 qualifies for First Class; can you send a screenshot with the inclination to me?

The Mun landing was on flat ground, and not at a 60deg inclination, so not "First Class".

Spoiler

Congrats on completing Duna Lunex 2 First Class and Lunex 3, @jinnantonix! While it is a very cool base, it doesn't quite qualify for Lunex 3 First Class- you need another pressurized rover, room for 2 more kerbals, and I'm pretty sure more relays- I don't see one. 

The video shows there are three relay satellites deployed, one large and two small providing a continuous positive uplink from Duna to Kerbin. Did I misunderstand something about this requirement?

I didn't spot the stated requirement for 2 x pressurised rovers in the OP (how did I miss that?).  So again, not "First Class".  

The base is still under development, there are a few aspects that could be improved, so I might have another go at the First Class in a future mission. 

I enjoyed this challenge immensely, thanks for running it.  I will probably have a go at the Jool and Eeloo versions when they are set.

So, the JNSQ install I was going to do this on crapped out, so here's a stock entry for Lunex 1 First Class:

https://ibb.co/album/7d972H

(sorry for obscure image-sharing site, I don't do imgur)

Sorry, I lost the screenshots of the landing sequence, but you'll have to trust that I did all but the last 100 m/s with the transfer stage before landing on the dual terriers.

Stock parts, with only KER used during the challenge.

About the craft: it's basically a massive Saturn V core with wings to keep the aerodynamic center low.

A Rhino engine powers the transfer stage, it has ~3 km/s to work with. You can't see in any of the pics, but there are nine flea SRBs hidden under a fairing if a launch abort is needed. Those airbrakes are for stability during such an abort. 

The base has monoprop for RCS during descent, the fuel for descent, several solar arrays, and a probe core, making it suitable for a habitation module for Lunex 3/4, and has sufficient space to deliver a small rover for Lunex 2. It was left behind for ascent.

There's no need to aerobrake with this craft, it can just enter facing radial out.

Jet engines on the wings can provide significant range, as I needed when I overshot KSC by 200 km. If you run out of fuel, though, it glides very well, and doesn't stall until about 40 m/s.

On 10/2/2020 at 6:22 PM, jinnantonix said:

The Mun landing was on flat ground, and not at a 60deg inclination, so not "First Class".

Hide contents

Congrats on completing Duna Lunex 2 First Class and Lunex 3, @jinnantonix! While it is a very cool base, it doesn't quite qualify for Lunex 3 First Class- you need another pressurized rover, room for 2 more kerbals, and I'm pretty sure more relays- I don't see one. 

The video shows there are three relay satellites deployed, one large and two small providing a continuous positive uplink from Duna to Kerbin. Did I misunderstand something about this requirement?

I didn't spot the stated requirement for 2 x pressurised rovers in the OP (how did I miss that?).  So again, not "First Class".  

The base is still under development, there are a few aspects that could be improved, so I might have another go at the First Class in a future mission. 

I enjoyed this challenge immensely, thanks for running it.  I will probably have a go at the Jool and Eeloo versions when they are set.

Inclination refers to the position on the Mun- so a 60 degree inclination would be a bit more than halfway to a polar orbit.

I was unclear about my requirements for Duna Lunex 3- in the book The Martian (hence the title of the challenge), Ares has 3 redundant relay dishes, but they all depend on the MAV, which is a major plot point. I would have given it to you if you had the rovers. If you do a first class run, though, you will need to follow the corrected requirements. 

The Jool and Eeloo challenges should be up soon! 

On 10/3/2020 at 12:54 AM, Clamp-o-Tron said:

<snip>

Congrats on completing Lunex 1 First Class, @Clamp-o-Tron! Feel free to collect your badge!

Too bad that JNSQ didn't work for you; modded scale entries are always very cool to see. 

• 2 weeks later...

This was a nice challenge. Nuclear powered Lunex orbiter - landing is done under the orbiter's power, that's what the belly mounted fuel tank is for.

I believe this counts for Lunex 1 first class (landing at KSC runway) and Lunex 2 first class (pressurized rover). The decoupler on the rover is strategically mounted so the rover is dropped onto its wheels.

This craft can easily deliver 4-5 tons to the Mun, in two modules mounted on the top and bottom of the orbiter. Not sure how I'd bring them back to Kerbin like this unless I changed the design.

https://imgur.com/a/5HdhOLG

Not totally sure whether this counts, since the landing bit at the end is a little unorthodox.  Other than touching down, it flies like a normal spaceplane though.

Spoiler

On the pad.

kHt3XrT.jpg

Blastoff!

ktceBrG.jpg

Booster detatchment:

sTIHGQK.jpg

Blasting into orbit on three Rhinos:

ar6SKHp.jpg

Orbit with just enough dV to do the mission!

5K7qwSJ.jpg

Booster recovery:

Hfk8w0L.jpg

Burn for Mun:

P621Ni5.jpg

[Fast Forward] Beginning suicide landing burn:

x8ElAyh.jpg

Here's a classic SpaceX shot:

WOP5sz5.jpg

17 kerbals on the Mun!

4AYyFqg.jpg

Time to go home!

M2TtRaK.jpg

Reentry:

eX6GJHF.jpg

Here comes the probably illegal landing.  It's vertical although the Starship flies horizontally.

Spoiler

EshPULm.jpg

vHhQAvx.jpg

UyQsj6W.jpg

6aDwD9a.jpg

Landed!

RoRdjbN.jpg

Ok. For some bizarre reason when I wanted to make non nuclear Mun Shuttle mission, I stumbled upon this thread xD

fP8Rj6n.jpg

And I took on a spin totally overkill machine. It is iteration on mine original STS challenge vehicle. Shuttle itself clocks more than 120t fueled without cargo and have 4 dual Rapier / Panther Engines for powered atmospheric flight with ability too boost itself from gravity wells on Rapiers as well as 4 Torch engines for orbital maneuvers. Munar Decent Trunk ( MDT ) carry large refinery with semi hollow design fitting 3 drills,  numerous radiators, 2 large fuel cells and extra fuel tank for decent.

qNJQX3k.jpg

Mods used:

Tweakscale - 2 wing segments, a bit of upscale on jets for visuals and doubled in size RCS ports to lower number of details to 20 from 60+.

Restock+

Near Future Solar 

Near Future Launch Vehicles (tanks only)

B9 part Switch

SimpleFuelSwitch

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

Kerbal Reusability Expansion (Trunk Legs)

tyAcWmc.jpg

Since this STS is total overkill I went full on carrying all first 3 Lunex missions objectives. Bringing only rover was too boring xD.

Lunch vehicle gave me enough bump to almost reach Mun, where I captured using MDT and then landed on Mun near Arch. MDT started refueling process and I deployed  Mun base stack from cargo bay and "sky-craned" rover and base itself to the side under power of base monoprop engines.

After all typical jazz on the Mun I have launched base to LMO with very tight fuel margin. Shuttle followed next under power of  Rapier engines and finished circulation and all rendezvous maneuvers under power of Torch engines.

Then I docked with base through back port and transferred some monoprop to dock it inside cargo bay. Kerbin return burn. Aero capture. Landing on second orbit. Run out of fuel just before runway xD.

Full report:

https://imgur.com/a/qKXlTbG

YaD8Fmt.jpg

Edited by Yakez

I am loving this challenge so much, I decided to have another go at the Duna challenge.  Below is my Duna Lunex 1 Pilot, First Class entry.  It occurred to me that since Lunex was developed for for a Moon/Mun mission, the cramped confines of the shuttle craft would only be adequate to sustain the astronauts for a few days.  However a longer mission to Mars/Duna would be intolerable, so more space and more supplies would be needed.  I also think creating spin gravity would assist (and would also be very cool).  So I redesigned my craft and the mission to suit.  

Edited by jinnantonix

On 11/10/2020 at 8:08 PM, jinnantonix said:

I also think creating spin gravity would assist (and would also be very cool).  So I redesigned my craft and the mission to suit.  

Great video (as always!) and very cool gravity effect solution. Was there ever something like that talked about in the real Lunex?

On 11/16/2020 at 6:57 AM, Death Engineering said:

Great video (as always!) and very cool gravity effect solution. Was there ever something like that talked about in the real Lunex?

The original Lunex Program was only to the moon and back.  No need for spin gravity.  But if they had decided to go to Mars, I am sure it would have been considered.

Here is another entry, this time I reprised my Duna Lunex 3 Pilot, First Class entry, getting the rules right this time. (I hope).

Hi there!  I haven't played KSP in well over a year.  My last mission will certainly be familiar to @Death Engineering (Hi, good to see you!), but given I used to be quite the shuttle designer this challenge thread really peaked my interest, and drove me to press "Play KSP" once again after a long, long break.

Here's my mission report thread with Lunex 1 and 2 completed:

And a little teaser photo:

1XA7AXS.png

I'll certainly be back, but don't be surprised if its in a few years time :D

SM

• 2 weeks later...

is this challenge dead? or has the forum glitched out and people can't see my video? or is youtube glitched out? because it is already almost a week since i uploaded it to this forum and youtube says no one from this site has seen the video yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.