The Lunex Challenge for KSP 1.10 (Now with badges!)

Here's my entry for LUNEX-1:

This is my very first video ever for which I did a voice-over; I think it's kind of cringey but I figured I'll never learn to do a proper one if I don't just try it, so there you have it.

I did this without parking orbits of any kind. So a direct munshot, direct landing (well, technically I entered Munar orbit momentarily during my braking burn) and direct ascent back to Kerbin, with a landing on the KSC runway. Landing on the runway took a few attempts to get the timing right, as the maneuver node planner is useless if your ship is on the surface.

I also took some inspiration from the LUNEX proposal linked earlier in the thread: it mentions that a liquid-fueled booster will be developed, but that a solid rocket is acceptable as a substitute. So my launch vehicle simply consisted of a Clydesdale booster, with a Kerbin departure stage and lander on top, As you can see from the thumbnail, my re-entry vehicle was inspired by another USAF project, the X-20 Dyna-Soar.

This is almost fully stock. I have both DLCs but only used Making History for this craft (specifically, the Clydesdale). I also used the suicide burn timer from Kerbal Engineer Redux for the landing. As you can see I have various "cheat" mods like Hyperedit and Vessel Mover installed, but I only used those during testing, not during the actual mission.

Edited by QF9E

On 8/14/2020 at 6:47 AM, minerbat said:

Done!

Congrats on completing Mun Lunex 1, First Class, @minerbat!

On 8/14/2020 at 7:16 AM, minerbat said:

2 Questions: The description of lunex 1 first class say that I need to land at the KSC, which is understandable for the first mission to get extra challenging. But the other first class descriptions don't have this requirement. So I don't need to land at the KSC every time? I hope so because it would just get tedious while the actual first class extra challenging part comes from some other requirement and I did prove i can land at the runway, I just don't feel like spending al that time on such a small detail because it costed about half of my mission time (I am very proud on myself for pulling it off :)). Also, is the breaking ground DLC allowed?

You don't have to land on the runway every time, no, but keep in mind that it is a lot easier to land a craft with wheels on the runway than pretty much anywhere on Kerbin.

All DLC is allowed.

On 8/15/2020 at 4:14 AM, xub313 said:

Here's my entry for Lunex 1 with a landing at the KSC.

This is a really fun challenge. Now on to part 2!

Congrats on completing Mun Lunex 1, First Class, @xub313

On 8/15/2020 at 7:11 AM, sturmhauke said:

Here is my complete Lunex 1 mission report. I used the DLCs, the various Near Future mods, and various visual and utility mods. Full album here

launch and LKO

Reveal hidden contents

FdO8gAb.png

bhuw9TT.png

50rDgI2.png

GJoqTz9.png

Munar transfer

Reveal hidden contents

yzNJ1VA.png

SigunKa.png

LCmXqWt.png

kwJCqt0.png

Munar landing

Reveal hidden contents

EY5FnGO.png

ZjFzxDg.png

6BjZI3m.png

Munar takeoff and return transfer

Reveal hidden contents

BfWJb8I.png

K93di1x.png

6ZHF8Su.png

6JL9agi.png

1MRwSl9.png

reentry and landing

Reveal hidden contents

cLhlfyi.png

ZJ3rymp.png

JbowdDR.png

LM47Kpe.png

hdX4urR.png

oBtHcC2.png

Congrats on completing Mun Lunex 1, First Class, @sturmhauke!

20 hours ago, MrThomnnus said:

After many failed attempts, here is my Level 1 entry. 

This could be easily improved, such as the ascent but I will work on it. 

This was good fun. Does my landing count as KSC on the of-chance maybe?

Also if anyone does know why I lost pitching up controls please let me know.  

Congrats on completing Mun Lunex 1, @MrThomnnus! As you landed on KSP grounds, I'll count it as First Class.

19 hours ago, minerbat said:

My second mission ^^^
I did land on the runway just to be safe but I still really, REALLY want to know the answer to my runway question, please OP.

Congrats on completing Mun Lunex 2, First Class, @minerbat! That deployment mechanism is really neat. Sorry for the radio silence, I've been out of town and didn't expect the challenge to blow up like it did. 

19 hours ago, catloaf said:

Quick question, is using trajectories okay for mission 1 first class. I assume it is but makes the entry modded.

@catloaf Only parts mods make a mission modded for the purposes of this challenge. Totally allowed. 

1 hour ago, QF9E said:

Here's my entry for LUNEX-1:

This is my very first video ever for which I did a voice-over; I think it's kind of cringey but I figured I'll never learn to do a proper one if I don't just try it, so there you have it.

I did this without parking orbits of any kind. So a direct munshot, direct landing (well, technically I entered Munar orbit momentarily during my braking burn) and direct ascent back to Kerbin, with a landing on the KSC runway. Landing on the runway took a few attempts to get the timing right, as the maneuver node planner is useless if your ship is on the surface.

I also took some inspiration from the LUNEX proposal linked earlier in the thread: it mentions that a liquid-fueled booster will be developed, but that a solid rocket is acceptable as a substitute. So my launch vehicle simply consisted of a Clydesdale booster, with a Kerbin departure stage and lander on top, As you can see from the thumbnail, my re-entry vehicle was inspired by another USAF project, the X-20 Dyna-Soar.

This is almost fully stock. I have both DLCs but only used Making History for this craft (specifically, the Clydesdale). I also used the suicide burn timer from Kerbal Engineer Redux for the landing. As you can see I have various "cheat" mods like Hyperedit and Vessel Mover installed, but I only used those during testing, not during the actual mission.

Congrats on completing Mun Lunex 1, First Class, @QF9E! Great accuracy to the original mission. 

Edited by KingDominoIII

My LUNEX-2 mission:

I flew exactly the same profile as LUNEX-1, and I landed just a few hundred meters from LUNEX-1 on the Mun. I used exactly the same rocket, with one difference: I moved the lander stage engines to the sides to make room for cargo between them. Despite a few tons of extra payload in the form of a pressurized rover, fuel loadout was exactly the same, as I had quite a lot of fuel reserves on LUNEX-1.

I agree with @s_gamer101 on optionally combining the LUNEX-1 and -2 missions (perhaps like the STS-1a and -1b missions in the Shuttle Challenge?). These missions are very much the same. This is also why I did not feel inspired to do commentary on my LUNEX-2 video, as I felt I had said everything that needed to be said about the mission already..

This challenge is very interesting going to definitely do this! Now to the VAB!!!

Edit: I got a spacecraft! Going to have a hard time landing at Runway. Might do multiple passes to get to LKO then land then...

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, s_gamer101 said:

@KingDominoIII I have a question: Is it allowed to combine multiple Missions like Mun Lunex 1 and Mun Lunex 2 as an example? Because Mun Lunex 2 is basically Mun Lunex 1 with a rover.

I'm considering it now after QF9E's post.

4 hours ago, QF9E said:

My LUNEX-2 mission:

I flew exactly the same profile as LUNEX-1, and I landed just a few hundred meters from LUNEX-1 on the Mun. I used exactly the same rocket, with one difference: I moved the lander stage engines to the sides to make room for cargo between them. Despite a few tons of extra payload in the form of a pressurized rover, fuel loadout was exactly the same, as I had quite a lot of fuel reserves on LUNEX-1.

I agree with @s_gamer101 on optionally combining the LUNEX-1 and -2 missions (perhaps like the STS-1a and -1b missions in the Shuttle Challenge?). These missions are very much the same. This is also why I did not feel inspired to do commentary on my LUNEX-2 video, as I felt I had said everything that needed to be said about the mission already..

Alright, recorded. I would change it, but unfortunately I didn't make the badges and don't wanna bug Sturmhauke about it. I'll make it so they can be completed at one though. Congrats on completing Mun Lunex 2 First Class, @QF9E.

3 hours ago, catloaf said:

Here's my entry for lunex 1:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kgpQe56csyEdn8AEwhyQCI7sSfdAxQ6O/view?usp=sharing

sorry for the bad editing.

Congrats on completing Mun Lunex 1 First Class, @catloaf!

Edited by KingDominoIII

I completed lunex 3 first class, getting the base back in the ship was a real pain because the breaking ground hinges and servos appear to glitch out after a while and it did not fit. Just like 1 and 2, I will upload the video when I have edited it. I also visited a special "touristic attraction" on the Mun... :)

Edited by minerbat

@KingDominoIII Question about the third Mun mission: must the base be returned to Kerbin with the re-entry vehicle, or can you fly it back on its own? I've built this thing:

BFmhzVG.png

which is about 2 tons, like my rover from LUNEX-2, so it should be trivial to get it to the Mun on my existing LUNEX craft. And it can fly back on its own, re-enter and land. But my question is: is this what you had in mind?

46 minutes ago, minerbat said:

I completed lunex 3 first class, getting the base back in the ship was a real pain because the breaking ground hinges and servos appear to glitch out after a while and it did not fit. Just like 1 and 2, I will upload the video when I have edited it. I also visited a special "touristic attraction" on the Mun... :)

Please tell me you joined me in the "I landed on top of the Neil Armstrong Memorial" club! :) Click on my KSP Apollo badge for details.

2 hours ago, QF9E said:

@KingDominoIII Question about the third Mun mission: must the base be returned to Kerbin with the re-entry vehicle, or can you fly it back on its own? I've built this thing:

BFmhzVG.png

which is about 2 tons, like my rover from LUNEX-2, so it should be trivial to get it to the Mun on my existing LUNEX craft. And it can fly back on its own, re-enter and land. But my question is: is this what you had in mind?

Please tell me you joined me in the "I landed on top of the Neil Armstrong Memorial" club! :) Click on my KSP Apollo badge for details.

I think returning the base on its own is a fun way of completing the challenge! Go ahead dude. 

2 hours ago, QF9E said:

I didn't land on top of it but next to it, my craft is a little too big for that. But the appollo memorial is an extra special location for me because my first madden mun mission landed very close without me knowing it was there, they brought a small unmanned rover with them so when they were gone and I was driving my rover around I saw a few weird gray pixels in the distance, kind of the same as when you look at minmus from kerbin. So i drived my rover over there and found the memorial. Quite a small change of landing just a few km away from it so I was lucky. I always wanted to visit it with kerbals so that is what I did! I also think it was wat my first forum post was about

Here's my entry for Lunex 2 first class. 

Hopefully that cargo elevator will be useful for the next few missions so I can reuse the same craft. This was my first time using the Breaking Ground robotic parts too. It was a lot of fun! :)

1 hour ago, Death Engineering said:

Very good video!  Was that Race into Space audio?  

Yes! I dunno why but I love that game to death, even if a lot of it just boils down to watching the computer roll dice. My craft is called the XMS-2, which is the same as the US minishuttle craft in Race into Space. I really liked the challenge of getting a Moon landing with it in that game.

5 hours ago, xub313 said:

Here's my entry for Lunex 2 first class. 

Hopefully that cargo elevator will be useful for the next few missions so I can reuse the same craft. This was my first time using the Breaking Ground robotic parts too. It was a lot of fun! :)

Yes! I dunno why but I love that game to death, even if a lot of it just boils down to watching the computer roll dice. My craft is called the XMS-2, which is the same as the US minishuttle craft in Race into Space. I really liked the challenge of getting a Moon landing with it in that game.

Congrats on completing Mun Lunex 2, First Class, @xub313! Love the deployment mechanism.

4 hours ago, catloaf said:

Quick question for lunex 2, do I have to recover the rover in the plane, or can I land it separately.

The rover doesn't have to be recovered in Lunex 2. 

Well, looks like I did this today without even knowing it! I have a little 3-Kerbal glider designed to land on a single unicycle wheel.

https://imgur.com/a/oVBPgxh

https://kerbalx.com/cubinator/Mini-Plane

oI7072Y.jpg

I didn't quite glide all the way to the surface, but with a little careful flying you could get it down with enough speed.

QtfjmCF.jpg

Edited by cubinator

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.