Does anyone know how to open and edit a DDS texture file?

I have always been wanting to edit the texture of the Rockomax X200-16 FuelTank, like what I post before: 

Recently, I have discovered that one could edit the texture in the part file, which is named after DDS, but I have no idea how to open it.

Can anyone suggest me some apps that could do the job?

I have (as default image viewer) "Xnview" ( https://www.xnview.com/en/ ) and it is quite capable to open/view DDS files.

You can also use it to convert them to a more user-friendly PNG files, to easy work them in any graphic editing software.

Once done, you can simply leave your new texture as PNG and import it in the KSP folder (obviously, removing the original DDS to be sure that your edited image will be loaded) or (... probably... not totally sure of it...) use again XnView to rename/convert it back to DDS format.

I'm not totally sure about the last passage because, in reality, I use XnView just as "viewer", to check out DDS, because I have Photoshop and its plugin capable to handle DDS and normals (so I directly edit the original format without the PNG conversion passage), but knowing that Photoshop could be a problem (with its money cost), the PNG conversion could be handy if you are using a simple, free image editing software uncapable to use DDS.

Edited by Araym

20 minutes ago, Araym said:

I have (as default image viewer) "Xnview" ( https://www.xnview.com/en/ ) and it is quite capable to open/view DDS files.

You can also use it to convert them to a more user-friendly PNG files, to easy work them in any graphic editing software.

Once done, you can simply leave your new texture as PNG and import it in the KSP folder (obviously, removing the original DDS to be sure that your edited image will be loaded) or (... probably... not totally sure of it...) use again XnView to rename/convert it back to DDS format.

I'm not totally sure about the last passage because, in reality, I use XnView just as "viewer", to check out DDS, because I have Photoshop and its plugin capable to handle DDS and normals (so I directly edit the original format without the PNG conversion passage), but knowing that Photoshop could be a problem (with its money cost), the PNG conversion could be handy if you are using a simple, free image editing software uncapable to use DDS.

"Xnview"

What, you need to buy it?

I guess I will convert them to PNG instead.

2 minutes ago, RandomKerbal said:

"Xnview"

What, you need to buy it?

I guess I will convert them to PNG instead.

The latest time I downloaded it was for free...
... dunno if by the time it was changed (my "old" version still works wonderfully :P )

But as suggested, GIMP could also do the same, doubling as being already a image editor software, once you upgrade it with the proper plug-in to handle DDS

• 2 weeks later...