[1.12.x] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

Damon

9crVhKV.png

Download from SpaceDock or Github

Tired of throwing away your rocket every time you launch? Look no further! This collection of parts will help you build reusable rockets, SpaceX-style. @EmbersArc created this wonderful mod but due to busy times had a hard time maintaining this mod. I am honored to continue this legacy in its current state and making sure to keep this mod we all know and love up-to-date!

Includes:

• Falcon 9 Landing Legs in three different sizes.
  • New Glenn Landing Legs in two different sizes.
  • ITS Landing Legs in two different sizes.
  • New Shepard Landing Legs in two different sizes.
  • Grid Fins for control and additional drag on descent.
  • Deployable Wings to fly back stages.
  • SuperDraco Engines to land your capsules and provide in-flight abort capability
  • Fuel Tank with ladder extension
  • Heat Shield with integrated shroud, decoupler and deployable landing gear
  • Docking Port compatible with stock docking ports

Recommended mods:

Compatible with:

Installation:

Move the "KerbalReusabilityExpansion" folder to KerbalSpaceProgram/GameData/ and you're good to go.
With CKAN CLI:  ckan.exe install SpaceXLegs

License:

MIT License

How to:

Special thanks to:

• @EmbersArc for making this wonderful mod! Without it I think we would still be in an age were reusability on rockets doesn't exists!
  • @nli2work for making the legs work initially for 1.1. The setup has since been redone but it would have been much harder without that help.
  • @DerpyFirework for contributing the "DeployableAeroSurfaces" plug-in for the grid fins. It is in the public domain and the source code can be found here.

Changelog:

Spoiler

Version 2.9.3
- Falcon legs stop jiggling while landed

Version 2.9.2
- Increased crash tolerance on grid fins
- Updated to 1.12.x

Version 2.9.0
- Added Mk2 leg version of the Falcon Legs

Version 2.8.6:
- Updated to the latest KSP versions
- Fixed bounciness on Falcon legs
- Added .version file

Version 2.8.5:
- Add license.

Version 2.8.4:
- Fix Falcon Leg suspension for 1.4.4

Good luck landing stages!

Edited by Damon
2.9.3 release

2 hours ago, DownHereInChile said:

How do I activate the FAR config?

It was patched for the old old FAR. I have to look into whether or not it works with the continued FAR mod. 

6 hours ago, alberro+ said:

Great to see this mod get revived in a way. Just as a little suggestion, it'd be cool to see a sooty version of the Falcon legs.

Not planning that any time soon.

9 hours ago, DownHereInChile said:

It didn't seem to be, hence my question. Thought maybe I had to add/delete/edit files. I hope this works!

I will dig into this, if I find something I will make sure it works again!

• 2 weeks later...

@damonvv A humble suggestion: move the giant Super Heavy grid fins from your Tundra mod to KRE. TE requires this mod anyway, and it would be useful to have some 5m sized grid fins without having to install that whole mod (as awesome as it is). Though (IIRC) the TE Starship is 5.6m diameter, so you could include an extra part variant to allow them to fit properly with 5m parts too.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

1 minute ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@damonvv A humble suggestion: move the giant Super Heavy grid fins from your Tundra mod to KRE. TE requires this mod anyway, and it would be useful to have some 5m sized grid fins without having to install that whole mod (as awesome as it is). Though (IIRC) the TE Starship is 5.6m diameter, so you might have to include an extra part variant to allow them to fit properly with 5m parts too.

Not a bad idea at all. I will think about it! If I do this, I need to remodel the grid fin slightly so it fits more with this mod (aka higher standards).

On 7/11/2020 at 10:04 PM, EmbersArc said:

Thanks @damonvv for keeping KRE alive and thanks everyone for their support over the years. It's not easy to say goodbye, but it's good to see that KRE is in good hands. Looking forward to many great additions and improvements!

Embers, you made on of the most amazing mods, thank you!I hope the best!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rhZhao said:

Is there anyway that can make it to support RO?  It seems like the grid fin is reason that always makes my rocket spins ridiculously  in the entry. 

You might be putting the grid fins on upside down. They should fold down when retracted, not up.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Atlessa said:

Can we please get a variant of the Cold Gas thrusters that actually uses cold gas? ('Monopropellant' in KSP)  Maybe as a patch file?

A MM patch could work with the use of B9PS. But I won't make B9PS be a requirement, just optional if you want to switch fuel types

Edited by damonvv