[1.12.x] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

Damon

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if i'm doing something wrong, but I can not do anything with the Glenn Leg mount. I can't attach anything to it?

Edit: Also noticed this with the deployable wing base and wing

Edited by physius

Hello,

first of all thanks for this great mod! :)

One of the reasons I use it is because it adds more options (in function and in looks) for landing gears. But sadly the Falcon Gear become totally unusable at a certain point (vehicle mass).
I'm currently trying make a rocket for the mining missions (bring x ore to kerbin), so we're talking at around 100t landing mass. The Falcon Gears explode directly when touching the ground (back on kerbin). Even with a real slow touchdown speed of 1.4 m/s (Ship Lander from HyperEdit) they directly explode. They even explode directly on the launch pad when the vehicle is in full wet-mass (158t)!
The "Crash Log" even says "collided with terrain" for the Falcon Gears as first fault. (And "colliding with terrain" is somewhat the very purpose of landing gears ...)

BUT: When I use LT37 gears that does not happen! Even in the unrealistic case with the full wet-mass. The only thing which happens there is when the gear is not low enough so the rocket engine collide with the ground ... but the LT's never explode because they "collided with terrain".
Is it possible to make the Falcon Gears somehow "stronger"? As strong as their LT37 counterpart?

Thanks,
Fragtality

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 4:38 PM, Fragtality said:

Hello,

first of all thanks for this great mod! :)

One of the reasons I use it is because it adds more options (in function and in looks) for landing gears. But sadly the Falcon Gear become totally unusable at a certain point (vehicle mass).
I'm currently trying make a rocket for the mining missions (bring x ore to kerbin), so we're talking at around 100t landing mass. The Falcon Gears explode directly when touching the ground (back on kerbin). Even with a real slow touchdown speed of 1.4 m/s (Ship Lander from HyperEdit) they directly explode. They even explode directly on the launch pad when the vehicle is in full wet-mass (158t)!
The "Crash Log" even says "collided with terrain" for the Falcon Gears as first fault. (And "colliding with terrain" is somewhat the very purpose of landing gears ...)

BUT: When I use LT37 gears that does not happen! Even in the unrealistic case with the full wet-mass. The only thing which happens there is when the gear is not low enough so the rocket engine collide with the ground ... but the LT's never explode because they "collided with terrain".
Is it possible to make the Falcon Gears somehow "stronger"? As strong as their LT37 counterpart?

Thanks,
Fragtality

Comrade, I ran into the same problems as you.

First, sorry for my English.

Second, the solution is:
- Go to the settings in the main menu, check the item "advanced detail settings". (If you haven't already done so)
- While building in VAB, right-click on the falcon's legs, change the "spring/damper" settings.
- Try setting them to different values, my legs stop exploding when the spring is set to 0 and the damper to 0.2.

9 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I've been able to get rid of shaking like that by increasing the spring strength.

Just the spring, or the damper too?

I'm also finding on landings, it'll land flat, and then the rocket will just flop to one side and fall over. I've tried spring and damper at full, and about halfway, same results. 

14 minutes ago, sdlafferty said:

Just the spring, or the damper too?

It's been awhile but I'm fairly certain it was just the springs.

If I remember to do it before landing, I never get the shaking.  If I do it after landing, it seems to go away right when I move the slider.  I don't crank it up all the way, roughly 2/3rds of the way, but that'll probably depend on how many you have and how massive the craft is.  I typically land 2.5m Falcon 9 ripoffs.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, jebidakerman121 said:

WHERE IS THE REST OF THE PARTS 

The capsule shown in the picture is just a stock Mk 1-3 pod, but I am not sure what happened with the engines/landing legs though (I recommend you probably reinstall the mod).
However, if you are looking for more SpaceX-esque  parts (including capsules and engines) which work well with KRE, you should check out Damon's other very excellent mod, Tundra Exploration!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 1:34 AM, Kurld said:

Is there some way to speed up the fins extending?  

Not sure why you would need that? I think you can speed up the animation through the config file. I forgot which parameter you have to add tho.

As for KRE as a whole. I am planning on making this mod available for KSP2 as soon as part modding is possible. So stay tuned!

2 hours ago, Damon said:

Not sure why you would need that?

Because they are too slow, lol.  

Kidding.  At the time I hadn't figured out the rest of the Soyuz escape shroud I was working on, and I was hoping the fins would just kind of snap open at abort-time.  After I got the thrust vector and engine burn times sorted out on the LES part, they do just fine as-is.

Flying stable and prograde after a pad abort:

0hf6QIl.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 10:47 PM, KSPCommander12 said:

The mod is great but the Falcon legs are extremally explosive. When I try to use them, even still on the Launchpad, they explode.

Yeah. I have tried various fixes. I hope KSP2 will have better leg stability! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2023 at 6:34 PM, Damon said:

KRE v2.9.3 has been released with the following bug fixes:
- Falcon legs don't jiggle anymore while a craft is landed!

Hello!Thank you so much for the update!The jiggle was fixed but...

unfortunately the crash tolerance was drastically reduced in this version, like drastically and even the lightest bumps evaporate the legs.

I hope you can fix it or improve it, i love this mod...its one of my favorites and right now i use a previous version to be able to land my rockets.

After i land it i reduce the spring to zero to stop the jiggling(on the previous version).

Thank you again for your time and this brilliant mod!

Edited by Serenity