[1.12.x] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

Damon

This is not ok :P
Falcon 9 with Tundra+Reusability without gridfins is ~ 65K polys (no payload)
With the grid fins it goes to ~164k polys.
This is an object people would use in a render, not in a game. Each of those curves can be done with 4-6 loop cuts, these have around 20.
I don't wanna seem like I'm pooping on it, just pointing out something that could be very optimized. This is one of my must have mods and I love it! :D

unknown.png

On 8/29/2020 at 7:45 PM, Lithobrake said:

Hi I downloaded this mod recently, and I freaking love it. However, I noticed the Falcon legs are a little glitchy. Is there something I'm doing wrong or are they just that way normally. Thanks!

KSP leg system isn't very stable. I can't do much more about it sadly..

On 9/1/2020 at 12:55 AM, EritoKaio said:

This is an object people would use in a render, not in a game. Each of those curves can be done with 4-6 loop cuts, these have around 20.
I don't wanna seem like I'm pooping on it, just pointing out something that could be very optimized. This is one of my must have mods and I love it! :D

-zip-

My Starship system uses a lot more and I still have no frame rate drops. I didn't make the gridfin model and I am not planning to change it.

The problem with KSP is that the more parts you use, the more lag you will have. Less parts = less lag. I haven't notice any difference in poly count usages.

On 8/31/2020 at 3:55 PM, EritoKaio said:

unknown.png

It's been that way for while and you're just now noticing?

• 2 months later...
On 7/20/2020 at 9:18 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

@damonvv A humble suggestion: move the giant Super Heavy grid fins from your Tundra mod to KRE. TE requires this mod anyway, and it would be useful to have some 5m sized grid fins without having to install that whole mod (as awesome as it is). Though (IIRC) the TE Starship is 5.6m diameter, so you could include an extra part variant to allow them to fit properly with 5m parts too.

On 7/20/2020 at 9:21 PM, damonvv said:

Not a bad idea at all. I will think about it! If I do this, I need to remodel the grid fin slightly so it fits more with this mod (aka higher standards).

I don't want to sound like I'm bugging you, but how did this go? Did you decide not to do it?

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I don't want to sound like I'm bugging you, but how did this go? Did you decide not to do it?

I haven't found the time yet to remodel the grid fin! But I am still planning on doing so. Also a new Mk2 leg will be in the mod that is much closer to the Falcon legs. The old leg will still be available ofcourse!

1 hour ago, DaOPCreeper said:

also do the landing legs (the falcon ones in particular) lock into place when deployed, and if so how? i cant figure it out, If not can you add that in the next updated?

They do, it's just part of the landing gear code that they lock into place once deployed. The extension of the legs is just an animation.

43 minutes ago, DaOPCreeper said:

i ask cause when i was trying it out they would touch the ground but the rocket would still hit the ground

The landing gear have a stress limit. It looks like you're trying to land with a fully fuelled craft, which is too heavy for the landing legs, so they explode.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to create a KSPWheel patch for the Falcon Landing Gear Large (KRE-FalconLeg-L) without success. 
Everything seems to be working properly, except I have no motion on the suspension itself... it is acting solid.
I am 99% sure it's because I do not know what values to put into this area:
MODULE
    {
        name = KSPWheelSuspension
        suspensionName = Rotator
        suspensionOffset = 0.0
        suspensionAxis = 0.5, 0.5, 0
        retractedPosition = 0
        allowLockedSuspension = true
    }

The values currently there are nonsense, and are just a sign that I gave up and went with "Trial and error" ... mostly error.

@Shadowmage , @EmbersArc or @damonvv Could either of you help me?

I imported the model into Blender, so I could look at the various parts, but I am still unsure what part or group is the actual suspension.

Edited by TheKurgan

18 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

I have been trying to create a KSPWheel patch for the Falcon Landing Gear Large (KRE-FalconLeg-L) without success. 
Everything seems to be working properly, except I have no motion on the suspension itself... it is acting solid.
I am 99% sure it's because I do not know what values to put into this area:
MODULE
    {
        name = KSPWheelSuspension
        suspensionName = Rotator
        suspensionOffset = 0.0
        suspensionAxis = 0.5, 0.5, 0
        retractedPosition = 0
        allowLockedSuspension = true
    }

The values currently there are nonsense, and are just a sign that I gave up and went with "Trial and error" ... mostly error.

@Shadowmage , @EmbersArc or @damonvv Could either of you help me?

I imported the model into Blender, so I could look at the various parts, but I am still unsure what part or group is the actual suspension.

Legs are from another dimension haha. Took me a good while to get it working myself with a new part. But with KSPWheel I feel like I have to make the leg work specifically for that mod, unless stock parts are patched as well. Other than that I have no clue how that mods by itself.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@damonvv Do the new legs come in all 3 sizes like the original legs, or just 2.5m? (I haven't had a chance to play with them yet).

So far just for the 2.5m tank. I haven't tested the other sizes yet.