1.10 has been a pain for, me at least

Probro

Dont get me wrong, 1.10 is a great update...for most people but for me it has spiralled me down a long path of complications managing mods that ive installed and switching between save files like from my rss to my stock it takes FOREVER, i dont know if anyone else is having this issue but the thing is that 1.10 has been forcing me to go over hurdles and hurdles and hurdles eventually hitting a dead end, ive lost all my crafts in my save file multiple times only to go over more hurdles to get it back, you may call me a script kiddie but the thing is that i just barely know about installing mods manually and most of them corrupt my save file forcing me to go back and do it again, i miss restock, i miss space station expansion pats redux, i miss airplane plus, i miss all these mos but i cant install them because of 1.10, i cant wait untill these mods get updated because that'll take a long time and i cant go back anyway because ive joined the upslion initiative. Im sure ill figure out a solution but the thing is that i need just a little more time to figure out the works im not sure how long it'll take but ill figure it out, wish me luck guys

also btw ckan says that space station expansion parts redux isnt compatible with 1.10 but it works fine

The Ancient KSP Commandments Of Entropian  :D

Commandment 1:  Never play a 1.x.0 version.  They're almost always buggy.

Commandment 2: Take 1.x.1 versions with a grain of salt.  Wait until mods have been updated.

On 7/12/2020 at 6:11 AM, Gargamel said:

Heck, I only recently upgraded from 1.3.1 a couple months ago cause of mod sets. 

Same here. I went to 1.8.1

1.10.X sounds promising though... maybe take that leap towards the end of the year?? Lets see.

On 7/12/2020 at 5:11 AM, Gargamel said:

Heck, I only recently upgraded from 1.3.1 a couple months ago cause of mod sets. 

your still stuck on 1.3.1? what mod is causing you to do that?

3 hours ago, Probro said:

Not one mod, the 95 or so mods I was running in a balanced game.  Huge glorious motherships, 30 kerbal rovers on Eve, etc etc.  All filled with different mod parts in various combinations.   And most of them got updated to one of the following versions, but not all.  So that, and the forced mentality of "Updates will break saves, guaranteed" that has been instilled in me since 0.17, I just never bothered to update. 

It's interesting how things change differently for different people.

For me, 1.10.0 is the least troublesome version since 1.8.0 (including). I'm finally managing to really play on a post 1.7.3 KSP version.

Until the moment, the only glitches that had bitten me is cheating a Vessel into water (that I overcome with careful use of VesselMover) and a typo on line 276 of <KSP_110>/GameData/SquadExpansion/Serenity/Parts/Robotics/RotorEngine_02.cfg (delete the line with "==" and you will be fine).

I also noticed that Kerbals now climbs on trees, but I don't know if this is a feature or a bug. :)

6 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Not one mod, the 95 or so mods I was running in a balanced game.  Huge glorious motherships, 30 kerbal rovers on Eve, etc etc.  All filled with different mod parts in various combinations.   And most of them got updated to one of the following versions, but not all.  So that, and the forced mentality of "Updates will break saves, guaranteed" that has been instilled in me since 0.17, I just never bothered to update. 

jesus...have you even been on 1.10 or even 1.9?

21 hours ago, matiasb said:

I still had problems with BDB in 1.9.1. hmm

10 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

What exactly? Maybe I can help.

Perhaps taking it to the BDB thread would be best.   If one person has an issue, most likely multiple people do, and fewer people will see it here. 

On 7/15/2020 at 4:02 PM, Probro said:

1.3.1 was a great version - 1.4 added a ton of bugs and incompatibilities.  I still have a mod & stock 1.3.1 install tucked away even though they aren't my primary installs.  I personally don't think anything ran as smoothly as 1.3.1 until 1.8.1 came along.

7 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

I personally don't think anything ran as smoothly as 1.3.1 until 1.8.1 came along.

It's not only software, but there were also hardware issues. When Spectre and Meltdown arrived bitting our SAS, all that patches taxed heavily multithreaded games. I was using a MacMini 5.1 at that time and it was running KSP 1.4 with an somewhat acceptable perfprmance after turning off some bells and whistles. But KSP 1.3 was remarkably faster on that same machine.

After apple patched the firmware due Intel bugs, the 1.3 performance kept the same, but 1.4.5 (i was still playing this one) started to get unbearable with the same set of add'ons I was used to use before.

The mitigation patches for Spectre and Meltdown taxed heavily the Unity 2017 era of KSP...

I'm surprisingly not doing too bad on 1.10 (I updated it without even really thinking :blink:) on my save with tons of mods.. the main thing for me is fairings are now broken: can no longer build them at all, stock or mod based ones. I suppose I'll just go back to my unmodded save for a while until things catch up.

Edit: In a truly strange twist, 1.10 broke my unmodded save, but not my heavily modded one. That said, all I had to do to fix it was re-verify the gamedata

Edit: It is weird to play without part mods now; CTT and Nertea's stuff, especially, add so much depth to the game

Edited by GigFiz
New info

On 7/17/2020 at 4:38 PM, GigFiz said:

I'm surprisingly not doing too bad on 1.10 (I updated it without even really thinking :blink:) on my save with tons of mods.. the main thing for me is fairings are now broken: can no longer build them at all, stock or mod based ones. I suppose I'll just go back to my unmodded save for a while until things catch up.

Edit: In a truly strange twist, 1.10 broke my unmodded save, but not my heavily modded one. That said, all I had to do to fix it was re-verify the gamedata

Edit: It is weird to play without part mods now; CTT and Nertea's stuff, especially, add so much depth to the game

Did you ever find a solution to your fairings not working? I’m having the same issue. Approximately 100 mods, and everything works great! Except for the fact that I cannot build fairings. And any craft that has a fairing in my .craft files loads, but the fairings are not there. The fairing bases are there, but when I right click, nothing happens when I select build/edit/delete....it’s infuriating.  Have uninstalled and reinstalled, verified my files, and I’m out of ideas.

Edit: I should’ve explored more before posting! After further forum investigation, it would seem that the issue is Restock. It’s apparently also the reason that I do not have the magnetometer boom, which I have failed to notice up to this point. Uninstalling restock now. I’ll try magpie instead until there’s an update.

Edited by Serr8ededge
Added some information regarding solutions I’ve attempted

40 minutes ago, Serr8ededge said:

Did you ever find a solution to your fairings not working? I’m having the same issue. Approximately 100 mods, and everything works great! Except for the fact that I cannot build fairings. And any craft that has a fairing in my .craft files loads, but the fairings are not there. The fairing bases are there, but when I right click, nothing happens when I select build/edit/delete....it’s infuriating.  Have uninstalled and reinstalled, verified my files, and I’m out of ideas.

Edit: I should’ve explored more before posting! After further forum investigation, it would seem that the issue is Restock. It’s apparently also the reason that I do not have the magnetometer boom, which I have failed to notice up to this point. Uninstalling restock now. I’ll try magpie instead until there’s an update.

It's all modded fairings. The node name changed in stock, so anything designed around the old way doesn't work. There's gonna be a 1.10.1 where it's fixed.

On 7/19/2020 at 12:55 PM, Krakatoa said:

It's all modded fairings. The node name changed in stock, so anything designed around the old way doesn't work. There's gonna be a 1.10.1 where it's fixed.

That makes sense with the way ReStock's name redirection method works. Anytime squad changes a part/node name it will break the chain. I didn't make that connection because it was "stock" fairings, forgetting about ReStock's redesign and replace thing. On the bright side (I think, not a programmer) if it's just messed up pointers, I would think it would be a pretty easy fix. 

Yeah, the magnetometer and grabber jr they added, I already had from mods. I'm pretty underwhelmed with what they added, especially with the consequences of breaking my mods. Though I'm only talking about the stuff the added to the game; looked like plenty of under the hood fixes and improvements, which is never(ish (in theory)) a bad thing.

Edit: Update: The recent mini update/patch fixed the fairings

Edited by GigFiz
Update

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.