[1.8.1-1.9.1] Rescale Continued v.1.0.0

Profiremu23

I was having issues with the old rescale mod (which mostly works on my 1.8.1 install) terrain graphics not matching the colliders, and the "surface" collider itself seemingly being below the "crashed into planet" collider (not an experienced coder, just my description). In other words, my ship go boom boom even if I *very gently* touch down on the collider that my KER surface altimeter detects (often 20-2000m off from the graphics). Before switching over to this mod, I was wondering if anyone has had any similar issues with this mod.

On 9/16/2020 at 4:06 PM, Pugachev's Apprentice said:

... I was wondering if anyone has had any similar issues with this mod.

No terrain problems so far in my 5.4x save on running 1.8.1; I can remember having similar problems to you in the past but this seems to work perfectly aside from the odd misalignment in map view and especially during timewarp (which is expected in KSP when it comes to larger-than-stock systems)

• 2 weeks later...

@Profiremu23 Thank you for putting your time into creating this. Galileo's mod has terrain collider issues that make it semi-unplayable, so I'd guess the majority of downloads are going to come from people with broken installs.

It would probably be wise to add 3.2x and 6.4x scales, since people with the old rescale normally play on those. You might also want to keep an eye on terrain colliders since those broke old rescale saves. 

On 10/4/2020 at 2:16 PM, Br0nson said:

when will there be a version for 1.10?

If Kopernicus and Sigma Dimensions has 1.10 support, then the mod will work

On 10/6/2020 at 8:42 PM, Sanic said:

@Profiremu23 Thank you for putting your time into creating this. Galileo's mod has terrain collider issues that make it semi-unplayable, so I'd guess the majority of downloads are going to come from people with broken installs.

It would probably be wise to add 3.2x and 6.4x scales, since people with the old rescale normally play on those. You might also want to keep an eye on terrain colliders since those broke old rescale saves. 

3.5x and 5.4x and the 7.6x scale opinions are the replacements of the old Rescale 3.2x and 6.4x opinions, plus if i had free time, i will work on planetary mod support

3.5x, 5.4x, and 7.6x opinions are more logical steps towards Earth-scale, (3.5x = 33%, 5.4x = 50%, 7.6% is 75% Earth scale)

On 10/10/2020 at 9:29 AM, Profiremu23 said:

3.5x, 5.4x, and 7.6x opinions are more logical steps towards Earth-scale, (3.5x = 33%, 5.4x = 50%, 7.6% is 75% Earth scale)

But there's actually a logic behind 6.4x.  It is generally accepted that the scale of stock parts is about 1:1.6 in comparison to real life parts.  That is, stock 2.5 m parts compare favorably to real life 4 m parts.  It has been common in RSS to multiply all the parts dimensions by 1.6.  The logic behind 6.4x is that instead of resizing the parts to fit the universe, the universe is resized to fit the parts.  In other words, 2.5 m parts are to 6.4x as 4 m parts are to RSS.

It might make sense to go with something like this...
1.585^0 = 1
1.585^1 ≈ 1.6 (probably not needed)
1.585^2 ≈ 2.5
1.585^3 ≈ 4
1.585^4 ≈ 6.4
1.585^5 ≈ 10

1, 2.5, 6.4 and 10 are already commonly used scales, only 4x is new in place of the old 3.2x.

** The 1.585 number comes from, 10^(1/5).

Edited by OhioBob

17 hours ago, OhioBob said:

But there's actually a logic behind 6.4x.  It is generally accepted that the scale of stock parts is about 1:1.6 in comparison to real life parts.  That is, stock 2.5 m parts compare favorably to real life 4 m parts.  It has been common in RSS to multiply all the parts dimensions by 1.6.  The logic behind 6.4x is that instead of resizing the parts to fit the universe, the universe is resized to fit the parts.  In other words, 2.5 m parts are to 6.4x as 4 m parts are to RSS.

It might make sense to go with something like this...
1.585^0 = 1
1.585^1 ≈ 1.6 (probably not needed)
1.585^2 ≈ 2.5
1.585^3 ≈ 4
1.585^4 ≈ 6.4
1.585^5 ≈ 10

1, 2.5, 6.4 and 10 are already commonly used scales, only 4x is new in place of the old 3.2x.

** The 1.585 number comes from, 10^(1/5).

I will readd the 6.4x scale opinion to replace the 7.6x scale opinion at 1.1

Edited by Profiremu23

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey @Profiremu23, it looks like your release zips are not actually ZIPs, but RARs with incorrect file extensions.

$ file *.zip
Rescale.10.0x.zip:   RAR archive data, v5
Rescale.10.618x.zip: RAR archive data, v5
Rescale.2.0x.zip:    RAR archive data, v5
Rescale.2.5x.zip:    RAR archive data, v5
Rescale.3.5x.zip:    RAR archive data, v5
Rescale.5.4x.zip:    RAR archive data, v5
Rescale.7.6x.zip:    RAR archive data, v5

So the extension should actually be `.rar` instead of `.zip` here. RAR is a proprietary format not as widely supported, that's why there are a bunch of people in this thread mentioning that they can't open the zip files.

If you stick to the de facto KSP modding standard of true ZIPs, people would have an easier time opening them. Windows 10 has built-in functionality to create zips, so you wouldn't have to use third-party software for that.

Thanks!

Edited by DasSkelett

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would love to use this mod at it's latest version, but I can't, because an error message shows up saying "Windows cannot open the folder.   The compressed (zipped) Folder 'C:/Users/FlightSim/Downloads/Rescale.2.5x.zip' is invalid.":mad: I tried to put the gamedata folder inside KSP's gamedata instead of everything in it, but it would not rescale Kerbin. :( 
Is there another way to download it? Or possibly to just put it on CKAN? That would make things better :wink:
Plz help!!

@SpaceX_Boi try opening it with WinRar or simular program

On 12/18/2020 at 7:01 AM, DasSkelett said:

Hey @Profiremu23, it looks like your release zips are, well, not actually ZIPs, but RARs with incorrect file endings.

$ file *.zip
Rescale.10.0x.zip:   RAR archive data, v5
Rescale.10.618x.zip: RAR archive data, v5
Rescale.2.0x.zip:    RAR archive data, v5
Rescale.2.5x.zip:    RAR archive data, v5
Rescale.3.5x.zip:    RAR archive data, v5
Rescale.5.4x.zip:    RAR archive data, v5
Rescale.7.6x.zip:    RAR archive data, v5

So the file ending should actually be `,rar` instead of `.zip`. RAR is a proprietary format not as widely supported, that's why there are a bunch of people in this thread mentioning that they can't open the zip files.

If you stick to the de facto KSP modding standard of true ZIPs, people would have an easier time opening them. Windows 10 has built-in functionality to create zips, so you wouldn't have to use third-party software for that.

Thanks!

On 2/5/2021 at 1:46 AM, MorePortal said:

@SpaceX_Boi try opening it with WinRar or simular program

How would I do that? I tried opening it with another app on my PC, but I don't see anything like "WinRar or simular program". And if it really isn't a zip file, then how the heck would I put it in my KSP gamedata??? :huh:

8 hours ago, SpaceX_Boi said:

How would I do that? I tried opening it with another app on my PC, but I don't see anything like "WinRar or simular program". And if it really isn't a zip file, then how the heck would I put it in my KSP gamedata??? :huh:

You can also download the master.  I typically don't recommend doing that as the master is not an official release and could include stuff not for public consumption.  But in this case I've found that I can unzip the master without any problems.   Just click the following link, then click the green "Code" button, then click "Download ZIP"

Profiremu23/RescaleContinued (github.com)

Edited by OhioBob

3 hours ago, OhioBob said:

You can also download the master.  I typically don't recommend doing that as the master is not an official release and could include stuff not for public consumption.  But in this case I've found that I can unzip the master without any problems.   Just click the following link, then click the green "Code" button, the click "Download ZIP"

OK, thanks! I will try it. :) 
I also know how to download stuff from github lol ;) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.