[Completed] JNSQ Space Race 2: Two Race, Two Space

Just now, epicfailure2020 said:

So my computer won’t turn on. I guess I’m out of the race. Hopefully if you start a 3rd one my computer will be working again. And if your wondering I’m writing this on my I pad

secretley you're thinking that @jimmymcgoochie is too op

Just now, Misguided_Kerbal said:

so... another drop out. ok then :( 

also im back in the race

Advanced Audacious Aerospace Research Group: What's that burning smell?

WrdBgRz.png

The Board have just discovered that we at AAARG have been following the "career mode" style of mission planning, where every spare gram of mass is a waste and everything should be done to maximise efficiency. As the Mun Orbiter 2 and then our two surface bases have demonstrated, adopting a different mindset- one where outright speed matters more than efficiency and delta-V overkill is actively encouraged- can slash travel times considerably. The Board are demanding to know why we didn't think of doing this from day 1, and are insisting that this new approach be used for our three probes to Eve, Duna and Jool. As such, we've built those probes with vast reserves of delta-V (the Duna probe ended up with about 10km/s more than the 'optimal' transfer window would require!) and launched them towards their targets with little regard for such trivial details as "transfer windows", and will rely on aerobraking to establish orbits of Jool and Eve.

This approach was greatly aided by our continued talks with Post-Kerbin Mining: after concluding a deal with their Launch Vehicles division, we were approached by their nuclear division and discovered that they make a range of nuclear rocket engines as well. Despite the better ISP offered by using liquid hydrogen as propellant for these engines and the reduced fuel mass it would bring, ultimately the low fuel density and power cost of cooling the tanks meant that we went for the less efficient liquid fuel powered versions of these nuclear engines instead as these offered greater range for the same fuel tank size.

The Duna probe's excessive delta-V was going to be put to use performing a fairly aggressive transfer followed by a braking burn into orbit, but due to inefficiencies in the burn execution compounded by dangerous overheating issues with its 'Liberator' nuclear engine, an aerobraking attempt will be made despite the tenuous atmosphere at Duna; ailing that, an attempt will be made to crash the probe directly into Duna at a frankly ludicrous speed, as an impactor probe is still a probe!

Spoiler

VEUVhSr.png

kMnAkwD.png

HFqnlBt.png

bNKQEfH.png

kIlLB3x.png

bvS2ubW.png

xrl3y7z.png

5MhuDIR.png

Between the Jool probe's kick and transfer burns, Space Station 3 arrived at the Mun and braked into orbit, completing yet another key objective:

• First station around the Mun: Valentina, Siesy and Dunler Kerman in Space Station 3, achieved after 15 days, 2 hours and 19 minutes. :rep:

"HA! Complete orbits this time! HAHAHAHhahahahaHAHA!" Val sounded slightly deranged over the radio and it took both Siesy and Dunler to pry the microphone from her hands. A minor scheduling mixup was discovered yesterday that resulted in two pilots and a scientist being sent aboard Space Station 3 instead of one pilot, engineer and scientist each; since Space Station 4 was launched with the established team of Jennie, Nathanael and Buzz and the only other engineer available was Frodo (first Kerbal to orbit the Mun, remember?), it's probably for the best... We're still not quite sure which law enforcement agency would be called upon for a murder in space, or indeed whose laws they would be enforcing, and it's probably best if we keep those questions theoretical for the foreseeable future!

Full album is here: https://imgur.com/a/q2k2Io0

AAARG's space program has been running for 17 days, 0 hours and 47 minutes. Space stations are in orbit of Kerbin and the Mun, with Space Station 4 due to arrive in Minmus orbit in a little under 3 days. Surface bases are in place on both the Mun and Minmus, and probes are inbound to Eve, Duna and Jool.

(OOC: @Misguided_Kerbal What exactly counts as successfully completing the probe milestones? Reaching the SOI? Capturing into its SOI, even on an unstable orbit with a periapsis inside the atmosphere? Stable orbit? Does colliding with the surface count?)

Tree Industries

eJIWEaO.png

After a mild hurricane, Geoff Kerman wanted to speed up things, and started an expansion of the KSC, renaming it the TSC (Tree Space Center), and started training as a kerbonaut. Only 1 hour later,

The next rocket was ready only 10 minutes later. Named Stick 1, its pilot would be recently-graduated kerbonaut and CEO, Geoff Kerman.

Spoiler

Liftoff! With a nice view back at the new TSC.

W2ATL2Z.jpgGaEDck7.jpg

After quickly running through its stages, the rocket was in orbit.

Spoiler

The Stick 1 discards its first boosters.J28Pja7.jpgitNeofL.jpgfnosCnf.pngaffleuJ.png

Then Geoff saw something outside the window.

Spoiler

1W9pcA5.png

Taking an unautorized EVA, he found this:

Spoiler

MU4IQv5.png

9ggQFNt.png

It was Mun. "I'll be the first on you someday."Geoff muttering to himself.

Shortly afterwards, the deorbit burn was set, and Geoff was burning through the atmosphere when he saw this:

Spoiler

2L4JQuw.png

pn3ULRA.png

Geoff made it home safely, and was the first Kerbal for Trees Industries.

2mHUFyh.png

After 6 hours, we now have a kerbal in space.

Edited by GuessingEveryDay

14 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

(OOC: @Misguided_Kerbal What exactly counts as successfully completing the probe milestones? Reaching the SOI? Capturing into its SOI, even on an unstable orbit with a periapsis inside the atmosphere? Stable orbit? Does colliding with the surface count?)

It has to complete at least 1 stable orbit around the body to complete the milestone. Sorry for not being very clear

Advanced Audacious Aerospace Research Group: Over to Bobak for a traffic update!

WrdBgRz.png

A quick update here with a few small but significant events. Minmus Orbiter arrived back at Kerbin and re-entered flawlessly, splashing down into the ocean and ending Natagard's nearly 20 day mission. A couple of hours later, Space Station 4 braked into Minmus orbit, and a few hours after that Minmus Lander re-entered and splashed down, with Hilsey snatching Natagard's record by mere minutes. There was one moment of alarm in Mission Control as Hilsey's parachute opened much slower than expected, resulting in excessive velocity right down to the last 10 metres or so above the water where it slowed down just enough to stay intact on splashdown. All future missions will be sticking to the default 1km full opening altitude instead of reducing it in a bid to shave a few seconds off the descent time; it just isn't worth the risk.

Spoiler

tqhZhDu.png

3v13xUN.png

7Wu03S8.png

qcuel2W.png

yQbUFDB.png

PhUWPsr.png

One more milestone falls in Phase 3:

• Space station in orbit of Minmus: Jennie, Nathanael and Buzz Kerman in Space Station 4, achieved after 19 days, 11 hours and 29 minutes. :rep:

In other news- three new Kerbals have been press-ganged into voluntarily joined our space program: say hello to Mirsy, Dildan and Luing!

Full album is here: https://imgur.com/a/FP9iT7m

AAARG's space program has been running for 20 days, 0 hours and 17 minutes. All Phase 3 Milestones are now complete and only the probe prerequisites remain. While the probes continue their journeys (and new probes may be launched with MOAR FUEL to ensure that stable orbits are achieved around all target bodies), additional missions are being planned to recover all the crews from the stations and bases to return them to Kerbin. We're getting a bit worried about Val trying to land on the Mun with just her EVA jetpack, so this may happen sooner rather than later!

oh btw i forgot to say this but either i forgot to set this setting when making my save or the game won't let me change it but i have the game time with real time 24hr per 1 day 365 days in a year

i saw a setting in the settings thing in the main menu

but it won't change

@Kraken that doesn't exist you seem to be climbing for a long time before starting your turn, then turning very aggressively and adding more drag than you need to with that high angle of attack. Try turning earlier, at about 100m/s, to an angle of 10 degrees and then holding prograde from there, you may find you get into orbit with more delta-V remaining and a shorter circularisation burn at apoapsis.

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

@Kraken that doesn't exist you seem to be climbing for a long time before starting your turn, then turning very aggressively and adding more drag than you need to with that high angle of attack. Try turning earlier, at about 100m/s, to an angle of 10 degrees and then holding prograde from there, you may find you get into orbit with more delta-V remaining and a shorter circularisation burn at apoapsis.

okay thanks for the advise, then again the rocket is weird, it has a fairing that goes to like 10 meters from 5 meters in an instant

7 hours ago, Kraken that doesn't exist said:

oh btw i forgot to say this but either i forgot to set this setting when making my save or the game won't let me change it but i have the game time with real time 24hr per 1 day 365 days in a year

i saw a setting in the settings thing in the main menu

but it won't change

yeah, JNSQ does that.

20 hours ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Tree Industries

eJIWEaO.png

After a mild hurricane, Geoff Kerman wanted to speed up things, and started an expansion of the KSC, renaming it the TSC (Tree Space Center), and started training as a kerbonaut. Only 1 hour later,

The next rocket was ready only 10 minutes later. Named Stick 1, its pilot would be recently-graduated kerbonaut and CEO, Geoff Kerman.

The Stick 1 stands on the pad.

Reveal hidden contents

Liftoff! With a nice view back at the new TSC.

The Stick 1 looks back at the TSC.

After quickly running through its stages, the rocket was in orbit.

Reveal hidden contents

The Stick 1 discards its first boosters.

Then Geoff saw something outside the window.

Reveal hidden contents

YjVBR_SXLOrxIjQk6ffUHiyZ8uTJ3G3ckIjvOren

Taking an unautorized EVA, he found this:

Reveal hidden contents

-3OMInNUxSNMrj21K0mvQfyVXo0AgmIA9AdhJyog

Nspp7lCff3IVMyu7zKf8-qcJdloY7cccBRCc564x

It was Mun. "I'll be the first on you someday."Geoff muttering to himself.

Shortly afterwards, the deorbit burn was set, and Geoff was burning through the atmosphere when he saw this:

Reveal hidden contents

Rock 1 makes a surprise cameo!

Geoff made it home safely, and was the first Kerbal for Trees Industries.

nwjVMBywtCjX9saaqtLgz-veEDH8QZjon5CH7W7A

After 6 hours, we now have a kerbal in space.

also can you see the problem with your thing in my qoute

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.