NEW Interface / KSP Karbon UI

MrF0X

Hello all cosmonauts!

This is my first post in the community, I hope to post this in the right place.

I'm a graphic designer, and I've worked on some mods for other games. But KSP is my passion and I would like to collaborate with the community.

I decided to do some tests for an improved interface in the graphic aspect, without intervening in the size, functions or positions of the elements, just perform in reskin of the interface. (especially for QHD and 4k)
Seeking to unify unnecessary colors to decrease unnecessary visual complexity, and also make those long trips to Elo more comfortable.
The idea is to use flatter textures, with greater contrast when necessary and greater clarity in the shapes. This is a very easy redesign job to apply to the game if the configuration and texture files can be easily modified.

92Vah3E.jpg

cJrwuT1.jpg

C2l2hoX.jpg

StO5juq.jpg

MyU4jl5.jpg

O42K6sj.jpg

IGcn5AU.jpg

O2NtW5X.jpg

1GUXbrw.jpg

0q2AXGJ.jpg

B72pjLS.jpg

With KSP I am a little confused on how to start the work so I decided to ask the community for help to form a team and work on the aspects that I do not know about the game.

I have always worked alone, without sharing many of the mods I made, but I think that should change, and the KSP community is one of the best to start learning and sharing experiences.

Looks neat.  Personal opinion is that the PAW looks just a touch too flat - the buttons at least should have a bit more depth to them.

Also, the altimeter should be either skeuomorphic or flat, not both.  I don't really see the rolling off of the numbers making sense to me if it's flat.  The navball however is nice, in that it's got just enough depth to look like it's actually a ball.

This was done once before, by RealGecko.

It would be a good thing to look at, I think he got most of the controls.

Personally, I'm not a fan of these flat layouts, but I can see why some would. 

I'm on my phone right now, reply if you want me to point you to his repo

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This was done once before, by RealGecko.

It would be a good thing to look at, I think he got most of the controls.

Personally, I'm not a fan of these flat layouts, but I can see why some would. 

I'm on my phone right now, reply if you want me to point you to his repo

It all depends on the editing capicity, I personally like some flat designs, but it is also true that the interface can be seen much better with slightly more elaborate designs.
I think it would be nice to access that repository, to see how far we can customize the game as external designers.

What I am looking for is to give the game a better interface thought from the point of view of visual load, so that the controls do not lose functionality, but are not so "noisy" either.
It all depends on the community, what you can contribute and suggest, I will take into account all the paths and aspects that serve to improve the gaming experience. (and some streamings)
The general idea is:

1 Improve UI usability (without making big changes)
2 Improve visual appearance (to make the game feel more modern)

Anything you can contribute and teach me to carry out this project is welcome!

I think those who like to use improvements in textures and shaders think sooner or later of improving something in the interface, adding this to all that great work of the community would be incredible!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I must be in the minority (again) but it doesn't do anything for me, in fact I'd say I don't like it (the style I mean, not the workmanship). The stock altimeter and panels are very 80s C64 and could do with an update but not in this style in my opinion. I think the issue is when you try to modernise the stock UI's it just ends up looking 'odd', maybe a total overhaul would appeal to me more?

PS Or switchable versions to please everyone :)

3 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

I must be in the minority (again) but it doesn't do anything for me, in fact I'd say I don't like it (the style I mean, not the workmanship). The stock altimeter and panels are very 80s C64 and could do with an update but not in this style in my opinion. I think the issue is when you try to modernise the stock UI's it just ends up looking 'odd', maybe a total overhaul would appeal to me more?

PS Or switchable versions to please everyone :)

I would agree, but different people have different tastes.

This is still a really cool proof of concept that might allow for easy UI switching a la Texture Replacer.

7 hours ago, Weak Player said:

I think the navball looks really good in fact I’d download that on its own. 

The other parts are a bit too garish for me / melt my eyes but I prefer the overall theme/style to the OP one definitely.

5 hours ago, FruitGoose said:
12 hours ago, Weak Player said:

I think the navball looks really good in fact I’d download that on its own. 

The other parts are a bit too garish for me / melt my eyes but I prefer the overall theme/style to the OP one definitely.

yeah the nav ball looks great, but the KSP logo is eye meltingly bad (sorry:() and the green is waaay too bright. Also the flat UI isn't that great of a look for KSP. 

• 6 months later...
11 minutes ago, Staticalliam7 said:

How did you do this?

I think these are just mock-ups, which would have been made by capturing screenshots from KSP and then editing them in Photoshop or equivalent, and no working mod was ever made:

On 7/13/2020 at 1:55 PM, MrF0X said:

if the configuration and texture files can be easily modified.

With KSP I am a little confused on how to start the work so I decided to ask the community for help to form a team and work on the aspects that I do not know about the game.

On 7/14/2020 at 1:20 AM, ValiZockt said:

This is a WIP Project, no download yet. 

• 1 month later...

I really hope this mod gets made. I find this interface to be much less cluttered than the original interface and I really like the look and color choices.  Also from a graphics and UX designer perspective, It makes most icons and the information they try to convey more visible. 

If ever viable, I could see a color editor for the interface to be highly appreciated.

Hope you keep up the great work @mrfox!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.