[WIP] Photon Corp. (Stockalike Orbital ATK Mod)

DylanSemrau

16 minutes ago, SpaceX_Boi said:

Sooo, this mod looks cool, but what's different about the SRB's from other mod's like reDIRECT? :P (other then being able to recover them)

not really much of a difference. I think these have different thrust curves you can choose aswell as differnet colors. They also don't bug out as much as the redirect ones for me

15 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I think that's the BetterSRBs mod. Maybe it has configs for this?

Photon Corp SRBs come with selectable thrust curves out of the box. No BetterSRBs needed.

EDIT: Turns out it's actually an unused stock feature!

This is the relevant part of ModuleEnginesFX, for the default thrust curve in the Photon Corp 2-seg SRM:

useThrustCurve = true
        thrustCurve
        {
            key = 0 0.15 0 0
            key = 0.01717351 0.300119 5.643964 2.964803
            key = 0.1012324 0.597418 5.16612 3.026128
            key = 0.3682425 0.9495611 0.9426607 0.3781719
            key = 0.6383126 0.9586715 0.01609325 0.01609325
            key = 0.8927392 0.9969858 -0.08379119 0.3204599
            key = 1 0.81 0 0

}

BTW I think it should be called the Kastor 2000

I wonder how many more hidden features stock part modules have, waiting to be discovered by some inquisitive modder?

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

• 2 weeks later...

So, since this mod is a WIP, I would just like to point that the SRB plumes are a bit wimpy :P 

This could be a problem with accidently installing plume part twice, btw

8 hours ago, SpaceX_Boi said:

So, since this mod is a WIP, I would just like to point that the SRB plumes are a bit wimpy :P 

This could be a problem with accidently installing plume part twice, btw

About the plumes, they never shut off. They just stay on, even when not fired.

3 hours ago, alberro+ said:

About the plumes, they never shut off. They just stay on, even when not fired.

I don't have that problem, strange :/ 

10 minutes ago, alberro+ said:

Are you on 1.11.2? I'm on 1.8.1, maybe that's the issue.

I'm on 1.11.2, and the plumes were still a little wimpy on 1.8.1, as I upgraded from that to 1.11.2 yesterday :/ 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 10:16 AM, SpaceX_Boi said:

Sooo, this mod looks cool, but what's different about the SRB's from other mod's like reDIRECT? :P (other then being able to recover them)

This mod has SRB's without the Aft skirts, and black variants.

56 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

The SRBs also work. ReDirect's don't work for me.

Why would that be? reDIRECT's SRBs work fine for me :/ 

2 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Dunno, its kinda wierd. Like the SRBs work just they go ballistic when seperating and tear a whole in everything

I think I know what you mean, I ended up tracing a strange joint stability issue to reDIRECT a while back, on 1.10. If I tried to use any of the parts, the whole rocket would spawn as if every major joint was a soft noodle. Other people didn’t have that problem and to sum up my conclusion: some mods behave strangely in the presence of other mods; depending on your specific version and mod installs, anything can happen.

17 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

also I heard that benjee wants to integrate the photon SRBs in REDIRECT because these look way better and the old ones look, yeah...

(though I can't confirm this)

What he said was:

On 11/30/2020 at 9:09 PM, benjee10 said:

At this stage I am not planning on doing anything with the SRBs - they are rather old parts and don’t hold up art-wise compared with the rest of the mod. I would recommend Photon Corp for SRBs - in future I’d like to deprecate the existing SRBs and have some sort of integration with Photon, but still considering how to this.

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 6:42 AM, Starhelperdude said:

also I heard that benjee wants to integrate the photon SRBs in REDIRECT because these look way better and the old ones look, yeah...

(though I can't confirm this)

We talked about it briefly when I started, it’s specifically meant to work fine with his parts

• 4 weeks later...

So, this is not a request for new parts (please PLEASE don't take it as that)   But I am curious if there was/is any thought to making either Saturn compliant or the Composite cased (Pre challenger) SRM versions?

Most of the MLV artwork depicts Thiokol SRMs for the 156" SRM for Saturn MLV.   Only one drawing shows either a Lockheed or UTC/UA 156" SRM and it is so featureless that it might as well be a place holder.  The Thiokol one slook ALMOST like the final Shuttle ones.

10 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Similar to the Titan 4 SRMU?

No, the MLV booster was what became the 150" Shuttle SRM/SRB/RSRB whatever.    The main changes were the fore end (after the nose cone) a collar was attached (this is the Thrust bearing for attaching to Saturn.  The Bottom "gimbal" cone is replaced with a similar thickness Cylinder at the bottom (to the top one.)    I THINK the Gimbal range was reduced to 3 or 4 degrees (early Flexroll/Flexseal Solid motor nozzle gimbals was much smaller in movement than the final production Shuttle boosters.

The Composite wound SRB would be smoother... Similar to the Titan IV SRMU.   But still much bigger (122" vs 150" IIRC)  It would still show the half segment splits like the Steel ones.   The RSRB/SRB/SRM for the Shuttle was made up of 8 segments (that were factory joined into 4 segments)  A 9th segment IIRC was used for the Gimbal assembly (and has no fuel in it)   This made the bottom Nozzle segment the longest single segment in the RSRB/SRB/SRM for Shuttle (by 20 or 30 inches IIRC.) 

***CAVIET*** I just had my second Covid vaccine shot and it is messing with my head a bit today (lypmhnode swelling.)   Memory & recall is NOT perfect today (truly it never is but today worse than normal.)

Pictures and info:

Spoiler

Space_Shuttle_SRB_diagram.png

Here you can see the segments as I described them

https://www.thespacereview.com/article/3660/1

Not the best picture but you can see one of the FWC SRBs on the test stand... and you can make out the half segment seams still    I can't seem to find it right now on BBoW but there are better pictures there!

Here it is:

FWC-SRM.jpg

Black paint is available currently but does not seem to cut the mass down (but given my issues with the Shuttle robotic arms not working I haven't launched many shuttles!)

Edited by Pappystein

23 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

No, the MLV booster was what became the 150" Shuttle SRM/SRB/RSRB whatever.    The main changes were the fore end (after the nose cone) a collar was attached (this is the Thrust bearing for attaching to Saturn.  The Bottom "gimbal" cone is replaced with a similar thickness Cylinder at the bottom (to the top one.)    I THINK the Gimbal range was reduced to 3 or 4 degrees (early Flexroll/Flexseal Solid motor nozzle gimbals was much smaller in movement than the final production Shuttle boosters.

The Composite wound SRB would be smoother... Similar to the Titan IV SRMU.   But still much bigger (122" vs 150" IIRC)  It would still show the half segment splits like the Steel ones.   The RSRB/SRB/SRM for the Shuttle was made up of 8 segments (that were factory joined into 4 segments)  A 9th segment IIRC was used for the Gimbal assembly (and has no fuel in it)   This made the bottom Nozzle segment the longest single segment in the RSRB/SRB/SRM for Shuttle (by 20 or 30 inches IIRC.) 

***CAVIET*** I just had my second Covid vaccine shot and it is messing with my head a bit today (lypmhnode swelling.)   Memory & recall is NOT perfect today (truly it never is but today worse than normal.)

Pictures and info:

Reveal hidden contents

Space_Shuttle_SRB_diagram.png

Here you can see the segments as I described them

https://www.thespacereview.com/article/3660/1

Not the best picture but you can see one of the FWC SRBs on the test stand... and you can make out the half segment seams still    I can't seem to find it right now on BBoW but there are better pictures there!

Here it is:

FWC-SRM.jpg

Black paint is available currently but does not seem to cut the mass down (but given my issues with the Shuttle robotic arms not working I haven't launched many shuttles!)

Thanks for clarifying! :)

So maybe for the block 2 SLS BOLE boosters they might have some SRMU heritage. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.