Glitching part highlights and action groups - FIXED

I have just reinstalled KSP v1.8.1 with RSS/RO/RP-1 amongst other mods I'll list from the KSP.log (some of which I never never used before and I have found no known conflicts between them) and a curious and very irritating bug has occurred.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/05w6ekia76zosgg/Player.log?dl=0 - Player.log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo44wtxbmf81hwb/KSP.log?dl=0 - KSP.log

This issue has never occurred during past installs using ALL but the highlighted mods - see spoiler.

SIDENOTE- Previous installs have used Principia but on this occasion, I chose to use PersistentRotation instead.

KSP 1.8.1 64-bit - Win10

PROBLEM - Loss of green part highlights during flight and design while mousing over parts and editing of action groups disabled.

STEPS - Design rocket - start KRASH simulation (highlight issue manifests) - Terminate simulation (highlight issue persists and editing of action groups doesn't work - including no editor dialog for RealChutes - to clarify - I can get to the Action Groups tab but cannot select any action group or part).

TRIED -

leaving and re-entering VAB - issue still apparent,

exiting to main menu and reloading save - issue still apparent,

closing application and re-loading - issue resolved until KRASH simulation started again.

MODS installed (extract from KSP.log) - most have worked fine in previous install - new ones to me are highlighted in BOLD in the section 'Folders and files in GameData:' as not all are listed with version numbers.

Spoiler

Environment Info
Win32NT 7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF  Args: KSP_x64.exe 

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
Hyperspace v1.1.0.0
ModuleManager v4.1.3.0
ClickThroughBlocker v0.1.10.10 / v1.0.0.0
BlendshapeModelLoader v1.0.0.0
TexturesUnlimited v0.0.0.0
ToolbarControl v0.1.9.4 / v1.0.0.0
SolverEngines v3.3.0.0 / v3.7.5.0
AJE v2.15.0.0
AtmosphereAutopilot v1.5.16.0
AtmosphereAutopilot.UI v1.0.0.0
Audio Muffler Redux v2.6.1.0
B9PartSwitch v2.14.0.0 / vv2.14.0
B9_Aerospace_WingStuff v0.93.0.0 / v0.93
BDAnimationModules v0.6.5.8
RNModules v1.1.7.0
ContractConfigurator v1.0.0.0 / v1.28.0
CustomBarnKit v1.1.20.0
DeadlyReentry v7.7.4.0
DistantObject v2.0.0.2
DMagic v1.4.3.0 / vv1.4.3.0
DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric v0.23.0.0
EditorExtensionsRedux v3.4.1.1
EngineGroupController v1.0.0.0
UnityGUIFramework v1.0.0.0
Atmosphere v1.8.0.2
CelestialShadows v1.8.0.2
CityLights v1.8.0.2
EVEManager v1.8.0.2
PartFX v1.8.0.2
PQSManager v1.8.0.2
ShaderLoader v1.8.0.2
Terrain v1.8.0.2
TextureConfig v1.8.0.2
Utils v1.8.0.2
_BuildManager v1.8.0.2
FerramAerospaceResearch.Base v0.15.11.4
ModularFlightIntegrator v1.0.0.0 / v1.2.7.0
FerramAerospaceResearch v0.15.11.4
ferramGraph v1.3.0.0
Scale_Redist v1.0.0.0
Firespitter v7.3.7287.12431
FShangarExtender v3.6.0.0 / v3.5.0.0
KerbalConstructionTime v1.4.7.13
KerbalEngineer v1.1.7.2
KerbalEngineer.Unity v1.0.0.0
0Harmony v1.2.0.1
KerbalismBootstrap v3.9.7440.474 / v3.9
KerbalJointReinforcement v3.5.1.0
Kopernicus.Parser v1.0.0.0
Kopernicus v1.0.0.0
KRASH v0.5.33.0 / v1.0.0.0
KSPWheel v0.0.0.0
MagiCore v1.3.2.3 / v1.0.0.0 / v1.3.1.0
MechJeb2 v2.5.1.0 / v / v2.9.2.0
PatchManager v0.0.17.1 / v1.0.0.0
PersistentRotation v1.3.1.0
PlanetShine v0.2.6.1
ProceduralFairings v1.8.1.0 / v1.8.2.0
ProceduralParts v2.0.0.0 / v2.0.3.0
RCSBuildAid v0.10.0.0
RealAntennas v1.1.0.0 / v1.2.0.0
RealChute v1.4.7228.28356 / v1.4.7.5
RealFuels v12.8.4.11 / v12.8.4.11-c9fa
RealHeat v5.1.0.0
RealismOverhaul v0.12.8.1
RealSolarSystem v0.18.0.0
RetractableLiftingSurface v0.2.1.1 / v1.0.0.0
ROLib v1.0.0.0 / v1.1.0.0
CC_RP0 v1.0.0.0 / v1.5.0.0
ClearInputLocks v1.0.0.0
RP0 v1.0.0.0 / v1.5.0.0
RP0KCTBinder v1.0.0.0 / v1.5.0.0
RSSTimeFormatter v1.6.1.0
RSSVE v1.7.3.2594 / v1.7.3.1
scatterer v0.0.0.0
SmokeScreen v2.8.14.0
Stock assembly: KSPSteamCtrlr v0.0.1.35
ModuleBounce v0.3.29.4 / v1.0.0.0
TestLite v0.2.0.0 / v0.2.2
KerbalAlarmClock v3.12.0.0
TUFX v1.0.0.0
ZeroMiniAVC v1.1.0.1

Folders and files in GameData:
000_ClickThroughBlocker
000_TexturesUnlimited
001_ToolbarControl
AJE
AtmosphereAutopilot
Audio Muffler Redux
B9PartSwitch
B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings
BahaSP
CommunityResourcePack
ContractConfigurator
CustomBarnKit
DeadlyReentry
DistantObject
DMagicOrbitalScience
DMagicScienceAnimate
EditorExtensionsRedux
EngineGroupController
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
FerramAerospaceResearch
Firespitter
FShangarExtender
KerbalConstructionTime
KerbalEngineer
Kerbalism
KerbalismConfig
KerbalJointReinforcement
Kopernicus
KRASH
KSPWheel
MagiCore
MechJeb2
ModularFlightIntegrator
PatchManager
PersistentRotation
PlanetShine
ProceduralFairings
ProceduralFairings-ForEverything
ProceduralParts
RCSBuildAid
RealAntennas
RealChute
RealFuels
RealHeat
RealismOverhaul
RealPlume
RealSolarSystem
RetractableLiftingSurface
ROCapsules
ROEngines
ROLib
ROSolar
ROTanks
RP-0
RSS-Textures
RSSDateTime
RSSVE
scatterer

SmokeScreen
SolverEngines
Stock folder: Squad

SXT
Taerobee
TestLite
TriggerTech
TUFX
VenStockRevamp
ZeroMiniAVC
Custom_FARAeroData.cfg
Hyperspace.dll
ModuleManager.4.1.3.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree

I don't know much about the KSP.log file and it's contents but I do have limited Java programming knowledge and NullReferenceExceptions are never good news, the following is an exert from the KSP.log file that appears at the time of the scene change from editor to flight (simulation) -

[LOG 11:55:02.266] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From EDITOR to FLIGHT (Async) =====================
[EXC 11:55:02.723] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KSP.UI.Screens.EditorActionGroups.CreateGroups_Action () (at <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0)
    KSP.UI.Screens.EditorActionGroups.ConstructGroupList () (at <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0)
    KSP.UI.Screens.EditorActionGroups.ConstructLists (System.Boolean full) (at <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0)
    KSP.UI.Screens.EditorActionGroups.ClearSelection (System.Boolean reconstruct) (at <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0)
    ClickThroughFix.CBTMonitor.Update () (at <8ce3c4309a2e4d02a8927d012adeebeb>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

I don't know if this is related to this issue but similar Exceptions are listed in following scene changes and in large numbers when returning from flight to editor - will show all Exceptions if required and requested. The only mod installed that i can glean from this exert seems to refer to the ClickThroughBlocker.

Upon first load of this install (and any subsequent Career mode start) I received a pop-up that I believe is due to a recent update to the mod on this pop up, I select the previous default of following the mouse and not the click.

I never installed this mod manually so I have to assume it is a dependent for another mod and was installed thusly and automatically by CKAN. Perhaps this new update is causing a conflict with one of the other mods?

After investigation, ToolbarController is dependent on the ClickThroughBlocker which is in turn depended on by the Patch Manager which I believe is a mod that cannot be removed without wide ranging mod removals...

My suspicions seems to have been confirmed - after rolling back the ClickThroughBlocker to version 0.1.10.6, the problem appears to be resolved after starting a new save. Will update again if the issue rears it's ugly head again.

Re-updating CTB does replicate the problem, rolling back does fix it.

Edited by Kerbalnaut #55487
Title edit

15 hours ago, Kerbalnaut #55487 said:

suspicions seems to have been confirmed - after rolling back the ClickThroughBlocker to version 0.1.10.6, the problem appears to be resolved after starting a new save. Will update again if the issue rears it's ugly head again.

Re-updating CTB does replicate the problem, rolling back does fix it

It is possible.    I’ll have to go through your log to see what’s going on

On 7/15/2020 at 8:37 AM, Kerbalnaut #55487 said:

I don't know if this is related to this issue but similar Exceptions are listed in following scene changes and in large numbers when returning from flight to editor - will show all Exceptions if required and requested. The only mod installed that i can glean from this exert seems to refer to the ClickThroughBlocker.

Thank you for the logs, I've found the problem and am fixing it now

See next post

Edited by linuxgurugamer

So I can't replicate this here.  What I found very interesting is that at the same place where the (single) exception from CBT occurs, there are also exceptions to the following:

• UnityEngine.Logger
  • KERBALISM.DB.KerbalismData (3x)
  • Part.UpdateMouseOver (5x)
  • KerbalAlarmClock.KerbalAlarmClock.UpdateDetails

So I'm curious why you picked on CBT as the culprit?  None of the other exceptions is at all related to CBT.  Have you written to each of the other mods listed above (Kerbalism & KerbalAlarmClock), considering they Kerbalism has three exceptions to the one in CBT?

Edited:

I did replicate it, but am still wondering why you pointed out just one of many exceptions.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

My suspicions seems to have been confirmed - after rolling back the ClickThroughBlocker to version 0.1.10.6, the problem appears to be resolved after starting a new save. Will update again if the issue rears it's ugly head again.

Re-updating CTB does replicate the problem, rolling back does fix it.

I was able to replicate the problem, it's not specific to 1.8.1

Can you please try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6ksnzy58nu4w6b/000_ClickThroughBlocker-0.1.10.11.zip?dl=0

and let me know if it fixes it

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

• UnityEngine.Logger
  • KERBALISM.DB.KerbalismData (3x)
  • Part.UpdateMouseOver (5x)
  • KerbalAlarmClock.KerbalAlarmClock.UpdateDetails

So I'm curious why you picked on CBT as the culprit?  None of the other exceptions is at all related to CBT.  Have you written to each of the other mods listed above (Kerbalism & KerbalAlarmClock), considering they Kerbalism has three exceptions to the one in CBT?

Edited:

I did replicate it, but am still wondering why you pointed out just one of many exceptions.

One reason and one reason alone - inexperience.

I wasn't picking on you or your mod, my apologies for not digging further. I noticed CTB when I was copying the list of mods for the log and didn't recognise it as one I'd manually installed, when i found that first exception at the moment in the log where the problem manifested in game, I didn't really understand what it was telling me but I did notice the similar looking 'ClickThrough' reference and chose to investigate that with rolling back the CTB mod. That worked so I assumed it was that.

I didn't look too much into the other exceptions further than noting their existence (I guess making another assumption that they would all be similar).

Historically I'm a purest when it comes to games, I play them as they were intended. I am also fairly new to KSP but couldn't resist the urge to play in our solar system (which I believe wouldn't be possible without this mod and others of yours so thank you for your efforts in creating them!) and there started my modding of this game.

I will test that link out shortly, thank you so much for taking a look into it. I will learn from this and investigate a bit more in depth if I come across any other bugs.

EDIT - recalling opening CKAN with my last install - which I messed up - hence the reinstall... upon opening CKAN it notified me of 2 mod updates - one of which was the CTB and one other I can't recall (possibly RO) - knowing it had been updated since I last had it working could have been why I stopped looking after finding that first exception.

edit

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I was able to replicate the problem, it's not specific to 1.8.1

Can you please try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6ksnzy58nu4w6b/000_ClickThroughBlocker-0.1.10.11.zip?dl=0

and let me know if it fixes it

Perfect! Started a test career and followed the steps mentioned in the question. It's back to normal now. Thanks so much linuxgurugamer!

Another question raised now regarding save games - I started one yesterday on the rolled back version of CTB, will I be able to continue that career save with this fix or will I have to start again?

I should have mentioned I only play on career mode too... hope that didn't slow your investigation - pretty damn quick fix if you ask me :D

10 minutes ago, Kerbalnaut #55487 said:

Perfect! Started a test career and followed the steps mentioned in the question. It's back to normal now. Thanks so much linuxgurugamer!

Another question raised now regarding save games - I started one yesterday on the rolled back version of CTB, will I be able to continue that career save with this fix or will I have to start again?

I should have mentioned I only play on career mode too... hope that didn't slow your investigation - pretty damn quick fix if you ask me :D

This does not affect the save files

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.