Will KSP2 use 2.x.x or 1.x.x in version names?

Shower thought I had today: Since KSP1 uses 1.x.x, and since KSP2 is the sequel to KSP1 (and ergo is one of the only real things that would warrant updating the first number), would this mean they would replace the version name scheme with 2.x.x to further remind this is the second iteration of KSP?

I don't generally know how this stuff goes, but I thought it'd be clever if 2.x.x

Not a new game, but a major iteration of an existing project. So it would makes sense to follow the 2.x.x versionning (which exist for that).

If it were a new game, it probably wouldn't be named KSP :p

KSP2 is a separate game made by a separate developer so it will probably go out as version 1.0.0 while KSP(1) continues  on as a completely independent piece of software with its own version.

Out of interest, does anyone know any game sequels that went from version 1.x.x to 2.0.0 when a sequel was released? I work in software development and that sounds really weird to me.

15 minutes ago, Okhin said:

Not a new game, but a major iteration of an existing project. So it would makes sense to follow the 2.x.x versionning (which exist for that).

If it were a new game, it probably wouldn't be named KSP :p

Ah, so all those FIFA/GTA/Halo/etc. sequels are just the same game then?

You have to buy the new game, it isn’t an update to an existing one. Try telling EA that you bought FIFA 1998 so that means you can get FIFA 20 for free because it’s just an update to the same game, and see how far you get...

Ok ok i didn't mean to spark an argument. I just wanted to share a random thought and stuff. The debate seems to be getting kinda heated (or, comparatively heated as far as KSP forum debates go). I'd really like it if we could just all collectively chill. I guess we'll just see what happens when it releases.

Edited by LittleBitMore
added tons of unnecessary sentences

2 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

You have to buy the new game, it isn’t an update to an existing one. Try telling EA that you bought FIFA 1998 so that means you can get FIFA 20 for free because it’s just an update to the same game, and see how far you get...

Most closed source software are new version of the previous one, and still, you have to pay to get them. try telling Apple that you should not pay for this new OS X version, just because it is an update. Or to Adobe. Or to Microsoft. or anything in the software you pay for world.

Numbering and versioning are not related to the business model.

But then, Crusader Kings 2 is on version 3.3.3 currently, so nothing makes sense anymore :)

4 hours ago, Okhin said:

Not a new game, but a major iteration of an existing project. So it would makes sense to follow the 2.x.x versionning (which exist for that)

But it is a new game and not just an iteration of KSP 1. It doesn't make sense for KSP 2 to be called version 2.0 despite actually being on version 1.0.

12 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

But it is a new game and not just an iteration of KSP 1. It doesn't make sense for KSP 2 to be called version 2.0 despite actually being on version 1.0.

Makes sense to me.  KSP is 1, KSP 2 is 2, etc.

And really, does it really matter?  Why even ask the question?  

3 hours ago, LittleBitMore said:

Ok ok i didn't mean to spark an argument. I just wanted to share a random thought and stuff. The debate seems to be getting kinda heated (or, comparatively heated as far as KSP forum debates go). I'd really like it if we could just all collectively chill. I guess we'll just see what happens when it releases.

this is nothing. I have seen worse. way worse. I will never talk of those times again *shivers*

no...

it was deleted from the forums. it was actually on one of my pages. the head moderator shot it down.

it was a conversation not technically legal by forum policies. I had no part in it it just happened.

Edited by epicfailure2020

10 hours ago, Okhin said:

Most closed source software are new version of the previous one, and still, you have to pay to get them. try telling Apple that you should not pay for this new OS X version, just because it is an update. Or to Adobe. Or to Microsoft. or anything in the software you pay for world.

Numbering and versioning are not related to the business model.

But then, Crusader Kings 2 is on version 3.3.3 currently, so nothing makes sense anymore :)

that's not how software versioning works. the "2" in the KSP 2 has nothing to do with version of the product, but with franchise and branding. it is just part of the title. ksp 2 is a new product and separate piece of software. it has its own separate versioning most likely being 1.0.0 at release. if you have a hard time understanding how this works, i recommend reading about software versioning on Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

Edited by Acid_Burn9

On 7/17/2020 at 5:04 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

KSP2 is a separate game made by a separate developer so it will probably go out as version 1.0.0 while KSP(1) continues  on as a completely independent piece of software with its own version.

Out of interest, does anyone know any game sequels that went from version 1.x.x to 2.0.0 when a sequel was released? I work in software development and that sounds really weird to me.

Ah, so all those FIFA/GTA/Halo/etc. sequels are just the same game then?

I say most software update the version numbers to the new version. 
This independent if the software is not free to upgrade or not. 

However the new version of software tend to be backward compatible and is an update to the old version.
This is rarely the case of games, most are at least partial story based and you reach the end of the story and you need to wait for the next game like an movie or tv show. Expansions and dlc blurs this a bit but Battlefield 1 is about WW1, BF 2 about WW2, its two different games, 
yes in some special cases you can continue with character from previous games and many game reuse the settings hopefully with new mechanics, not only the sports games but also games like civilization, ksp 2 will also fit here. 

Just checked version number of elder scroll online an 6 year old MMO, its version 1.0.0.1 :) Yes they have their own game patching system in the launcher 

It is both not a new game and a new game.

Not a new game:

1. Major iteration of an existing property.

2. Not a fundamentally new idea.

New Game:

1. New design house making it.

2. Sequel to an existing intellectual property.

I think its fair to say its both a new game and not a new game for the reasons above listed.

9 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

It is both not a new game and a new game.

Not a new game:

1. Major iteration of an existing property.

2. Not a fundamentally new idea.

New Game:

1. New design house making it.

2. Sequel to an existing intellectual property.

I think its fair to say its both a new game and not a new game for the reasons above listed.

Spoiler

I'd argue that it's a new game because

#1- It has significant portions of new/rewritten code that even in the beginning managed to break from KSP enough that one of the first things we heard was that existing KSP craft and saves won't be compatible.

#2- It's using significant amounts of new assets, textures, and features that weren't present on KSP.

#3- Many of these couldn't be added to KSP, or wouldn't perform well if added to KSP. Or would require rather complex and error-prone workarounds to utilize in the first place.

And I'd also argue that points 1 and 2 aren't really that strong; Shooters aren't a fundamentally new idea. But I'd be rather silly if i tried to argue that Mass Effect, Halo and COD were all the same game by virtue of their shooting mechanics. And those examples are intentional, because feeding into point 2. Playing ME1 vs ME2 or Halo Reach vs Halo 3 can feel like playing a different game at times even though they're just major iterations of existing IP. Even when you're controlling the same character, using the same weapons, in the same world!

Games are unique, because they're experienced actively instead of passively like a film or movie (Well...supposed to be; most big studios seem to forget that as of late). So it's actually rather easy to create very distinct experiences by just shifting a few sliders around once you have a solid foundation established. 

PS. I do actually see where you're coming from, but i just wanted to chime in. Friendly banter and all, because i don't think there's really a "Wrong" answer here.

Oh and as for the topic at hand ; I'm almost certain that KSP2 will use 1.X notation going from release. KSP is already on version 1.10, and the gap between KSP and KSP2 is only going to get wider as time goes on. So i don't think there's going to be as much confusion as people seem to be worried about.