[1.12.x] L-Tech Continued Release

linuxgurugamer

Just now, HebaruSan said:

That's because you're on Windows, where the filesystem is case insensitive and so it's impossible for the two folders to be extracted to disk as they are in the ZIP. Take a look at it on GitHub:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/L-Tech/tree/master/GameData/LTech/Parts/Science

Oh yuck.  Thanks, I'll fix it when my stream is done

15 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Oh yuck.  Thanks, I'll fix it when my stream is done

Want a pull request? I'm halfway through making everything say "Skylab" since that was the majority in the .cfg (and apparently also the correct capitalization of the real world object), just not sure if I've broken something.

... too late to say no:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/L-Tech/pull/2

Edited by HebaruSan

New release, 0.5.2.3

• Thanks to @HebaruSan for this
    • Fix capitalization of Skylab

You _might_ have to delete the SkyLab folder, or just delete and install the mod again

I have no idea how that happened, and it's been that way for a long time.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 10 months later...

Couple of suggestions since I was playing with this last night:

For the existing bug known issue with being unable to go back to the flight view if you close the PAW in camera view, is it possible/somewhat easy to have a toolbar option in ToolbarController that is a specific "back to flight view" option? I think it's actually CTB that has the similar thing I'm thinking of, which is a single-click option to do the "Clear Input Locks" action.

Science detection for the cameras:

With this one, I'm going to start with what I know exists, and move towards more speculative/more work stuff.

My understanding is that there's a set pool of science for each planet which can be "spent" by taking pictures. Right now, you've just got to take hundreds of pictures to actually spend that pool. What I'm proposing is a way to encourage more visually interesting screenshots/pictures/etc.

What exists now:
I know the L-Tech cameras can currently detect anomalies - it'll give you the name and the distance to the nearest anomaly. A first approximation would be to multiply the science value by 100x (keeping the pool in mind - not really any MORE science, but you can get it faster) if you're within <x>m of an anomaly. The assumption is that you're actually pointing the camera at the anomaly.

I assume this is "easy" (for certain values of easy, lol, yes I know "you just have to...") within the existing structure of the code - the pieces already exist as far as I know, you just have to add a bit of logic to run the anomaly detection, grab the output, and say "yup, it's within 500m, give some extra science for this picture."

What would be super neat-o and cool and will probably never happen because "are you nuts, Eppy?":

Do some basic detection of what's in the picture. Each ground scatter adds a point, a collectible ground scatter might add 3 points, each celestial object other than the current SOI adds 5 points (e.g. moons, asteroids, other planets - though you'd have to make sure they're visually interesting,) an anomaly adds 100 points, etc. Cap it at a certain value (maybe 200 points or 5 items of each category,) but it'd theoretically encourage interesting screenshots (although I'm sure it could also be gamed - but what can't?)

And just to make things interesting, here's a couple of screenshots I took last night with my L-Tech camera and how I'd score them:

Screenshot_4.png

Orbiting Sarnus from OPM. Beautiful picture, but a zero-pointer - nothing other than my SOI in view (though I'll bet that if I squinted hard, I could find Eeloo, Ovok, or Hale here.)

Screenshot_5.png

Landed on Ovok. Sarnus rising with Kerbol shining through its rings, and a lone "interesting rock" in the bottom of the pic, left of center (which may or may not be a collectible).

Score:

• 5 points for Sarnus
  • Possibly 5 points for Kerbol
  • 1 or 3 points for the "interesting rock" - depends on just how interesting it is. :D

Screenshot_7.png

A picture of the anomaly on Ovok. I never have figured out whether that was intentional, or a bug with how the anomalies are generated, but this thing has ALWAYS floated above the surface for me. It almost makes sense in context though. :)

Score:

• 100 points for the anomaly.
  • 1 or 3 points for the "interesting rock" in the background.

If I'd decided to do a bit more work for it, I could've gone around the right side of the monolith there and probably caught Sarnus in the view - would've been worth an extra 5 points, and highlights why something like this might be worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 10:43 AM, etmoonshade said:

For the existing bug known issue with being unable to go back to the flight view if you close the PAW in camera view, is it possible/somewhat easy to have a toolbar option in ToolbarController that is a specific "back to flight view" option? I think it's actually CTB that has the similar thing I'm thinking of, which is a single-click option to do the "Clear Input Locks" action.

It should already be there, use either the CAMERA_RESET (default is the backtic) or CAMERA_NEXT (default is V)

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.