[1.8.x-1.12.x]R-T-B's Kopernicus Unified "Bleeding Edge" Branch[REACTIVATED]

R-T-B

I'm not sure why but I got this to change.  I think it was from cheating the craft into orbit.  All the math goes haywire for a minute and I forgot to use rcs to fix that.  When I did, it goes to normal, including EC drop off.  I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner to this..... It still should be more than it is, but.... yeah....  I had to double check I didn't do something else to mess it up last night, but I didn't. 

1 hour ago, Nicky21 said:

I'm playing GPP with kopernikus 1.10 ( thank you for that by the way). Rescale 2.5x.

While the latest patch toned down the energy flow of a single ox-stat solar panel from 6.something to 0.350, a single battery still charges up in half a second. Something's not right here.

Thanks.  I think I'm pulling that build.  I'd advise reverting in the meantime, for all users who downloaded it.  Something is indeed very not right with the EC math and I really don't get it.  The old build works it's just buggy in extreme edge cases of multistar (angled stars close together in the view plane, really).

Will look at it again in the next few days (family stuff begins).

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, Emperor of Ilve said:

*1.10.1 enters the room*

Is it out?  We're version bound but I can make a build targeting it now.  Stand by...  no guarantees, naturally.

35 minutes ago, Emilius73 said:

I've heard it does work.

It might.  You tell me.  The next release I'm baking right now will let you run it, at least.

EDIT AND IT'S OUT  Let me know if 1.10.1 works as i have no idea, but given it's just bugfixes it SHOULD work:

Kopernicus R-T-B Unified "Bleeding Edge" Edition Release 6

This is R-T-B's "Bleeding Edge" branch of Kopernicus, intended to support the latest features, KSP editions, and also the latest bugs. Please keep in mind this branch may be more buggy than Prestja's mainline Kopernicus branch, but it also supports more KSP versions and has more features implemented for testing reasons. Many features that make it into mainline Kopernicus are born, tested, and trialed by fire here.

This is release 6. It contains the following changes:

1.) Rolled back the bad EC math in the update in Release 5

2.) Added a new, complete multistar support math system that works perfectly. It does this by limiting accepted light to the tracked star. Vessel heat/flux still consider multiple stars as usual. See the KSP forum thread for why this was done, and to comment on how well it works.

3.) Added Russian Localization, now vetted by locals.

4.) Extremely untested 1.10.1 support.

Please download the right output zip for your version. "191" zips are for 1.9.1, while "110" zips are for 1.10. This was a pretty heavy change, might want to check the EC math... it'll be high if anything, so it won't wreck savegames, but I'd appreciate reports.

Thanks and as always, report bugs!

-RTB

Some important technical commentary on this release and multistar support, BTW, please read:

It seems there are several assumptions done within the stock game engine that assume a single star.  This makes implementing multistar properly (without crazy bad math) hard to implement.  Let me try to explain.

KSP only allows a single star to be active at any given time.  Kopernicus tries to get around this with an elaborate "light shifter" system that "pulses" each star during a frame once, and tallies the ECs, heat flux, etc on the panel during that pulse, and then at least for ECs, the net result of ECs from every star pulse is the total.  The call for the light portion (the portion solar panels care about) rather than the flux/heat portion is called "ApplyPhysics), and unfortunately, it's way way too slow.  So slow in fact that the physics don't get applied in the same frame, and we get a Sun with the properties of a Red dwarf, or vice versa, or all sorts of crazy combinations and the math goes nuts.

Fortunately, the heat part, ApplyFlux, works quickly and fine.  This means that:

At least as of now, I can't do multistar light support.  Light accepted at the panel (and thus, contributing to EC) will be limited to the tracked body.  Flux/heat, as the game engine considers it, works fine and will apply like it always did, from all stars.  But the panels will only get ECs from the tracked body.  So track a smart body and don't run out of EC!

Fortunately, autotracking still works, because it can wait a few frames to decide what star to select without consequence.  So the panels still do auto pick the best body, if needed.

Edited by R-T-B

8 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

@R-T-B Are you planning or interested in continuing the Kopernicus Expansion continued?

I think that was taken over by @Vabien, who is doing pretty well over at his own github.  Footsteps are working in 1.9.1 anyways!

https://github.com/VabienArt/KopernicusExpansion-Continueder/releases

Edited by R-T-B

48 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Is it out?  We're version bound but I can make a build targeting it now.  Stand by...  no guarantees, naturally.

It might.  You tell me.  The next release I'm baking right now will let you run it, at least.

EDIT AND IT'S OUT  Let me know if 1.10.1 works as i have no idea, but given it's just bugfixes it SHOULD work:

Kopernicus R-T-B Unified "Bleeding Edge" Edition Release 6

This is R-T-B's "Bleeding Edge" branch of Kopernicus, intended to support the latest features, KSP editions, and also the latest bugs. Please keep in mind this branch may be more buggy than Prestja's mainline Kopernicus branch, but it also supports more KSP versions and has more features implemented for testing reasons. Many features that make it into mainline Kopernicus are born, tested, and trialed by fire here.

This is release 6. It contains the following changes:

1.) Rolled back the bad EC math in the update in Release 5

2.) Added a new, complete multistar support math system that works perfectly. It does this by limiting accepted light to the tracked star. Vessel heat/flux still consider multiple stars as usual. See the KSP forum thread for why this was done, and to comment on how well it works.

3.) Added Russian Localization, now vetted by locals.

4.) Extremely untested 1.10.1 support.

Please download the right output zip for your version. "191" zips are for 1.9.1, while "110" zips are for 1.10. This was a pretty heavy change, might want to check the EC math... it'll be high if anything, so it won't wreck savegames, but I'd appreciate reports.

Thanks and as always, report bugs!

-RTB

Some important technical commentary on this release and multistar support, BTW, please read:

It seems there are several assumptions done within the stock game engine that assume a single star.  This makes implementing multistar properly (without crazy bad math) hard to implement.  Let me try to explain.

KSP only allows a single star to be active at any given time.  Kopernicus tries to get around this with an elaborate "light shifter" system that "pulses" each star during a frame once, and tallies the ECs, heat flux, etc on the panel during that pulse, and then at least for ECs, the net result of ECs from every star pulse is the total.  The call for the light portion (the portion solar panels care about) rather than the flux/heat portion is called "ApplyPhysics), and unfortunately, it's way way too slow.  So slow in fact that the physics don't get applied in the same frame, and we get a Sun with the properties of a Red dwarf, or vice versa, or all sorts of crazy combinations and the math goes nuts.

Fortunately, the heat part, ApplyFlux, works quickly and fine.  This means that:

At least as of now, I can't do multistar light support.  Light accepted at the panel (and thus, contributing to EC) will be limited to the tracked body.  Flux/heat, as the game engine considers it, works fine and will apply like it always did, from all stars.  But the panels will only get ECs from the tracked body.  So track a smart body and don't run out of EC!

Fortunately, autotracking still works, because it can wait a few frames to decide what star to select without consequence.  So the panels still do auto pick the best body, if needed.

Great to see that new dev builds for this mod are being made so quickly! Back in the day Kopernicus would take 2-3 years or something for an update.

(I'm probably exaggerating, but you get my point.)

2 minutes ago, Emilius73 said:

Great to see that new dev builds for this mod are being made so quickly! Back in the day Kopernicus would take 2-3 years or something for an update.

Yeah  actually I made the "bleeding edge" edition for that reason.  This release tempo is nice, but way too fast for stable branch, lol.  This way users can pick.

So far for bleeding edge it's been mostly bloodless though.  Nice kraken...

Edited by R-T-B

Just now, R-T-B said:

Yeah  actually I made the "bleeding edge" edition for that reason.  This release tempo is nice, but way too fast for stable branch, lol.

So far for bleeding edge it's been mostly bloodless though.  Nice kraken...

Hope BE works with JNSQ, I'll make a separate instal for testing it. KSP isn't the same without it.

Edited by Emilius73

7 minutes ago, Emilius73 said:

R-T-B still has that "new maintainer" glow ;)

Very appreciated, just the same. If we want stable, we stick with what's on CKAN

26 minutes ago, Emilius73 said:

Hope BE works with JNSQ, I'll make a separate instal for testing it. KSP isn't the same without it.

JNSQ is what I run on my install when I game!  Granted I run 1.9.1 BE, but it is a good sign I think that it should work.

I have reports 1.10 works fine too, and 1.10.1 I have at least one report it LOADS.  Technically, not much should've changed there, so fingers crossed?

Edited by R-T-B

21 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

JNSQ is what I run on my install when I game!  Granted I run 1.9.1 BE, but it is a good sign I think that it should work.

I have reports 1.10 works fine too, and 1.10.1 I have at least one report it LOADS.  Technically, not much should've changed there, so fingers crossed?

I'm about to confirm the 1.10.1 *loading* as well. My install takes about 4.5 minutes ;)

[Edit] Confirmed loading! :D

Edited by Beetlecat

49 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

FWIW, 1.10.1 seems to be running Kopernicus and OPM just fine. I'm just a few minutes from getting ready to land on Wal.

I'm not using solar panels much though, so I can't speak to that part.

Two odd things, and I'm not sure if it's related to Kopernicus or to OPM (or even some other mod):

First, I'm seeing anomalies sitting RIGHT on the poles. Or rather, I'm seeing them there in SCANsat - when I actually landed, it wasn't there. Randoliths show up as expected.
(to clarify: Literally at +/-90 degrees latitude. I think it's latitude at least - I always get those mixed up :P)

Second, the randoliths don't give me tech on the non-stock planets.

I'm still digging around in configs trying to figure out where these things are defined, and don't see it.

Edited by etmoonshade

1 hour ago, etmoonshade said:

Second, the randoliths don't give me tech on the non-stock planets.

I'm still digging around in configs trying to figure out where these things are defined, and don't see it.

I'm unsure where they are defined either (new maintainer syndrome).  It's odd they don't give you tech though on nonstock worlds, this may be an old bug though because we didn't change anything with regards to them.  If anyone could test if this occurs in the stable 1.9.1 build, I'd be appreciative.  Catching up on work here but those details would help me log the bug in our issues database.

1 hour ago, etmoonshade said:

First, I'm seeing anomalies sitting RIGHT on the poles. Or rather, I'm seeing them there in SCANsat - when I actually landed, it wasn't there. Randoliths show up as expected.
(to clarify: Literally at +/-90 degrees latitude. I think it's latitude at least - I always get those mixed up :P)

The actual poles have anyways been odd (whatever you do, don't walk or drive on them, they are Kraken bait), but I've never heard of this.  It's a mostly harmless bug at least, but still, probably a bug.  I'll wait to enter that one until I can see how far back it stretches in versions, as well.

Edited by R-T-B

3 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

I'm unsure where they are defined either (new maintainer syndrome).  It's odd they don't give you tech though on nonstock worlds, this may be an old bug though because we didn't change anything with regards to them.  If anyone could test if this occurs in the stable 1.9.1 build, I'd be appreciative.  Catching up on work here but those details would help me log the bug in our issues database.

The actual poles have anyways been odd (whatever you do, don't walk on them, they are Kraken bait), but I've never heard of this.  It's a mostly harmless bug at least, but still, probably a bug.

Yeah, I remember staring into a star-filled fissure when I rolled up to where that one was supposed to be. There's a reason I only confirmed a single one even though I scanned a polar anomaly on at least 3 different planets. :D

It just seemed odd, since you'd think that anyone creating a planet pack would know about said weird behavior around the poles and not intentionally put an anomaly there - and definitely not three of them. Again, not sure whose fault it is, but it definitely seems potentially bug-like (e.g. invalid input getting set to 0 or 90 or something?)

3 minutes ago, etmoonshade said:

Yeah, I remember staring into a star-filled fissure when I rolled up to where that one was supposed to be. There's a reason I only confirmed a single one even though I scanned a polar anomaly on at least 3 different planets. :D

It just seemed odd, since you'd think that anyone creating a planet pack would know about said weird behavior around the poles and not intentionally put an anomaly there - and definitely not three of them. Again, not sure whose fault it is, but it definitely seems potentially bug-like (e.g. invalid input getting set to 0 or 90 or something?)

Yeah, if we can trace where it starts in Kopernicus releases, we can decide with better certainity if it's a Kopernicus bug, or a SCANsat/Stock bug.  Basically say who needs to work on what.  There's no doubt it's misbehaving from what the user would expect, though.

You don't need to do any more testing necessarily, I have a few testers for it, or I'll get to it tomorrow.  Just enjoy the game and see what else you find.

Edited by R-T-B

If that body is templated from moho, that could be an issue from trying to remove anomalies. God knows how kopernicus handles that, and anomalies in general so if anybody knows that'd be greaaaat

11 minutes ago, etmoonshade said:

Well, Wal has a Moho template. Do you know what other bodies had that issue?

Just now, Vabien said:

If that body is templated from moho, that could be an issue from trying to remove anomalies. God knows how kopernicus handles that, and anomalies in general so if anybody knows that'd be greaaaat

Funny you should say that, because I think they were templated from Moho.

... yup. Slate and Wal, specifically. I could've sworn I scanned a third one, but the only other one I landed at was Tekto, which is templated from Laythe. Shame I shut down for the night (it takes a while to load all my mods, and it's bedtime,) but I'll check on my Tekto map in the morning and see if I've got an anomaly at the pole there as well.

I haven't altered anything with Moho-templating.  I did alter the Jool-templating code in a 1.10 forward thinking way: (it now basically builds a "non-newshader Jool" from scratch), but that definitely isn't messing with Moho.

My mind wanders.  Messing with Moho sounds like a Kerbal band,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.