[1.8.x-1.12.x]R-T-B's Kopernicus Unified "Bleeding Edge" Branch[REACTIVATED]

R-T-B

11 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Can people who are willing to test for me try a quick bench of the following?
Take bleeding edge latest release, and JNSQ.  Run with land scatters enabled scatters 100%.  You WILL lag.  See how bad (in FPS).  report.  Then compare with this old optimization release, Release 37 of the bleeding edge.

If you get a good result (net gain in FPS to Release 37), please compare then more standard packs with Release 37 vs the modern Bleeding Edge.  I'm trying to gauge whether or not reverting the optimizations in Release 37 was the correct thing to do.

Should be able to give it a quick test this evening.

Here's some results Ryzen 5 3600/RTX 2060 Super/64GB Ram/Windows 10.  Barebones install: Kopernicus and Planet Mod(s) in KSP 1.9.1.  Playing at 4k

JNSQ:

Release 37: 45 fps in Kerbin's atmosphere; 60 fps at all altitudes of space.  60fps at all altitudes of the Mun and Minmus

Release 39: Same as Release 37

Stock + OPM + MPE + GEP

Release 37: 60 FPS in all situations

Release 39: 60 FPS until near scatter on Mun and then dipped between 45-55 fps as I was crashing my command pod into the surface.

12 hours ago, hemeac said:

45-55 fps as I was crashing my command pod into the surface.

This is mainly what I was seeking to eliminate, the near terrain scatter (surface object) lag.  It looks like it worked, more or less?  Maybe removing this optimization was the wrong way to go.

23 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

This is mainly what I was seeking to eliminate, the near terrain scatter (surface object) lag.  It looks like it worked, more or less?  Maybe removing this optimization was the wrong way to go.

I was happy with the performance in 37.  Did you remove because some people were having issues with it?  Is it possible to add a toggle in the options to enable/disable?

15 minutes ago, hemeac said:

I was happy with the performance in 37.  Did you remove because some people were having issues with it?  Is it possible to add a toggle in the options to enable/disable?

There was one report of performance degradation from those changes/optimizations that initially seemed quite real, but I do now think that user was having unrelated issues.  I now doubt there is any reason to avoid brining it back.  There are some more optimizations I’d like to test too for scatters.  Will test them together likely next release on BE.

Edited by R-T-B

This is R-T-B's "Bleeding Edge" branch of Kopernicus, intended to support the latest features, KSP editions, and also the latest bugs. Please keep in mind this branch may be more buggy than Prestja's mainline Kopernicus branch, but it also supports more KSP versions and has more features implemented for testing reasons. Many features that make it into mainline Kopernicus are born, tested, and trialed by fire here.

This is release 40. It contains the following changes:

1.) Another attempt at the experimental optimizations for land-scatters in release 37. I believe they are now ready for primetime.

Known Bugs:

1.) None known as of now, however that does not mean there is none! Report if you find any!

Please download the right output zip for your version. "191" zips are for 1.9.1, "1101" for 1.10.1, etc.

Thanks and as always, report bugs!

-RTB

Did another run with 40, but this time had added visual mods to the Stock + OPM + GEP + MPE setup and turned off V-Sync.  I was at about 70fps in the Mun's orbit and dipped to about 55 fps when I landed.  I quicksaved and quickloaded as the terrain looked a bit glitchy (don't think this was Kopernicus related).  After the reload it was about 60 fps.

5 hours ago, hemeac said:

Did another run with 40, but this time had added visual mods to the Stock + OPM + GEP + MPE setup and turned off V-Sync.  I was at about 70fps in the Mun's orbit and dipped to about 55 fps when I landed.  I quicksaved and quickloaded as the terrain looked a bit glitchy (don't think this was Kopernicus related).  After the reload it was about 60 fps.

Sounds about right.  The optimizations are working then.  They don't have a major impact, and only really affect it in near scatter scenarios, but I will take what I can get, and continue to whittle away at it.

I don't think the glitchy terrain was Kopernicus either but interesting all the same.  Let me know if you experience it frequently.  Sounds sort of like stock weirdness.

Edited by R-T-B

Hi, Just downloaded this edtion of Kopernicus and have had a funny bug with solar panels appear, they will no longer track on a space station to the solar body unless you are actually with the station.  Now have two station I have to babysit to make sure they remain powered lol.  Any fixes available for this??  Cheers

3 hours ago, Skarlinger said:

Hi, Just downloaded this edtion of Kopernicus and have had a funny bug with solar panels appear, they will no longer track on a space station to the solar body unless you are actually with the station.  Now have two station I have to babysit to make sure they remain powered lol.  Any fixes available for this??  Cheers

I haven't changed anything with the solar code recently (just patcher config files but they should not be an issue).  What was the last release this worked on for you, and can you provide your KSP.log please? (from game root directory).

Edited by R-T-B

This is R-T-B's "Bleeding Edge" branch of Kopernicus, intended to support the latest features, KSP editions, and also the latest bugs. Please keep in mind this branch may be more buggy than Prestja's mainline Kopernicus branch, but it also supports more KSP versions and has more features implemented for testing reasons. Many features that make it into mainline Kopernicus are born, tested, and trialed by fire here.

This is release 41. It contains the following changes:

1.) Added a culling range to land scatters, by default at 10km, configurable by the Kopernicus_Config.cfg parameter ScatterCullDistance. Please test performance benefits and also, if the culling is working properly.

Known Bugs:

1.) None known as of now, however that does not mean there is none! Report if you find any!

Please download the right output zip for your version. "191" zips are for 1.9.1, "1101" for 1.10.1, etc.

-RTB

11 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I haven't changed anything with the solar code recently (just patcher config files but they should not be an issue).  What was the last release this worked on for you, and can you provide your KSP.log please? (from game root directory).

The version I think was 1.9.1-3 with no issue on KSP 1.10.1. I've noticed that when I have been loading my older vessels an error is coming up saying "Vessel is missing part module KopernicusSolarPanelsFixer".  For any existing vessels in the save file, would this be the issue, and if so would it simply be adding in a line or two to each of the Vessel files??  Did you just want he Kopernicus logs??  Not sure on best way to attach a file for here

8 minutes ago, Skarlinger said:

The version I think was 1.9.1-3 with no issue on KSP 1.10.1. I've noticed that when I have been loading my older vessels an error is coming up saying "Vessel is missing part module KopernicusSolarPanelsFixer".  For any existing vessels in the save file, would this be the issue, and if so would it simply be adding in a line or two to each of the Vessel files??  Did you just want he Kopernicus logs??  Not sure on best way to attach a file for here

Oh, it sounds like you have an old save.  We did do some solar changes in the latest Kopernicus for 1.9.1 forward (mainly to support multiple stars in some planet packs properly).  In flight vessels may be affected, as will old designs if not reloaded and resaved.  You can ignore the warnings while doing so.

Let me know if that helps your issues.  Keep in mind vessels affected by this bug in flight basically need to land before they can be fixed, or edited in the savegame .sfs in some way (I don't really know how you'd go about it, but basically you need to replace the ModuleDeployableSolarPanel and/or KopernicusSolarPanelsFixer to KopernicusSolarPanels

A simpler work around if you are using a pack with only one star is to disable the multistar support entirely.  This can in theory be accomplished by putting the following in a .cfg file in your Kopernicus/Config folder.  Here's what you'd need to do, more or less:

Open notepad, paste the following in it:

@PART:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]]:FINAL
{
    useKopernicusSolarPanels = False
}

save it as type "all files" in GameData/Kopernicus/Config.  File name can be anything that ends in .cfg, example: SolarPanelSingleStarFix.cfg

If windows doesn't let you save it there, save it to your desktop first, then move it.

Edited by R-T-B

On 10/9/2020 at 3:53 PM, R-T-B said:

This is release 41. It contains the following changes:

1.) Added a culling range to land scatters, by default at 10km, configurable by the Kopernicus_Config.cfg parameter ScatterCullDistance. Please test performance benefits and also, if the culling is working properly.

Known Bugs:

-RTB

It looks like CKAN isn't getting updated with the BE releases - I'm on 28 right now.

Not sure if this is intentional or not.

1 hour ago, etmoonshade said:

It looks like CKAN isn't getting updated with the BE releases - I'm on 28 right now.

Not sure if this is intentional or not.

If you installed it long enough ago, you might have one with the invalid "Kopernicus_BE" identifier (underscores aren't allowed). The current ones are "Kopernicus-BE". If you uninstall and then install again, you should get onto the newer stream.

Just now, HebaruSan said:

If you installed it long enough ago, you might have one with the invalid "Kopernicus_BE" identifier (underscores aren't allowed). The current ones are "Kopernicus-BE". If you uninstall and then install again, you should get onto the newer stream.

gdi

Yes, that's exactly it. I used it pretty much immediately, because R-T-B did it at my request.

I'll hit it up after I'm done streaming - thanks @HebaruSan

ckan.exe ksp default auto
	ckan.exe repo add Kopernicus_BE http://glacialsoftware.net/CKAN/Kopernicus_BE.tar.gz
	ckan.exe update
	ckan.exe cache reset
	ckan.exe install --headless --allow-incompatible --no-recommends Kopernicus-BE

This is what I use to install this Kopernicus dev branch on KSP 1.10.1, at the command line.

If you want to force an upgrade just type:

ckan.exe upgrade Kopernicus-BE

maybe can be also useful for some of you!

Edited by pmborg

3 hours ago, etmoonshade said:

gdi

Yes, that's exactly it. I used it pretty much immediately, because R-T-B did it at my request.

I'll hit it up after I'm done streaming - thanks @HebaruSan

Yep, I think I warned you about this long ago.  All good, just uninstall and reinstall. ;)

2 hours ago, pmborg said:

ckan.exe ksp default auto
	ckan.exe repo add Kopernicus_BE http://glacialsoftware.net/CKAN/Kopernicus_BE.tar.gz
	ckan.exe update
	ckan.exe cache reset
	ckan.exe install --headless --allow-incompatible --no-recommends Kopernicus-BE

This is what I use to install this Kopernicus dev branch on KSP 1.10.1, at the command line.

If you want to force an upgrade just type:

ckan.exe upgrade Kopernicus-BE

maybe can be also useful for some of you!

This actually is really handy for automation of the process, thanks for sharing!

On 9/19/2020 at 8:17 PM, R-T-B said:

I just pushed some changes requested from the CKAN folks.  It may make you reinstall things, but it's really the same release.  This concludes our public service announcement.

1 minute ago, R-T-B said:

Yep, I think I warned you about this long ago.  All good, just uninstall and reinstall. ;)

This actually is really handy for automation of the process, thanks for sharing!

I don't think you specified what it actually was, so I figured it was what I'd already done at that point... whatever it was. :V

I know I had to uninstall/reinstall for something.

22 minutes ago, etmoonshade said:

I don't think you specified what it actually was, so I figured it was what I'd already done at that point... whatever it was. :V

I know I had to uninstall/reinstall for something.

lol, I was pretty vague.  All good, assume you figured it out now?

3 hours ago, DeveloperKitty said:

For some reason this mod creates a lot of lag when near a bodys surface. Uninstalling it is the only fix. 

It's land scatters.  The code for them has been bad since before I took over.  I've been working on optimizing them but they certainly are still problematic.  I've heard setting culling distance for them in Kopernicus_config.cfg to 5000 helps a bit.

Alternatively, you can turn them off in KSP settings to really help improve performance.

9 hours ago, TheElementalOrca said:

How do I convert it to 1.10.x?

We only support 1.10.1 now, but you just download the zip file from releases with "_1101_" in the name for that.

I am unsure what you would do for CKAN.

Edited by R-T-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.