[1.8.x-1.12.x]R-T-B's Kopernicus Unified "Bleeding Edge" Branch[REACTIVATED]

R-T-B

If you insist...

@R-T-B R-T-B released this 12 minutes ago

This is R-T-B's "Bleeding Edge" branch of Kopernicus, intended to support the latest features, KSP editions, and also the latest bugs. Please keep in mind this branch may be more buggy than Prestja's mainline Kopernicus branch, but it also supports more KSP versions and has more features implemented for testing reasons. Many features that make it into mainline Kopernicus are born, tested, and trialed by fire here.

This is release 69. It contains the following changes:

1.) A internal nullref in the comet spawning subsystem has been fixed.

Known Bugs:

1.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely. It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

2.) When zooming out all the way in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball and sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

3.) The ring shader is broken in OpenGL environments. This is a hopefully temporary setback.

Please download the right output zip for your version. "1.9.1" zips are for 1.9.1, "1.10.1" for 1.10.1, "1.11.0" for 1.11.0, etc.

Thanks and as always, report bugs!

-RTB

26 minutes ago, Wolves_Hero said:

Don't worked on v1.11.1 anymore, can't go back v1.11 only v1.10.1 on beta. I can't play KSP anymore.

Coming up, though you should be able to go back to v1.11 if you select the right release.  Just use this though, when it pops up on CKAN.

This is R-T-B's "Bleeding Edge" branch of Kopernicus, intended to support the latest features, KSP editions, and also the latest bugs. Please keep in mind this branch may be more buggy than Prestja's mainline Kopernicus branch, but it also supports more KSP versions and has more features implemented for testing reasons. Many features that make it into mainline Kopernicus are born, tested, and trialed by fire here.

This is release 70. It contains the following changes:

1.) Support for 1.11.1 added.  We have no idea what bugs may lurk, so be careful.

2.) As is traditional, we only support latest patch releases. Support for 1.11.0 dropped. Stay on Release 70 if you need this.

Known Bugs:

1.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely. It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

2.) When zooming out all the way in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball and sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

3.) The ring shader is broken in OpenGL environments. This is a hopefully temporary setback.

Please download the right output zip for your version. "1.9.1" zips are for 1.9.1, "1.10.1" for 1.10.1, "1.11.0" for 1.11.0, etc.

-RTB

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

Coming up, though you should be able to go back to v1.11 if you select the right release.  Just use this though, when it pops up on CKAN.

This is release 70. It contains the following changes:

1.) Support for 1.11.1 added.  We have no idea what bugs may lurk, so be careful.

2.) As is traditional, we only support latest patch releases. Support for 1.11.0 dropped. Stay on Release 70 if you need this.

Known Bugs:

-RTB

Wow, that was quick! You the real MVP bro

2 hours ago, Kwebib said:

Unfortunately, we didn't get to stay on 69 for very long.

lol, sorry about that, but they dropped a release on my head (it was out earlier, but my provider, GOG.com, took some time to push it).

Edited by R-T-B

3 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

Rapid iteration? Elon Musk Approves.

obUFOO8.jpg?2

I've always been part of the "Release often, fix often" club.  Didn't know Elon was but makes sense lol.

As you can see, it works pretty well and you don't have to update unless you are actually having an issue, so it's up to you!

Oh yeah, and btw:

This is release 71.  It contains the following changes:

1.) Gasgiant (Jool Templated) bodies had small visual glitches with their rim shaders in multistar situations. This has been fixed.

2.) Bodies no longer just pick the closest star for their rim shader, but actually do an inverse square luminosity calculation based on luminosity and distance.

3.) The PQSLoader on 1.8.1 was badly bugged. Most bodies couldn't load. This has been fixed.

Known Bugs:

-RTB

Edited by R-T-B

so now that this is all happy with 1.11.1 .... what is the best planet pack, in your opinion *that does not replace the stock system but instead adds a distant star/planets* - I'm using KSP Interstellar, and I want a good reason to use the alcubierre drives :)

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I've always been part of the "Release often, fix often" club.  Didn't know Elon was but makes sense lol.

As you can see, it works pretty well and you don't have to update unless you are actually having an issue, so it's up to you!

Oh yeah, and btw:

This is release 71.  It contains the following changes:

1.) Gasgiant (Jool Templated) bodies had small visual glitches with their rim shaders in multistar situations. This has been fixed.

2.) Bodies no longer just pick the closest star for their rim shader, but actually do an inverse square luminosity calculation based on luminosity and distance.

3.) The PQSLoader on 1.8.1 was badly bugged. Most bodies couldn't load. This has been fixed.

Known Bugs:

-RTB

The update that came out on steam for KSP today or later yesterday i think may have broke my kopernicus, have you noticed anything or is it just me? or is what i'm replying to here right now the fix for that?

18 minutes ago, JSlone said:

The update that came out on steam for KSP today or later yesterday i think may have broke my kopernicus, have you noticed anything or is it just me? or is what i'm replying to here right now the fix for that?

Versions 70 and up work with 1.11.1.

6 minutes ago, Calvin Kerman said:

Versions 70 and up work with 1.11.1.

Ya it was working fine for me, i closed my game yesterday, hit the update button on steam. woke up today and i had a notice saying Kopernicus doesn't work with this addition of KSP don't load save games and had a bunch of nyan cats flying around.

Edited by JSlone

3 hours ago, JSlone said:

Ya it was working fine for me, i closed my game yesterday, hit the update button on steam. woke up today and i had a notice saying Kopernicus doesn't work with this addition of KSP don't load save games and had a bunch of nyan cats flying around.

Updating to latest release for 1.11.1 will fix that.

Since we build to a specific version, this will happen every release, just FYI.

Edited by R-T-B

This is release 72. It contains the following changes:

1.) A glitch in which all stars were being treated as equal brightness in the inverse square law distance calc for rimshaders has been fixed.

2.) Ultra shaders causing bugs on some planetary oceans has been fixed.

3.) The old obsolete normal map file has been removed from the release zip.

Known Bugs:

-RTB

As mentioned here

I am considering abandoning Kopernicus's buggy implementation for custom comet control that I have been working on on the side here (honestly, it isn't going well) and advising users to use Custom Comets should they need more control over comets or asteroids.

This would allow us to push 1.10.1 to stable in the very near future, if not immediately.  I may do some minor Jool shader work but that'd be it.

Thoughts?  Drawbacks?  I didn't know this project existed until today and I'd like to avoid duplication of efforts.  My idea is to provide a simple toggle that users could use to shut off Kopernicus's asteroid generator, and opt for an external one, like above.

The toggle will be added next release regardless to support Custom Comets' efforts, but I'm wondering if I should just say "this is worthless" and throw in the towel on comet support finally, since someone has largely done what I intended for control already in an external, non-buggy mod.

EDIT:  On that note:

This is release 73. It contains the following changes:

1.) We now support disabling Kopernicus Asteroid Control entirely (for external modpacks like Custom Asteroids) by setting Kopernicus_Config.cfg parameter UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = False.

Known Bugs:

-RTB

Edited by R-T-B

Personally, I removed all the support for asteroid/comet control for third party mods in OPM in favour of using, solely, Kopernicus' implementation because it's just another mod that has to be compatible with whatever version of Kopernicus you're supporting etc etc.

8 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Personally, I removed all the support for asteroid/comet control for third party mods in OPM in favour of using, solely, Kopernicus' implementation because it's just another mod that has to be compatible with whatever version of Kopernicus you're supporting etc etc.

I think this is a pretty good argument, but on the other hand why reinvent the wheel? If there's another mod that does the same thing but better then wouldn't it be better to refer people to that (or perhaps even bundle or integrate it into Kopernicus, with @Starstrider42's permission of course ) rather than have @R-T-B feel obligated to create what sounds like it would be the same thing? 

Personally I don't really care about asteroids so it would make no difference to me, but I can see the value of either point.

Edited by Black-Two-

Could you explain (like in 1 sentence) what the effect of disabeling would be? Because

13 minutes ago, Black-Two- said:

Personally I don't really care much about asteroids but I can see the value of either point,

And I think this is an interesting discussion. Have had these kind of discussions irl, thank god there's no money involved:D

39 minutes ago, modus said:

Could you explain (like in 1 sentence) what the effect of disabeling would be?

At the moment disabling the generator without installing a modpack to replace it would mean no asteroids or comets at all.

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

I can see that.  I guess it's just that I keep hitting roadblocks with comets, and we have to weigh against the time sink they have seemingly become,

Might be a dumb question, I'm fairly new to playing with mods. I'm wondering how to rollback KSP 1.11.9 to 1.11.1 so I can play with this mod again. Through the Steam menus, 1.10 is the most recent old version I can install. There is no option for "last stable version" or anything like that. Rolled all the way back to 1.9.1 so I could use the non-Bleeding Edge Kopernicus but too many of the other mods I use that are updated for 1.11 don't seem to be working in 1.9.1. Thanks in advance and apologies for being a pleb

Edit: or is there a way to get Bleeding Edge/Parallax to work with 1.11.9?

Edited by IV_Aerospace
Additional question

As someone who rarely visits asteroids and has never visited a comet, the ability to disable asteroid generation (and the attendant computational overhead and inflated file save size) while still being able to use a fully upgraded Tracking Station would be seen as a feature.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.