[1.8.x-1.12.x]R-T-B's Kopernicus Unified "Bleeding Edge" Branch[REACTIVATED]

R-T-B

1 hour ago, IV_Aerospace said:

Might be a dumb question, I'm fairly new to playing with mods. I'm wondering how to rollback KSP 1.11.9 to 1.11.1 so I can play with this mod again. Through the Steam menus, 1.10 is the most recent old version I can install. There is no option for "last stable version" or anything like that. Rolled all the way back to 1.9.1 so I could use the non-Bleeding Edge Kopernicus but too many of the other mods I use that are updated for 1.11 don't seem to be working in 1.9.1. Thanks in advance and apologies for being a pleb

Edit: or is there a way to get Bleeding Edge/Parallax to work with 1.11.9?

It's not a dumb question.  Some suggestions:

1. There is no KSP 1.11.9.  The latest KSP version is 1.11.1.
  2. Never, ever, play on the downloaded version from Steam.  Always copy the Steam version from wherever you download it and save it somewhere else.   Call this secondary copy your "KSP 1.x.y Clean" version.  Duplicate this clean version as many times as you wish for different mod collections (e.g. I call these copies "KSP 1.10.1 JNSQ" or "KSP 1.9.1 GPP" based on the planet packs I use).  Mod and play these tertiary copies.  This way, Steam won't overwrite your game and mods installs unexpectedly and you always have a clean copy of your favorite version .
  3. Disable Steam's automatic (sneaky) download of new versions by opening the Steam properties dialog for KSP and going to the Betas tab.  Select "None" from the first field.  This way you control what and when to download from Steam.  Not all updates are created equal and, as you've discovered, you might not want the latest and greatest until your mods catch up.
  4. Steam will only list the latest version of the game within each major (1.x) release, so 1.11.0 was replaced by 1.11.1.  If you had kept a copy, as suggested above, you'd be able to rollback to 1.11.0.
  5. If you use CKAN (which I generally recommend you do) or download your mods manually, you can often select which versions of the mod you download and install.  Most mod authors will keep older versions on their GItHub pages.  You might have to do some detective work to find the ones you're looking for.  Check the KSP forum pages, particularly the original post, for a mod's release repository (often GitHub).

You might have been caught out this time but if you follow these steps, you'll never suffer from it again.  YMMV.

now that I've got kopernicus installed on 1.11.1, I'm noticing something interesting - AVP's clouds no longer render on any planet.  Is this a known issue?  Is there a workaround?  or do I just uninstall AVP and go back to plain-vanilla EVE?  Or will that also have the same problem?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

This is R-T-B's "Bleeding Edge" branch of Kopernicus, intended to support the latest features, KSP editions, and also the latest bugs. Please keep in mind this branch may be more buggy than Prestja's mainline Kopernicus branch, but it also supports more KSP versions and has more features implemented for testing reasons. Many features that make it into mainline Kopernicus are born, tested, and trialed by fire here.

This is release 74. It contains the following changes:

1.) Some more atmorim fixes, now bodies with multiple MaterialSetDirections correctly find their atmorim targets.

2.) A "buildnumber.txt" file has been added to the plugins directory of the zip to aid in version identification.

Known Bugs:

1.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely. It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

2.) When zooming out all the way in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball and sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

3.) The ring shader is broken in OpenGL environments. This is a hopefully temporary setback.

Please download the right output zip for your version. "1.9.1" zips are for 1.9.1, "1.10.1" for 1.10.1, "1.11.0" for 1.11.0, etc.

Thanks and as always, report bugs!

-RTB

1 hour ago, ss8913 said:

now that I've got kopernicus installed on 1.11.1, I'm noticing something interesting - AVP's clouds no longer render on any planet.  Is this a known issue?  Is there a workaround?  or do I just uninstall AVP and go back to plain-vanilla EVE?  Or will that also have the same problem?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

Do you have EVE and Scatterer?  Try latest release of Kopernicus as well, in case it was a material issue or something.

5 hours ago, Fletch4 said:

When you go to download this off github so that parallax will work and see that it got updated for 1.11 10 hours ago

I update all the time.  Don't take updating as a need, I just fix minor(sometimes, rarely, major)  bugs.

@R-T-B A bit of clarity please?

Would omitting comets/asteroid from Kopernicus management simply default to them appearing when/where/how stock decides to make them, including size/mass/missions?  If so, then planet packs would need to be sure they didn't sweep them with re-positioned planets, but other than that no big deal, yes?   If so, Im all in favor of that, since it minimizes the already complex job, and there is already a mod that can handle customized comets etc.  Seems sense to not duplicate someone else's functionality.

But for resize packs, would resize mod authors need to manage comets/asteroids if Kopernicus doesn't?  What I mean: would the comets. etc appear in the places where they would in stock, meaning they would be way out of place (close int) and smaller than they should be with the new scaling in place?  If so, it would be up to mod authors to do the resize/relocation/vectoring of these bodies, yes?  Is there any mod that already does this?

In general, I am in favor of simplifying the design, and reducing entanglement with complex stock systems - kind of like the Unix philosophy: do one thing and do it well, and take input from others and allow others to accept your output, so pipelines can be made without having to rewrite entire systems when only one component changes.

So if this can be left out, and the product is a stable release, I say leave it out.  Maybe set it aside as an enhancement request, or (CKAN) recommend use of a separate mod for asteroid and comet creation/management and interfacing with stock for those bodies.

Edited by Murdabenne

I've had an issue with the last two versions of Kopernicus. Every time I entered time warp (not physwarp), with severity depending on the level of time warp I enter, my orbits shift slightly radial out in a fixed direction. I only noticed this after several voyages missed their destination entirely despite originally matching up
This applies to all vessels and I have thoroughly isolated Kopernicus as the issue

45 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Would omitting comets/asteroid from Kopernicus management simply default to them appearing when/where/how stock decides to make them, including size/mass/missions?

There would be an option to use the stock spawner (which obviously only works for stockalike systems), the Kopernicus Spawner (which allows Customizable Asteroids but not control over comets beyond a "comet percentage," and breaks Sentinel missions), or an external spawner (like a mod ala Custom Asteroids), or no spawner at all (no asteroids or comets).

That would be the extent of the control.  Essentially, we'd provide facilities for use of other mods to take over control of discoverable objects without "colliding" with us, but not control comets ourselves "built-in" beyond the very primitive control we already have.

The more I think about it, the more I think this may be the way I want to go.  I've already done part of the legwork.  We won't drop our official support for Asteroid and Comet control, but expanding it is presently on the backburner (note I'm not saying never will happen) in favor of this modular system to allow us to push 1.10.1 and 1.11 to stable (I feel they are nearly ready otherwise).

Sound good to everyone?  If anyone has a serious objection, speak now, and justify it please.

23 minutes ago, Kirbin Kerman said:

I've had an issue with the last two versions of Kopernicus. Every time I entered time warp (not physwarp), with severity depending on the level of time warp I enter, my orbits shift slightly radial out in a fixed direction. I only noticed this after several voyages missed their destination entirely despite originally matching up
This applies to all vessels and I have thoroughly isolated Kopernicus as the issue

Has anyone else experienced this?  Sounds pretty severe if it's true.

Can I get a modlist from you and a KSP.log from when this occurs?  I certainly would like to try to replicate this, but I need logs to do that properly (and understand what's happening).

Edited by R-T-B

22 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

There would be an option to use the stock spawner (which obviously only works for stockalike systems), the Kopernicus Spawner (which allows Customizable Asteroids but not control over comets beyond a "comet percentage," and breaks Sentinel missions), or an external spawner (like a mod ala Custom Asteroids), or no spawner at all (no asteroids or comets).

That would be the extent of the control.  Essentially, we'd provide facilities for use of other mods to take over control of discoverable objects without "colliding" with us, but not control comets ourselves "built-in" beyond the very primitive control we already have.

So without a mod affecting Asteroids/comets, it would behave like stock? 

58 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

So without a mod affecting Asteroids/comets, it would behave like stock? 

Basically, out of the box, yes.  Much like installing Kopernicus alone does very little / nothing.

Edited by R-T-B

That is the best answer - leave the specifics of comets/asteroids up to the pack developer and/or other mods. Basically, this gives the pack/mod makers a canvas and basic tools to add/move stars, planets and moons, and that starts with stock, and anything past that is up to them.  Otherwise you risk writing an entire pack and building it in to Kopernicus, which would make forward versions and bug fixes a lot more complex (and slow and buggy)

On 1/31/2021 at 3:42 PM, R-T-B said:

This is R-T-B's "Bleeding Edge" branch of Kopernicus, intended to support the latest features, KSP editions, and also the latest bugs. Please keep in mind this branch may be more buggy than Prestja's mainline Kopernicus branch, but it also supports more KSP versions and has more features implemented for testing reasons. Many features that make it into mainline Kopernicus are born, tested, and trialed by fire here.

This is release 74. It contains the following changes:

1.) Some more atmorim fixes, now bodies with multiple MaterialSetDirections correctly find their atmorim targets.

2.) A "buildnumber.txt" file has been added to the plugins directory of the zip to aid in version identification.

Known Bugs:

1.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely. It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

2.) When zooming out all the way in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball and sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

3.) The ring shader is broken in OpenGL environments. This is a hopefully temporary setback.

Please download the right output zip for your version. "1.9.1" zips are for 1.9.1, "1.10.1" for 1.10.1, "1.11.0" for 1.11.0, etc.

-RTB

Do you have EVE and Scatterer?  Try latest release of Kopernicus as well, in case it was a material issue or something.

I update all the time.  Don't take updating as a need, I just fix minor(sometimes, rarely, major)  bugs.

yes, AVP requires EVE and scatterer as dependencies.  It was all working properly before the kopernicus install.  I'd do more exhaustive empirical testing myself if it didn't take KSP 15 minutes per load on this 7200rpm disk... :)

3 hours ago, ss8913 said:

yes, AVP requires EVE and scatterer as dependencies.  It was all working properly before the kopernicus install.  I'd do more exhaustive empirical testing myself if it didn't take KSP 15 minutes per load on this 7200rpm disk... :)

OK, I found the problem.. the new Vulture planet pack (very good btw) references a texture in one of its configs *that only exists in Eve's stock planets configuration* which is distributed separately (on CKAN) from the main EVE - AVP conflicts with this, so CKAN does not install the EVE stock config package, thus making a texture unavailable to Vulture; one unavailable texture causes the EVE engine to not load any clouds at all for any planet.  The solution is to extract the BoulderCo/Atmospheres/Textures/ folder from the EVE distribution and copy that into GameData, then restart KSP.

This is not an issue for a standard EVE install, but if you want to use Kopernicus + Vulture + AVP, this ^^^ is how you make it work.

8 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Sound good to everyone?  If anyone has a serious objection, speak now, and justify it please.

Sounds good to me (a simple end user).

What would the default setting be?

9 hours ago, R-T-B said:

If you use the existing "UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = True" to have the options of True (Default), False (Off completely for use with a mod like Custom Asteroids) and Stock (uses the Vanilla implementation) then that would be great. It covers all bases, works well going forward as the default option would be compatible from a legacy standpoint and allows modders to patch that value if they wish to change it for their system or something.

12 hours ago, ss8913 said:

Make sure you have the latest EVE Redux version.

This should probably go in the AVP thread though.

On my computer, this Kopernicus RTB for 1.11.1 (release 70) does not work with BD Armory.

What happens is that when I load and it goes to the title screen,  I can't click anything. The animation for a button press appears to where it goes dark for the duration my mouse is pressed, but nothing actually happens. The functions don't run. I can't even click "Quit". I don't know what either of these mods have to do with clicking on the screen, but that is what is happening.

Is this occuring for anyone else?

15 hours ago, Poodmund said:

If you use the existing "UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem = True" to have the options of True (Default), False (Off completely for use with a mod like Custom Asteroids) and Stock (uses the Vanilla implementation) then that would be great. It covers all bases, works well going forward as the default option would be compatible from a legacy standpoint and allows modders to patch that value if they wish to change it for their system or something.

That's the idea, yeah.  Working on a system identical to that description for next release.

16 hours ago, modus said:

Sounds good to me (a simple end user).

What would the default setting be?

Default settings are most likely to use the Kopernicus generator, but have it spawn stock-alike asteroids and comets.  This works with old packs then, and only drawback is breaking SENTINEL contracts.  To get them working, it'd be a one line config file change to switch to the real stock generator, or something you downloaded.

8 hours ago, Opteryx said:

On my computer, this Kopernicus RTB for 1.11.1 (release 70) does not work with BD Armory.

What happens is that when I load and it goes to the title screen,  I can't click anything. The animation for a button press appears to where it goes dark for the duration my mouse is pressed, but nothing actually happens. The functions don't run. I can't even click "Quit". I don't know what either of these mods have to do with clicking on the screen, but that is what is happening.

Mods that contain a "firespitter.dll" have an incompatability that cause this.

If removing it is not an option, you can use arrow keys +enter to navigate.

Edited by R-T-B

Since @Black-Two- was kind enough to mention me I suppose I should chime in, though I am biased (in multiple directions ;)).

Kopernicus and Custom Asteroids have been competitors/rivals since 2015, in part because the two mods have taken different approaches to asteroid handling: Kopernicus was, when last I checked, fairly close to stock asteroids, while Custom Asteroids tried to overrule the stock behavior wherever it could. Some players preferred one approach, some the other. But there's also been some synergy: @Thomas P. wrote a much better asteroid spawner than my original design, and Custom Asteroids became much more efficient when I incorporated his algorithm into my own code. Custom Asteroids has fluctuated in quality depending on personal distractions, while Kopernicus has had much more stable support. For all these reasons, I'd be sad to see Kopernicus drop out of the asteroid field, and am glad @R-T-B's proposal at least keeps any existing features.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that Kopernicus is having trouble with comets. I tried using Release 61 (without CA installed) while testing some things for RSS, and was able to create my own comets (using the stock "orbit definition" configs) with no apparent problems. I would think that supporting that in the Kopernicus spawner would be well within the spirit of how Kopernicus has handled asteroids historically. Did @R-T-B mean something else when they talked about support for custom comets?

13 hours ago, Opteryx said:

Uninstall BD Armory.  Install the latest firespitter directly from Roverdude's latest. Then install BDArmory.  See of that solves the issue.  Its not Kopernicus - so maybe better that you ask over there in the correct thread.  Also, I suggest you use CKAN for installing ALL your mods from scratch because it might pick things like this up and fix them for you.

2 hours ago, Starstrider42 said:

Did @R-T-B mean something else when they talked about support for custom comets?

I mean comet control in Kopernicus in the traditional syntax.  You can of course define your own orbital nodes like you described alongside our generator, it's just not nearly as user friendly.  Or maybe I am misunderstanding you?  Or maybe I am misunderstanding how this system works entirely, I didn't write it.

On that note, a confession:  it's probably just that I am not entirely familiar with how the stock discoverable objects system works like Thomas. P was.  I'm not abandoning all hope, just looking for some interim options on what is sure to be a long term "learning experience" for me.  I really barely understand it, if that.

At this point, I'm sure I've proven myself smashing other bugs, and view the comet support as more of a side project vs generally keeping this project moving and bug free.

Edited by R-T-B

On 2/2/2021 at 4:31 AM, ss8913 said:

OK, I found the problem.. the new Vulture planet pack (very good btw) references a texture in one of its configs *that only exists in Eve's stock planets configuration* which is distributed separately (on CKAN) from the main EVE - AVP conflicts with this, so CKAN does not install the EVE stock config package, thus making a texture unavailable to Vulture; one unavailable texture causes the EVE engine to not load any clouds at all for any planet.  The solution is to extract the BoulderCo/Atmospheres/Textures/ folder from the EVE distribution and copy that into GameData, then restart KSP.

This is not an issue for a standard EVE install, but if you want to use Kopernicus + Vulture + AVP, this ^^^ is how you make it work.

Thanks for catching this. Completely forgot that BoulderCo is separate from a standard EVE install. I've pointed out on the forum thread that BoulderCo was required, and I'm going to begin work on making custom cloudmaps for the pack itself. Sorry about this!

SPECIAL NOTICE: This release is a release candidate for 1.10.1/1.11.1 going to the stable branch. If it proves bug free in a few days (other than the listed mostly minor bugs), this will likely end up the stable build. Please help test!

@R-T-B R-T-B released this 3 minutes ago

This is release 75. It contains the following changes:

1.) Kopernicus_Config.cfg now accepts parameter UseKopernicusAsteroidSystem with accepted values "true" (default, use Kopernicus Custom Asteroid Generator and scrub Sentinel contracts), "false" (use external mod asteroid generator, or none at all), and "stock" (uses stock game generator, only good for stock system). These values are case insensitive and DO NOT use quotes.

2.) There were some situations where a star that did not emit light was selected as a light source if it still had luminosity set, resulting in darkness. They are no longer considered for lighting calculations if they don't emit light.

3.) The OpenGL ringshader has been fixed via a revert to the last working version, though it still has some very minor bugs that version worked far better than what we had now. Linux users rejoice!

Known Bugs:

2.) When zooming out all the way in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

3.) The ring shader still may have some bugs in opengl environments, though minor.  It mostly works.

-RTB

Edited by R-T-B

12 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I will update later and play some KSP.

Who knows, maybe something will come up:rolleyes:

I can't see it affecting the game that much, as I don't have rings and i'm not in OpenGL.

We'll see what happens with 'roids though

I tested the new values pretty well.  I even tried putting things in that shouldn't be there, like "stonks" instead of "stock" or "true/false" because why not?  Of course it gave me a nice error message and good report in the log of why exactly that was wrong.  I'm happy.

Feel free to see how each value behaves.  The file you want to modify is Kopernicus/config/Koperncius_config.cfg.  Any text editor will do.  The values should be liveswappable in the middle of a game too with just a reload ("should," always have a backup here).

Edited by R-T-B

1 minute ago, Poodmund said:

Asteroid rates went way up! 

chart-with-upwards-trend_1f4c8.png 

I can only confirm Kopernicus is not an investing app.  Sadly it did not result in more asteroids, money, or asteroids made of money.

Edited by R-T-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.