[1.8.x-1.12.x]R-T-B's Kopernicus Unified "Bleeding Edge" Branch[REACTIVATED]

R-T-B

2 hours ago, Poodmund said:

You should also consider a save downgrader too. That's usually the 'save killer' when people try to go the other way.

That would have to be an external app, because old versions already released of course won't be aware.  But I will probably do this, now that you mention it.

38 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

That would have to be an external app, because old versions already released of course won't be aware.  But I will probably do this, now that you mention it.

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. I remember that Ven's Stock Revamp used to have something like this back in the day by running separate batch files to either rename the file extension of all the affected stock assets to stop them loading or renaming them all again to revert the change.

In reference to some earlier Kopernicus Stable vs BE vs Parallax excitement, which resulted in active craft having their solar panels closed, documented here:

...I have some additional details on my conversion of an active KSP 1.11.1 Save Game from Stable to BE during Parallax upgrade - my solar panel extension hot keys got erased.  I tried out a previous craft file, after clearing the missing KopernicusSolarPanels module error, and the hot key assignment was gone.  Easy enough to replace it, but it may explain why active craft wouldn't re-extend the panels with a hot key press.

EDIT: I should further clarify, these solar panels were edits of copies of current Stock/ReStock .cfgs, which I set to be non-tracking, in order to give myself some larger early-tech level panels.  Except for a unique part name and changes in mass, cost, entry tech, and the aforementioned disabling of tracking ("isTracking = False"), they're the same.  I didn't add or delete any modules that weren't there previously.

Ignore that edit.  I have another, later tech level, active craft with unmodified extendible panels that had the same issues.

Edited by KSPrynk

• 3 weeks later...

@R-T-B R-T-B released this 6 minutes ago

This is R-T-B's "Bleeding Edge" branch of Kopernicus, intended to support the latest features, KSP editions, and also the latest bugs. Please keep in mind this branch may be more buggy than Prestja's mainline Kopernicus branch, but it also supports more KSP versions and has more features implemented for testing reasons. Many features that make it into mainline Kopernicus are born, tested, and trialed by fire here.

This is release 81. It contains the following changes:

1.) A bug in which freshly generated config files were not loaded has been fixed.

2.) Some minor scatter related bugs have been corrected.

3.) This is the RC for next stable. As such, multistar support is off by default to ease users on that platform to the new solar math which can be a harsh transition for heavily modded inflight vessels. A simple enabler .cfg config file is included in this release to "toggle on" multistar EC math support, just drop it in Kopernicus/Config if you want that support turned on. Bear in mind, that support may be buggy on modded inflight vessels, it is best to land them if possible.  We are working on this.

Known Bugs:

1.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely. It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

2.) When zooming out all the way in map view at interstellar ranges, the navbal sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and all the interstellar bugs actively.

Please download the right output zip for your version. "LEGACY_18" zips are for 1.8.x, "UBE19+" for anything between 1.9 and 1.11.x.

Thanks and as always, report bugs!

-RTB

Edited by R-T-B

@R-T-B I've also read your post in the stable branch thread and reread some of the posts here, but can you explain what the 'harsh transition' for (modded) vessels will be like?

Will they stop generating ec? Explode? Will it affect all craft? Will, for instance, a ship in orbit around moho be affected (when I have a solar pack installed ofcourse)?

8 hours ago, modus said:

Will they stop generating ec? Explode? Will it affect all craft? Will, for instance, a ship in orbit around moho be affected (when I have a solar pack installed ofcourse)?

Stop generating EC would be the worst case, though explosions IS possible if for some reason the heat flux calculation went insane (it has yet to be seen in practice though).  Ideally nothing will happen, and I've done my best to ensure nothing will happen including with some common mods, but with all the mods around, I can't account for all scenarios, hence me not pulling the trigger on you automatically.

My simple advice is this:  It will likely work, but back up your save prior to trying it.  And please provide feedback even when it works!  We are in desperate need of it.

Ships that are MOST likely to work are fresh launches that are stock craft.  Those least likely to work or exhibit bugs are heavily modded, already launched craft.  Of those two traits, the modded part is more signifigant than the "already launched" bit.

15 hours ago, Apelsin said:

Thanks for the new release! I was wondering if there's been any progress with the "known bugs" - do you know what the cause is for the navball and heating issues?

Unfortunately I only followed them long enough to hit a hardwall against some Unity Engine issues.  I had an idea for some work arounds but far more time than I have at the moment is needed (the origin was/is similar to the landing gear sinking bug, which I have mostly fixed, btw).  I hope when my real-life work lets up to hit those next.

Edited by R-T-B

I have brought this up/asked this question many times in many different forums... but could kopernicus BE look into loading surface maps as a cubemap? Idk the logistics of the issue because I've never dealt with kopernicus but as an RSS user, opening up the potential to 64k dds cubemapped surface textures is really really appealing

I updated Kopernicus, but my KopernicusSolarPanel module doesn't work at all, now. I tried everything, but no matter what I do, all newly-launched satellites appear to have vanilla Kerbol tracking and no option to track any other stars. Is my save bugged? :o

Edited by GNO-SYS

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using the latest version of this release + Beyond Home + Parallax and bunch of other mods in the 1.11.2 version, and the menu buttons don't work at all. I uninstalled all mods and installed them back 1 by 1 and I found Kopernicus was the one causing trouble, is there any fix to this?

Edited by Munarmunar

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 8:13 PM, ItsJustLuci said:

I have brought this up/asked this question many times in many different forums... but could kopernicus BE look into loading surface maps as a cubemap? Idk the logistics of the issue because I've never dealt with kopernicus but as an RSS user, opening up the potential to 64k dds cubemapped surface textures is really really appealing

They already looked into it and decided a while ago that there would be no benefit to it, also the shader code isn't accessible for modders.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 10:27 AM, Munarmunar said:

I'm using the latest version of this release + Beyond Home + Parallax and bunch of other mods in the 1.11.2 version, and the menu buttons don't work at all. I uninstalled all mods and installed them back 1 by 1 and I found Kopernicus was the one causing trouble, is there any fix to this?

I have seen this before, and it's not usually Kopernicus (installing it alone won't do it, at least not the stable version which you should be using), but a "Firespitter.dll" being outdated that can cause this.  Unsure what that is or what it does but it's nearly always present when this bug happens.

On 3/18/2021 at 9:52 AM, TheDicko said:

Out of pure curiosity, may i ask why a new version of kopernicus is needed every patch. I appreciate all your work.

We are working on making this not needed, but the most I can do is make it autoadapt to minor updates.  Obviously major updates are going to need work.  It's because of how deep we "cut" into KSP to make this mod work, basically.

On 3/24/2021 at 12:13 AM, GNO-SYS said:

I updated Kopernicus, but my KopernicusSolarPanel module doesn't work at all, now. I tried everything, but no matter what I do, all newly-launched satellites appear to have vanilla Kerbol tracking and no option to track any other stars. Is my save bugged? :o

Sorry for missing this so long.  You need to download the optional .cfg linked with a release to enable multistar tracking, and put it in your config folder.

There is a multistar-associated performance penalty, which is why it's "opt-in" now.

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

a "Firespitter.dll" being outdated that can cause this.  Unsure what that is or what it does but it's nearly always present when this bug happens.

It's part of the old Firespitter mod which added some helicopter and plane parts. USI mods, mainly MKS, often come bundled with Firespitter (the dll or even all the parts) because they rely on the code from Firespitter (especially the FuelSwitch stuff). Up to date version and/or source can be found on Github or as part of the USI pre-release constellation.

1 minute ago, Grimmas said:

It's part of the old Firespitter mod which added some helicopter and plane parts. USI mods, mainly MKS, often come bundled with Firespitter (the dll or even all the parts) because they rely on the code from Firespitter (especially the FuelSwitch stuff). Up to date version and/or source can be found on Github or as part of the USI pre-release constellation.

Appreciate the insight.

Is there a way to complete sentinel missions? I accepted one for comets and it doesn't complete unless I turn off Kopernicus asteroid spawner and use stock one.  Searching the thread it seems like the answer would be no but I was wondering if I could have kopernicus asteroid spawner and stock one working at same time.  I want Kopernicus one for new systems but being able to complete sentinel missions would be nice too.

Hey @R-T-B, been reconstructing my old v1.8 500+ mod folder for v1.11 and I happened to notice this bug was raised over in KerbalAlarmClock thread. Haven't tested myself yet but just wondering if this managed to make it into your radar:

On 4/8/2021 at 5:06 PM, Fundati said:

Yes, it does. I'll try installing a new instance of Kopernicus and see if that fixes the issue.

EDIT:

BUG FIXED:

I changed to Kopernicus Bleeding Edge release 80 and it fixed the time warp bug. It seems Kopernicus Bleeding Edge release 81 bugged Kerbal Alarm Clock into over-warping. I'll let R-T-B know.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having some visual issues in KSP involving Kopernicus. It mainly has to do with the shadows, as they seem to be much larger than usual, and they flicker for whatever reason.

I am on KSP Version 1.11.2, 64 Bit

The mods I have installed are Kopernicus, Module Manager 4.1.4.dll, and Modular Flight Integrator

Here are the logs

https://www.mediafire.com/file/5ibe5qdkdzg2mo2/Logs-Kopernicus.zip/file

Here is a video of the issue

I am very new to these forums, so if I forgot anything in my error report please let me know. Thanks.

• 5 months later...
On 5/24/2021 at 10:35 AM, Eeyore515 said:

I have been having some visual issues in KSP involving Kopernicus. It mainly has to do with the shadows, as they seem to be much larger than usual, and they flicker for whatever reason.

I am on KSP Version 1.11.2, 64 Bit

The mods I have installed are Kopernicus, Module Manager 4.1.4.dll, and Modular Flight Integrator

Here are the logs

https://www.mediafire.com/file/5ibe5qdkdzg2mo2/Logs-Kopernicus.zip/file

Here is a video of the issue

I am very new to these forums, so if I forgot anything in my error report please let me know. Thanks.

You need to ask in the Koperbicus stable branch thread, and if you're still using a bleeding edge version stop and update to the latest stable version .

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

pssst....  the bleeding edge rises from the dead, to be experimented upon with new stuff!  See OP for the plans!

For right now, have an es-es translation file to justify it's existence, and not much else over stable... lol

The Bleeding Edge is where beta code is trialed by fire, so if you want to help: Welcome! If you want a stable experience, please use the stable branch at https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus instead.

New in this latest version UBE-82:

1.) Brought bleeding edge in line with stable branch in prep for new feature development.

2.) es-es localization added.

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away.

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and monitoring all the interstellar bugs actively.

4.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x,1.11.x,1.10.x, and 1.9.x. The 1.8 release is for 1.8.x.

2.) Multistar Solar panel support requires an additional config file, attached to release.

3.) As of stable release-107, scatter density underwent a bugfix on all bodies globally that results in densities acting more dense than before on some select configs. Some mods may need to adjust. Normally we'd not change things like this, but this is technically the correct stock behavior of the node so... if you need the old behavior, see config option UseIncorrectScatterDensityLogic.

4.) As of stable Release-119, LandControl createColors is no longer obeyed, it is forced on to avoid another bug. Very few mods to my knowledge use this parameter, but a few do (JNSQ for example). You can work around this if affected by setting your LandControl color to be all zeroes. See attatched cfg for a mod that does this.

5.) The "collider fix" as it's called, which fixes the event in which you sink into the terrain on distant bodies, is off by default. If you have a system larger than stock, please see Kopernicus_Config.cfg option DisableFarAwayColliders, read about the fix/workaround, and set it as you feel appropriate.

Edited by R-T-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.