[1.8.x-1.12.x]R-T-B's Kopernicus Unified "Bleeding Edge" Branch[REACTIVATED]

R-T-B

5 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Kopernicus SolarPanels now completely replace ModuleDeployableSolarPanels in order to completely override a function including its base, so unless I misunderstand how your mod works, that might work

Yes, it will work for you. [The Module Manager patch]  But will break someone else sooner or later.

5 hours ago, R-T-B said:

You are probably looking in the wrong area of the code, like master which we never use.  Look in branch 1.9.  It is extending ModuleDeployableSolarPanel and does pretty much everything short of moving the panels itself.  That blob of math is OhioBob's and I's pride and joy.

Now I understood how it works (it extends the Stock Part Module). So you will be "automatically" be patched up on any part using ModuleDeployableSolarPanel, but with default values on the PartModule (loosing any previous values from the original config node). It's somewhat inconvenient (on Atmospheric Autopilot, we lose the control's surfaces settings and need to reset from scratch once it's installed - it extended the ModuleControlSurface the same way you did for the Solar Panel).

In a way or another, by creating your own Exponent you don't risk unintended and unforeseen consequences, as a patch that would depend specifically of ModuleDeployableSolarPanel's exponent will fail because it vanished. And since this Exponent is a "stock TweakScale" one, everybody takes it for granted if :NEEDS[TweakScale] is satisfied.

So, my best advise is one of what follows:

TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS
{
    name = KopernicusSolarPanels
    chargeRate = 2
    temperatureEfficCurve = 2
}

Or, if you don't foresee any problems if this Exponent is not available before Module Manager starts the patching chain (borderline situation, but not impossible):

+TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]:NEEDS[TweakScale,Kopernicus]
{
	@name = KopernicusSolarPanels
}

This will copy the current ModuleDeployableSolarPanel into a new Exponent called KopernicusSolarPanels, inheriting any previous values. And this is an example why we should not replace TweakScale (or any other add'on) default artifacts - if you just rename the Exponent as previously proposed, anything in need to do similar things will fail when Kopernicus is installed - a mess not too fun to diagnose.

-- -- test drive -- --

It works, whatever is the problem I got before, it will not affect you (I omitted Kopernicus because I don't have it installed on this test bed):

[LOG 11:12:00.881] [ModuleManager] INFO: Applying copy __LOCAL/TweakScale/k/+TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]:NEEDS[TweakScale] to TweakScale/ScaleExponents.cfg/TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]

-- config cache --

UrlConfig
{
    parentUrl = TweakScale/ScaleExponents.cfg
    TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS
    {
        name = KopernicusSolarPanels
        chargeRate = 2
        temperatureEfficCurve = 2
    }
}

Edited by Lisias
I think I was a bit conservative too much on quoting! :)

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

Yes, it will work for you. But will break someone else sooner or later.

You say that like it hasn't already.  We are already shipping patches for Near Future Solar.

Do you have a better way to override a stock method completely?  Because i was asking around before I resorted to this.  I absolutely cannot allow CalculateTracking on a panel to run while Kopernicus is performing multistar maths.

EDIT:  Oh, you were talking about the ModuleManager patch then?  My apologies.  Need more caffeine.

Edited by R-T-B

On 7/20/2020 at 2:06 AM, R-T-B said:

I mean, 99% certain it should be fine.  I've yet to say, visit all the gas giants and planets personally without cheating, but yeah, it seems to work.  Nothing "super wrong" certainly.  I've even tested OPM.

I really just tell people to back up their saves because they should anyways.  Game breaking bugs are rare but I don't want to be "that guy" if the apocalypse happens, you should always backup.

I play with JNSQ on 1.10, which actually is a little more heavy than OPM.  It works.  Even icebergs and their colliders work, which was a cool surprise. :)

screenshot10.jpg

What mod did you used?

I mean for the icebergs.

2 hours ago, TranceaddicT said:

For some reason, I find it eminently satisfing to know this is in JNSQ. I'm even more excited to play it for my first time and look forward to seeing them.

If JNSQ didn't have the "farm patch" land bug right now (where some land tiles sometimes tile at slightly different colors due to pack compatability issues with the latest shaders), I'd probably be playing it now.  It's a great pack, but that issue, though minor, just drives me crazy.  I miss the icebergs having went to OPM, truth be told.

Yes, you can practically RP that bug away by saying they ARE farm patches, but the inconcsistency in which it occurs still gets to me in my head... lol.

Edited by R-T-B

10 hours ago, R-T-B said:

If JNSQ didn't have the "farm patch" land bug ...

Yep, that bug drives me crazy too.  Very annoying.  I've seen it elsewhere but it is particularly bad in JNSQ.

This is only anecdotal, but I think the bug is worse on larger planets, and since JNSQ is built to a larger scale, the bug is more prevalent.

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

Yep, that bug drives me crazy too.  Very annoying.  I've seen it elsewhere but it is particularly bad in JNSQ.

This is only anecdotal, but I think the bug is worse on larger planets, and since JNSQ is built to a larger scale, the bug is more prevalent.

Yeah, I really wish I knew an effective way to fix it...

On 8/19/2020 at 1:02 PM, BiscuitGraph61 said:

OMG THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS!

No problem.  Just a heads up that comet-related bugs are on the backburner for right now, while I work on getting Kittopiatech working.  But comets work more or less in single star systems (all bugs with them relate to complex custom multistar) so I don't see it as a huge deal right now.

Curious for those that have used this with JNSQ-- do comets spawn at all, or are there any issues with them?  Considering starting a new game on 1.10 with JNSQ, but I'm happy to wait if there is still substantive work to be done (although I don't mind minor bugs or issues).  Thanks! :)

20 hours ago, ble210 said:

Curious for those that have used this with JNSQ-- do comets spawn at all, or are there any issues with them?  Considering starting a new game on 1.10 with JNSQ, but I'm happy to wait if there is still substantive work to be done (although I don't mind minor bugs or issues).  Thanks! :)

From what I've read comets are on the back burner.  Asteroids are working, but comets are not.

I have installed this mod in 1.10.1 just for the footsteps, but I'm having multiple problems:

1. Kerbin looks weird, it looks like if there were two different kerbins in the same exact location with different textures

2. Sun doesn't illuminate landed crafts and what's close to them

3. Solar panels don't work (doesn't matter on the location, or sun's visibility), my mun station was rendered useless because of this.

I know this is in development and I knew there would be bugs so I hope they get fixed

1 hour ago, Neil Kermstrong said:

I have installed this mod in 1.10.1 just for the footsteps, but I'm having multiple problems:

1. Kerbin looks weird, it looks like if there were two different kerbins in the same exact location with different textures

2. Sun doesn't illuminate landed crafts and what's close to them

3. Solar panels don't work (doesn't matter on the location, or sun's visibility), my mun station was rendered useless because of this.

I know this is in development and I knew there would be bugs so I hope they get fixed

Nothing can be "fixed" without a problem defined by logs.

So, a kind of pseudo bug report for you, @R-T-B.

Trying to use Sigma Dimensions + RESCALE on 1.10.1BE20, and it simply will NOT work - I'm getting "ghost surfaces" like I was back when I reported the bug a while back, but in reverse - the expected "real" surface disappears when I get close to the planet, and I blow up once I pass through what the real surface should be.

I did a bit of testing with that de-nyancatted version (1.9.1-3,) and it turns out that the problem showed up between 1.10.0 and 1.10.1 - the rescale mod works fine with the former, but not with the latter, using the same 1.9.1-3 version of Kopernicus.

I've submitted a bug report to @Sigma88 on the SD project, but figured I should at least mention it to you in case it's something you may have some insight on.

10 hours ago, etmoonshade said:

So, a kind of pseudo bug report for you, @R-T-B.

Trying to use Sigma Dimensions + RESCALE on 1.10.1BE20, and it simply will NOT work - I'm getting "ghost surfaces" like I was back when I reported the bug a while back, but in reverse - the expected "real" surface disappears when I get close to the planet, and I blow up once I pass through what the real surface should be.

I did a bit of testing with that de-nyancatted version (1.9.1-3,) and it turns out that the problem showed up between 1.10.0 and 1.10.1 - the rescale mod works fine with the former, but not with the latter, using the same 1.9.1-3 version of Kopernicus.

I've submitted a bug report to @Sigma88 on the SD project, but figured I should at least mention it to you in case it's something you may have some insight on.

<whisper type=backalley tone=hush> Psst, JNSQ. </whisper>

1 hour ago, TranceaddicT said:

<whisper type=backalley tone=hush> Psst, JNSQ. </whisper>

I don't know what would make me want to use that mod...

Spoiler

:V

Really though. I kind of had my heart set on a 10.625x rescale this time around. JNSQ would give me something, but not what I've got a hankering for. It's like getting a Philly cheesesteak when you wanted an actual nice thick ribeye - still pretty good, but not what you actually wanted and not the same.

I want a cheesesteak sub now. >_>

Edit: I kinda hope it's a quick fix for @Sigma88 now that the internet is done being broken AF. I'm going back to sleep since I got woke up nice and early this morning by that mess.

Second edit: I'm tired and overcaffeinated. That was a language joke, not me trying to knock on JNSQ - it seems like it'd be pretty cool if I wasn't such a diehard fan of the stock planets.

Edited by etmoonshade

7 minutes ago, etmoonshade said:

Really though. I kind of had my heart set on a 10.625x rescale this time around.

Second edit: I'm tired and overcaffeinated. That was a language joke, not me trying to knock on JNSQ - it seems like it'd be pretty cool if I wasn't such a diehard fan of the stock planets.

Ah, okay. This is my first time with JNSQ (about a month now.)  So, it's a big new bag of WFT.

I take it you're looking for the next-level ... WTAF!?!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.