[1.8.x-1.12.x]R-T-B's Kopernicus Unified "Bleeding Edge" Branch[REACTIVATED]

R-T-B

We actually discussed this internally and came up with a better answer I think:

Stock comets won't be implemented (and thus we can keep custom asteroids), because we already have our own custom comets.  KopernicusExpansion has code for comets that only requires particles, which I've already added.  I'll see about updating it and integrating it into mainline Kopernicus.

On that note, little baby bugfix to avoid utterly undoable SENTINEL missions (I just forced them not to be generated).

This is R-T-B's "Bleeding Edge" branch of Kopernicus, intended to support the latest features, KSP editions, and also the latest bugs. Please keep in mind this branch may be more buggy than Prestja's mainline Kopernicus branch, but it also supports more KSP versions and has more features implemented for testing reasons. Many features that make it into mainline Kopernicus are born, tested, and trialed by fire here.

This is release 13. It contains the following changes:

1.) Fixed a bug where SENTINEL missions were being assigned despite being unfulfillable (we bake our own asteroid system, it doesn't work with SENTINEL missions)

Known Bugs:

1.) Right now? Nothing big! Famous last words?

2.) As of now, the 1.10.1 releases do not support comets. We are planning support soon, PRs welcome if you can help.  Yes, this possibly means comet missions may be unfullfillable too, if you get such missions don't take them (they shouldn't, but who knows?  Report if you get them.)

Please download the right output zip for your version. "191" zips are for 1.9.1, "1101" for 1.10.1, etc.

Thanks and as always, report bugs!

-RTB

This will probably be the last BE release until comet support, barring major bugs being discovered.  Also, if this proves to be reliable code, it has a good chance of being the CKAN candidate upstream in Prestja's branch.

Edited by R-T-B

9 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I take that silence as a good thing.

I'd like to highlight this:

3.)  As of now, the 1.10.1 releases do not support comets.  I'd welcome PR's to fix that, because I have no idea where to start.

To clarify what the issue is here...  Kopernicus at present takes complete control of stock asteroids (and thus comets) at the moment, including their generation.  This allows users to create custom belts, etc, with size distribution and other fun stuff.  It's also causing us a heck of a lot of problems in regards to enabling comets.  Would users mind if I disabled this and just let the squad asteroid system run in it's place?  I'm seeking feedback from both planet pack authors and users, here.  It'd fix the problem, but we'd lose this functionality, and it'd just act like stock always in regards to how they spawned (around Kerbin/dres space really).

Well you've done a couple things that were instantly noticeable.  1, my frame rate on a 500 part ship didn't drop to nill x.x  Almost, but it's notably better performing than I expected.  2, EC on a multi star SEEMED to work ok, but I didn't have time to really tinker beyond load it up, take control of a ship and look around.  I'll work on taking a hard look tomorrow with my dedicated test save so the logs are nice and clean of any outside potentials.  :)  Although I did notice, I have no new asteroids forming again....... I didn't pay attention before but I just realized the only ones I have are the ones that started stock.  This may be something to do with GU (again this is my career save, not the tester).  I dont' care about asteroids in this play through because I honestly HATE dealing with them.  It's fun to mine on them for a time, but it swiftly gets tedious.  I like exploring the planets.  Over, and over.  lol.  I'm far enough in my current play through that tech is the only thing holding me back from exploring beyond eve.  That's about to get remedied next time I load in for more than 30 minutes. lmao.  I'm hoping I might come across something when I get to Jool the hard way in terms of a report.  And the next goal to look for is Eloo.  If nothing related to Kopernicus pops in the logs.......... wow.  Is Kopernicus even working if there isn't a log issue? lmao.  It's gotten so clean compared to what it was before already :P .  Anyway, I'm tired and afraid I'll word something badly so goodnight, er day.  Whatever it is for you (way too late into the am here).

Yeah, I suspect asteroids have been acting up in 1.10.1  (not sure, but have had one or two reports).  Is that what you were testing on?  That's not a CKAN blocker issue but we do need to deal with it.  It's probably something related to comets that they changed, if I had to guess.  If I get more reports of them not spawning I'll definitely mark it an issue for a true 1.10.1 release (right now it's sort of hard to rule out mods on all the reports I've gotten).  I'm 99% sure they are working on in 1.9.1 right now though.

I also would like to reduce the logspam.  Kopernicus likes to log a lot of little warnings right now that don't really matter one iota in 99% of situations, like on bleeding edge it complains about textures that are missing that no one cares about (because we don't enforce ultra-shaders in BE).  I'd like to quiet it a bit someday, but that's a "stretch goal."

Edited by R-T-B

4 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Yeah, I suspect asteroids have been acting up in 1.10.1  (not sure, but have had one or two reports).  Is that what you were testing on?  That's not a CKAN blocker issue but we do need to deal with it.  It's probably something related to comets that they changed, if I had to guess.  If I get more reports of them not spawning I'll definitely mark it an issue for a true 1.10.1 release (right now it's sort of hard to rule out mods on all the reports I've gotten).  I'm 99% sure they are working on in 1.9.1 right now though.

I also would like to reduce the logspam.  Kopernicus likes to log a lot of little warnings right now that don't really matter one iota in 99% of situations, like on bleeding edge it complains about textures that are missing that no one cares about (because we don't enforce ultra-shaders in BE).  I'd like to quiet it a bit someday, but that's a "stretch goal."

I did notice those, but I didn't see anything that really mattered much.  Logspam doesn't seem to slow the system down enough on my end (beefy machine though).  And yes I'm testing on 1.10.1.  lol

I've also run into an issue with no asteroids spawning except near Kerbin. I'm running 1.10.1 and Release 13. I put 3 sentinels in orbit to monitor the region around Kerbin and time warped for several years. I got a wide variety of asteroids around Kerbin iteself, but the sentinels picked up nothing ever. I am running a number of mods, including OPM.

Let me know if you need a complete list of the mods I'm running or just need someone to test something. Kopernicus is one of my must-have mods, and I'd be happy to contribute in even a small way to making it better.

5 hours ago, Lucas Kerman said:

I've also run into an issue with no asteroids spawning except near Kerbin. I'm running 1.10.1 and Release 13. I put 3 sentinels in orbit to monitor the region around Kerbin and time warped for several years. I got a wide variety of asteroids around Kerbin iteself, but the sentinels picked up nothing ever. I am running a number of mods, including OPM.

Let me know if you need a complete list of the mods I'm running or just need someone to test something. Kopernicus is one of my must-have mods, and I'd be happy to contribute in even a small way to making it better.

Hmm.  What I really need is to determine if this happened in the last release.  Could you just test one release back?  And then post log files if it still happens?  Thanks.

I'm wondering if disabling the Sentinel contracts because they were unfullfillable actually killed off the asteroids too.  That would be bad.  If so, rolling back should fix it.

Edited by R-T-B

Nevermind, the issue is we shut off the stock asteroid generator by default.  That's not ideal, and about to change.  Next release will fix that bug.

On that note:

Next release has important config options in a file called Kopernicus_Config.cfg!  It is found in the usual config folder, and an example version is listed below (not used yet, will probably be implemented on bleeding edge soon).

Feel free to use it as both a planet pack author and a user to change stock behavior!  The following options are available:

// Kopernicus base configuration.  Provides ability to flag things and set user options.  Ships at defaults for stock system and warnings config, as well as an explanation that is not part of the file:
Kopernicus_config
{
    EnforceShaders = true
    WarnShaders = true
    UseStockAsteroidGenerator = true
}

EXPLANATION: They are pretty self explanatory.  But enforceShaders forces shaders to Ultra, and can be disabled.  WarnShaders produces a warning if shaders are not on Ultra, and can be disabled.  UseStockAsteroidGenerator allows the stock asteroid system to run alongside Kopernicus's, and in the future will be on unless planet pack authors or users toggle it off for their pack of choice.  This enables spawning of asteroids in and around Kerbin/Dres as well as random asteorids for SENTINEL contracts.  Some packs may not want this, so it can be turned off.

Edited by R-T-B

That's right, no sooner than I started planning it, I did it.  Big feature and bugfix release is here!  Please try out the new config options and see how they work!  They are explained above (and a bit below too.)

@R-T-B R-T-B released this 18 seconds ago

This is R-T-B's "Bleeding Edge" branch of Kopernicus, intended to support the latest features, KSP editions, and also the latest bugs. Please keep in mind this branch may be more buggy than Prestja's mainline Kopernicus branch, but it also supports more KSP versions and has more features implemented for testing reasons. Many features that make it into mainline Kopernicus are born, tested, and trialed by fire here.

This is release 14. It contains the following changes:

1.) Added a config file (GameData\Kopernicus\Config\Kopernicus_Config.cfg) that enables you to turn on/off various options. Look inside! You can turn off warnings and more! Plus if your a planet pack author constructing a completely new system, you probably want to shut off the stockAsteroidGenerator, which is on by default now for Comet support and SENTINEL Contracts.

2.) Fixed a bug with the rimshader by using some mystical property of eeloo this is not fully understood in the templating process. This seems to work well, but may introduce new bugs, so I'm curious how it performs!

3.) In the default stock system, we can spawn comets now using Squads system, though it is untested.  It should work though, try it!

Known Bugs:

Please download the right output zip for your version. "191" zips are for 1.9.1, "1101" for 1.10.1, etc.

-RTB

Edited by R-T-B

If users with asteroid bugs could let me know if that last build fixes them, I'd be appreciative.  I'm particularly interested in stock scenarios, with SENTINEL contracts and tracking.

If it's good, we may push this branch to a stable release soon.  Heck this code may end up on CKAN if all goes well, it's not getting many bug reports at all.

@Lucas Kerman

Edited by R-T-B

@R-T-B R-T-B released this 30 seconds ago

This is release 15. It contains the following changes:

1.) Fixed the diffuse shader (required for packs like EventHorizon to load properly).

Known Bugs:

-RTB

This release is being bumped to stable in it's 1.9.1 form later today, thanks.  It may well be our CKAN release candidate.

Edited by R-T-B

16 minutes ago, TranceaddicT said:

So, this happens in RC15; yet, everything is fine in RC14.

C2FNShu.png

Wow, that's interesting for sure.  Maybe I bundled the wrong binary (like for 1.10.1).  Let me check the uploads, because that should not be happening... lol.

Can you post the requested logs?  Just to be sure.

Edited by R-T-B

22 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Wow, that's interesting for sure.  Maybe I bundled the wrong binary (like for 1.10.1).  Let me check the uploads, because that should not be happening... lol.

Can you post the requested logs?  Just to be sure.

Sure.  Booting RC15 now.

I'll update this with the log.

KSP_RC15.log

Give me another 10m and I'll have a RC14 log to compare.

KSP_RC14.log

Edited by TranceaddicT

27 minutes ago, TranceaddicT said:

Sure.  Booting RC15 now.

I'll update this with the log.

KSP_RC15.log

Give me another 10m and I'll have a RC14 log to compare.

Incoming bugfix for a game-loading crash on texture packs using that shader, thanks (it's actually a pretty common shader!)  That log was straight to the point and led to a fix.

This is release 16. It contains the following changes:

1.) Fixed the diffuse shader crashing the game when used, again.

Known Bugs:

-RTB

I should also note, the release candidate at stable branch is at the moment, is in feature parity with this minus the support for 1.10.1.  You may want to look at it if wanting a reliable experience now, it's in release candidate status for CKAN. :)

Edited by R-T-B

18 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Incoming bugfix for a game-loading crash on texture packs using that shader, thanks (it's actually a pretty common shader!)  That log was straight to the point and led to a fix.

This is release 16. It contains the following changes:

1.) Fixed the diffuse shader crashing the game when used, again.

Known Bugs:

-RTB

I should also note, the release candidate at stable branch is at the moment, is in feature parity with this minus the support for 1.10.1.  You may want to look at it if wanting a reliable experience now, it's in release candidate status for CKAN. :)

This looks good from the start.  Logs match RC14.

Just now, TranceaddicT said:

This looks good from the start.  Logs match RC14.

Yep, the last fix was a BIT too happy about throwing out an exception for no good reason.  It was an easy fix.  We have enough logspam, last thing we need is unneccesary game crashes because a shaders name isn't what it expected (that's literally all it was).

10 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

We have enough logspam, 

LoL.  I was getting crashes because I was running at the edge of memory capacity (32Gb).  If there was a spike in usage it all came crumbling down.

So, what do you do to fix that ???

MOAR RAM!

I'm now running 4x16Gb.

31 minutes ago, TranceaddicT said:

LoL.  I was getting crashes because I was running at the edge of memory capacity (32Gb).  If there was a spike in usage it all came crumbling down.

So, what do you do to fix that ???

MOAR RAM!

I'm now running 4x16Gb.

I run with 32GBs and don't come close, you must have a insane modslist (not that that's a bad thing!)

Edited by R-T-B

I think solar panels are acting up again.

Ksp 1.10, Kopernikus r18. GPP normal scale.

I have a small ship with a big, tweakscaled (300%) solar panel. The info on the panel reports it should produce 15 energy but when you look in the resource tab you can see that I am in fact losing energy. The ship should consume about 2.6 energy. Note that i was in high atmosphere when that happened.

Pic:
https://imgur.com/a/uabUyUO

Edited by Nicky21

41 minutes ago, Nicky21 said:

I think solar panels are acting up again.

Ksp 1.10, Kopernikus r18. GPP normal scale.

I have a small ship with a big, tweakscaled (300%) solar panel. The info on the panel reports it should produce 15 energy but when you look in the resource tab you can see that I am in fact losing energy. The ship should consume about 2.6 energy. Note that i was in high atmosphere when that happened.

Pic:
https://imgur.com/a/uabUyUO

I don't use TweakScale, but this might be a temporary hotfix:

@TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]:NEEDS[TweakScale,Kopernicus]
{
	@name = KopernicusSolarPanels
}

If that doesn't work, perhaps @Lisias may know what else modifies the ModuleDeployableSolarPanel

You can also just disable Kopernicus's solar panel subsystem, though it was broken (as in it did not turn off) until a release that dropped just tonight (Release 19), so make sure you are on at least that.  Also the Hotfix 3 at stable has it.

https://github.com/R-T-B/Kopernicus/releases

If you are on that or newer, then just put this in a cfg somewhare, and as long as you are not in multistar, your solarpanel should work (it just reverts to stock solar code).  If on multistar planet pack, well, you need Kopernicus then to support multistar and I don't know what can be done, contact the author of TweakScale I guess.

@PART:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]]
{
  %useKopernicusSolarPanels = false
}

Oh, and @hemeac's above solution may work as a fix as well, no idea.

Edited by R-T-B

3 hours ago, hemeac said:

I don't use TweakScale, but this might be a temporary hotfix:

@TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]:NEEDS[TweakScale,Kopernicus]
{
	@name = KopernicusSolarPanels
}

If that doesn't work, perhaps @Lisias may know what else modifies the ModuleDeployableSolarPanel

This will work only if KopernicusSolarPanels has the same values as ModuleDeployableSolarPanel, and it will render any part still using ModuleDeployableSolarPanel misbehaving on scaling as it will loose its exponent.

As a rule of thumb, rewriting "Stock" TweakScale Types and Exponents will lead to problems on existing crafts and savegames, as it will change the behaviour of things made using them.

The best way is to write a new TWEAKSCALEEPONENT for the KopernicusSolarPanels. On a somewhat educated guess:

TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS
{
    name = KopernicusSolarPanels
    // hummm... this thing extends PartModule and doesn't adds any parameters...
}

I remember having trouble trying to use MM ordering modifiers on root nodes, so perhaps you would have some trouble trying :NEEDS on it (don't remember if I ever tried).

3 hours ago, R-T-B said:

contact the author of TweakScale I guess.

I hear someone calling my name? :)

6 hours ago, Lisias said:

This will work only if KopernicusSolarPanels has the same values as ModuleDeployableSolarPanel

Kopernicus SolarPanels now completely replace ModuleDeployableSolarPanels in order to completely override a function including its base, so unless I misunderstand how your mod works, that might work.

Yes, we completely override stock solar math now and just whole replace the module.  And yes, had to be done for multistar.

// hummm... this thing extends PartModule and doesn't adds any parameters...

You are probably looking in the wrong area of the code, like master which we never use.  Look in branch 1.9.  It is extending ModuleDeployableSolarPanel and does pretty much everything short of moving the panels itself.  That blob of math is OhioBob's and I's pride and joy.

https://github.com/prestja/Kopernicus/blob/1.9/src/Kopernicus/Components/KopernicusSolarPanels.cs

I hear someone calling my name? :)

No, I didn't remember your name or I would've used it..  appologies on my part. ;)

Edited by R-T-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.