[1.8.x-1.12.x]R-T-B's Kopernicus Unified "Bleeding Edge" Branch[REACTIVATED]

R-T-B

3 hours ago, boribori said:

The CKAN version seems to include modularflightintegrator in the download and lists itself as incompatible with modularflightintegrator, which is all good, but confusing for people who had modularflightintegrator installed separately.

I think it's because ModularFlightIntegrator gets compiled with each new version? Okay, maybe I assume that's why. I don't even know what MFI does, but I know the install instructions say to delete the Kopernicus and ModularFlightIntegrator folders before any update.

8 hours ago, boribori said:

The CKAN version seems to include modularflightintegrator in the download and lists itself as incompatible with modularflightintegrator, which is all good, but confusing for people who had modularflightintegrator installed separately.

This is a (hopefully temporary) work around for the fact that modularflightintegrator is not listed as 1.10.1 ready (it is though).

As soon as CKAN fixes that I will use a standard dependency model.

5 hours ago, etmoonshade said:

I think it's because ModularFlightIntegrator gets compiled with each new version? Okay, maybe I assume that's why. I don't even know what MFI does, but I know the install instructions say to delete the Kopernicus and ModularFlightIntegrator folders before any update.

Actually, while that certainly is the "best practice" thing to do, ModularFlightIntegrator has been version frozen on Kopernucus for a bit due to lack of anything being broken.  It just seems to work for our needs.

Edited by R-T-B

PSA: An Update to the bleeding edge's "battle plan."  A guide for testers and players going forward:

Given the codebase of stable and the Bleeding Edge are now nearly identical, the time is ripe for major changes to be made in BE and new features added.  For now, we are primarily focused fully on getting 1.10.1 to a point where planet authors can use it and it can be pushed to CKAN stable release status.  There are two blocker issues to this:

1.) Comet Control (beyond the on/off thing we have now)

2.) Control over the new Joolian Shaders

We will work on/implement them in that order.

The first big changes will commence tonight (going to be working real late because that's my schedule), with a build that hopefully will be done by morning (PST TZ) that will basically rewrite the entire Kopernicus Asteroid manager from the ground up with several bugfixes baked in and also, proper comet support.  There are many problems with the present manager (not least of which it not working well with many generated missions), but the rewrite will fix all of them if I can manage it.  The config syntax will remain the same, minus dropping of the "useStockAsteroidGenerator" parameter from Kopernicus_Config.cfg.  It will be removed, and we will finally all be on the Kopernicus generator with full comet support.

The behavior of the new generator will be more in line with what it SHOULD have been like from day 1.  I'll be taking the opurtunity to fix bugs outlined here by @OhioBob.  Yes, this means the new generator will probably behave slightly differently than it used to, but also more CORRECTLY than it used to.  Some packs may need to remove work arounds related to the buggy old generator as a result, we'll see how bad that is.

After the big release tomorrow implementing this, we will bug test the new work over the next few days.  I'll fix any comet related bugs in particular (I expect multistar stuff with comet tails to be odd and require fixing, at least), as well as any bugs with the new asteroid/comet spawner.  Once we are good there, we will move on to Jool shaders and rinse/repeate the bugtesting process.

This entire thing should be done by months end.  Some work has already been done on the sidelines for Joolian Shader support by fellow coder Prestja, so I believe that target is reasonably possible, but as always, no promises.  With any luck, we may beat the release of the next KSP version, which would be nice.

Thanks for reading!  I will update you when this next "big update" pushes out, or you can just grab it from CKAN when told to do so.  Appreciate the testing, as always!

PS:  If you do not desire instability from these changes and are just a "player who wants it to work, with 1.10.1" you can always version freeze at Release 28, which is pretty darn stable.  I won't hold it against you.  We shouldn't really have any horrible issues, but during big changes like this, anything is possible.  It's why we call it the "bleeding edge."

Edited by R-T-B

Hey man, just to warn you incase you don't know: using Scatterer with this mod seems to make the surface unable to be illuminated by the sun, but it's just a minor issue

Amazing mod though, using it with SVT atm

I have one question: what does that GUI do exactly?

Edited by Neil Kermstrong
question

2 hours ago, Neil Kermstrong said:

Hey man, just to warn you incase you don't know: using Scatterer with this mod seems to make the surface unable to be illuminated by the sun, but it's just a minor issue

Amazing mod though, using it with SVT atm

I have one question: what does that GUI do exactly?

I've seen surfaces like oceans illuminated by the sun in my game, don't know about others.  Thanks for letting me know.

If you are asking about the GUI KittopiaTech, it is not needed unless you are a planet dev, but you can play with it.  Hit CTRL+P to see the stuff it can do.  You can basically edit the solar system live.

Or alternatively:  the GUI I posted in previous page of discussion as an image is just CKAN, a package management system for Kerbal mods.  I posted the settings you need to get the latest beta builds through it. 

Speaking of which,

I lied a bit.  Release 29 just dropped. 

This will be the last "pretty darn stable" BE release before the major body-spawner overhaul that may introduce some related bugs but also enable proper comet support.  That update will probably happen sometime late tomorrow, I underestimated the amount of work it will take.

Edited by R-T-B

6 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I've seen surfaces like oceans illuminated by the sun in my game, don't know about others.  Thanks for letting me know.

In my game when I use Scatterer with this mod, it becomes really dark, like some silent hill game but without mist

Can be partially fixed by using planet shine and using max vacuum light intensity, but still it's pretty hard to see things far away

Edit: I'll try and get a picture of the problem, how would one be able to report a bug without proof

Edited by Neil Kermstrong

39 minutes ago, Neil Kermstrong said:

I just placed Scatterer in the folder again and it looks normal now, could swear it was the problem.

But if it exists then yes it does, this person here has had similar problems with Kopernicus (but not your version)

Before I had these illumination problems and solved by removing Scatterer, and now I can't recreate them

Does Scatterer have some sort of cache it keeps around? That might cause issues between upgrades, and would explain why the problem disappeared when you reinstalled (presumably ONLY) Scatterer.

2 hours ago, Neil Kermstrong said:

I don't know, but if yes then that might be the issue.

The Scatterer was installed for about 1 week

Oh.  Scatterer has a few bugs now with black nights, lighting bugs, the sort like that.  They are working on it but it doesn't affect everyone.  At any rate, that is not a Kopernicus issue.  I do appreciate the heads-up though.

12 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Oh.  Scatterer has a few bugs now with black nights, lighting bugs, the sort like that.  They are working on it but it doesn't affect everyone.  At any rate, that is not a Kopernicus issue.  I do appreciate the heads-up though.

Actually you're right, I just googled and found someone with the same exact problem as me, and it was related to Scatterer: darkness and infinite loading.

Now I know the problem was on Scatterer and not on Kopernicus, but I still find it pretty weird how it only happened with Kopernicus

Well, thanks for the attention anyway

1 hour ago, Neil Kermstrong said:

Actually you're right, I just googled and found someone with the same exact problem as me, and it was related to Scatterer: darkness and infinite loading.

Now I know the problem was on Scatterer and not on Kopernicus, but I still find it pretty weird how it only happened with Kopernicus

Well, thanks for the attention anyway

Yeah, I tried to debug it on our end for a bit and finally concluded it just was something from Scatterer-land.  It's an odd one for sure.

No problem, we try to help each other around here. :)

Edited by R-T-B

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

@R-T-B Hi, the work you did on the farmland-patchwork texture issues ... is that only in the BE builds? And if so, will the BE builds work on 1.8.x and/or 1.9.x, or only 1.10.x?

It should be in all buiilds, so I'd go with stable first, but the bleeding edge will run on 1.9.1 too.  Not 1.8 though.  Only the old Kopernicus goes back that far.

Also, the big comet release is here everyone.  Any comet related bugs (and I'm sure they will be there) are appreciated in reports). 

About this release:  It doesn't do everything I want to control by any means but it's the first release with any Kopernicus Control over Comets at all.  It's been pushed to everything Bleeding-Edge related including CKAN.  I hope there isn't too much screaming... lol

Release notes, in particular please note the config file parameters and replace the config files on this install (CKAN does this automatically).

@R-T-B R-T-B released this 8 minutes ago

This is R-T-B's "Bleeding Edge" branch of Kopernicus, intended to support the latest features, KSP editions, and also the latest bugs. Please keep in mind this branch may be more buggy than Prestja's mainline Kopernicus branch, but it also supports more KSP versions and has more features implemented for testing reasons. Many features that make it into mainline Kopernicus are born, tested, and trialed by fire here.

This is release 30. It contains the following changes:

1.) A completely rewritten non-planatary body spawner to support both asteroids and comets. Replace your config files, and pay attention to the Kopernicus_config.cfg parameter "CometPercentage." (1.10.1 only). It is set to 5 by default which is pretty low, you may wish to adjust. It is the percentage of comets relative to asteroid spawns. We plane to improve the customization of comets beyond this very soon.
2.) SENTINEL contracts should now work.
3.) The old "useStockAsteroidGenerator" parameter was removed as it is no longer needed. Remember to replace your config files!
4.) Added "enableComets" boolean to Kopernicus_Config.cfg (true by default) in case you wanted to get rid of comets (1.10.1 only).

Known Bugs:

1.) Fogramp maybe doesn't work right, it's been very buggy in reports lately.

Please download the right output zip for your version. "191" zips are for 1.9.1, "1101" for 1.10.1, etc.

Thanks and as always, report bugs!

-RTB

Edited by R-T-B

3 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

It should be in all buiilds, so I'd go with stable first, but the bleeding edge will run on 1.9.1 too.  Not 1.8 though.  Only the old Kopernicus goes back that far.

Also, the big comet release is here everyone.  It doesn't do everything but it's the first release with any Kopernicus Control over Comets at all.  It's been pushed to everything including CKAN.  I hope there isn't too much screaming... lol

Release notes, in particular please note the config file parameters and replace the config files on this install (CKAN does this automatically).

@R-T-B R-T-B released this 8 minutes ago

This is R-T-B's "Bleeding Edge" branch of Kopernicus, intended to support the latest features, KSP editions, and also the latest bugs. Please keep in mind this branch may be more buggy than Prestja's mainline Kopernicus branch, but it also supports more KSP versions and has more features implemented for testing reasons. Many features that make it into mainline Kopernicus are born, tested, and trialed by fire here.

This is release 30. It contains the following changes:

1.) A completely rewritten non-planatary body spawner to support both asteroids and comets. Replace your config files, and pay attention to the Kopernicus_config.cfg parameter "CometPercentage." It is set to 5 by default which is pretty low, you may wish to adjust. It is the percentage of comets relative to asteroid spawns. We plane to improve the customization of comets beyond this very soon.
2.) SENTINEL contracts should now work.
3.) The old "useStockAsteroidGenerator" parameter was removed as it is no longer needed. Remember to replace your config files!
4.) Added "enableComets" boolean to Kopernicus_Config.cfg (true by default) in case you wanted to get rid of comets (1.10.1 only).

Known Bugs:

1.) Fogramp maybe doesn't work right, it's been very buggy in reports lately.

Please download the right output zip for your version. "191" zips are for 1.9.1, "1101" for 1.10.1, etc.

Thanks and as always, report bugs!

-RTB

Nice job, already downloading

So here's the laydown on comets.

They DO spawn.  Very uncommonly unless you pump up the setting percentage.  But they do.  This is the first time in history Kopernicus has spawned comets using custom code.  Proof below:

V7BXQpm.png

Now, bugs:

1.)  Comet tails point towards whatever star is nearest to the camera.

2.) Comets often fail to aquire a name, and be an "unknown object" forever.

3.) Comets may occasionally spam a nullref of somekind I'm not tracking down easily.

But they do work in concept.  This will be refined over the next few days.

For those not wanting to test, you can always set comets to disabled in config/Kopernicus_config.cfg.  Just set cometsEnabled = false.  This should reduce any bugs from comets massively.

Edited by R-T-B

4 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

So here's the laydown on comets.

They DO spawn.  Very uncommonly unless you pump up the setting percentage.  But they do.  This is the first time in history Kopernicus has spawned comets using custom code.  Proof below:

V7BXQpm.png

Now, bugs:

1.)  Comet tails point towards whatever star is nearest to the camera.

2.) Comets often fail to aquire a name, and be an "unknown object" forever.

3.) Comets may occasionally spam a nullref of somekind I'm not tracking down easily.

But they do work in concept.  This will be refined over the next few days.

For those not wanting to test, you can always set comets to disabled in config/Kopernicus_config.cfg.  Just set cometsEnabled = false.  This should reduce any bugs from comets massively.

YES!  I'm actually so far into this career that I'm kind of waiting for a mod or two to make the challenge a little more exciting (not hard, exciting) and catching comets....... already hard, but catching them now that they have tails should be the "ooo" factor I need to play a couple more in game years (or 30). lol

Great news on the progress with the comets!  All of your works is greatly appreciated.

I'm considering starting a new game in 1.10 (this with JNSQ), and looking forward to comets.  I know the current comets need work, but will it be ok to start a new game, and update kopernicus as time goes on, or do you recommend waiting (that is, will future updates to comets be included/compatible with existing saves, or will they require a new game)?  I don't think I'll get to the comets for maybe 3 real life months, so I was thinking I would start now, update as time goes on, and get to comets later.  But I can wait patiently if you recommend that :)

2 hours ago, ble210 said:

Great news on the progress with the comets!  All of your works is greatly appreciated.

I'm considering starting a new game in 1.10 (this with JNSQ), and looking forward to comets.  I know the current comets need work, but will it be ok to start a new game, and update kopernicus as time goes on, or do you recommend waiting (that is, will future updates to comets be included/compatible with existing saves, or will they require a new game)?  I don't think I'll get to the comets for maybe 3 real life months, so I was thinking I would start now, update as time goes on, and get to comets later.  But I can wait patiently if you recommend that :)

The largest issue with comets right now is that they basically don't spawn very often, and when they do, they usually have no distinct name.  If you are ok with a few "Unknown Objects" floating around you can certainly start now.  It's nothing game breaking, and there'll probably be bugfixes for different issues each day so it'll only get better.

On 9/22/2020 at 4:42 PM, Nova1 said:

Ckan wont let me apply the bleeding edge version of the Kopernicus mod.

Have you followed the directions to apply in (in OP?)  If so, what error are you getting?

Make sure you have uninstalled ModularFlightIntegrator before switching, it will be autoincluded with the Bleeding Edge version (reverse intuitive I know).

Edited by R-T-B

19 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Have you followed the directions to apply in (in OP?)  If so, what error are you getting?

Make sure you have uninstalled modulemanager before switching, it will be autoincluded with the Bleeding Edge version (reverse intuitive I know).

That was the problem, Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.