[1.8.x-1.12.x]R-T-B's Kopernicus Unified "Bleeding Edge" Branch[REACTIVATED]

R-T-B

19 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I would ask people what scatter density they have set first. The 100% density is not realistic to achieve good performance. Tell people to turn it down to 10% or something before making sweeping changes that affect all users.

I would feel personally 100% should be usable, but there are of course other drawbacks to that.  The approach I am suggesting is not hardcoded mind, just a default value in a config file.

16 hours ago, RyanRising said:

While I don’t doubt you’ve put some thought into that, I’m curious as to why it’s unrealistic to have good performance with Kopernicus planet packs’ scatters at 100% when stock scatters seem to do just fine (or at least not as badly) at that level? 

It's a valid question.  The answer is Kopernicus's custom scatter code is awful in terms of performance.  I did not write it either, so fixing it is hard.

Edited by R-T-B

@R-T-B I needed to install this for the Parallax mod, and I've noticed a curious thing, the monolith and a radio tower at the old Baikerbanur site has vanished. I'm using Kerbinside remastered and kerbal konstructs, and had assumed they were responsible for the missing objects, but another user in that forum was sharing screenshots with me, and they are there for him, but he's not using Parallax/bleeding edge, so I thought I'd ask in these 2 forums. Kerbinside and parallax and dependencies are the only mods I use that affect terrain and visuals [as far as I'm aware] everything else is parts and gameplay effectors, KAS,KIS, autopilot, mechjeb, etc. It's not a huge deal, just something I'm curious about and asking around.

26 minutes ago, vardicd said:

has vanished

I'd bet they are now clipped into KSC2 VAB, standing at exactly same game coordinates as the VAB. I was playing GEP and launchpad was clipped into VAB too, spawn point was on the roof of it. It's kind of bad interaction between KK and Kopernicus. Keep in mind KK was not updated since 1.8 and Tahiwha is doing something, but hadn't updated it yet.

1 hour ago, Hohmannson said:

I'd bet they are now clipped into KSC2 VAB, standing at exactly same game coordinates as the VAB. I was playing GEP and launchpad was clipped into VAB too, spawn point was on the roof of it. It's kind of bad interaction between KK and Kopernicus. Keep in mind KK was not updated since 1.8 and Tahiwha is doing something, but hadn't updated it yet.

That explains it, like I said not a big issue, was just curious, hasn't affected my gameplay any. I thought I was going nuts at first, and was just remembering there being a monolith that wasn't actually there, and then I got show screenshots of it, and a radio dish that had vanished, so started asking around.

Most likely due to you having Modular Flight Integrator already installed as a dependency of another mod. Uninstall MFI, via CKAN (which will also uninstall mods dependent on it), then install Kopernicus BE 1101_58, then reinstall the other mods that got uninstalled.

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

Most likely due to you having Modular Flight Integrator already installed as a dependency of another mod. Uninstall MFI, via CKAN (which will also uninstall mods dependent on it), then install Kopernicus BE 1101_58, then reinstall the other mods that got uninstalled.

Or wait until later today, when I am finally going back to mainline MFI.  It'll ease several oddities like that.  Hopefully we never leave it again.

Note we still will have this weird system on KSP 1.11 until MFI marks itself as compatible with KSP 1.11, but I can't help that.  I'll ping sarbian about it on github.

Edited by R-T-B

yep, and that's the final straw for my self hosted approach.  We are migrating to github soon, updates to follow when my internet is restored.

My biggest mistake was trusting my ISP...  lol

Edited by R-T-B

57 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Your server is obviously vacuum optimised if your Isp performance is so low in its current state. :sticktongue:

Well technically I am posting via cell link.  I'm pretty sure if I threw my server onto that the 1mbps upload would choke and die (yes I got the joke, I am just...  irritated with my internet)...

Here is the new github link, for the curious.  Instructions will be updated shortly:

https://github.com/R-T-B/CKAN-meta-dev-Kopernicus_BE/archive/master.tar.gz

The old repo will still work, and be maintained, but it'll go down anytime I have a poweroutage (like right now).  Just use the above one, really.  You can update to it by removing the old repo in CKAN and adding the new automagically made one.

Edited by R-T-B

On 1/8/2021 at 6:26 PM, Poodmund said:

You realise there's a slider that allows for scatter density? Did you previously have it on 100%? If so, try turning it down to something like 15% and see if you can get a reasonable refresh rate.

Why do you ask if it was on 100% have I missed something somewhere that we shouldn't? What is happening there. 

Edited by dave1904

2 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Why do you ask if it was on 100% have I missed something somewhere that we shouldn't? What is happening there. 

The more ground scatter objects that you have on screen the lower your game performance will be as these ground scatter objects are, relatively, incredibly taxing. If you currently have this set to 100% you will be rendering hundreds and hundreds of trees and rocks on the ground surface which is likely tanking your FPS. Turn this setting down to a value much lower, if you currently have it on 100%, and see how it improves your performance.

2 hours ago, Poodmund said:

The more ground scatter objects that you have on screen the lower your game performance will be as these ground scatter objects are, relatively, incredibly taxing. If you currently have this set to 100% you will be rendering hundreds and hundreds of trees and rocks on the ground surface which is likely tanking your FPS. Turn this setting down to a value much lower, if you currently have it on 100%, and see how it improves your performance.

I understand that the more you render the more you loose performance but not that much performance. The same amount of trees are being rendered on screen from what I can see. Kopernicus, rescale and OPM are way more important than scatters so they shall remain disabled. I was just curious. 

Anyway these are my test results. Maybe they are useful to someone.  Its also the most extreme on Kerbin around trees. Its very playable on all other planets.  40-100FPS on ultra. Trees seem to be the biggest issue. 

10700k 3080 1.11.0 On kerbin. 

Everything on ultra low 3440x1440 

Stock game NO terrain scatters  257FPS

Stock game WITH terrain scatters 100 % 223FPS. 15% impact. 

Kopernicus  NO terrain scatters 210FPS

Kopernicus WITH terrain scatters 100 % 15FPS.

Everything on ultra settings 3440x1440

Stock game NO terrain scatters 100FPS

Stock game WITH terrain scatters 100 % 88FPS 

Kopernicus  NO terrain scatters 100FPS. 

Kopernicus WITH terrain scatters 100 % 12FPS.  

Edited by dave1904

1 hour ago, dave1904 said:

I understand that the more you render the more you loose performance but not that much performance. The same amount of trees are being rendered on screen from what I can see. Kopernicus, rescale and OPM are way more important than scatters so they shall remain disabled. I was just curious. 

Anyway these are my test results. Maybe they are useful to someone.  Its also the most extreme on Kerbin around trees. Its very playable on all other planets.  40-100FPS on ultra. Trees seem to be the biggest issue. 

10700k 3080 1.11.0 On kerbin. 

Everything on ultra low 3440x1440 

Stock game NO terrain scatters  257FPS

Stock game WITH terrain scatters 100 % 223FPS. 15% impact. 

Kopernicus  NO terrain scatters 210FPS

Kopernicus WITH terrain scatters 100 % 15FPS.

Everything on ultra settings 3440x1440

Stock game NO terrain scatters 100FPS

Stock game WITH terrain scatters 100 % 88FPS 

Kopernicus  NO terrain scatters 100FPS. 

Kopernicus WITH terrain scatters 100 % 12FPS.  

As I mentioned there is no denying the way Kopernicus presently implements scatters is dog slow and needs improvement.  We are on it, but as of right now the only work arounds are to reduce scatter draw distance (in Kopernicus/Config/KopernicusConfig.cfg, something like scatterCullDistance, value is in meters) or reduce the percentage, or both.

We aren't saying it's working as intended.  We are offering work arounds until we sort it out, which may be a bit.

EDIT:  Also my server is back up, and though it will be maintained, I would not advise using it over the new github one.

Edited by R-T-B

12 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

As I mentioned there is no denying the way Kopernicus presently implements scatters is dog slow and needs improvement.  We are on it, but as of right now the only work arounds are to reduce scatter draw distance (in Kopernicus/Config/KopernicusConfig.cfg, something like scatterCullDistance, value is in meters) or reduce the percentage, or both.

We aren't saying it's working as intended.  We are offering work arounds until we sort it out, which may be a bit.

EDIT:  Also my server is back up, and though it will be maintained, I would not advise using it over the new github one.

I didn't get the impression anyone was denying anything. I was just wondering what was going on because it is interesting from a technical point of you. A couple of posts back you mentioned FPS feedback so I thought I would post it. 

BTW. I thought your avatar was masterchief until i realized it was a frog. Is that just me? The mouth is the visor. 

1395269-master.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.