Warp drive?

Awaras

I'm a be incorporating Alcubierre Drives into my webcomic. They'll usually be fitted to old probes and vessels that either need only a speed boost that the FTL drive would provide, or vessels that are aimed at someplace far off that makes relativity a nuisance - we don't, after all, want the vessel to take us 400 years to arrive somewhere when it will seem to its crew to arrive there in 100.

I'm doing an RP on the TwoKinds forum where the setting is a Haven Holidays space cruiseliner called the Sanctuary. Despite obviously being designed as a sci-fi vessel, it's only artificial gravity comes from centrifuges, it's structure is reminiscent of the concept of a near-future Mars mission vessel, it carries coldsleep chambers for the long voyage, and is fitted with an Alcubierre Drive that allows it to flout relativity - and, of course, allow it to better use its main engines' delta-V capacity.

Also, since 'warp drive' is associated with Star Trek, and 'Alcubierre Drive' is a bit of a mouthful, the version in my webcomic is known as a TADPOLE Drive - Tachyonic Accelleration Direct Over LightspEed Drive. It makes a word, and it sounds sort of cool. Like the Caterpillar from Hunt For Red October.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.